HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Mock GM Game #2

Old
12-29-2008, 04:48 PM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

vCash: 500
Mock GM Game #2

How'd I do?
: Buffalo Sabres :
BEFORE
Thomas Vanek-Jochen Hecht-Jason Pomminville
Clarke MacArthur-Derek Roy-Drew Stafford
Daniel Paille-Paul Gaustad-Ales Kotalik
Andrew Peters-Adam Mair-Patrick Kaleta
xtra:Matt Ellis, Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly(IR)

Toni Lydman-Andrej Sekera
Jaroslav Spacek-Craig Rivet(C)
Henrik Tallinder-Teppo Numminen
Nathan Paestch

Ryan Miller
Patrick Lalime

AFTER
Thomas Vanek-Jeff Carter-Jason Pomminville
Clarke MacArthur-Derek Roy-Drew Stafford
Jochen Hecht-Samuel Pahlsson-Rob Niedermeyer
Shawn Thornton-Adam Mair-Patrick Kaleta
xtra:Matt Ellis, Andrew Peters

Toni Lydman-Andrej Sekera
Jaroslav Spacek-Craig Rivet(C)
Henrik Tallinder-Chris Butler
Teppo Numminen

Martin Biron
Patrick Lalime
Trades:
To ATL: Max Afinogenov
To BUF: 4th round pick
Maximum dumpage. Got what I could for Afino, which wasn't much.

To BUF:Carter+Biron+Nodl+2010 4th
To PHI:Miller+Gaustad+Paille+Brennan+2010 2nd
Robery. Possibly the best player in the league in Carter for the future to center Vanek. Not realistic but I couldn't help myself. Also adding Biron and moving miller clears a path for Enroth in 2-3 years. Let Biron and Lalime battle the rest of the year. The winner gets a 2-3 year contract @ 4mil per. Nodl is another Austrian, offensive RW prospect, could eventually pair with Vanek. It's tough to let loose the Goose but his salary is too much for a borderline 3rd liner and Paille hasn't lived up to his contract either and is approaching bust status. We have enough D in the pipeline to afford losing Brennan.

To Bos: Tim Connolly
To Buf: Shawn Thornton
Salary Dump. Also acquired a replacement for Peters who should be more defensively competent. Maybe even play more than 5 mins a game.

To ANA:Ales Kotalik and ATL 4th
To BUF: Samuel Pahlsson and Rob Niedermeyer
Provides grit and forechecking sorely needed. Hopefully Pahlsson and Nieds can create chemistry with Hect and become a solid grind line.

Thoughts?

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 04:57 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
These trades are not even at all.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:25 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
These trades are not even at all.
I would definitely do the first and last. The others I'm not sure. Shawn Thornton is 37, isn't he? The other trade is just too much.

Besides, there is no improvement to the defense at all, and that seriously needs to be addressed. Adding Pahlsson up front helps, but the d-corps needs a makeover more than anything.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:36 PM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

I dont think the D needs a complete overhall. Talinder has been significantly better of late. Butler has been solid, should his play keep up I think hes a lock to be here fulltime next season. Lydman has been solid in all facets. Sekera has had his gaffes but thats to be expected of a rookie playing 20+ mins a game. Sekera has been very solid for the most part IMO. Rivet and Spacek have been disapointing after Rivet's surgery. I think once Rivet gets healthy he should be a stedying hand throughout the D and especially for Spacek. Spacek can't be the physical element of his pairing.
Furthermore, this build is for two or three years down the road. If 2 of Butler, Weber, Myers develop to where we'd like them the D should be acceptable. Plus if Enroth develops to the point some think he could he has the potential to make them look better.

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 05:39 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupWanted View Post
I dont think the D needs a complete overhall. Talinder has been significantly better of late. Butler has been solid, should his play keep up I think hes a lock to be here fulltime next season. Lydman has been solid in all facets. Sekera has had his gaffes but thats to be expected of a rookie playing 20+ mins a game. Sekera has been very solid for the most part IMO. Rivet and Spacek have been disapointing after Rivet's surgery. I think once Rivet gets healthy he should be a stedying hand throughout the D and especially for Spacek. Spacek can't be the physical element of his pairing.
Furthermore, this build is for two or three years down the road. If 2 of Butler, Weber, Myers develop to where we'd like them the D should be acceptable. Plus if Enroth develops to the point some think he could he has the potential to make them look better.
That's fine -- and understandable -- if you want to pseudo-tank and rebuild, but then why keep around Spacek? You probably could've swung a Spacek for a 2nd + middling forward prospect and then moved a pick or something for a physical bottom pairing type. If you're going to tank, you might as well make it look like you're not tanking by having some guys who play hard even if they're not as skilled.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Jame
Dream '16

i like most of it. the Thornton trade is useless though. and i would've liked a trade of Tallinder for a cheaper 3rd pairing defensemen.

but getting Carter is highway robbery.... awesome.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote