Terry O'Reilly 32 32.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-28-2008, 12:08 PM
finchster

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Greatest Bruins of all time #9

Vote for one player on the list who you think is the best for whatever reason (stats, skill, their importance to the team, etc). Who ever has the most votes wins the round of voting. The player who wins the vote will be taken off the list for the next round of voting. When you vote be sure to leave a post saying who should replace the winning player on the next voting list and (if you want) your justification of who you voted for. The player that is posted the most to replace the winning player of the list will be next on the vote.

Current List
#1. Bobby Orr (90.16%) 110/122
#2. Ray Bourque (50.00%) 68/136
#3. Eddie Shore (47.97%) 59/123
#4. Cam Neely (38.13%) 53/139
#5. Milt Schmidt (42.62%) 52/122
#6. Phil Esposito (61.11%) 62/108
#7. Johnny Bucyk (47.11%) 57/121
#8. Tiny Thompson (26.47%) 27/102

Leo Boivin is on the list.

My vote goes to old time hockey Dit Clapper. Clapper was an all star at forward and defense and was loved by Bruins fans and respected across the NHL. He is the only Bruins player to win three Stanley Cups as a player, and the longest serving captain of the Bruins until Ray Bourque and the longest serving captain of any NHL team until Bourque and Yzerman. He was the first player to play 20 seasons which he would play all with Boston and on his retirement the hall of fame would waive the three year waiting period and he was inducted into the hall of fame that night. Clapper would also be coach of the Bruins from 1945-1949 and his number 5 is retired by Boston. Clapper is truly one of the greatest players ever.

Clapper Links
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...sp?mem=P194701

http://www.cshof.ca/accessible/hm_profile.php?i=450

http://bruinslegends.blogspot.com/20...t-clapper.html

I am going to go with Don Sweeney to replace the winner.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=582203
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=582454
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=582912
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=583521
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=584051
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=584824
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=585453
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=586817

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:17 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Voted Clapper, again. He'll be getting my vote until he wins the round.

And Sweeney is the guy being added? Wow. There are countless B's that could have been added before him, IMHO.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:30 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
Voted Clapper, again. He'll be getting my vote until he wins the round.

And Sweeney is the guy being added? Wow. There are countless B's that could have been added before him, IMHO.
Just a personal favorite who would you add

Old
12-28-2008, 12:39 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Just a personal favorite who would you add
Oh, I can see adding him if he's a favorite of yours. No disrespect to Sweeney (or you, because I'm loving these polls) was meant.

I'd probably add someone like Ted Green or Stan Jonathan, personally. Sweeney's good, but he's more in line with the Juneaus or Janneys or Peeters' of the world ... just the next tier down from the all-time greats.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 01:05 PM
BlueAndGold

I voted for Clapper. He was an active player for 20 seasons (a first for any NHL player) on the Bruins, won three Cups, named to the All-Star team both as a defenseman and forward, a Hall of Fame member, and a Bruins coach in the 1940s.

From Boston Bruins Legends:

Quote:
The Hockey News wrote the following in 1948: "Clapper had a simple creed - he fought his heart out, bounced players around and took the same kind of punishment he dished out. Once the game was over, however, he forgot it all and never held a grudge. That's what made him so popular with other players and fans throughout the entire NHL circuit.
Please do some research and not overlook these players from long past. If you start your logic with "the best I've seen play, so I'm voting for XYZ" and you weren't born before 1915, then Google the players on the list you're not familiar with before voting. Having said that, my next votes will be for O'Reilly, Brimsek, and Cashman, two of whom I watched in my younger days. O'Reilly and Cashman do exemplify what it means to be a Bruin.

Please add Ted Green to the list.

BlueAndGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 03:49 PM
sarge88

Keith Crowder should get the next nod, IMO.

A very solid, hardworking, honest player who had a lot of good years in his role.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 06:09 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
Oh, I can see adding him if he's a favorite of yours. No disrespect to Sweeney (or you, because I'm loving these polls) was meant.

I'd probably add someone like Ted Green or Stan Jonathan, personally. Sweeney's good, but he's more in line with the Juneaus or Janneys or Peeters' of the world ... just the next tier down from the all-time greats.
I put Sweeney above just because he was apart of some great teams and he played almost all his career here playing 1,052 games. He was a good defensman behind Bourque and he is now director of player development with the Bruins. By the looks of things with the development of our stars he has done a very good job

Juneau Janney and Peeters I would put in the same group of players as Joe Thornton. They had some great years playing here but played most of their careers elsewhere or achiving more success elsewhere. I would put Sweeney ahead of thoes guys for his long career with Boston and probably on the same level as Green or Jonathan.

Old
12-29-2008, 01:28 AM
finchster

*bump*
Just as a side note I don't know how Brimsek has zero votes and Cheevers has five

Old
12-29-2008, 01:50 AM
8BostonRocker24

Can we at least get through the retired numbers before voting for Tiny Thompson? Dit Clapper should be a head of him.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:58 AM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Can we at least get through the retired numbers before voting for Tiny Thompson? Dit Clapper should be a head of him.
Thompson and Brimsek both wore number 1 and for some reason the Bruins do not retire goalies numbers. The Bruins are the only original six team never to retire number one. Thompson and Brimsek in my opinion could have their numbers retired but for some decision by the Bruins goalies have not had their number retired. In the case of these guys u can say they are as good as the players who had their numbers retired.

Old
12-29-2008, 02:10 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Tiny Thompson was at least one of the best goalies of his time and arguably the greatest Bruins goaltender ever. Clapper finishing behind O'Reilly is truly absurd though.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:08 AM
krauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Tiny Thompson was at least one of the best goalies of his time and arguably the greatest Bruins goaltender ever. Clapper finishing behind O'Reilly is truly absurd though.
Agreed but I would go further - if it were possible to get the opinion of someone from the late 40s who saw Clapper play, could attest to his influence and the respect in which he was held by Bruins fans and hockey fans in general, I would submit that it's absurd that he is finishing behind not only O'Reilly but also, Neely, Espo, Thompson, quite possibly Bucyk and maybe even Ray. Personally I think that it's really close between Clapper, Chief and Bourque because they all had very long careers with the Bruins and were the team leaders for the majority of the tenures. The Cup count favors the first two, overall stats the latter.

O'Reilly needs to be considered soon but I don't believe that he is necessarily a gimme ahead of Cashman. When Chief retired I am pretty sure it was Cashman that was given the "C", not O'Reilly. And Cash's stats are slightly better. I think that Taz is deservedly a lot of people's favorite player but, like Neely, he needs to not be placed too high on the list for that reason only.

krauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:57 AM
hawgs38

Send a message via MSN to hawgs38
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauts View Post
Agreed but I would go further - if it were possible to get the opinion of someone from the late 40s who saw Clapper play, could attest to his influence and the respect in which he was held by Bruins fans and hockey fans in general, I would submit that it's absurd that he is finishing behind not only O'Reilly but also, Neely, Espo, Thompson, quite possibly Bucyk and maybe even Ray. Personally I think that it's really close between Clapper, Chief and Bourque because they all had very long careers with the Bruins and were the team leaders for the majority of the tenures. The Cup count favors the first two, overall stats the latter.

