HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lats-Lapierre-D'Ago?

Old
01-16-2009, 01:39 PM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
Lats-Lapierre-D'Ago?

In a video segment, Gaston Therrien suggested in passing (in talking about the Habs lines) that perhaps D'Ago would bring a certain finishing element in place of Kosto. Tough call. Kosto is an absolute workhorse and I believe his example has much to do with Lats finally playing with purpose and determination. I think Carbo's even gone so far to say that he would love to coach 20 Kostos given his work ethic. Now we all know Kosto has lead hands and any goal he gets is icing on the cake. I'd hate to break up a line that has been playing so well and has a clear identity to it. But perhaps down the road (maybe next season), D'Ags might be a nice complement to Lats and Lapierre.

And just one final thought on D'Ags: some might be disappointed that he's been dropped to the 4th line, but I think Carbo is teaching him how to take care of his own end even more/become more responsible defensively. He did it with Lapierre and the Selke master now appears to be teaching D'Ags a similar lesson. And I love that Carbo has been openly supportive of D'Ags despite his drop-off in scoring. When the media questioned him about D'Ags being on the 4th line, Carbo stated that he knew D'Ags could not keep up his initial torrid scoring, but that he has been playing well defensively on the 4th line. A little jolt of confidence for the youngster. I've always like Carbo's quiet mix of praise and patience and giving guys a good kick in the ass when they need it.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:43 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I love Kosto's effort and jam but it is evident, especially after last night's game, that this line would be way more dangerous with a natural scorer on it. Even if Carbs put D'ago or Maxpac on the line for a few shifts I think we would see some good results. Maybe Higgins would be a good fit when he returns.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:49 PM
goldglove

well he did put d'agostini with lapierre and latendresse for their first shift of the game but they didnt played together after that.

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Clumsyhab

I remember D'Ags had a shift with Laps/Lats yesterday and they had 2 scoring chances on a span of 30 seconds.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Pegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I love Kosto's effort and jam but it is evident, especially after last night's game, that this line would be way more dangerous with a natural scorer on it. Even if Carbs put D'ago or Maxpac on the line for a few shifts I think we would see some good results. Maybe Higgins would be a good fit when he returns.
Higgins has the profile, good 2 way player with scoring abilities but Kosto has more grit. It may work, I like it, Lapierre with Lats and Higgins

Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Maxpac

Well i'm hoping for a Lats-Laps-BGL line if it's supose to be our 4th line for the remainder of the season. i've maid my point about the importance about having a true heavyweight fighter on the team and i think once Laraque's back is recovered at 100% that he will be a much more efficient hockey player. Kostopoulos does work hard, but overall he brings a big bunch of nothing, misses every opportunity, loses pucks in the corners, can't deke a cone out, his passing game is terrible too. I think in the end our whole 4th line will be out once the injured players are in. Further in the season when the games get more important our line-up should look something like:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins/D'Ago-Koivu-Tanguay
A.Kost-Lang-S.Kost
Latendresse-Lappierre-Laraque/Kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Georges
new top4 D-Bouillon/Brisebois/Dandenault

Price
Halak

and it's a darn fine looking line-up too!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I'd like to see those three together for a few games for sure.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:57 PM
la25ecoupe

Tanguay - Koivu - Dags/Higs
Patches - Plek - Kovy
Brother - Lang - Kostitsyns
Lats - Laps - Higs/Dags

=

Stanley Cup

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:16 PM
7th Player

Kostopoulos brings too much to that line to take him off!

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF HABS AWISS View Post
Kostopoulos brings too much to that line to take him off!
I believe that right now, Kostopoulos would bring much more to the 4th than the 3rd while D'Ago might indeed bring the finish that Kosto doesn't have. But Carbo keeps rolling 4 lines and our 4th line with Chipchura and Bégin struggles so much that the presence of Kosto in there would help.

D'Ago on the 3rd line would help finishing.

Kosto on the 4th line would help surviving.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-16-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
I like those lines. Waves and waves at em
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Patches - Plek - Kovy
Lats - Laps - Higs/Dags

=

Stanley Cup

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Patches - Plek - Kovy
Lats - Laps - Higs/Dags

=

Stanley Cup
Good lines for regular season, but not enough energy/grit for the playoff. TK has to be in the line-up for the playoff. Remember how effective he was?

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

D'ago would not have half the chances Kostopoulos have. Kostopoulos crashes the net and makes things happen. D'agostini poise not himself and dosent play like Kostopoulos.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
D'ago would not have half the chances Kostopoulos have. Kostopoulos crashes the net and makes things happen. D'agostini poise not himself and dosent play like Kostopoulos.
That's one way of looking at it. The other way is that D'Agostini would capitalize on the chances created by Lapierre and Latendresse...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
madbox

I don't think a Kosto/D'Ago swap would hurt any. D'Ago did have a great shift with Lapierre and Lats last night, however don't see Carbo touching that line right now. He has high praise for their communication and chemistry.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Fozz

Why would Carbo change the team's best line at the moment?

The chemistry with Kostopoulos is there and I wouldn't touch until (if) they start having problems. The only time I'd like D'Agostini with Lapierre and Lats is on the PP. Let Kosto concentrate on being an excellent penalty killer.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
That's one way of looking at it. The other way is that D'Agostini would capitalize on the chances created by Lapierre and Latendresse...
yep, as if missing 3000 chances a season actually holds some value....

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:34 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Patches - Plek - Kovy
Lats - Laps - Higs/Dags

=

Stanley Cup
Le bon Sergei?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:44 PM
LeMAD

Not sure Paccieretty has what it takes right now to be an efficient player during the playoffs thought. He's playing well, but offensively he's not there yet, and he's a bit mistake prone.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

I for one would love to see:

Higgins - Lappy - Lats

Although I' afraid it may put to many pressure on Lappy to produce. But if they get it together, one hell of a line.

Kosto - Chips - Laraque should also be one fine line.

Lang's line is just sick right now. And Pacioretty is holding his own with promising Pleks and Kovy as of late.

Leave's us with Tanguay - Koivu - Dags.

Too bad we can't roll 5 lines ;-)

And I'm afraid Begin...well simply haven't any room for him. Eventually we will have to make a choice between Begin and Kosto.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Altoid

I'd really hesitate to break up the Lats - Lap - TK line right now, they're working well together, they seem to communicate well and on lots of nights, they are the hardest working line in the game.

Without putting labels on any lines - i.e., 3rd line, 4th line, I'd play Higgins-Chipchura- D'Agostini together when Higgins is healthy. I think they could develop some chemistry, they're all hard working with really good hockey sense.

That makes four well balanced lines Carbonneau could rotate throughout the game.

Altoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:26 PM
BJG

Let us not forget the chemistry that Dags had with Saku. Once all are healthy, we should see:

Tang Saku Dags
Max Pleks Kovy
Kost Lang Kost
Lats Lappy TKO

That leaves out.... Higgins. He will be traded for the D we want. BGL, Begin ride pine and Chips gets sent down (or included in package?)

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
SJSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Let us not forget the chemistry that Dags had with Saku. Once all are healthy, we should see:

Tang Saku Dags
Max Pleks Kovy
Kost Lang Kost
Lats Lappy TKO

That leaves out.... Higgins. He will be traded for the D we want. BGL, Begin ride pine and Chips gets sent down (or included in package?)
I think this would be an EXCELLENT line... Tang is a great set up man, D'ago is a great finisher and Koivu is good at both.

SJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 07:26 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Why would Carbo change the team's best line at the moment?

The chemistry with Kostopoulos is there and I wouldn't touch until (if) they start having problems. The only time I'd like D'Agostini with Lapierre and Lats is on the PP. Let Kosto concentrate on being an excellent penalty killer.
They are not the best line just the most stable line for the past month. Lang and the Kosty's haev been doing very well and all their production has gone up.

There is no question that Dags should be moved into the Lappy line and Kosto to the Begin line. It's not even debatable. The Begin line is struggling and Kosto and Begin have always been good together. Therefore he would improve that line. Dags playing with Lappy would help that line bury the incredible amount of chances which Kosto can't do. With all respect to Kosto as he is one of my favorite players just for his work ethic alone. To watch the intensity and dedication from this guy he is worth ten times what he earns. Nobody else sticks his face out there to get pummeled at every occasion when nobody else sticks up for his team mates. Except Begin.

Lastly, every time Lappy goes out on the PP it is a wasted opportunity. The line excels at 5 on 5 because they outwork the opponent but that line has no business being on the PP. You put your best out there and make it work. Carbo's recent statement that he has given up trying PP units and will play lines intact during PP's is one of the most stupid things I ever heard a professional coach say. Basically he can't find a solution so he stops trying. The rest of the league caught on to what we were doing to be the #1 PP 2 years running and adapted. Now, Carbo can't find a way to change so he plays the Lappy line? Pretty lame.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 07:38 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I thought that's what alotta Hab fans were saying about Lats. He was a natural goal scorer. Soft hands, great shot.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote