HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa 10 points back how about this.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:28 AM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Ottawa 10 points back how about this.

At this point Ottawa is 10 points behind for 8th place. I know that there are still 50 games left or a bit less but if fans in Ottawa can except the situation at this point in time they could possiblely rebuild from this draft and with free agents for next year.

If they take Spezza and trade him to Chicago for Havlat, Khabibulin, 09 1st and either Barker or a decent prospect. Chicago will have to take Gerber as their back up to make the money even out.

Ottawa then takes Khabibulin and trade him to LA for a 1st and another decent prospect. Havlat would workout good in Ottawa but I would then take him at the trade dead line and trade him for a 1st and prospect.

Kuba could get Ottawa another 1st round pick. Players like Neil and McAmmond could get you later draft picks.

I see all of these deals as a way for Ottawa to have up to 6 1st round picks this year with them having a top 5 at the worse and a chance for top 2 if they tank bad enough. With Spezza money gone that will give them a cap hit of approx 36 mil to make some good signings for depth players and players that can give them secondary scoring. Who knows Fisher might also workout well on the first line and they would not have sign a top line centreman which would save them money.

What do you all think about this?

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:29 AM
AK

So, they're rebuilding by trading one of the NHL's best young centers for a couple of UFA, one of which has glass bones?

No dice.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Kamina
Amok

vCash: 50
Kuba for a 1st works if we're still **** by the deadline.

The Spezza deal, however, doesn't work.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:30 AM
johnny canuckistan

Your proposal hurts my head, so I won't deal with the bulk of it. All I will say is that I don't think Kuba is worth a 2nd round pick, let alone a 1st rounder. I've never been a fan.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Sens4Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny canuckistan View Post
Your proposal hurts my head, so I won't deal with the bulk of it. All I will say is that I don't think Kuba is worth a 2nd round pick, let alone a 1st rounder. I've never been a fan.
Considering guys like Craig Rivet and Shane O'Brien have in the past garnered a 1st round pick, I'd say that's about the going rate for a top-4 defenceman. Of course it's more if it's a #1-2 d-man as Buffalo got Bernier and a 1st etc.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 11:36 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny canuckistan View Post
Whether your a fan or not he will get a 1st for Ottawa from a team that is in the playoff hunt.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:39 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Kuba for a 1st works if we're still **** by the deadline.

The Spezza deal, however, doesn't work.
I just want to point out that if you keep your team intact you will have the same problem as you are now. One of the top 3 has to be traded away. I would say Spezza makes the most sense and if a trade like this went down it would end up getting you 3 1st in a deep draft with 2or 3 prospects. I think Fisher would work well on the no. 1 line. This will enable Ottawa to get the players they need in the off season which would make you a better team next year and for the years to come. You are not going to get a super star in exchange for him.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Kamina
Amok

How would it benefit if we trade a superstar for someone who isn't a superstar?

Old
12-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

this is just confusing all together, how would they get so many teams to part with their 1st in one of the best drafts ever for a bunch of ufa's

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Zim

In this hypothetical idea why don't Chicago just trade Khabibulin to L.A. themselves and leave it at?

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If they take Spezza and trade him to Chicago for Havlat, Khabibulin, 09 1st and either Barker or a decent prospect. Chicago will have to take Gerber as their back up to make the money even out.
I find this talk of Chicago being interested in Spezza pretty dubious. He is expensive and signed to a lot of years, and the Hawks have a lot of RFAs coming up, not so much next year but definitely the year after.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Sens Mile

A quick thing to remember about 10 points is we are also 2 or 3 games back from everyone except Jersey so if the SENS start going on a mini tear the deficit does not seem so tremendous.

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Meichel Kane
Ex-Armond White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
In this hypothetical idea why don't Chicago just trade Khabibulin to L.A. themselves and leave it at?
With his reasoning, Havlat fetches a 1st and a prospect and Khabibulin fetches a 1st and a prospect. I don't see why Chicago doesn't just get 2 1sts and 2 prospects first, then parlay them into more than just Spezza.

Meichel Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
At this point Ottawa is 10 points behind for 8th place. I know that there are still 50 games left or a bit less but if fans in Ottawa can except the situation at this point in time they could possiblely rebuild from this draft and with free agents for next year.

Ottawa then takes Khabibulin and trade him to LA for a 1st and another decent prospect. Havlat would workout good in Ottawa but I would then take him at the trade dead line and trade him for a 1st and prospect.

Kuba could get Ottawa another 1st round pick. Players like Neil and McAmmond could get you later draft picks.

I see all of these deals as a way for Ottawa to have up to 6 1st round picks this year with them having a top 5 at the worse and a chance for top 2 if they tank bad enough. With Spezza money gone that will give them a cap hit of approx 36 mil to make some good signings for depth players and players that can give them secondary scoring. Who knows Fisher might also workout well on the first line and they would not have sign a top line centreman which would save them money.

What do you all think about this?
I don't see why Chicago would do this. Yes Spezza would look good in Chicago, but they have other players to worry about in the future that the Spezza money could go towards. It would make it much harder down the road with a lower cap to retain their high end talent.

Why wouldn't Chicago cut out Ottawa and deal directly with LA for the 1st rounder you suspect Khabi will garner? If Havlat is worth a first at the deadline why wouldn't Chicago trade him for the first themselves? Chicago could extend it's cup window by holding onto the players and making your suggested trades themseves. Three 1st rounders for the Hawks vs trading all that away for a longer higher dollar contract than Khabi?

I agree that Ottawa is in a situation where they either try to shore up and make another run or rebuild...but if they're going to rebuild I'm not sure Chicago would bite on this trade. There's too much at stake for their future to take on a Spezza sized contract right now when they have high end talent in Kane and Toews to retain with a lower cap in the future. I could see either Ottawa going after a huge second line splash with their prospects/draft picks or they might have to sell off assets like Alfredsson to really rebuild. They might prefer to keep Spezza and Heatley due to their ages.

It's entirely possible for Ottawa to rebuild fast with lots of draft picks, but I don't think you'll get teams like Chicago (just finished rebuilding) or LA (still rebuilding through the draft) to bite on these trades. Maybe look more towards teams like the Sharks or Detroit to see what kind of prospects/picks are avalable (yes I know about SJ 1st in 09). These teams are more likely to go for a cup, risking their future, than Chicago or LA IMO.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Vitto79

blow it up already

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

I really don't see how people can say re-build and then have Spezza in the trade proposal. He's not old....92 point centers don't grow on trees. We won't get anything for him this year. I'm willing to accept one bad year and draft someone like MSP, Brayden Schenn, Jordan Schroeder or Ryan Ellis. WOW! This is going to be a good draft.

We have Phillips [he's still around 30], Volchenkov, Karlsson and Lee.

Up front, we have Heatley, Spezza, Nick Foligno, Jim O'Brien, Ilya Zubov, Mike Fisher, and this year's draft pick.....[I think we'll go for the BPA, but we need a strong forward]

Goalie of the future: Brian Elliot

I don't think we need to stink for three-four years......I think we can have a Flyers-like turnaround. [Acquiring important free agents too]

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 01:40 PM
stammerhammer91

Kuba will not get you a first and probably not even a second, which has already been stated.

They should try to trade him for a prospect and not a draft pick if they wanted to rebuild quicker, which most fans probably would.

Also why would LA give up a 1st for Khabibulin, hes good but that would be really stupid.

Last edited by stammerhammer91: 12-27-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Needed to add a little more
stammerhammer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Anasazi

Somehow this makes sense to me in some diabolical way....

Anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 01:43 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
I really don't see how people can say re-build and then have Spezza in the trade proposal. He's not old....92 point centers don't grow on trees. We won't get anything for him this year. I'm willing to accept one bad year and draft someone like MSP, Brayden Schenn, Jordan Schroeder or Ryan Ellis. WOW! This is going to be a good draft.

We have Phillips [he's still around 30], Volchenkov, Karlsson and Lee.

Up front, we have Heatley, Spezza, Nick Foligno, Jim O'Brien, Ilya Zubov, Mike Fisher, and this year's draft pick.....[I think we'll go for the BPA, but we need a strong forward]

Goalie of the future: Brian Elliot

I don't think we need to stink for three-four years......I think we can have a Flyers-like turnaround. [Acquiring important free agents too]
I think Ryan Ellis would look smoking hot on the Senators.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 01:52 PM
txpd

A couple of quick notes.

Chicago gives up too much for Spezza. Khabibulin would have to be part of it in order to clear cap space for Spezza. Ottawa would also have to include Auld as Chicago would need a goalie back.

Havlat would not be included particularly if the Hawks are giving up are giving up a first and barker. Besides playoff teams don't spend off their NHL roster at the trade deadline.

LA does not want Khabibulin unless they are serious about the playoffs and even then they keep their first. Substitute a non-roster prospect for that first.

Chicago does want a center. I, personally, think they would demand someone that competes harder than Spezza. Spezza has become a Scottie Pippen like figure.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
You're full of bull****.

Old
12-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Cherith Cutestory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Margolis View Post
Kuba will not get you a first and probably not even a second, which has already been stated.

They should try to trade him for a prospect and not a draft pick if they wanted to rebuild quicker, which most fans probably would.

Also why would LA give up a 1st for Khabibulin, hes good but that would be really stupid.
As has been stated many times now, Kuba will very likely get a 1st rounder in return. Defenceman of his caliber get big returns from play-off teams, and he is having a big year so far. Of Craig Rivet can get a first and a propsect, so can Kuba.

Cherith Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 03:22 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2584
something has to gve in OTT

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
A couple of quick notes.

Chicago gives up too much for Spezza. Khabibulin would have to be part of it in order to clear cap space for Spezza. Ottawa would also have to include Auld as Chicago would need a goalie back.

Havlat would not be included particularly if the Hawks are giving up are giving up a first and barker. Besides playoff teams don't spend off their NHL roster at the trade deadline.

LA does not want Khabibulin unless they are serious about the playoffs and even then they keep their first. Substitute a non-roster prospect for that first.

Chicago does want a center. I, personally, think they would demand someone that competes harder than Spezza. Spezza has become a Scottie Pippen like figure.
I'm sure he got 92 points by sitting on the couch at home....and eating popcorn and pepsi.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherith cutestory View Post
As has been stated many times now, Kuba will very likely get a 1st rounder in return. Defenceman of his caliber get big returns from play-off teams, and he is having a big year so far. Of Craig Rivet can get a first and a propsect, so can Kuba.
It's funny the only people saying this locations are "Ottawa"

Kuba is not worth a first, he is not someone that can come to a team and push them over the top and what other reasons do you need him for.

a second at very most

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote