HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Check this video...

Old
12-29-2008, 06:00 PM
MikeD

vCash: 500
Check this video...

http://my.rinktime.com/video/video/&v=119742394080

check the stick work from a 9 year old....

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
http://my.rinktime.com/video/video/&v=119742394080

check the stick work from a 9 year old....
Well, if I am not mistaken and I could very well be. If this hot dog was doing this in a game, (yes it was during intermission) chances are really good that a defensemen would be on him like white on rice.

If he was doing this in a penalty shot, the minute he turns that puck backwards, the whislte would be blown and the shot not allowed. According to the rules, the puck must be advancing forward. And the minute he turns, it goes backwards.

Oh, and why don't the NHL players do this kind of stuff like the announcer said? