HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

How's Suter Doing?

Old
12-14-2008, 05:46 PM
SP

vCash: 500
How's Suter Doing?

I was looking at the '03 draft, and got curious about Ryan Suter. Back at the draft, I was really impressed by him, and thought he was a great pickup, but it seems like I haven't heard a word about him since then. It's like he gets overshadowed by Weber and Hamhuis.

Just by looking at his stats, he's in his 4th full year, and his production has increased every year.

How's he doing for you guys? Could you give a brief scouting report on him? And is he at all trade-able, or would we have to ship out the farm to get him?

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Oh he's been awesome, great two way d-man. I think he's gonna be better, defense wise, then weber, but he's also the kinda guy that can rack up the assists.

As for trades, it'll have to be something good, plus he's got a 4 year deal.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 06:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He's on par with Weber, and is above Hamhuis. He's a great skater, plays good position and carries the puck very well. Above average playmaker too.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 06:55 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Suter seemed to make some big strides as last season wound down, and he became a go-to guy in the playoffs. Right now, he's clear and away our #2 defenseman.

Unfortunately, because of his earlier sub-par play, some elements of the fan base will continue to hold out and still rip Suter at every opportunity...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

He looks like a legit number 1 defenseman this year. He and Weber compliment each other nicely. I would say defensively he is second only to Weber. His physical play is very strong along the boards, although he isn't an open ice hitter. Positionally, he has improved every year, and this year he has taken a giant leap in that department (See Zidlicky, Marek not holding him back). Offensively, his shot is definitely not on Weber's level, but it is above average for defenseman. He carries the puck better than probably anyone on this team (no exaggeration), and his passing is very crisp. Every team in the league would kill to have Suter on their team IMO.

12-14-2008, 09:24 PM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Every team in the league would kill to have Suter on their team IMO.
So what you're saying is, Vermette and a 2nd is enough?

It's good to hear he's doing so well. If he was Canadian, I'd probably hear more about him, but as far as the media is concerned up here, your defense consists of Shea Weber, Dan Hamhuis, and nothing else.

It's a heck of a defensive core you guys have put together.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:33 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
So what you're saying is, Vermette and a 2nd is enough?
Ahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha... no.

Suter has WAY more value to us than he would in a trade.

Old
12-20-2008, 11:18 PM
William H Bonney

It'll fun to watch Suter play for Team USA in 2010.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:29 AM
braindead

Any thoughts on how Suter would fare as a forward? I thought about it when listening to the Wild guys talking about Burns playing forward for a while during injuries.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Any thoughts on how Suter would fare as a forward? I thought about it when listening to the Wild guys talking about Burns playing forward for a while during injuries.
Definitely a setup guy. He'd do pretty good I'd bet.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:30 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
I was looking at the '03 draft, and got curious about Ryan Suter. Back at the draft, I was really impressed by him, and thought he was a great pickup, but it seems like I haven't heard a word about him since then. It's like he gets overshadowed by Weber and Hamhuis.

Just by looking at his stats, he's in his 4th full year, and his production has increased every year.

How's he doing for you guys? Could you give a brief scouting report on him? And is he at all trade-able, or would we have to ship out the farm to get him?
All I know is that last season I was all for trading him for an upgrade at the forward position but this season I see why Poile didn't make the move. He's really getting to be a really good two-way defenseman. I'm quite pleased with his play thus far this season and if he makes the same jump in improvement from last year to this season, he's really going to be every bit as good as Weber by next season IMO.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Stamvarhall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
All I know is that last season I was all for trading him for an upgrade at the forward position but this season I see why Poile didn't make the move. He's really getting to be a really good two-way defenseman. I'm quite pleased with his play thus far this season and if he makes the same jump in improvement from last year to this season, he's really going to be every bit as good as Weber by next season IMO.
So what are you trying to say? that suter wold be considered a lock to play for team canada if he were canadian? Weber is and always will be better than suter.

Stamvarhall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 12:48 AM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamvarhall* View Post
So what are you trying to say? that suter wold be considered a lock to play for team canada if he were canadian? Weber is and always will be better than suter.
Trying to figure out where/why you'd bring up "canadian" from my post, other than you're a "candian" retard. Let me sum it up for you and make it a bit more clear so that you don't draw up anymore "canadian" "S". I AM HAPPY WITH SUTERS PLAY!! There simple enough for ya? Plus learn to read the WHOLE sentence, my quote was "if he makes the same jump in improvement from last year to this season,(,= continuation)he's really going to be every bit as good as Weber by next season IMO. So take off your "canadian" glasses and quit giving the rest of Canada a bad rep.

Last edited by DManPreds11: 12-26-2008 at 01:02 AM.
DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 09:52 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The difference isn't as great as you think it is.....

Old
12-28-2008, 12:42 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
That's debatable... Suter is better in his own zone than Weber, is the better skater, and is a much better stickhandler.

Old
12-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That's debatable... Suter is better in his own zone than Weber, is the better skater, and is a much better stickhandler.
Suter is the better skater/stickhandler. I think it is tough to say which is better overall in the defensive zone, but I do think Suter arguably has the edge there as well. I would rather have Weber on the ice for his sheer tenacity, but Suter is a beast along the boards as well.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:51 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't give one a big edge over the other, both have different roles both do them well.