HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/27/08: "Get the Artyuhkin Out of Here!" Panthers @ Lightning

View Poll Results: Tonights Winner:
PANTHERS 17 60.71%
lightning 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2008, 09:09 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
12/27/08: "Get the Artyuhkin Out of Here!" Panthers @ Lightning

Tonight at 7:30pm from the:

TV:

Radio: NHL Gamecenter

Division & Conference Standings:

Southeast Division
TEAM GP W L OTL PTS
1 36 22 11 3 47
2 36 17 14 5 39
3 34 16 13 5 37
4 :thrashers 35 12 19 4 28
5 34 9 16 9 27

Eastern Conference

TEAM GP W L OTL PTS
1 Boston Bruins 34 25 5 4 54
2 Washington Capitals 36 22 11 3 47
3 New York Rangers 37 22 12 3 47
4 Philadelphia Flyers 35 19 9 7 45
5 Montreal Canadiens 33 18 9 6 42
6 Pittsburgh Penguins 33 19 12 4 42
7 New Jersey Devils 33 19 11 3 41
8 Carolina Hurricanes 36 17 14 5 39
9 FLORIDA PANTHERS 34 16 13 5 37
10 Buffalo Sabres 35 16 14 5 37
11 Toronto Maple Leafs 35 14 15 6 34
12 Ottawa Senators 32 12 15 5 29
13 Atlanta Thrashers 35 12 19 4 28
14 Tampa Bay Lightning 34 9 16 9 27
15 New York Islanders 35 11 21 3 25

Player & Team Comparison:

Lightning Top Players
Goals V. Lecavalier 12
Assists V. Lecavalier 15
Points V. Lecavalier 27
PIM Paul Ranger 46
GAA M. Smith 2.42
Save % M. Smith .924

Panthers Top Players

Goals D. Booth 12
Assists J. Bouwmeester 13
Points J. Bouwmeester 19
PIM Keith Ballard 49
GAA C. Anderson 2.09 (T-3th in NHL)
Save % C. Anderson .941 (1st in NHL)

Lightning Team Stats

G GA PP% PK% SHG SHGA PIM
76 98 14.4 (26th in NHL) 80.7 (21st in NHL) 1 4 518
Panthers Team Stats
G GA PP% PK% SHG SHGA PIM
83 86 14.3 (28th in NHL) 83.2 (8th in NHL) 2 3 417

Injury Reports:

Lightning Injuries
Player Date Status Description
D. Koci Nov. 27, 2008 IR broken hand
G. Roberts Dec. 2, 2008 IR elbow / groin
O. Kolzig Dec. 24, 2008 Questionable upper body

Panther Injuries

Player Date Status Description
B. Allen Oct. 12, 2008 IR Knee Surgery
C. Murphy Oct. 29, 2008 IR Mysterious Shoulder
R. Olesz Dec. 6, 2008 IR Strained Groin
J. Cullimore Dec. 23, 2008 Questionable Hand

Expected Starting Goaltenders

#41 Mike Smith - Lightning
GP W L OTL GAA SAVE % SO
27 7 12 8 2.41 .924 2

versus

#31 Craig Anderson - Panthers
GP W L OTL GAA SAVE % SO
17 8 3 4 2.09 .941 3

Game News & Notes:

News & Notes
Official NHL.com Preview
Panthers have 2 stingy goalies
Center of attention for Frolik
Finally, a shootout victory
GRs Blog

Cats Spotlight:

We cant let this fool get into the teams head again. We need a major whooping of this guy tonight, as well as all of the Bolts.

Ballard and Frolik need to continue their stellar play. Ballard needs to use that lethal hip check of his on the Artyuhkin, and Frolik needs to protect himself from what seemed to be a onslaught of hits last night.

ONE MORE TIME!

PB1300s Official Game Preview

Redemption time. After playing a poor game yesterday, the Panthers look to get back into the win column with the second game of a home-&-home with the Lightning. While they did not play anywhere near their capabilities, they still managed to tie the game with less the 14 seconds and grab a crucial point. The end of the 3rd should give the team momentum going into tonights game, regardless of them losing the game in a SO.

