HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bad (or at least big) contracts we could take on for one of our big 4.

Old
12-28-2008, 10:37 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Bad (or at least big) contracts we could take on for one of our big 4.

I firmly believe that the most important thing this team needs to do is to get rid of Tom Renney.

BUT, second behind that move on my list is to get rid of Redden (which is disappointing - I hoped that Ottawa fans were wrong about him, or at least that he simply needed a new start). And, while I don't necessarily agree, I know that many others would like to see one of Gomez, Drury and/or Gomez go as well.

However, it's pretty unlikely that any one of the four go anywhere without taking back at least a somewhat similar contract in return. That begs the question what contracts - which are percieved as at least somewhat onerous - are there around the league that you might be willing to take back as the centerpiece of a deal for one of our big contracts? Sean Avery's 4 year, $16MM with a NMC is an obvious example, but personally I think he'd do more harm than good. Can you think of any other players (and their deals) out there that you might be willing to take back to move the player you want to see gone?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Realistically, here are some guys that I wouldn't necessarily want, but would fit this bill: Milan Michalek, Martin Erat, Mike Fisher, Ed Jovanovski, Andrej Meszaros, Lubomir Visnovsky

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:41 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Cole, Afinogenov, J Blake, Handzus, Smyth, Havlat, Schneider, Salei, maybe Hortron...

Last edited by BobMarleyNYR: 12-28-2008 at 11:48 PM.
BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:55 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I dont want anymore ex Sens unless his name begins with an H and ends in a Y.

Michalek could be something to think about. Not sure why he's dropped his production. Could be San Joses Petr Prucha. Not sure we need anymore of that.

Horton could be a gem just waiting to get the hell out of Florida

Jovo is so bad its not even funny....I would be seriously in distress if I woke up to find out Slats traded for Jovo at this point.

Afinegenov I could see Renny looking at as a project. But hes pretty much exactly what this team doesnt need. A dipsy doodler whos afraid to shoot the puck

Briere? I wouldnt touch that guy with his injury issues

12-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
I dont want anymore ex Sens unless his name begins with an H and ends in a Y.

Michalek could be something to think about. Not sure why he's dropped his production. Could be San Joses Petr Prucha. Not sure we need anymore of that.

Horton could be a gem just waiting to get the hell out of Florida

Jovo is so bad its not even funny....I would be seriously in distress if I woke up to find out Slats traded for Jovo at this point.

Afinegenov I could see Renny looking at as a project. But hes pretty much exactly what this team doesnt need. A dipsy doodler whos afraid to shoot the puck

Briere? I wouldnt touch that guy with his injury issues
And this is exactly how other teams view our garbage.

Which is very, very frightening.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:09 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

If there is a GM in this league that would trade for Wade Redden and his contract, he should be fired. I think we are stuck with him. Why would ANYONE want 5 years of this guy at $6.5 million? There is no upside to him. He does nothing particularly well.

No one is going to want Drury either at his price. I could see some teams being interested in Gomez and/or Rozsival, but not even that many. Fact is, Gomez is a second line player being paid like a franchise player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Cole, Afinogenov, J Blake, Handzus, Smyth, Havlat, Schneider, Salei, maybe Hortron...
If you mean Erik Cole, he's an UFA this year.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:17 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
If you mean Erik Cole, he's an UFA this year.
So are Afinogenov and Schneider.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:38 AM
BobMarleyNYR

I know. Makes them easier to trade for... and here's how it plays out: Cole plays badly, offer him 2.5, same for Afinogenov. Regardless of how Schneider plays, he'll e retiring... but in the end, we dump salary.

And I truly believe Colorado would trade Smyth for Drury... throw in Sauer (his brother is on the Avs) and you might get Laperriere as well (also a pending UFA).

Old
12-29-2008, 12:56 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Smyth and Laperriere would be fun on the Rangers. We might actually score less goals than we do now but it would be fun

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
I know. Makes them easier to trade for... and here's how it plays out: Cole plays badly, offer him 2.5, same for Afinogenov. Regardless of how Schneider plays, he'll e retiring... but in the end, we dump salary.

And I truly believe Colorado would trade Smyth for Drury... throw in Sauer (his brother is on the Avs) and you might get Laperriere as well (also a pending UFA).
Okaaaay, but why would a team trade them for Redden? Like, just to get something for a UFA they're probably not going to re-sign? Maybe, but not if he's playing so badly that the Rangers want to get rid of him already, and with that contract? Tough sell, man.

I would trade Smyth for Drury in a heart beat, so yeah, you're probably right with that one. But, um, why?

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:26 AM
BobMarleyNYR

I never mentioned Redden.

Why? Check the title of the thread.

Old
12-29-2008, 01:30 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Smyth and Laperriere would be fun on the Rangers. We might actually score less goals than we do now but it would be fun
How do you figure? Smyth is on pace with Naslund... Laperriere brings good offense for a 3C.

Old
12-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Macke*

Smyth would be a terrible contract.....

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:00 AM
Duponttime*

To me, the only chane we would have to trade Redden would be for Avery. That's about it. As much as I think Avery is a moron, it's something that has to be considered. This team is soft.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:05 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duponttime View Post
To me, the only chane we would have to trade Redden would be for Avery. That's about it. As much as I think Avery is a moron, it's something that has to be considered. This team is soft.
i'd trade redden for avery in a heartbeat. in the worst case i'd send him down to the minors, that would still be cheaper than redden

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Ola

Quote:
Yeah, Zherdev alone is one to much.

We need more North American 7m guys like Drury and Redden who will shoot the puck.

(I can't belive I still have to make these arguments... The time when we had the 6th best PP in the league with Nylander and Jagr don't seem that awful now. A unit that always pushed back the other team for entire shifts.)

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Ola

Its exactly thoose creative ("dipssy doddly") players who are having success in this league right now. Guys who won't just throw the puck on the net, but will challenge D's and make plays with the puck.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:24 AM
eco's bones

good luck finding someone willing to trade for Redden with a contract for another 5 and a half years at 6.5 mil per--which means throw away expectations of a so-called fair value return. As well Drury is miscast and well above overpaid in the role of 1st line legit scoring threat. He's at his most effective as a support point producer on a more talented team--not as the main guy. Again forget about fair value. If this team tanks--try to dump both of them, and maybe Gomez and Roszival as well for whatever we can get. D-men are usually easier to move and very valuable at the deadline but Redden's contract is really bad and I don't see that one happening.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Kurt Sauer signed with Phoenix this summer.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Garfinkel1

If Redden is this bad now, I don't even want to imagine how bad he will be in a few years!

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Nich

trade redden for avery......

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:02 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I firmly believe that the most important thing this team needs to do is to get rid of Tom Renney.

BUT, second behind that move on my list is to get rid of Redden (which is disappointing - I hoped that Ottawa fans were wrong about him, or at least that he simply needed a new start). And, while I don't necessarily agree, I know that many others would like to see one of Gomez, Drury and/or Gomez go as well.

However, it's pretty unlikely that any one of the four go anywhere without taking back at least a somewhat similar contract in return. That begs the question what contracts - which are percieved as at least somewhat onerous - are there around the league that you might be willing to take back as the centerpiece of a deal for one of our big contracts? Sean Avery's 4 year, $16MM with a NMC is an obvious example, but personally I think he'd do more harm than good. Can you think of any other players (and their deals) out there that you might be willing to take back to move the player you want to see gone?
I really don't want them to fire Renney.

I'm not putting down your's or anyone else's feelings on that.

It would just have too much of a filtering effect on the organization as a whole.

Renney is a very smart technical coach. And he has a way of getting through to the young players.

The Rangers organization has been drafting, and building a young group of players with specific molds.

Two way play, good head on their shoulders, speed, skill.

The young guys up in the NHL respond to Renney. The Wolfpack in Hartford run the same system.

The problem in Hartford is the team lacks more talent. Due to having graduated a handful of players, and most of our top young talent not old enough to play in the AHL yet. (20 year old rule). The only one not subject to that rule is Grachev.

So Hartford is in between.

But they still run the same system, making the transition for the guys who get promoted to the NHL, more easy. It's just business for them. All they have to do is play the system.

It works for the young guys.

The veterans on the other hand, be it ego, be it what ever, they simply do not have enough self motivation. And the lack of a scoring winger and a hard hitting defenseman doesn't help either.

The veterans need to step it up.

Firing Renney will NOT solve the problems that this team has. It i s a player personnel issue. Mental, physical... it is their issue they need to work out for them selves. If they would just DO what the coaching staff tells them to do on a consistent basis, they wouldn't struggle as much.

And what Renney said the other day is true. This team can not get into a run and gun match with other teams that have more scoring depth.

Offense starts in the defensive zone. You have to play SOLID, SMART hockey in your own zone FIRST. Play simple hockey in the neutral zone, and when you pay attention to defensive detail and are playing a SMART game, THEN you can worry about scoring goals. If you can't defend your own goal, then you are just leaving yourself open for attack.

Anyway... i hope Renney gets to stick around. Pern can be fired, i would be fine with that. Get a new Special Teams coach. I happen to believe that Benoit Allaire and Mike Pelino are very good coaches and should stick around, too.

And dump off some of the heavy contracts.

Make some changes. But give the coach some guys who have guts and heart, and i think you see different results.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:15 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

I was, as some around here, ready to give time to Redden and believed in the "new start" theory. I must recognize I was wrong and this contract is one of the worst in the team's history. Despite the lack of output of Redden, his contract will be more of a problem when Sather will have to deal with guys like Zherdev and Dubinsky next summer. This is terribly awful. I totally agree, this is the first contract to get rid of asap, an by any means possible... But now, I don't think so the Stars have an inch of interest in Redden. Even to get rid of Avery. Actually they are playing pretty well without Avery, Zubov or Morrow. Since the "sloppy seconds" comment they are 7-3-1. Why would they take Redden now?

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 09:15 AM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
If there is a GM in this league that would trade for Wade Redden and his contract, he should be fired. I think we are stuck with him. Why would ANYONE want 5 years of this guy at $6.5 million? There is no upside to him. He does nothing particularly well.

No one is going to want Drury either at his price. I could see some teams being interested in Gomez and/or Rozsival, but not even that many. Fact is, Gomez is a second line player being paid like a franchise player.
Only way someone will take him, is if he comes with the Rangers' 2009 1st rounder. Just like what the Devils did to get rid of Malakhov: Him + a 1st rounder for rights to a guy who would never play in the NHL.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote