HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Anderson

Old
12-26-2008, 02:37 PM
jol

vCash: 500
Anderson

What's going to happen to him after this season? Today's Sun-Sentinel is speculating:
"The Panthers likely won't try to keep Anderson. Vokoun, with a no-trade clause in his contract, will make $12 million combined the next two seasons, and Florida's first draft pick (No. 31 overall) in June, 18-year-old Jacob Markstrom, already is starting in Sweden's Elite League. He's expected to be the franchise's future goalie."

What will Panthers do? Wait till end of the season, goaltending is doing very well right now, it would be sad to break that? Would they trade Vokoun (if he's willing to leave)? Or maybe Anderson is willing to serve as backup goalie? Anyways that would be very expensive solution.

Here's whole article, who ever signs him should have a clause in contract which prohibits car racing.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...,4897264.story

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 02:43 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
I would rather keep the proven started who is signed, rather than sign the unproven starter and trade Vokoun.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 03:02 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
I would rather keep the proven started who is signed, rather than sign the unproven starter and trade Vokoun.
I agree.

As much as I would love to keep this duo of goaltenders I doubt we will have enough cap space to resign Anderson and potentially resign Bouw, and a good center next year.
Plus, I rather have Vokoun here to help out Markstrom if needed.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 03:34 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Plus, I rather have Vokoun here to help out Markstrom if needed.
This.

I'd imagine that even a year playing with Vokoun will do wonders for Markstrom when he comes over.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 04:22 PM
CanadianPantherFan

He compares him to an Alex Auld.

I kinda know what PDB means by that ....but still that is his worst quote of the year bar none

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 10:54 PM
jol

It looks like Vokoun/Anderson are not making choice any easier.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:02 AM
VirtualSpree

to be honest I'd rather have anderson/markstrom, mainly because Anderson seems to be well liked in the locker room, and I can't really say the same for Vokoun. But it doesn't look like we'll be able to get rid of vokoun because of the NTC

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:09 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
to be honest I'd rather have anderson/markstrom, mainly because Anderson seems to be well liked in the locker room, and I can't really say the same for Vokoun. But it doesn't look like we'll be able to get rid of vokoun because of the NTC
Yeah, I recently spoke to DeBoer and a few players about the locker room dynamics, too.

oh wait

Old
12-27-2008, 12:29 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Uhh... Vokoun's exactly the kind of player you want in the locker room.

He's the most deserving player to be captain, and has been since he came to the Panthers.

Old
12-27-2008, 03:22 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Uhh... Vokoun's exactly the kind of player you want in the locker room.

He's the most deserving player to be captain, and has been since he came to the Panthers.
Not really, most deserving would be backing up what you say with your play on the ice. McCabe, Stillman, Booth, Weiss, and Ballard are a few who've done that more than T-Vo. I love the guy, but he's been too inconsistent this season. Weiss should be the next captain, imo. Or, Stillman or McCabe until they're gone.

12-27-2008, 05:50 AM
39ontheline

Quote:
What the hell?

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 07:32 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Not really, most deserving would be backing up what you say with your play on the ice. McCabe, Stillman, Booth, Weiss, and Ballard are a few who've done that more than T-Vo. I love the guy, but he's been too inconsistent this season. Weiss should be the next captain, imo. Or, Stillman or McCabe until they're gone.
Even captains hit slumps. And it's funny to knock him so soon after back-to-back shutouts. He doesn't slink away from taking the blame and regardless has at least been the most deserving player for most of his time here.

Old
12-27-2008, 08:17 AM
SufferingCatFan

There are really three questions that need to be answered. First, is Anderson really a No.1 goalie, or is he a solid back up, who cannot handle the grind of playing 80% of the games? Second, if he is a No.1 goalie, how much would the Panthers have to pay to resign him? Third, would Vokoun waive his NMC and, if so, what is his trade value?

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 08:26 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
There are really three questions that need to be answered. First, is Anderson really a No.1 goalie, or is he a solid back up, who cannot handle the grind of playing 80% of the games? Second, if he is a No.1 goalie, how much would the Panthers have to pay to resign him? Third, would Vokoun waive his NMC and, if so, what is his trade value?
Well since Im an NHL GM, and do some tarot card readings on the side, let me tell you:

1. Nobody knows if he really is a No. 1 or not, but we will find out next season though, either here or somewhere else. I think both of our goalies have their own flaws and abilities. I think both seem to have lapses at time, but for a #1 making as much as he does, it happens to often for me. Andy seems to be the better positional goalie, and doesnt give up as many rebounds. Vokoun is better in the SOs, but he tends to over commit to the play, which gets him out of position.

2. I would think with several goaltenders available in the offseason, it would probably cost us around $2.5-3 million to sign him in the offseason. Re-signing Andy, and getting a backup to play 20-30 games would cost us as much as Vokoun alone next year, if that.

3. Vokoun is a competitor, and Im sure if he was the given possibility to play more in another city (Ottawa), he would probably waive it.

Dont get me wrong, I like Vokoun, and his play the last two games prior to the Bolts game were outstanding. His issue here has always been three things; his over aggressiveness, his poor starts to the season, and his mental lapses. Two of those three goals last night should NOT of gone in. It wouldnt be the worst thing to keep both, but its not going to happen. Its up to Martin and PDB to decide who they want to keep.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
This.

I'd imagine that even a year playing with Vokoun will do wonders for Markstrom when he comes over.
Completely disagree. While Vokoun certainly has the experience and track record with his stats, as a goalie I can tell you that his style and mechanics are not very good, and definitley not what you want to teach a young goalie. Maybe his competiveness and so forth but his mechanics are very shaky which is why you see him giving up goals that make you wonder, and he has always done that. Anderson, on the other hand, has incredibly solid mechanics, always seems to be in the right place and square to the shooters. If we could trade Vokoun and his salary I would and use it to get some scorers, sign Anderson for less than half of what Vokoun makes, and get another goalie until Markstrom is ready. Vokoun show flashes of brilliances and then last night happens way too often.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:11 AM
harv3317

vokoun is extremely frustrating. he ruined my sleep after the bolts game. he is too aggresive and out of position!!! he lapses mentally occasionally and when handling the puck is too aggresive and many times does the wrong thing.on the other hand andy is good fundamenatlly , is more stable and in control mentally and seems to be more of a player favorite. i would offer andy an extension now and try to get him on the cheap. if that happens i have no problem trading vokoun and bring in another adequate backup.
vokuon is just to frustrating, is mentally frail imo, is out of position and scrambling to much and doesn't seem to be the players favorite!!!!
btw vokuon let in 2 goal in the last shutout which were disallowed and he let in 3 against the bolts. 2 of them where BAD goals!!!
vokuondoes not emit confidence for me. i'm always waiting for his next screw up, or bad goal!!!!!
p.s the ntc is no problem. i'm sure if he's sitting he will want to play somewhere else!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:03 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Completely disagree. While Vokoun certainly has the experience and track record with his stats, as a goalie I can tell you that his style and mechanics are not very good, and definitley not what you want to teach a young goalie. Maybe his competiveness and so forth but his mechanics are very shaky which is why you see him giving up goals that make you wonder, and he has always done that. Anderson, on the other hand, has incredibly solid mechanics, always seems to be in the right place and square to the shooters. If we could trade Vokoun and his salary I would and use it to get some scorers, sign Anderson for less than half of what Vokoun makes, and get another goalie until Markstrom is ready. Vokoun show flashes of brilliances and then last night happens way too often.
You have read that Anderson credits Vokoun for helping him get where he is now, right? It's not Vokoun's style he was talking about. It's his work ethic that has rubbed off on Anderson and would rub off on Markstrom. Markstrom isn't going to come over and adopt a brand new style just because Vokoun has it.

And, I am going to completely disagree with you that his style is "not very good". That's just silly. A goalie does not have to be a pure butterfly goalie to be a good goalie.

Last edited by StrangeVision: 12-27-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old
12-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Even captains hit slumps. And it's funny to knock him so soon after back-to-back shutouts. He doesn't slink away from taking the blame and regardless has at least been the most deserving player for most of his time here.
His back-to-backs negate his play earlier in the season? That's what I was actually referencing.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 05:51 PM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
His back-to-backs negate his play earlier in the season? That's what I was actually referencing.
His play earlier in the season negates his stellar play (rated #1 by Hockey Analytics, I believe) last season?

Old
12-27-2008, 06:30 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
His play earlier in the season negates his stellar play (rated #1 by Hockey Analytics, I believe) last season?
Of course it does. He obviously went from arguably the best goalie in the league to a goalie worse than Anderson and not worth his cap hit.

Old
12-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
You have read that Anderson credits Vokoun for helping him get where he is now, right? It's not Vokoun's style he was talking about. It's his work ethic that has rubbed off on Anderson and would rub off on Markstrom. Markstrom isn't going to come over and adopt a brand new style just because Vokoun has it.

And, I am going to completely disagree with you that his style is "not very good". That's just silly. A goalie does not have to be a pure butterfly goalie to be a good goalie.
Never read anything that Anderson creditted his success to Vokoun, and I did say that his competetiveness was good so I'm not sure what you're arguing. I also never said that a goalie has to be a pure butterfly goalie either, so again not sure what your argument is there. Two of the best mechanical goalies we've had here were Beezer and Vernon, both smaller guys that could not be butterfly because of their size but they always seemed to be in the right place and did not appear as shaky as Vokoun does, even when he is playing well, or poorly like he was last night, tonight and just two seconds ago in that goal he just gave up. I don't even think the butterfly is the best style and I don't even use it, but yes usually the good butterfly goalies like Roy or Luongo are very solid mechanically. I couldn't even describe Vokoun's style, not even a hybrid, just all over the place.

Like Harv said, you are almost waiting for the next soft goal, because we're so used to it. As far as Markstrom picking up bad habits, as a young goalie he definitely could, and the argument made here was that Vokoun would be a good teacher and I say I don't want him near that. Markstrom's strength is his size and positioning and you don't want him learning bad habits early.

Old
12-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Slick Cat

and I'll add the goal he just gave up since the last post, off the boards through his legs, completely out of position, no clue where the puck was, and in the net

Old
12-27-2008, 08:57 PM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Never read anything that Anderson creditted his success to Vokoun
You never read it so he must've never said it...
Quote:
and I did say that his competetiveness was good so I'm not sure what you're arguing. I also never said that a goalie has to be a pure butterfly goalie either, so again not sure what your argument is there. Two of the best mechanical goalies we've had here were Beezer and Vernon, both smaller guys that could not be butterfly because of their size but they always seemed to be in the right place and did not appear as shaky as Vokoun does, even when he is playing well, or poorly like he was last night, tonight and just two seconds ago in that goal he just gave up. I don't even think the butterfly is the best style and I don't even use it, but yes usually the good butterfly goalies like Roy or Luongo are very solid mechanically. I couldn't even describe Vokoun's style, not even a hybrid, just all over the place.

Like Harv said, you are almost waiting for the next soft goal, because we're so used to it. As far as Markstrom picking up bad habits, as a young goalie he definitely could, and the argument made here was that Vokoun would be a good teacher and I say I don't want him near that. Markstrom's strength is his size and positioning and you don't want him learning bad habits early.
Markstrom would spend more time with Vokoun off the ice than on it, and I doubt he'll be learning technique from him rather than the goalie coach...
Quote:
and I'll add the goal he just gave up since the last post, off the boards through his legs, completely out of position, no clue where the puck was, and in the net
Yet you in no way blame the D and McCabe giving up on the play when he had all the time in the world to back him up. When Andy gives up a rebound the team's all over it, nice of people to notice.

Old
12-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
You never read it so he must've never said it...

Markstrom would spend more time with Vokoun off the ice than on it, and I doubt he'll be learning technique from him rather than the goalie coach...

Yet you in no way blame the D and McCabe giving up on the play when he had all the time in the world to back him up. When Andy gives up a rebound the team's all over it, nice of people to notice.
Never said that it never happened just that I never read it, and if he did say it, what do you expect? The backup goalie needs to be the ultimate team player, he's not going to trash the starter. Regardless of what happened on the play he was completely out of position, he should have been in a better spot to play the puck off the boards. He took himself completely out of the play. When Andy gives up a rebound he is usually still in position and the rebounds are not right to the other team's player waiting for the open net he left. Are you saying that the team plays better in front of Andy, is that your argument? If that is really the case than who should be our starting goalie?

Old
12-28-2008, 12:39 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Are you saying that the team plays better in front of Andy, is that your argument? If that is really the case than who should be our starting goalie?
That's your solution? Hang Vokoun out to dry rather than get to the bottom of why the team plays poorly in front of him? Why isn't anyone calling for Welch or McCabe's head for not backing Vokoun up on a rebound that would've been so routine to clear on St Louis's goal?

Oh yeah, it's easier to complain about Vokoun. Just wait until the team plays like that in front of Andy. Yeah, great plan.