PIM Brandon Prust 75
Plus/Minus Rene Bourque 7
PP Goals Jarome Iginla 8
SH Goals Rene Bourque 1

@

The Pengrowth Saddledome

NHL Preview
Quote:
When Calgary last hosted the Ottawa Senators, it was able to pull out a win against an Eastern Conference power. Now, the Flames look to take advantage of a matchup with an NHL doormat.
Quote:
The Senators (12-15-5), last in the Northeast Division, are 0-8-2 on the road since a 2-1 win at Florida on Oct. 30. It's Ottawa's longest such skid since dropping 38 in a row en route to finishing 1-40-0 on the road in their inaugural 1992-93 season.
Quote:
This will be the first meeting between the teams since Oct. 12, 2006, when Calgary won 1-0 at Ottawa. The last matchup at Calgary was on Dec. 10, 2005, and the Flames won 2-1 against a Senators team that went on to take the East's top seed entering the playoffs.
Quote:
Calgary scored three goals in the third period to beat Anaheim 4-3 on Tuesday night.

Brett Sutter, the son of Calgary general manager Darryl Sutter, scored his first goal at 3:59 of the third period.

"Words can't really describe it, it just feels good," the 21-year-old Sutter said about his first NHL game.
Quote:
Mark Giordano and Mike Cammalleri followed Sutter's goal to give the Flames a two-goal lead with less than 6 minutes left. Calgary went 2-for-28 (7.1 percent) on the power play in its previous seven games, but got a timely goal from Giordano with the man advantage versus the Ducks.

Analysis
Kill 'em. Put the pedal to the metal and don't let off. The Sens are bottom feeders but that's no reason to take the night off. We need to play solid defensivley and I expect Kipper to continue his recent form. I just want a solid, hard-nosed win from our guys tonight.

Injuries
Still no GlenX, he'll likely be back next week.
Ottawa's injuries include Kuba (groin), Foligno (facial injury), and Volchencov (facial injury)

RADIO
STREAM

And for those who may have forgotten what happened in the last game these two teams met:

Last edited by Noori: 12-27-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old
12-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Flames always do well against the Sens, and Calgary has been very good since that slaughter in San Jose, while the Sens have been the opposite since December of last year. I think the Flames will win this as long as they can just keep up what they're doing.

Goals tonight by Bertuzzi, Langkow, Iggy, and Bourque.
Sens goals Foligno, and Neil (who knows?)

Old
12-27-2008, 07:18 PM
ryz

vCash: 500
Gotta have the 2 points tonight before 2 straight divisional games. I think they'll get them.

Old
12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Hyperkookeez*

no kuba & no volchenkov, eh

sounds like an easy win

Old
12-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
no kuba & no volchenkov, eh

sounds like an easy win
As long as the team doesn't think that way...

Old
12-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Lunatik*

you couldnt find a pic of heatley in a new uniform or at least use their new logo?

Old
12-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
you couldnt find a pic of heatley in a new uniform or at least use their new logo?
Fixed it before you called the cops on me. Perhaps you should make the next GDT.

Old
12-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Fixed it before you called the cops on me. Perhaps you should make the next GDT.
nope... i stopped making game day threads for a reason... and anyone thats been here long enough knows why

Old
12-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
A good solid patient period. The Flames were in this period from the first puck drop. With high energy they passed well, skated hard and shot accurately. The forwards did a great job of coming back into the play to work defensively, and the defensive awareness was evident in every players game. It was good seeing the smooth and crisp first passes out of the zone, that was causing a good number of solid chances. The Flames also gained and held the offensive zone very well.

The Power play was doing everything right, with great possession, quick passes, and dangerous shots. That is until Giordano took a hooking penalty. It may just be me, but he's been taking a few bone headed penalties lately moreso than others. Time to smarten up. The penalty kill unit got a couple chances to show their stuff and were solid and unbreakable. The few times the Sens actually got scoring chances Miikka was there to deny all. He was absolute gold. Everyone was also doing very well keeping their sticks active and blocking passes and shots. Very good clearing shots too.

