HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Better team: Boston or San Jose?

View Poll Results: Who is the better team?
Boston Bruins, 25-5-4 46 17.10%
San Jose Sharks, 27-4-3 210 78.07%
Even 13 4.83%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2008, 02:58 PM
  #126
FallsForItEveryYear
Registered User
 
FallsForItEveryYear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,832
vCash: 500



Dr. Quincy I don't think its getting through to him lol.



thats the closest i could get to a "that one went over his head" symbol

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 06:15 PM
  #127
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
i went with the homer pick on this one, but i definitely need to start watching boston games especially after the result tonight that i did watch.

for some reason I just can't believe tomas can keep up this pace all season long. whenever i watch him i can't believe he is an nhl goalie because his style is unlike any other goalie's. reminds me a bit of hasek how he is all over the ice sometimes. he is making it work, and if he stays consistant and the sharks are in fact for real this year we may find out who is better in the post season...



So SJ playing teamsthat are as jacked as they will be for a regular season game because they are playing the best team in the Western Conference doesn't make things hard on the sharks? silly logic there my friend. SJ and Boston get just about every teams best game which makes what they are doing even more impressive. saying one would stomp the other or that one is by far better than the other is a bit of a stretch...
That's were Manny Fernandez comes in. His stats are almost as good as Thomas'.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 06:17 PM
  #128
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Way to completely miss the point. Of course Schaefer's teeny sample means absolutely nothing. But you totally ignore the 94 non-Nabokov games which is certainly enough of a sample to look at. The numbers pretty much show that even mediocore goalies are going to get wins when they play for a very good team, which is why wins (which is the stat Sharks fans love to use when talking about Nabokov) are meaningless when used to judge goalies.

You've actually refuted your own argument. Yes... even Nolan Schaefer can win with Thornton, Marleau, Michalek, et al playing in front of him, which is why any rational person looks at stats other than wins when judging goalies.
Sounds like Detroit...

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 06:26 PM
  #129
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 27,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Sounds like Detroit...
Sounds like stats may not be the only thing to look at for goalies...

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:10 AM
  #130
SlickM32
Registered User
 
SlickM32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,305
vCash: 500
Gotta go with Boston based on the fact better 5 v 5 ration, gpg, gapg, and the two headed monster in Thomas and MFMF, plus we've had major injuries and players will be coming back.

and I'm a homer....

SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:17 AM
  #131
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 21,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
How many GWGs did he net, again?

Why to people attribute team accomplishments to goalies...?
The point was that his track record is better than Thomas'. having such a big differential in wins and playoff performance proves longevity (which IMO is key when referring to a track record.)

BTW, he doesn't have a GWG, but he does have a PPG

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:15 PM
  #132
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticSharkie View Post
The point was that his track record is better than Thomas'. having such a big differential in wins and playoff performance proves longevity (which IMO is key when referring to a track record.)

BTW, he doesn't have a GWG, but he does have a PPG
I guess that means Aaron Ward is better than Vlasic. Having such a big differential in wins and playoff performance proves longevity (which IMO is key when referring to a track record).

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:50 PM
  #133
RoadDoggFL
Registered User
 
RoadDoggFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Colombia
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticSharkie View Post
The point was that his track record is better than Thomas'. having such a big differential in wins and playoff performance proves longevity (which IMO is key when referring to a track record.)

BTW, he doesn't have a GWG, but he does have a PPG
A track record he got playing for a strong team...

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 11:17 PM
  #134
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 21,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I guess that means Aaron Ward is better than Vlasic. Having such a big differential in wins and playoff performance proves longevity (which IMO is key when referring to a track record).
Reading comprehension is a fine skill. When did I ever make a debate about Thomas or nabokov being better than the other?

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 09:24 AM
  #135
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticSharkie View Post
Reading comprehension is a fine skill. When did I ever make a debate about Thomas or nabokov being better than the other?
Pedantic much?

Ok is this better?

The point was that Aaron Wards track record is better than Vlasic's. having such a big differential in wins and playoff performance proves longevity (which IMO is key when referring to a track record.)

I've kept your exact words and only switched the names.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 01:54 PM
  #136
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 35,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Pedantic much?

Ok is this better?

The point was that Aaron Wards track record is better than Vlasic's. having such a big differential in wins and playoff performance proves longevity (which IMO is key when referring to a track record.)

I've kept your exact words and only switched the names.
I understand your point but to me, this is no different than the argument that happened two years ago when Toskala and Nabokov were splitting time. Neither were considered top ten goaltenders at the time because neither were the workhorse. I don't see how that's any different than Thomas and Fernandez.

You can make the argument that Thomas is having the better season to date. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that Nabby is the better goalie.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 02:11 PM
  #137
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I understand your point but to me, this is no different than the argument that happened two years ago when Toskala and Nabokov were splitting time. Neither were considered top ten goaltenders at the time because neither were the workhorse. I don't see how that's any different than Thomas and Fernandez.

You can make the argument that Thomas is having the better season to date. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that Nabby is the better goalie.
Oh I am totally with you on the fact that there is an increased value in having a guy who can play 65-75 games a year. No doubt. All things equal, if you have 2 guys with similar rates of production, the guy who plays more is definitely more valuable.

And I agree with everything you said in your last paragraph.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:12 PM
  #138
RapidFire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
200 for sj to 45 for boston unsurprisingly....

RapidFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
  #139
RapidFire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Wow.

They're both great teams. The splitting hairs on every little thing is ridiculous.

2/10/09. I think we can have a clearer view of who's better on that day.
1 game doesnt determine anything whether either san jose or boston wins by 1 goal or by 10 goals.

How about we wait until the date April 12, 2009 when they've played the entire season, and we could also find out if any other team(s) end up playing a better season than the both of them.

RapidFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
  #140
DarKarTs
Registered User
 
DarKarTs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,686
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DarKarTs Send a message via MSN to DarKarTs Send a message via Skype™ to DarKarTs
Both great teams, I would love the Bruins if they lived in a different city, but I hate boston and their teams.

DarKarTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.