HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Doug Weight + Islanders 2nd Round Draft Pick

Old
12-28-2008, 02:07 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
All that is true.

What does it have to do with the thread though?
Thread is about Doug Weight...

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 02:10 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
A package deal for both of them isn't happening 100%. Still fun to speculate because there is little to do as an Islander fan right now, but not happening.

Having said that, can some one tell me how to pro rate their contracts? It is a cap question I am very interested in.
Pro-rating contracts goes by the # of days the player spends on the NHL roster. There are 186 days in this season, although you can get approximate numbers by just dividing the # of games on the roster by 82.

The trade deadline this year is March 4th. Rosters are determined as of Noon each day, so a player traded in the evening of March 4th would start counting on the roster on March 5th. Last day of the season is April 12th, so a player traded on the deadline evening would be on the receiving team's roster for 39 days (39/186=21%).

So using Weight/Guerin's combined cap hit of $8.8mil, a team would need to have $1.85mil in payroll room to trade for both of them at the deadline.

*** Important note: most deadline deals involve impending UFA's. If the player being traded has a contract with more seasons remaining then there are some extra hoops to jump through. The receiving team also needs to have cap space available the Next season to absorb the contract and/or start Tagging contracts to fit the player in (which is a completely different topic).

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 02:20 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
I hope the Isles manage to get a 2nd rounder and prospect for Weight. If we get a late first, perhaps by selling the Weight/Guerin duo together (because they mesh so well), that would be fab.
It's still way too early to be trying to judge what teams might be able to get for players at the deadline. Today a 1st round pick for Weight seems hard to believe but I wouldn't say a late first at the deadline for Weight is out of the question because historically teams have tended to overpay at the deadline. There aren't too many deals on deadline day where you sit around and say "wow, that guy went for cheap!". Far too often it's things like "I can't believe they got 1st rounder for Ladislav Nagy!"

The deadline is still a few months off. Teams are going to suffer injuries, a team expecting to contend for the Cup is going to struggle, another team not expecting to contend is going to find themselves sitting in or close to a playoff spot, some GM will worry about keeping his job, etc. All these things impact deadline value.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Thread is about Doug Weight...

No it isn't. Its a thread about his trade value NOW, not the kind of player he was with the Ducks. Right now, he is on a PPG pace and he has not been the lazy disinterested player he was in Anaheim. He seems to have bounced back and last year is looking more and more like a blip on the map.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
It's still way too early to be trying to judge what teams might be able to get for players at the deadline. Today a 1st round pick for Weight seems hard to believe but I wouldn't say a late first at the deadline for Weight is out of the question because historically teams have tended to overpay at the deadline. There aren't too many deals on deadline day where you sit around and say "wow, that guy went for cheap!". Far too often it's things like "I can't believe they got 1st rounder for Ladislav Nagy!"

The deadline is still a few months off. Teams are going to suffer injuries, a team expecting to contend for the Cup is going to struggle, another team not expecting to contend is going to find themselves sitting in or close to a playoff spot, some GM will worry about keeping his job, etc. All these things impact deadline value.

All of this is quite true, of course. In fact, everything you've written seems almost undeniable to me.

However, it is worth pointing out that Nagy got a first in what was projected to be one of the weakest first rounds in decades. This coming draft is said to be quite strong. So, a 2nd rounder this year may have as much value as a first that year.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 03:10 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
All of this is quite true, of course. In fact, everything you've written seems almost undeniable to me.

However, it is worth pointing out that Nagy got a first in what was projected to be one of the weakest first rounds in decades. This coming draft is said to be quite strong. So, a 2nd rounder this year may have as much value as a first that year.
That's true too. Every year though someone overpays and makes that headscratcher move. I'm not expecting this trade deadline to be any different really. Maybe the Isles will be the lucky ones this year and get overpaid for something.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
I don't care how well he's doing this season, the man was brutal for the Ducks. Lazy, slow, stupid decisions.
Holy shortsightedness Batman

According to your logic the Sharks should have 100% got rid of Marleau because last year he had a bad season. So essentially one bad year indicates how a player plays from there on out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Pro-rating contracts goes by the # of days the player spends on the NHL roster. There are 186 days in this season, although you can get approximate numbers by just dividing the # of games on the roster by 82.

The trade deadline this year is March 4th. Rosters are determined as of Noon each day, so a player traded in the evening of March 4th would start counting on the roster on March 5th. Last day of the season is April 12th, so a player traded on the deadline evening would be on the receiving team's roster for 39 days (39/186=21%).

So using Weight/Guerin's combined cap hit of $8.8mil, a team would need to have $1.85mil in payroll room to trade for both of them at the deadline.

*** Important note: most deadline deals involve impending UFA's. If the player being traded has a contract with more seasons remaining then there are some extra hoops to jump through. The receiving team also needs to have cap space available the Next season to absorb the contract and/or start Tagging contracts to fit the player in (which is a completely different topic).
Ah, so I did do it right a whiles back:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...4&postcount=37

Both guys do not have contracts for next season. I am also assuming salary space isn't prorated, is that a correct assumption?

So a hypethetical situation could realistically have Guerin and Weight traded together in order to trade some one two players that have chemistry and can make a team a lot deeper. Will it happen, 99% no. Is it fun to think of scenarios where it could happen, 99% yes

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 04:59 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Lost in the fracas, someone threw out Rusty Olesz' name. While I don't think Weight alone could acquire him, this is the kind of young player I hope the Isles are interested in picking up: talented, has not yet panned out and Fla may be losing patience with.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Lost in the fracas, someone threw out Rusty Olesz' name. While I don't think Weight alone could acquire him, this is the kind of young player I hope the Isles are interested in picking up: talented, has not yet panned out and Fla may be losing patience with.
Olesz would be exactly the kind of return I think the Isles should look for in trading Weight by himself. The kid has all the tools, but is still a little bit of a project. Cory Murphy I wouldn't have much interest in personally, as the Isles have too many offensive young Dmen already. But take out Jackman and Murphy, maybe add a mid range pick from the Cats, and I'd pull the trigger on that one easy.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:54 AM
David71

grabner for doug weight?

David71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:58 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*