Miikka has been nothing short of spectacular that period. He simply stood on his ear stopping a few shots that I couldn't even believe were actually shots. That Dany Heatley face off shot was so quick I barely realized the puck had dropped when Miikka was already clenched up, holding the puck. Bourque again had a great period, hitting and shooting, and more importantly stopping goals. Lombardi too, was an absolute force in the first, flying all over the ice causing the Sens defense no end of trouble.

Old
12-27-2008, 09:56 PM
OffTheCrossBar*

Pretty decent period so far...the Flames are getting their legs back after the few days rest. They'll have alot more energy in the second period with some goal scoring.

That fight between Nystrom and Baas was awesome..Nystrom killed the guy as Baas got injured in that fight and had to leave to the dressing room.

Old
12-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Bourque! Flames within one

Old
12-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Bourque again!! Tie game

Old
12-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Anybody else not happy with Pardy's play respectively his handling tonite? He has been exposed to the Heatley line a couple of times and always has been in trouble.

Anyways, Bourque has tied the game.

Old
12-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Roy! Flames lead 3-2

Old
12-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Holy cow!!! Not to take anything away from the Flames, but I have seldom seen a team as fragile as this year's Sens.

Btw: nice set-up pass by Pardy.

Old
12-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
What an odd period. Truly that is the best way to describe the five goal blast that was that frame. The Flames came out strong, and played hard for about three shifts. Then their ability seemed to evaporate as Ottawa potted two very quick goals that can only be blamed on the poor defensive coverage of the Flames. Miikka stood absolutely no chance on either goal. Then just as suddenly the Flames returned to the game and in just under three minutes came back and took the lead. From that point on the Flames dominated every aspect of the game. They hit and shot and stole every loose puck on the ice.

The penalty kill was again absolutely flawless. Miikka again was without question stellar as he stopped a few shots he had no business finding let alone stopping. Once again great sticks and smart blocking sent the puck up the ice with alacrity. The power play too was absolutely magnificent. They may not have scored, but the overwhelming pressure and puck possession coupled with the amazing passing of the PP unit, created some incredible chances. Also of note is the heartening fact that an exponentially higher percentage of shots are going in on net.

I hate to gloat, but I said to watch for Bourque before the game, and look at that. Two goals already. Both of them from fantastic smart plays by Rene. He's been simply wonderful. I could not be happier with his play. Just keep this up! Miikka has been incredible in net tonight. So solid and comfortable looking. Roy also has been really strong on the puck. His whole line actually has been looking very dangerous. Bertuzzi has been somewhat invisible, and so has Lombardi that period. Which is horrible as he was so all over the place int he first.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:26 PM
TMLeafer
--------------------

Hat trick for Bourque!

Love this kid!

Old
12-27-2008, 11:27 PM
GoFlames

I missed the first period coming home form Christmas and then shovelling snow. What a time to start watching this game in the second. I like how the guys made quick work of a 2 goal defecit. Way to go Borque!

Old
12-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Timeless Enigma

Renee Who? This guy is on fire... Damn I giggled like a girl when he got his hattie.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:31 PM
soulj43r

Hat trick!!

Wow...I don't want to go over there but Chicago, thanks for Bourque!

Also...the Sens have like 89 turn overs tonight...about 3 goals were causes of turnovers.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:31 PM
soulj43r

Phaneuf almost had that one.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Kamina
Amok

Brendan Bell gift-wrapped this for you guys. Good game.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:38 PM
soulj43r

^^

Same with Spezza. 2 great giveaways and 2 goals.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Noori

Sens defense was even more pathetic than I thought it would be. Wow, they just could not break out of their own zone tonight.

Old
12-27-2008, 11:41 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Sens defense was even more pathetic than I thought it would be. Wow, they just could not break out of their own zone tonight.
Yeah totally. Their offensive players were also brutally defensively.... turn over central there... Ottawa needs to do something whatever that is. Glad for the win.

Closed Thread