Tonight is also a crucial game because a win, coupled with a Canes loss to Boston, puts us into the eighth seed, for the moment.

GO CATS GOOOOOO!!!

As an added bonus to all my fellow Panther friends...Ive added some pictures from my first X-mas in Greece...enjoy!

Last edited by pb1300: 10-07-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old
12-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Pukboy5kroner

The team definitely needs to send a message tonight. I'd love to see the cats dominate the bolts at home.

To anyone going to the game, be careful not to contract any contagious diseases in the St. Pete Times' bathrooms.

Old
12-27-2008, 10:19 AM
FlaPanthers7

We should not lose another point to this team. Come on Cats!

Old
12-27-2008, 10:23 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
I was apprehensive about last night's game. We're winning tonight in regulation.

Old
12-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Yeah, a win. And a fun game to watch too. Thanks for the GDT, excellently done. Anyone know if Stewart is in (as ZeroG astutely suggested)?

Old
12-27-2008, 11:50 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Too tired to put my thoughts in last night...

1. Let's see if Horton can carry over his momentum from the third period last night. After his beautiful SH attempt on the PK, his game seemed to pick up on both ends. That kid just has so much talent. I think he can be one of the premier forwards in the game...which is why he drives me crazy. I'm hoping to see a break-out game for him tonight.

2. I know this sounds like Monday morning quarterbacking, but I would have pulled Vokoun after that first goal. It seemed to suck the life out of the team. Putting Anderson in at that point would have given the team a boost.

3. On the other hand, I would have yanked Anderson for the shoot-out. He is a great system goaltender, but he does not have the reflexes/ability to recover that Vokoun has. I think we may have seen the last of Andy in the SO last night... at least I hope so.

4. The bounces did not go their way last night and too many players had an off night. They were lucky to get a point... but they should have had two. Frustrating. I hope they come out angry tonight.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Acadmus

Put in my vote for the Panthers, despite I'm still cynical. Figure they still got a point last night despite they were trailing last I'd looked, 3-1 with little over half the third period left...so the positive vote despite negative feelings thing still seems to be working.

Nice to also see the Panthers are just 2 points behind the 'Canes with 3 games in hand, and tied with Buffalo for 9th with a game in hand. That means their destiny is in their own hands...just need to win some, and we've seen they can when they want to.

EDIT: Oh, and the Panthers need to go 11 games above .500 from here on out to make my playoff target point total. Which I think they can do if they keep playing as they have.

12-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
1. Let's see if Horton can carry over his momentum from the third period last night. After his beautiful SH attempt on the PK, his game seemed to pick up on both ends. That kid just has so much talent. I think he can be one of the premier forwards in the game...which is why he drives me crazy. I'm hoping to see a break-out game for him tonight.
The kid has some of the best hands (if not the best) on the team. He can deke through guys like that fairly often. I too hope he has a break-out game tonight as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
2. I know this sounds like Monday morning quarterbacking, but I would have pulled Vokoun after that first goal. It seemed to suck the life out of the team. Putting Anderson in at that point would have given the team a boost.
That it did. I thought we carried the play (for the most part) up until that goal. Then everything just seemed to come to a halt.

I can't help but think of tonight's game as a must-win. We just cannot lose to Tampa in back-to-back games. I'm really hoping that the comeback will get us firing on all cylinders tonight. It's nice to rally and steal a point when we're not on our game, but we need to win games when we are.

-ghoste

Old
12-27-2008, 01:31 PM
KW

More random thoughts:
1. Has a coach ever switched goalies for the SO? If so with what kind of result?
2. When someone like Artyuhkin takes a run at one of our skill guys, even if it's a legal check, why don't we take a run at the rat, also legally? Hit back where it hurts.
3. In fact, why does there seem to be an unwritten rule NOT to ever check St.Louis hard? He's got a nasty streak that should not go unpunished. (Like during their stanley cup run he took a viscous slash at Iginla's BARE hand, but just missed.) IMO that allows the rat to roam freely and get good scoring chances.
4. Mellanby the rat, don't Dvorak him.

Old
12-27-2008, 01:36 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Pete said in the post game interview that he thought about putting Vokoun in the SO, but just for an instant. I think if the situation presents itself again, he is going to make the move. I agree with the Goon, we need to start putting the Bolts guys in the boards, like Lecavalier, St Louis, and Stamkos. They came hard after Frolik yesterday, well lets do the same and go hard after Stamkos. A couple of Ballard hip checks would be fine by me. Plus, I hope Stewy is in the lineup tonight, because he finishes his checks pretty hard.

Old
12-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Thing about Horton "slicing through guys" late in the game when they were shorthanded is that there were no defensemen on the ice, they went with 5 forwards to try and ice the game. Was awesome, just not sure that it happens with guys who are trained to stop that.

Zero, that was a clean hit and I had no problem with the hit, but like with Bure, he needed to know that Frolik is off limits. If it were Nate or likely Booth I doubt that happens, but Frolik isn't to be touched.

Should be a good game, I'm going tonight with Beezer and a crew of guys from the main boards.

Last edited by Laus723: 12-27-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Didn't spell "know" correctly, DOH!
Old
12-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Thing about Horton "slicing through guys" late in the game when they were shorthanded is that there were no defensemen on the ice, they went with 5 forwards to try and ice the game. Was awesome, just not sure that it happens with guys who are trained to stop that.
He can undress defensemen too. Out of all the guys on our team, he can get by a guy or two like that and get a shot off more often than the others. I know he missed the shot last night but you get what I mean.

-ghoste

Old
12-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Montsy14

Quote:

Zero, that was a clean hit and I had no problem with the hit, but like with Bure, he needed to no that Frolik is off limits. If it were Nate or likely Booth I doubt that happens, but Frolik isn't to be touched.

Should be a good game, I'm going tonight with Beezer and a crew of guys from the main boards.
I agree with you, Frolik can't be getting banged around like that without repercussions. Artyuhkin was getting away with a lot last night and hopefully he thinks twice this time around. Is there a reason why he continues to punch guys while they are down after the fight? And another thing, the guy wears a visor and goes after people. I was happy when Tarnasky ripped his helmet off and gave him a good shot.

Old
12-27-2008, 02:58 PM
handbanana
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I love Ballard's hip checks more than anything, but it'll either earn us a penalty (refs unfortunately have no idea what a hip check is) or their moose will beat up one of our guys again.

Old
12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I agree with you, Frolik can't be getting banged around like that without repercussions. Artyuhkin was getting away with a lot last night and hopefully he thinks twice this time around. Is there a reason why he continues to punch guys while they are down after the fight? And another thing, the guy wears a visor and goes after people. I was happy when Tarnasky ripped his helmet off and gave him a good shot.
He also hits people when they're down, did it in both fights yesterday which is why Boynton went after him to begin with. I actually really like R2, but it doesn't seem that he plays with the same code as others who fight do. Again, another reason why we need an actual fighter on this team. There's noone to make him pay for his actions, he's likely going to have a similiar game tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portal333 View Post
I love Ballard's hip checks more than anything, but it'll either earn us a penalty (refs unfortunately have no idea what a hip check is) or their moose will beat up one of our guys again.
Ballard will keep throwing big hits, guys like him don't stop because they may get a penalty. See: Scott Stevens (thoguh, he wasn't penalized very often for his monster hits)

Old
12-27-2008, 04:08 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Pete said in the post game interview that he thought about putting Vokoun in the SO, but just for an instant. I think if the situation presents itself again, he is going to make the move. I agree with the Goon, we need to start putting the Bolts guys in the boards, like Lecavalier, St Louis, and Stamkos. They came hard after Frolik yesterday, well lets do the same and go hard after Stamkos. A couple of Ballard hip checks would be fine by me. Plus, I hope Stewy is in the lineup tonight, because he finishes his checks pretty hard.
i don't think so. he *thought* about it but laid out solid rationale for not doing it. ever.

Old
12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
zeroG

Quote:

Zero, that was a clean hit and I had no problem with the hit, but like with Bure, he needed to know that Frolik is off limits. If it were Nate or likely Booth I doubt that happens, but Frolik isn't to be touched.

so the question is did tarnasky deter him from hitting frolik in the future. personally, i'd say that assertion is dubious at best.

Old
12-27-2008, 04:31 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:

Horton was totally aware of the fact that he had forwards back there, which is why he tried that move (and probably why he was able to pull it off). Yes he can undress defensemen as well, but it's much harder to fake out a defensman than a forward back there. He just missed on his shot. Still, I liked his effort, awareness, and his play lately. He also undressed some guys in the Nashville game. His shot is obviously still there, as he proved to himself in the shootout last night. I feel like he's about to turn the corner.

Weiss needs to have a strong game tonight if we're going to win. Booth also needs to think about making some smarter plays with the puck even though I love his style usually. He's taking so many bad angle shots when he has some better plays. He's all 100% burn down the wing and shoot even from far out but with his speed, he could easily slam on the breaks and look for Horton or Weiss in the slot or even a defenseman. He's done that before and it works great because it's really hard for teh defense to keep on him.

Old
12-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
so the question is did tarnasky deter him from hitting frolik in the future. personally, i'd say that assertion is dubious at best.
Nope, he did nothing to deter it because he didn't make him pay for it all. As I said, R2's going to come out and do the exact same things he did last night. Again, why we need an enforcer who can keep up with the game DeBoer's got going out there. Belak couldn't keep up, but R2 wouldn't go with him. Janssen or Neil are needed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Horton was totally aware of the fact that he had forwards back there, which is why he tried that move (and probably why he was able to pull it off). Yes he can undress defensemen as well, but it's much harder to fake out a defensman than a forward back there. He just missed on his shot. Still, I liked his effort, awareness, and his play lately. He also undressed some guys in the Nashville game. His shot is obviously still there, as he proved to himself in the shootout last night. I feel like he's about to turn the corner.

Weiss needs to have a strong game tonight if we're going to win. Booth also needs to think about making some smarter plays with the puck even though I love his style usually. He's taking so many bad angle shots when he has some better plays. He's all 100% burn down the wing and shoot even from far out but with his speed, he could easily slam on the breaks and look for Horton or Weiss in the slot or even a defenseman. He's done that before and it works great because it's really hard for teh defense to keep on him.
That was my whole point on the Horton thing, they were forwards, that's what I was pointing out.

So far as Weiss and Booth, I just completley disagree with your assessment of them. They haven't been their usual great selves, but they've been far from "pathetic" and whatever else.

Old
12-27-2008, 05:04 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Good work on the GDT. PB. I like the little Panthers symbols,adding the building art etc...

I picked the Panthers again tonight. Not many teams win back to back nights against the same team,unless I'm mistaken.

Old
12-27-2008, 05:15 PM
sinDer

5-1 Panthers

goals scorers: Peltonen (SH), Bouwmeester, Weiss (PP) and Horton (2)

26 Saves for Anderson

Old
12-27-2008, 05:18 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
More random thoughts:
1. Has a coach ever switched goalies for the SO? If so with what kind of result?
Ron Wilson this year. He put Cujo in there,and I think he let in both goals He took heat from the media of course.

It's probably been done at least three or so other times since the shootout was put in the league.

Old
12-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Nope, he did nothing to deter it because he didn't make him pay for it all. As I said, R2's going to come out and do the exact same things he did last night. Again, why we need an enforcer who can keep up with the game DeBoer's got going out there. Belak couldn't keep up, but R2 wouldn't go with him. Janssen or Neil are needed here.
They would be great, but all teams cannot have them. Anyway, we cannot react to everything that goes on and all tactics that are used against us. We have picked a path that doesn't include a real heavy, now let's just stick to it at least until it is clear that not having a heavy costs us in the standings. I doubt it will, because we don't play TB all the time. Our players shouldn't let players like Artjukin get in their heads. We are trying to win games, not get revenge.

Old
12-27-2008, 05:30 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
A team has never won after changing goaltenders before the SO.

Old
12-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

I'm going with the Panthers (I know, shocking ). Horton has historically been a beast in Tampa's house. Tonight will be no different. I think last night was just Christmas/holiday hangover. Tonight they come out of the gate on fire.

Closed Thread