HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another bad game by the Rangers, swedish article(translated)

Old
12-28-2008, 01:03 AM
reaper

vCash: 500
Another bad game by the Rangers, swedish article(translated)

http://www.hockeyexpressen.se/nhl/1....und-fram-sagen

Chrisis in Rangers - Makes Naslund bring out the saw

New York. The chrisis in the New York Rangers is now complete. Even Markus Naslund is now questioning his teammates:
- Some guys doesn't seem to know the system, or they down't want to play it says the star to HockeyExpressen.se after the Rangers 4 - 2 loss to the Devils this night.

The rangers let Henrik Lundqvist down - again.

The sloppy defense has now cost the team from Manhattan way too many games and the coach Tom Renney had no problem questioning his stars tonight:
- It's braindead hockey. I'm very disappointed with many of this clubs key players, he said.
More to do for Henrik Lundqvist

Henrik Lundqvist is playing in the back and he is suffering from the bad play.
- That's what it's like being a goaltender. Many games I feel that I have played well but still let in many goals. Shots is one thing but when there is a lot of high quality scoring chances , then it's difficult, says "Lunkan" with a disappointed voice.
And he has black on white that the defense is worse. The last month it has been proved that they give up more high quality scoring chances then before.
- The first 20 games we gave up about 12 or 13 of those chances per game. Now it's over 20...If you play well as a goaltender you give up about one goal per 6 chances. Do the math yourself, we can't continue like this.
The match yesterday was a good example how the swede team Rangers has been playing lately. And yet again - soon the teams trademark - they let in a shorthanded goal again.
- We are an easy team to meet right now says Lundqvist briefly.
"Very disappointed"

Markus Näslund agrees:

- We have to find our identity. Whether if we loose or not we have to play the same way every game. Some guys doesn't seem to know the system, or the don't want to play it. Either that or it's a problem with self confidence he says. Tom Renney might trade some of the teams stars if nothing happens.
- We're not a team that scores many goals, end of story. We have to realize this and try to win games by 2-1. When we win like that, then we can think about playing more offensively. Noone will be traded if we improve but right now I'm very disappointed. During the Sunday morning the Rangers will have a meeting and the players will arrive extra early to the training, this was written in the changing room after the game.
- Meeting tomorrow, look at that said Markus Näslund when he got a sight of it.
- That will be funny...

Last edited by reaper: 12-28-2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: spelling
reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Balej20*

That will be funny? Huh? I guess that's just poor translating.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:41 AM
reaper

In swedish it's roligt, which translates to funny. Couldn't find a better word but anyway he is saying it in a sarcastic way which doesn't show in writing of course.

reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 02:19 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
In swedish it's roligt, which translates to funny. Couldn't find a better word but anyway he is saying it in a sarcastic way which doesn't show in writing of course.
Thanks for this. Shows us some things we don't really see in the American coverage of the Rangers.

Naslund has really stepped up. The guy clearly wants to be a Ranger and knows the meaning behind it. He's also not afraid to voice his opinion. With all of the crap we hear daily about bad contracts, I think Naslund was simply an amazing signing at only 4 million for 2 years. He's become one of my favorite Rangers.

Also, Naslund says that "nobody will be traded" if they improve. Is he implying that there is the possibility of trades happening?

It's good to see that Renney, Naslund, and Lundqvist, the main voices of the team, are openly displaying dissapointment with the crap they've put out on the ice. They very well could continue on the way they have been and still lock up a #5 seed or so, but if they plan on making any noise in the playoffs then they better wake up and start playing much better than they have been.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 02:19 AM
The Thomas J.*

So what does this mean exatcly? The team is revolting led by the swedes?

So what, is the lockeroom on the verge of imploding?

Does this mean Renney is gonna start scratching some player who have under achieved & push Sather to trade or waive them????

This article means nothing if action is not taken.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 04:25 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
That will be funny? Huh? I guess that's just poor translating.
Nazzy was 'slightly' sarcastic in that quote.

One should also be a bit careful when reading those interviews, translated or not.

The reporters (esp on the tabloids) are actively looking for as controversial quotes as they can squeeze out of the players.

They also take homerism (or swedishism in this case) to a whole new level.

Swedish players just can't do anything wrong, not even when they are openly admitting it themselfs.

The reporters will gladly blame other players, the system, the coach, the gm, the audience, the weather, the water or the local food to redirect any form of blame from Swedish players.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 05:26 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
So what does this mean exatcly? The team is revolting led by the swedes?

So what, is the lockeroom on the verge of imploding?

Does this mean Renney is gonna start scratching some player who have under achieved & push Sather to trade or waive them????

This article means nothing if action is not taken.
It worked in Detroit.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 05:37 AM
Chimp

They're just saying what we're seeing. Some players look really, really lost out there. Some players haven't even been remotely close to earning their paycheck. Some coaches should be thankful as hell that they're keeping their jobs.

And yeah, allowing 20+ quality scoring chances is generally a bad thing for a low scoring team. But yeah, continue blaming Hank because his GAA has rised. He has been really good and sharp in some games and still allowed a high number of goals. Then the statz boyz come in after checking nhl.com and start whining on him for his statz.

It's not a fluke Lundqvist has 0 shutouts this season. A shutout is a team effort where you dominate the other team. We've seen nothing of that this season, it's more of the other way around. Alot more.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 05:49 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
They're just saying what we're seeing. Some players look really, really lost out there. Some players haven't even been remotely close to earning their paycheck. Some coaches should be thankful as hell that they're keeping their jobs.

And yeah, allowing 20+ quality scoring chances is generally a bad thing for a low scoring team. But yeah, continue blaming Hank because his GAA has rised. He has been really good and sharp in some games and still allowed a high number of goals. Then the statz boyz come in after checking nhl.com and start whining on him for his statz.

It's not a fluke Lundqvist has 0 shutouts this season. A shutout is a team effort where you dominate the other team. We've seen nothing of that this season, it's more of the other way around. Alot more.
That's the main reason you have to watch goaltenders to appreciate them. Hank has had a very good season, on a horribly inconsistent team. His stats don't do him justice and that's an understatement. The team is easily sub .500 without him, and I mean much sub .500 without him, yet some people don't think he's elite because NHL.com says so.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:10 AM
crabcz

NYRSinceBirth: Yeah, other goaltenders have it sooooo easy...

crabcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:31 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
It worked in Detroit.
Have you seen Red Wings this year?

They are almost as frustrating to watch as Rangers.

They've played for the entire 60 minutes once this season, and that was when Sharks was visiting.

Old
12-28-2008, 11:36 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcz View Post
NYRSinceBirth: Yeah, other goaltenders have it sooooo easy...
Compared to the Rangers, yes... many goalies do have it easy. If giving up 20 quality scoring chances to a team that couldn't generate a single goal for 160 minutes doesn't display that well enough then I don't know what does.

Old
12-28-2008, 11:40 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

"That will be funny"

It's sarcastic. He knows they have been playing like crap. The coaching staff is going to let them know it. It will be/was an intense meeting, most likely.

And, another thing is they are saying that Renney will make trades. I'm sure that is a product of the translation, because Renney doesn't make trades. He is not the GM. I'm sure he gives his input to Sather. But ultimately, Sather is the GM and President. He makes the personnel decisions.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:57 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
"That will be funny"

It's sarcastic. He knows they have been playing like crap. The coaching staff is going to let them know it. It will be/was an intense meeting, most likely.

And, another thing is they are saying that Renney will make trades. I'm sure that is a product of the translation, because Renney doesn't make trades. He is not the GM. I'm sure he gives his input to Sather. But ultimately, Sather is the GM and President. He makes the personnel decisions.
I think that the actual quote would be "_That_ will be funny ..."

The article hints at 'changes in personnel might happen', not that Renney will make 'em happen.

The other reporter writing from the same occasion added that 'change in personnel' doesn't have to be a trade, it could just as well be a new coach ...

Old
12-28-2008, 12:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
I think that the actual quote would be "_That_ will be funny ..."

The article hints at 'changes in personnel might happen', not that Renney will make 'em happen.

The other reporter writing from the same occasion added that 'change in personnel' doesn't have to be a trade, it could just as well be a new coach ...
Is that speculation? Or is that information gathered from inside sources?

I'm curious to know.

I honestly think it would be a big mistake to fire Renney.

You throw a new coach on the NHL bench, and it disrupts the entire organization. The staff in Hartford run the same systems. It makes it a hell of a lot easier for the young guys to step in and contribute in the NHL.

The real problem with this team begins and ends with Gomez, Redden, Naslund, Drury, and Kalinin. There is simply not enough consistent effort from those guys.

Old
12-28-2008, 12:26 PM
hdw

Quote:

I'm curious to know.

I honestly think it would be a big mistake to fire Renney.

You throw a new coach on the NHL bench, and it disrupts the entire organization. The staff in Hartford run the same systems. It makes it a hell of a lot easier for the young guys to step in and contribute in the NHL.

The real problem with this team begins and ends with Gomez, Redden, Naslund, Drury, and Kalinin. There is simply not enough consistent effort from those guys.
Here's the factual background.

The reporter behind the translated article (Henrik Ek), who is a freelance penning that article for Expressen, an his partner in crime from the other Swedish tabloid (Aftonbladet's Per Bjurman) watched the game together, and visited the locker room(s) together.

They both wrote articles about the game and Bjurman added a bit of more details in his blog (as like this one).

The only hard fact is that Nazzy looked at the board that read:

9:45 Arrive
11:00 Ice

And said "That will turn out to be fun", with his voice dripping with sarcasm, before heading to the showers.

The local reporters then started to mumble about changes in the crew, but Renney refused to listen to that, stating that no such action was at hand.

Bjurman added, and I agree, that Renney might have missed the fact that he himself is one of the crew.

I don't think that any trade, or change in mgmt will save this team.

Getting their effing act together will.

Trading Nazzy, Gomer or Drury will not save anything.

But if Renney can't get this team to work.

Then it's much more efficient to replace the coach with someone who can, instead of trying to rebuild a team in the middle of the season.

Old
12-28-2008, 02:50 PM
crabcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Compared to the Rangers, yes... many goalies do have it easy. If giving up 20 quality scoring chances to a team that couldn't generate a single goal for 160 minutes doesn't display that well enough then I don't know what does.
If you exclude Florida, Tampa, Atlanta, Islanders, Edmonton, Phoenix, St.Louis, Anaheim, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Carolina (and probably Pittsburgh) then Lundqvist has it pretty hard.

Old
12-28-2008, 03:14 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
If you exclude Florida, Tampa, Atlanta, Islanders, Edmonton, Phoenix, St.Louis, Anaheim, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Carolina (and probably Pittsburgh) then Lundqvist has it pretty hard.
Those three don't belong there. They actually know the meaning of "defense"

Philadelphia is scoring 5 goals a game, which takes a ton of pressure off Biron. Not to mention he's played 10 less games than Lundqvist

How many of the other goalies have played 30+ games this season behind one of the worst offenses in the league? Mike Smith and Andy McDonald are the only ones I can think of that come close.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Probably some speculation after hearing Renney's response to Sam's question at the post-game last night. Sam asked about personnel changes and Renney didn't say "no" but he didn't say "yes" either.

Until this team is around / below .500, I doubt we see any drastic moves made.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 03:43 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
They are almost as frustrating to watch as Rangers.

They've played for the entire 60 minutes once this season, and that was when Sharks was visiting.
Pretty much the same deal for us, except it was 58 minutes and the 2 minutes to start that game are what lost us the game.

Statistically the team that scores first wins about 60 percent of the time, and for the team that scores first 4 times in a row its about 100%... except if its the Rangers....

But the Red Wings will make the playoffs top 4 because its the western division.... we very well may not at this pace, and if we do it could be as number 7 or 8

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 03:54 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
And out of those teams only Florida, Anaheim, and Minnesota have a starting goalie even close to the ability of Lundqvist (Dipietro has been out the whole year). And out of all of those teams only Anaheim, Minnesota, and Philadelphia are going to be playoff threats.

By the way, I'd like to hear how you can back up that these goalies have it as hard or harder than Lundqvist does. I have a hard time believing that you closely watch all of these teams.

Old
12-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Ola

I think these things are best kept in the lockerroom.

But there have been some players, Brandon Dubinsky for example, who really should be thankful that Renney is a patient coach or they would have worn another sweater by know. He seems to live in some kind of fantasy land about what kind of hockeyplayer he is and what he needs to do on the ice.

Some players tend to think the solutions to our problems is to abandon our system and play a run and gun style. Well if thats kept up it will become very obvious that Lundqvist have NOT been carrying this team alone. Hank or not we would probably give up an avg or 4-6 goals per game if thats done.

The press in NY without any doubt is the least knowledgeble in the sports world. They preached that trapping was impossible in NY, when winning without trapping in reality was the only thing that was impossible during the trapping era. Detroit and Colorado trapped (played organized defense), I think MSG could have lived with either of thoose teams in NY instead of what we saw. But the press in NY still preached that that was impossible.

Now it seems some of the young players are taking their advice from thoose "experts" in the media.

I think just about any real experts watching the NYR can figure out that they don't have what it takes to be a highscoring team. Gomez is a 70 pts player. Drury a 60 pts player. Näslund a 55+ pts player. Who exactly is supposed to score all thoose goals for us? Freddie Sjöström? Ryan Callahan? Like even NJD have vastly more offensive firepower then us with Elias, Parise, Gionta, Langenbrunner, Madden, Zajac and Roloston. Not to mention teams like Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington and co.

Nah I think Drury showed some real leadership ability with the comments he made after the caps game. Someone needs to learn thoose clowns in the NY press that this team should be very thankful if they can finnish above the 7th overall spot in the east.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 04:55 PM
crabcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30
And out of those teams only Florida, Anaheim, and Minnesota have a starting goalie even close to the ability of Lundqvist (Dipietro has been out the whole year). And out of all of those teams only Anaheim, Minnesota, and Philadelphia are going to be playoff threats.
Yes, many of them are not as good as Lundqvist, but your previous posts are about defence, not abilities of goaltenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30
By the way, I'd like to hear how you can back up that these goalies have it as hard or harder than Lundqvist does. I have a hard time believing that you closely watch all of these teams.
How can YOU back up that he has it the hardest?

I watch NHL games every day so I can get the idea, especially when a czech player is involved.

BTW, Lundqvist is not playing his best hockey either and is not the best goalie in the NHL at the time, not even closely. He is rather average. He is more talented than others, but he is not showing it.
To be clear - our goaltending is the least problematic position, but that doesn't mean perfect.

Old
12-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
Even Markus Naslund is now questioning his teammates:
- Some guys doesn't seem to know the system, or they down't want to play it says the star to HockeyExpressen.se after the Rangers 4 - 2 loss to the Devils this night.
That's a really troubling quote and I'm not sure what to make of it. Are the players tuning Renney out? Do they find the game strategy so bad that they WON'T play it? Is it incapable of being executed properly by the lower level players that make up the roster?

Quote:

And said "That will turn out to be fun", with his voice dripping with sarcasm, before heading to the showers.
See, now that quote almost leads me to believe that Renney's being tuned out. As if, they're going to be ripped up and down, but in the end, nothing will change.

Dissension in the ranks, never a good thing. It's really time for Renney to regain control of this situation, one way or another.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 05:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Here's the factual background.

The reporter behind the translated article (Henrik Ek), who is a freelance penning that article for Expressen, an his partner in crime from the other Swedish tabloid (Aftonbladet's Per Bjurman) watched the game together, and visited the locker room(s) together.

They both wrote articles about the game and Bjurman added a bit of more details in his blog (as like this one).

The local reporters then started to mumble about changes in the crew, but Renney refused to listen to that, stating that no such action was at hand.

Bjurman added, and I agree, that Renney might have missed the fact that he himself is one of the crew.

I don't think that any trade, or change in mgmt will save this team.

Getting their effing act together will.

Trading Nazzy, Gomer or Drury will not save anything.

But if Renney can't get this team to work.

Then it's much more efficient to replace the coach with someone who can, instead of trying to rebuild a team in the middle of the season.
Maybe, but i really would like to see some of these guys shipped out and replaced with younger, cheaper players.

I guess if you are looking for an attempt at a quick fix for the NHL roster, then a new coaching staff could in theory work. It doesn't always. Look at Tampa Bay. Sometimes it really is the players, and the fact that they have no heart, no guts. Which i think is the real problem with the Rangers. I think the leadership group has no heart.

The other problem is, if you replace Renney now mid season. You have to have an organizational meeting, including the AHL coaching staff and management, and all get on the same page. And that is not an easy task, either.

It may look like the quick fix, but in the long run it is the change that takes the longest to adjust to for the organization.

After all, i like to consider the overall health of the organization, Hartford and the other affiliates included, is more important then the immediate fix of the NHL squad. Long term health over short term fix.

Id rather see some of these overpaid, no heart players like Gomez and Redden shipped out for peanuts in return, and then go from there. Look toward the draft. Try to get a couple of extra picks.