O'Reilly needs to be considered soon but I don't believe that he is necessarily a gimme ahead of Cashman. When Chief retired I am pretty sure it was Cashman that was given the "C", not O'Reilly. And Cash's stats are slightly better. I think that Taz is deservedly a lot of people's favorite player but, like Neely, he needs to not be placed too high on the list for that reason only.
Krauts, well said. I am a huge fan of Taz but had been fighting for Chief and gave Clapper the nod b/c I think that not only was he a great Bruin he was a founding father of the organization. Taz will (and should) get his due as one of the all-time great B's not because of his stats but because any fan in the last 30 years identifies him as what it means to be a bruin. But there were a few guys before Taz who set that bar for him and Clapper was one of those guys!

hawgs38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:12 PM
finchster

I wonder how an all time Bruins team would do against other teams all time teams? In some simulation online. I think we would obviously have the best D corps

Old
12-29-2008, 01:18 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Maybe I'm Bias. Clapper is one of my favorites all time, as far as the older guys go I really only like Shore more then him.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:30 PM
bruinforstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
I wonder how an all time Bruins team would do against other teams all time teams? In some simulation online. I think we would obviously have the best D corps
My starting six....

G: Thompson
D: Orr
D: Shore
W: Neely
W: Dumart
C: Espo

That's a pretty impressive line-up!

bruinforstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Maybe I'm Bias. Clapper is one of my favorites all time, as far as the older guys go I really only like Shore more then him.
I think the poll should have been qualified to be "that you have seen" or something like that. Since that is what it turned into.

Case in point for real old timers if you said Bourque finished up here as second best Bruin of all time, some would counter with Ray wasn't even the second best Bruin defenseman of all time.

That honor would have gone to Shore.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:48 PM
bruinforstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I think the poll should have been qualified to be "that you have seen" or something like that. Since that is what it turned into.

Case in point for real old timers if you said Bourque finished up here as second best Bruin of all time, some would counter with Ray wasn't even the second best Bruin defenseman of all time.
That honor would have gone to Shore.
Agreed. I'm not THAT old but Bourque wouldn't crack my Top 5 Bruins of all time.

Old
12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
krauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinforstanley View Post
Agreed. I'm not THAT old but Bourque wouldn't crack my Top 5 Bruins of all time.
I have to disagree (and I've been supporting the old boys in almost every vote). At some point stats are relevant and Ray is the highest scoring d-man of all time. Equally important to me, he is the longest serving Bs captain (Clapper is second) and second only to Yzerman all-time. Five Norris trophies. Here are some other stats (courtesy Wikpedia but I believe that I've heard most if not all elsewhere before):

- The NHL career leader in shots on goal with 6206, nearly a thousand ahead of the second leading shooter, Marcel Dionne (!)
- Is third in all-time cumulative plus-minus with 528, behind Larry Robinson and Bobby Orr.
- # Named a First Team All-Star in 1980, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1990–1994, 1996 and 2001.
- # Named a Second Team All-Star in 1981, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1995 and 1999.

And maybe most importantly for the purposes of this poll:

-Is the Bruins' all-time career leader in games played, assists and points; also ranks fourth in goals

There are an awful lot of "all-time" stats associated with Ray Bourque.

Old
12-29-2008, 02:37 PM
finchster

Quote:
My starting six....

G: Thompson
D: Orr
D: Shore
W: Neely
W: Dumart
C: Espo

That's a pretty impressive line-up!
I think I would go with my all time Bruins team

Johnny Bucyk -- Phil Esposito -- Cam Neely
Woody Dumart -- Milt Schmidt -- Bobby Bauer (gotta keep the krauts together)
Wayne Cashman -- Bill Cowley -- Rick Middleton
Derek Sanderson -- Cooney Weiland -- Terry O'Reilly

Bobby Orr -- Ray Bourque
Eddie Shore -- Dit Clapper
Brad Park -- Lionel Hitchman

Tiny Thompson
Frank Brimsek

Last edited by finchster: 12-30-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old
12-29-2008, 02:38 PM
bruinforstanley

Quote:
I have to disagree (and I've been supporting the old boys in almost every vote). At some point stats are relevant and Ray is the highest scoring d-man of all time. Equally important to me, he is the longest serving Bs captain (Clapper is second) and second only to Yzerman all-time. Five Norris trophies. Here are some other stats (courtesy Wikpedia but I believe that I've heard most if not all elsewhere before):

- The NHL career leader in shots on goal with 6206, nearly a thousand ahead of the second leading shooter, Marcel Dionne (!)
- Is third in all-time cumulative plus-minus with 528, behind Larry Robinson and Bobby Orr.
- # Named a First Team All-Star in 1980, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1990–1994, 1996 and 2001.
- # Named a Second Team All-Star in 1981, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1995 and 1999.

And maybe most importantly for the purposes of this poll:

-Is the Bruins' all-time career leader in games played, assists and points; also ranks fourth in goals

There are an awful lot of "all-time" stats associated with Ray Bourque.
What makes this thread great is the perception of those voting. Some will vote for only those who they've seen. Some will vote out of respect. Some will vote by stats, etc...

This is why I enjoy seeing the responses.

While I agree with your points in regards to Bourque, I'm finding it hard at times to "rank" the greatest B's of all time. There are too many to simply list from 1 to whatever.

With that said, I don't dispute Bourque's greatness and importance as a Bruin. The stats and awards are impressive but I personally can't put him in my top 5. There were many great Bruins who were just as impressive and even more important to this organization.

To me, Bourque was the player that everyone took for granted. He didn't get national attention. He wasn't considered a "face" of the NHL. He didn't cause headlines. Simply put, he was a main stay. He was the quiet leader that you could always depend on but just couldn't get the recognition. He was rock solid and extremely durable. As I think of it, I'm probably taking him for granted as I type.

Probably doesn't make much sense, put that's my POV. Some may see it but I expect most won't.

Anyway, I'd rank him probably 7th/8th on my list of all time B's and 3rd for B's d-men.

Old
12-29-2008, 03:02 PM
krauts

Quote:
What makes this thread great is the perception of those voting. Some will vote for only those who they've seen. Some will vote out of respect. Some will vote by stats, etc...
It's true and it's Finchster's fault for being so vague to start with.

I mean, depending upon how you define it, you could argue that Bobby Orr isn't the "greatest" Bruin; the greatest hockey player that ever lived but not the greatest Bruin. I did vote for him in that spot but after thinking about it more, voting in subsequent polls, stating my case for other players, I would change it to Milt Schmidt and I'm not so sure that Bobby would even be #2. I tend to give weight to longevity, tenure with the team, especially in a leadership capacity but also post-playing career involvement too. The only thing I assumed is that the person had to have played for the team (thus excluding Art Ross and Harry Sinden, for example, who are in my opinion otherwise great Bruins).

Schmidt
Clapper
Bourque
Shore
Chief
Orr

Something like that even. But that probably won't go over too well.

Caveat: I am sitting in a room with this on the wall behind me:

Old
12-29-2008, 03:07 PM
bruinforstanley

Quote:

I mean, depending upon how you define it, you could argue that Bobby Orr isn't the "greatest" Bruin; the greatest hockey player that ever lived but not the greatest Bruin. I did vote for him in that spot but after thinking about it more, voting in subsequent polls, stating my case for other players, I would change it to Milt Schmidt and I'm not so sure that Bobby would even be #2. I tend to give weight to longevity, tenure with the team, especially in a leadership capacity but also post-playing career involvement too. The only thing I assumed is that the person had to have played for the team (thus excluding Art Ross and Harry Sinden, for example, who are in my opinion otherwise great Bruins).

Schmidt
Clapper
Bourque
Shore
Chief
Orr

Something like that even. But that probably won't go over too well.

Caveat: I am sitting in a room with this on the wall behind me:

For the record, I voted Schmidt as the #2 greatest B of all time. My bias for Orr will live on forever

But yeah, it's so subjective. Might be easier to just throw darts.

Old
12-29-2008, 05:43 PM
finchster

Quote:
Being vauge is the best way to spark discussion

Old
12-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Dit Clapper. Great name.

Teddy Green next.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote