Notices

!EKLUND DISCLAIMER! "massive spezza deal being worked on"

Old
12-27-2008, 08:09 PM
sonetlumiere

vCash: 500
!EKLUND DISCLAIMER! "massive spezza deal being worked on"

Quote:
This from a source in California who informed me of the following just now after meeting with his sources over lunch today.

"There are two teams that are willing to dance here...One is definitely, 100% Calgary. the other is a little less certain, but it is between Vancouver, LA, Minnesota and Chicago....Either way it is a very complex deal involving possibly a third team and a surprising goalie heading to Ottawa."

Another source: "Robyn Regehr and Lombardi are names that I keep hearing going the other way...From LA I am hearing a big defensive prospect as well as a top line forward. In Chicago, Keith's name is out there, but only for the ABSOLUTE perfect deal. In Vancouver Bieska." - hockeybuzz.com
thoughts?

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Boomstick

Thinking Regehr and Lombardi are a little much, but what do I know, I'm just a fan.
Spezza, Iginla, Cammalleri would be an impressive first line.

Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Lunatik*

Regehr has a NMC and one of the best contracts in the NHL... he is not going to Ottawa... unless of course the Sens are throwing in Phillips as he is one of the few with a contract as good as Regehr

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:33 AM
GoFlames

Not Regehr!!!! Anyone but Regehr!

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:34 AM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 50
Hell no...Spezza gets too fancy and tries to do too much a lot of times. As you have seen tonight, he's had like 50 turnovers.

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:55 AM
Dions shoulder

We need Regehr far more than we would need Spezza.

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Congo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Regehr has a NMC and one of the best contracts in the NHL... he is not going to Ottawa... unless of course the Sens are throwing in Phillips as he is one of the few with a contract as good as Regehr
With any other GM in the league, this explanation would be warranted. But we have Sutter as a GM. If he gives a player a NMC, he will not ask them to waive it unless it's a mutual agreement (see: Tanguay, Alex) Regehr is a Sutter player through and through, and has been repeatedly called "the best defenceman on the Flames roster" by both Sutter and Keenan. The only way we see Regehr leave any time soon is if we're getting Lidstrom AND Malkin in the deal, and even then Sutter might not want them because they're Euros.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 02:25 AM
Split98

Would be a devastating line if it ever happened... but I'm not too stoked about what we'd give up.

Regehr leaving however... is laughable.

Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Oblivion

Regehr means too much to this team and I'm not sure how well Spezza would mesh with this team. The strictly skill players like Tanguay and Huselius haven't worked out and the loss of Regehr would devastate the Flames blueline.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 03:58 AM
ComixZone

Lombo + Langkow + Sarich for Spezza. Then re-sign Cammalleri (4.5-5.5) and sign bertuzzi (2).

Bourque (1.35) - Spezza (7) - Iggy (7)
Bertuzzi (2) - Cammalleri (4.5-5.5) - Moss
Glencross - Conroy - Boyd
Prust - Primeau - Nystrom

pardy - phaneuf
regehr ? (wilson/negrin/gio)
vandy - (wilson/negrin/gio)
(wilson/negrin/gio)

muwahahahaha

ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Qubax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
Lombo + Langkow + Sarich for Spezza. Then re-sign Cammalleri (4.5-5.5) and sign bertuzzi (2).

Bourque (1.35) - Spezza (7) - Iggy (7)
Bertuzzi (2) - Cammalleri (4.5-5.5) - Moss
Glencross - Conroy - Boyd
Prust - Primeau - Nystrom

pardy - phaneuf
regehr ? (wilson/negrin/gio)
vandy - (wilson/negrin/gio)
(wilson/negrin/gio)

muwahahahaha

So we'd just have Wilson, Negrin and Giordano as our 5th, 6th, 7th Dmen? When is this 2010, because certainly right now it's waaay to soon

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 04:40 PM
GoFlames

I am a huge fan of Regehr. Eklund has further rumours.... I know it is Eklund but in a way this actually makes some semblance of sense (not that I want to see Regehr go) as it depends on the mythical speculation about Bouwmeester...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Domino/1/18581

"I am hearing the only thing holding back a Spezza to Calgary trade may be the fact that both teams are leading the way in the Bouwmeester sweeps. It matters alot to Ottawa and Calgary that neither team uses up any of the resources they are holding to acquire Jay Bo. So the talks are preliminary only in that sense. They don't know what they are dealing with. The Flames could move Regehr much more easily if Jay Bo is in tow."

I texted back to see if there was any way that Florida would take Spezza for Jay Bo and just skip the middle man and my source responded that Florida "was not interested in taking on that much money right now."

more to come.

Old
12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Hey guys, Oilers fan here. Now let me start off by saying I'm not an Eklund believer in anyway, but I like to talke about things hypothetically sometimes....this would be one of them.

No question the Flames and Sens make good trading partners. The Flames need to get Iginla help to not only match what the Canucks did in getting Sundin, but your team looks like they could FINALLY become the Cup contender fans and media have been predicting they would be since the lockout. As for the Sens, the ship is sinking. I said the day they fired Muckler that this team was in complete turmoil. I LOVE saying I told you so Now they need a make over and everyone is saying Spezza is the odd man out, and while they can't get a centreman like Spezza back if they deal him, they can get someone out of Calgary that can still be a good guy to put with Heatley (either Langkow or Lombardi). To me Reghr makes no sense what so ever for Ottawa. Regehr, Phillips, Volchenkov, Smith, Kuba, and Bell. What!? Why do you need 4 stay at home d-men, and not one good-great puck mover??? Unless Bryan Murray completely lost his mind, Reghr won't be going back in a Spezza deal. Also you have the added theory comming out today that the Flames are after J-Bo as well. That's where I could see Regehr moving out, in a package for Bouwmeester.

So HYPOTHETICALLY if these moves were to happen, the deal that would make the most sense for all sides would be something like this (and this won't be exact, but close to)

To Ottawa: Langkow, Giordano, and a 1st round pick

To Calgary: Spezza

To Florida: Regehr and Wahl

To Calgary: Bouwmeester and a conditional 2nd (should he re-sign which he most likely would not)

Last edited by Zach and Slater: 12-29-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 08:51 PM
GoFlames

Yeah, well I just do not see Spezza on this team... think he has the rep as a whiner type... maybe I am not right there but that said it would be a great line with Iggy and Cammy.

I just do not see Regeher being traded, makes no sense at all.

Old
12-29-2008, 12:36 AM
cross16

Not only do I not want Spezza, i think he would be a very bad fit. He struggles with man to man coverage, something the Flames rely on in the defensive zone, and he turns the puck over constantly in the neutral zone, key part of the Flames system, as well as would then expose the defence. I don't see him fitting in here at any price.
Besides that, Sutter isn't moving Regehr, IMO. He has one of the better contracts in the league for a dman and is key to the Flames defence that Sutter is so passionate about. Plus, if Ottawa were to get a dman why get one in the mold of two they already have? It would make more sense for Ottawa to ask for Phaneuf than Regehr.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:57 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
The flames are playing the best hockey they have played in 3 years. Why on Earth would Sutter shake up the team like this? The timing makes no sense for a deal like this. If we were still struggling like early in the year then yeah maybe I could see it. Right now though not a chance in hell. The chemistry is good and the flames finally have a system in which they are having success.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 03:16 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
The flames are playing the best hockey they have played in 3 years. Why on Earth would Sutter shake up the team like this? The timing makes no sense for a deal like this. If we were still struggling like early in the year then yeah maybe I could see it. Right now though not a chance in hell. The chemistry is good and the flames finally have a system in which they are having success.
Just a guess here, but maybe because your team has been so inconsistant for the last 3 years and the managment and fans have seen this act before where they play like world beaters for a month and then play like the 75 Capitals for a month. And I'm not an Oiler fan trying to trash them, but honestly they have been one of if not THE most inconsistant team in the NHL for the past 2 or 3 seasons.

Old
12-29-2008, 03:21 AM
M4TR1X
HFB Partner

Sens Fan here.

I went into hockeybuzz today and saw this rumour. I laughed and said no this isn't happening. I do like Regehr a lot but yes I don't see that happening at all.

Now since Regehr does have a NMC why would he want to leave Calgary to go to Ottawa? Ottawa is horrible right now and Calgary could win their division this year.

It makes no sense.

M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 03:22 AM
Noori

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Just a guess here, but maybe because your team has been so inconsistant for the last 3 years and the managment and fans have seen this act before where they play like world beaters for a month and then play like the 75 Capitals for a month. And I'm not an Oiler fan trying to trash them, but honestly they have been one of if not THE most inconsistant team in the NHL for the past 2 or 3 seasons.
Well, they've been consistent for around 20 games now.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 03:57 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
This season has been different. Even when the flames were struggling at the beginning of the season I didn't think lack of effort or consistantcy was a problem like in the past years. And since the San Jose game they have been as consistant. It finally looks like the chemistry is where Sutter wants it to be. Everyone has a role and is playing well. Don't understand why he would tear it apart at this point.

Old
12-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Split98

Now... Langkow and Gio bring up great potential for Spezza. I agree... we have to be careful to not shake up the lockerroom, but Gio and Langs have hardly been impact this year. Both good, but nothing that would be destroy any momentum.

However... keep the Flames momentum and cohesion, and toss in a Spezza with minimal shakeup and you have one devastating team.

Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
This season has been different. Even when the flames were struggling at the beginning of the season I didn't think lack of effort or consistantcy was a problem like in the past years. And since the San Jose game they have been as consistant. It finally looks like the chemistry is where Sutter wants it to be. Everyone has a role and is playing well. Don't understand why he would tear it apart at this point.
Yeah very true. This is the first time since the 2004 playoff run that I think the team can honestly be able to capture a top 3 seed without the help of Vancouver loosing down the stretch or something as pathetic like that. The end result being the team backing into the playoffs by total accident like they are entitled to be there as 2004... This year it seems different.

The team seems to be that, a team. I just never know with Sutter but the way they are playing now is potent. If they keep winning they could even push for 2nd seed in the west although it may sound a bit out there at this point. First is pretty far off with teh Sharks way out.

I doubt Regehr is going anywhere (or wants to for that matter with a NMC). Regehr has been one of the rocks of Sutters team for years. Spezza... not sure but if we could get an additional mobile D man that could make the team even more potent but one is afraid to upset the apple cart! That said Gio and Pardy are pleasantly surprising me this year and Sarich has elevated his game to levels that I have not seen. It seems there is an intense work ethic all the way through the locker room... a sign of a Keenan team perhaps? Time will tell.

Old
12-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
But if the trade (or trades) was to be something like I proposed above, would that really be tearing the team apart? Sure J-Bo would be a short term guy, but J-Bo and Spezza added to Iginla, Kipper, Phaneuf, Cammalleri, Bertuzzi, etc. That's a heck of a team, and remember once again I'm a freakin die hard Oiler fan saying this!

Old
12-30-2008, 01:33 AM
flamesfan12

Quote:
But if the trade (or trades) was to be something like I proposed above, would that really be tearing the team apart? Sure J-Bo would be a short term guy, but J-Bo and Spezza added to Iginla, Kipper, Phaneuf, Cammalleri, Bertuzzi, etc. That's a heck of a team, and remember once again I'm a freakin die hard Oiler fan saying this!

Yes. Regehr and Langkow are huge leaders on this team. I really don't think the flames need to make a major move right now. We do face the Hawks and Sharks in the next week so it'll be interesting to see how we fare against them. Right now I think this flames team can play with them, but that may change after the games have been played.

And I actually don't really like your proposals either. First I don't see the point in bringing in Bouwmeester short term. If Sutter trades for him he better get him signed to an extension. With your proposal that's 5 guys (Iggy, Kipper, Spezza, Phaneuf and Bouwmeester) making big money. That's just to much of the cap spent on 5 players for a long time.

Old
12-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Yes. Regehr and Langkow are huge leaders on this team. I really don't think the flames need to make a major move right now. We do face the Hawks and Sharks in the next week so it'll be interesting to see how we fare against them. Right now I think this flames team can play with them, but that may change after the games have been played.

And I actually don't really like your proposals either. First I don't see the point in bringing in Bouwmeester short term. If Sutter trades for him he better get him signed to an extension. With your proposal that's 5 guys (Iggy, Kipper, Spezza, Phaneuf and Bouwmeester) making big money. That's just to much of the cap spent on 5 players for a long time.
Excellent post and my thoughts exactly. Adding Spezza's $7M contract would really hamstring the team's flexibility and ability to make moves under the cap. Spezza, Iginla, Phaneuf, and Kiprusoff alone would total $27.3M in cap space per season. That's way too much money to invest in four players. If they added Bouwmeester, you probably could add another $6.5M. That would be $33.8M in cap space on five guys, leaving between $17M and $20M to spend on the rest of the roster. The cap is likely to go down next year, so making these types of bold moves does not make sense for the franchise down the road.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote