HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Nedved-Dvorak Connection

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 03:31 PM
MrMackey

vCash: 500
The Nedved-Dvorak Connection

Still too early to have an educated commentary about the reunited duo... but thought I'd post a couple of observations and thoughts following last night's game.

First, there was obvious chemistry between the pair. Torres is a great fit with them, but I also believe that Isbister, Smyth, York, Chimera, Hemsky or even Rita could look good with them... providing different compliments to the line.

Away from the puck I thought Nedved looked a little lazy. I particularly noticed it while he was exiting the o-zone and in the defensive end. I wasn't sure if it was because he was tired from his past couple of days travel, or if it was a byproduct of being with the Rags. After seeing him block that shot though, I've decided for now that he was tired.

Also... I just wanted to give props to Devo. He continues to be one of my favourite Oilers, and you could tell he had even more jump in his game after getting to line up with Nedved again. You can't help but love Radek. Also, while Smyth has been playing unbelievably of late, Radek has quietly put up 5 points in his last 5 games (since coming back).

Old
03-05-2004, 03:38 PM
copperandblue

I think Dvorak is a keeper as well. It was a dandy pick up by Lowe last year.

Dvorak and York as well, are effective because they tend to put up the quiet points. The kind of points a team needs but don't stand out to the opposition. In my mind that can make a player very dangerous.

My only concern with tthe Dvorak/Nedved conenction last night is that Dvorak tended to look for Nedved a little too much for my liking. Hopefully it's just a first day kinda thing and settles down but if it doesn't it will make the pair very predictable to play against.

Old
03-05-2004, 03:43 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
My only concern with tthe Dvorak/Nedved conenction last night is that Dvorak tended to look for Nedved a little too much for my liking. Hopefully it's just a first day kinda thing and settles down but if it doesn't it will make the pair very predictable to play against.
I noticed this too, and kind of wrote it off to basically trying to get Nedved his first goal as an Oiler. If he continues to pass up clear opportunities to shoot, its possible the line could fall into a bit of a funk.

Another point I forgot to make is that I thought Nedved looked great on the PP. I also thought Bergie looked better than usual on the PP, and wasn't sure if Nedved had anything to do with it.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:06 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
My only concern with tthe Dvorak/Nedved conenction last night is that Dvorak tended to look for Nedved a little too much for my liking...
Noticed that too, Raffi said he just shut his mouth and let the two wheel and deal. I think Dvorak is just happy to play with an old line mate, I think once things settle down you won't see Dvo forcing the plays to Nedved, though Nedved didn't score on any of the chances he came dagerously close. Especially during the first PP. Hopefully when York gets back they can squeeze him on the wing with Smyth and Horcoff.

GXL

Old
03-06-2004, 12:49 AM
jadeddog

i have actually been VERY impressed with MABs play of late.... i think that with him and semenov sure locks to play 30-50 games at the minimum next year, and with lynch and woywitka close to being NHL ready, that the oilers will get rid of smith (either at the deadline or at the draft).... i freaking *love* smith, but for 3+ million next year, i would rather have MAB, semenov and possibly have nedved resigned as well, or isbister for that matter

Old
03-06-2004, 03:43 AM
Dangerdanger

Speaking of bergeron, man can that guy shoot the puck. The other night against st. louis he absolutely wired a few shots on osgood, i wish he had been up here for the skills comp to see how fast it is. maybe it just looks hard because of his size though. You know, relativily and all.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:55 AM
theoil

I also love Dvorak as an Oiler. I think that Lowe has gotten unbelievable value for most of his trades as a GM where he had any flexibility. As a guy who thought that MAB was finished when they sent him back to TO I have to admit I am much more impressed this time but for me I think I see some of those defensive lapses slipping back into the game. I love the offense he provides but as he gets comfortable he seems to lose some focus and gives up chances. He has to bear down again. But it is pretty strange how we went from one of the worst d's in the league to having so much hope for the future all in a space of about 25 games with the acquisition of Ulanov and Woywitka and the emergence of Semenov, Bergeron and then Lynch in TO.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Matts

MAB will be fine

as long as the Oilers put a very steady dman with him for his ES play and then they put him and a forward on the PP. Bergy is great at moving the puck around on the PP and he can get his shot on.

At ES he can sometimes get panicked with faced with a strong forecheck but he's surprisingly good one on one.

The Oilers just have to roll with his mistakes. They have been with Brew, not saying Bergy will be that good because they are totally different dmen, but I'm just saying let the kid learn.

Closed Thread