HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved's blocked shot...

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 12:30 PM
PigeonCamera

vCash: 500
Nedved's blocked shot...

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, so forgive me if I'm repeating a post...

...but that defensive effort in OT really answered a lot of questions about his desire. I know he has a rep for being enigmatic, but that was a gamesaving play. It was very nice to see a big body lining up in the middle.

Apart from Nedved, did anyone else notice that Moreau was absolutely brutal in the third and OT last night? I give Ethan big time props for having a great season, and playing his heart out down the stretch, but last night he sure smelled a little ripe...

Old
03-05-2004, 05:31 PM
barto

I liked Rod Phillips' description of that play by Nedved - "Oooh, a courAGEOUS play by Nedved to block that shot!"

And I also like MacT's quote after the game, where he suggested that a guy would really win over a lot of team-mates by going down to block a shot like that.

Really good to see - that was maybe the best single play he made the whole game to show that he's committed to doing his best to help the team.

I didn't notice Moreau playing so poorly, but I wasn't really looking for that either. Anyone else?

Bart

Old
03-05-2004, 05:33 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I didn't notice Moreau playing so poorly, but I wasn't really looking for that either. Anyone else?
I didn't think Moreau was playing that poorly, but it did seem to me that his wheels seemed to be spinning a bit.

Old
03-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Loweball

It was courageous but big deal, that's what a $5 million dollar player with 14 goals should be doing. Not to down play the importance, or to disrespect your post. That's just basic hockey.

Old
03-05-2004, 08:06 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler
It was courageous but big deal, that's what a $5 million dollar player with 14 goals should be doing. Not to down play the importance, or to disrespect your post. That's just basic hockey.
basic hockey that a lot of players don't bother doing. I can think of countless times where a player shoots from the point and the player does NOT slide to block the shot.

It is not as basic as you make it out to be!

Old
03-05-2004, 08:15 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
thats true. but if it comes from a $5m guy just traded in who is regarded as a floater then i think it is a bit of a deal since it shows his true commitment to the cause at hand. He could have just as simply have let Pronger rip it onto the net.

Old
03-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Walsher

There seems to be a lot of 5 million + players underachieving, I think that the more important aspect for the Oilers, and fans is that Nedved had an assist, created multiple chances and on top of it all Blocked a Chris Pronger shot with the Oilers net gaping. Hey I always get on players like Nedved for underachieving but that was a really clutch game for his first. So far so good.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:01 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
thats true. but if it comes from a $5m guy just traded in who is regarded as a floater then i think it is a bit of a deal since it shows his true commitment to the cause at hand. He could have just as simply have let Pronger rip it onto the net.
Agreed. Instant 'team glue'.

Hey rabi, you're back in blue.

EDIT (by rabi): i know it means i get to edit other peoples posts again

Old
03-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
basic hockey that a lot of players don't bother doing. I can think of countless times where a player shoots from the point and the player does NOT slide to block the shot.

It is not as basic as you make it out to be!
True, and it wasn't just a run-of-the-mill slapper either, it slid out to the blueline on a pillow and was the kind of setup that a d-man gets once a year in the nhl. Pronger had two seconds to walk in and wind up for it.

That was a scary play, nothing routine about it.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:20 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
True, and it wasn't just a run-of-the-mill slapper either, it slid out to the blueline on a pillow and was the kind of setup that a d-man gets once a year in the nhl. Pronger had two seconds to walk in and wind up for it.

That was a scary play, nothing routine about it.
Was enough to impress the heck out of me. That took courage.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:22 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

very impressed with his effort on that one as well. more or less put his body on the line for his new team, cmon you cant tell me you dont like that.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Not trying to take anything away from the tremendous block, but that shot was about 5 feet to the left of the net. The only way Pronger woulda scored was if it deflected off one of the Oil. But agreed, it takes some kinda guts to try to stop that blast.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:58 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
Not trying to take anything away from the tremendous block, but that shot was about 5 feet to the left of the net. The only way Pronger woulda scored was if it deflected off one of the Oil. But agreed, it takes some kinda guts to try to stop that blast.
I think the fact that he got down in front of it is the key... whether the puck was going to be on net or not was irrelevant, because he was going down anyway.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:47 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi
...i know it means i get to edit other peoples posts again
Remember, power corrupts.

Old
03-06-2004, 01:54 AM
jadeddog

dont ya think we're all making a little bit much of the nedved block?? it seems to me that we're all trying to make the trade look as favorable as possible...... the block was nice and all, but i dont know that it was anything worth writing home about...... it was a good play, but its not like he scored a hat-trick or anything, lets keep it in perspective here

Old
03-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Loweball

jadedogg's post is exactly what i was trying to say. let's keep this in perspective. not downplaying the importance and the guts it took to block the shot, just the fact we seem to be grabbing at straws over this trade. And please, don't take that as i dislike the trade, I love it. We gave up squat and the Rags are paying his salary. i think KLO has some pics of Slats he doesn't want getting out or something LOL...

Old
03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Oi'll say!

Well it wasn't just a normal shot, and if there ever was a knock on Nedved it would be that he's not the kind of guy to make such a selfless, brave play. The jury on PN isn't out yet, but you have to give credit where it's due.

Don't worry, we can just as easily turn on him like a pack of rabid wolves if he flamingos tomorrow. We're like that

Old
03-06-2004, 06:03 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
dont ya think we're all making a little bit much of the nedved block?? it seems to me that we're all trying to make the trade look as favorable as possible...... the block was nice and all, but i dont know that it was anything worth writing home about...... it was a good play, but its not like he scored a hat-trick or anything, lets keep it in perspective here
Yeah, I'm with you on this one JD. Still, it was nice to see.

I'm sure that Nedved redeemed himself somewhat with his coaches and teammates for the goal-against earlier IMO. Speaking of which ... WTF was Nedved doing lackadaisically coasting back to the bench when the play was leaving STL's end? :mad: I replayed it a bunch of times and I couldn't find a reason for it, he wasn't nailed into the boards just before that or anything. It was just another 'Nedved moment', and meant that the weakside wingers zone ended up empty in the Oilers end ... Khavanov was left a clear path and Horcoff, coming off the bench, didn't have a hope in Hedes of getting there in time. You can be sure everyone on the bench noticed ... I wonder if anyone has had a word with him about this since

I guess a guy should cut Nedved some slack, it's his first game away from the disaster that is the NYR team, and I guess fatique may have been a factor. Still, its something I have never seen Dvorak, Moreau, York, Horcoff, Smyth et al do as an Oiler ... not ever. Obviously I'm not a Nedved fan, I have bias, and while I won't argue that he has talent, IMHO there was a reason he could be had so cheaply.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:17 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
YObviously I'm not a Nedved fan, I have bias, and while I won't argue that he has talent, IMHO there was a reason he could be had so cheaply.
Sure, 14-17-31 for either $5 mil or a pending UFA is probably one of the reasons. Lots of Rangers are becoming the property of other teams fairly cheaply is another.

I didn't see the whole game, but what I saw he looked ok. He was certainly more impressive his first game than Oates was in his own. (OK, I guess that's a poor argument.) I'm willing to wait to see how he does down the stretch.

For whatever it's worth, I've seen Hemmer make that lazy skate back a couple of times too.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:36 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
must be a czechlovakian thing then

Old
03-06-2004, 10:55 PM
anm8r

Kelly Hrudey just showed "The Block" on Behind the Mask. He thinks the Oilers have a great shot at making the playoffs - perhaps more than St.Louis. He's very high on Nedved.

Old
03-06-2004, 11:24 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
He scores a hat-trick in a 6-3 loss, it's meaningless.

He shows the ability and determination to do something that helps the team from possibly losing a game, it's big.

No he didn't score, but he got an assist on the tying goal, and he did everything he could in OT to prevent a team the Oilers need to catch from picking up an extra point. IMO, this isn't making too much out of it.

Closed Thread