HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Anderson

Old
12-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Tuco

vCash: 500
Vokoun's somewhat unconsistent play together with his contract make him untradeable when he plays poorly and most here want to trade him. When he plays well, nobody wants to trade him. So, he will likely stay until Markstrom takes over.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 08:20 AM
SC2008

How do you bench the league leader in Save %and 2nd in GAA? Anderson needs to play. He's on my fantasy roster

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Now we've uncovered the REAL reason for the anti-Vokoun sentiment!

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:42 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
How do you bench the league leader in Save %and 2nd in GAA? Anderson needs to play. He's on my fantasy roster
Because he's not going to play 80% of the game left in the season, so we need to find out what the deal is with all the factors attributing to Vokoun's "poor" performance (he still has the stats of a starter).

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Georgia Panther

I just hope that DeBoer plays who he thinks is the best goalie rather than who JM has the most money and no-trade clause invested in. And what's wrong in trying to keep both goalies hot rather than riding one until he loses a couple in a row while the other sits getting cold on the bench? Establish a set goalie rotation if in your mind you have two starting goalies as DeBoer has "said" and stick to it regardless if the guy pitches a shutout or stinks the joint up until and unless one or the other has established a clear cut advantage and then make that guy the number one. If they both play well then you have two hot goalies rather then throwing a couple games away waiting for one guy to cool off while the other one is cooling his heals on the bench needing to warm up in a hurry when the other one stumbles.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
I just hope that DeBoer plays who he thinks is the best goalie rather than who JM has the most money and no-trade clause invested in. And what's wrong in trying to keep both goalies hot rather than riding one until he loses a couple in a row while the other sits getting cold on the bench? Establish a set goalie rotation if in your mind you have two starting goalies as DeBoer has "said" and stick to it regardless if the guy pitches a shutout or stinks the joint up until and unless one or the other has established a clear cut advantage and then make that guy the number one. If they both play well then you have two hot goalies rather then throwing a couple games away waiting for one guy to cool off while the other one is cooling his heals on the bench needing to warm up in a hurry when the other one stumbles.
My point is that because of Vokoun's contract situation we will likely have Vokoun for the rest of his contract, which means goodbye to Andy after this season (since he will likely demand a hefty pay rise). So IMO Vokoun should play most games unless he stinks, and then Andy gets his chance. So, ride Andy when he's hot, otherwise Vokoun plays.

And I just can't get this team's tendency to play better when the back-up is in the net, it's beyond me. It's something we need to get rid of.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
2. I would think with several goaltenders available in the offseason, it would probably cost us around $2.5-3 million to sign him in the offseason. Re-signing Andy, and getting a backup to play 20-30 games would cost us as much as Vokoun alone next year, if that.
Why would you assume he'd get that much? There's so few teams that need starters that dont have a equal or better option. Thus, Andy would just be a backup anywhere else he'd go also. This coaching staff has already proven to him that if he's playing well, he'll get the possibility to start on this team. Or any team that would need a 1a/1b starter type, barely has the cap space to afford to pay that much (like Detroit)

Also, what makes you think he can command that salary. When Tim Thomas finally started showing something to Boston, they didn't give him $2.5-3 million. He got $1.1 million (on average) which is obviously a bargin now. But he's continued to prove that he deserves more so now this summer he's going to cash out. My guess is his salary will be closer to $1.25-2 million than closer to double that which you're suggesting.

Last, there are several backups that can be signed that won't make $2 million either. Unless the guy being signed has been a previous proven starter for a long time (like Kolzig from last summer), then most available guys will be signed for no more than $1.5 million as well. Thus you're not paying the same amount as Vokuon next yr. Regardless, you'd end up saving at the minimum close to $1 million and considering that the cap will probably go down next season, thats valuable savings.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Danny Tanner*

now ive seen it all. people citing vokouns mechanics as a reason to trade him? laughable.

dominik hasek probably had the worst mechanics in the modern era and is a sure-fire HOFer with 2 stanley cups. maybe detroit and buffalo shoulda gotten rid of him too?

vokoun is very aggressive. he cuts the angles so, most of the time, shooters have nothing to shoot at. he challenges shooters. an aggressive goalie is a sign of a confident goalie. when you see guys back in their net is when they struggle with the mental aspect (marty turco this season, for example)

his aggressiveness allows him to make saves he has no business making. he anticipates the play as well as any goalie which is why you see him make some saves in situations (such as a 2-on-1) look routine. just because he doesnt over-dramaticize the save like luongo used to doesnt make the save any less incredible.

his aggressiveness will leave him out of position when either (a- our defenders dont do their job (joe corvos OT winner) or b) - on flukey bounces (st.louis goal last night)

you are all over-analyzing the situation here. there are reasons why his statistics are always near-or above .920 save% and he always has a winning record. our team last season was awful and he kept us in playoff contention all year. suddenly hes always out of position, too aggressive and just a burden to the players in front of him? give me a break!

regardless of his hybrid style and unorthodox (not poor) mechanics, he has proven himself as a top-10 goalie in this league and that hasnt changed. he is not the problem here and anyone pointing the finger at him just isnt watching the games.

Danny Tanner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 03:11 PM
harv3317

sorry, i disagree!!! i no longer believe vokoun is a top 10 goalie in this league!!!!! he lets in too many soft goals and many times has failed to make the big save at a crucial times. he cost us 2 games against tampa even if we didn't play well!!!!! we scored enough goals to win both games!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
sorry, i disagree!!! i no longer believe vokoun is a top 10 goalie in this league!!!!! he lets in too many soft goals and many times has failed to make the big save at a crucial times. he cost us 2 games against tampa even if we didn't play well!!!!! we scored enough goals to win both games!!!!!
where were you after the back to back shutouts? no one is saying that vokoun played well the last two games - but two games doesnt make a career. he's a top-10 goalie. period.

were these the same people complaining that luongo allowed too many soft goals in his last two years here? i think vancouver is plenty happy with him now.

Danny Tanner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 04:07 PM
RainingRats

It is so easy to Monday morning quarterback the goal tending situation here. We should just be fortunate to have such a quality duo.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 09:00 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Vokoun's salary and NTC has nothing to do with him being played. Where was this mentality when Andy got the start after Boston when he started several games straight before that? DeBoer was just doing the same for Vokoun that worked for Andy, he didn't expect the team to not show up twice in a row.

Last edited by RoadDoggFL: 12-28-2008 at 10:57 PM.
RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 03:41 PM
harv3317

vokouns second shutout had TWO disallowed goals bunched in!!!!! in reality it was a shutout, but he allowed 2 behind him anyway!!!!!! one right at the end of the period which was a millisecong late and beat vokoun easily.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
vokouns second shutout had TWO disallowed goals bunched in!!!!! in reality it was a shutout, but he allowed 2 behind him anyway!!!!!! one right at the end of the period which was a millisecong late and beat vokoun easily.
You mean he actually let in a goal? Hang him!!!!

Markstrom Rules is online now   Reply With Quote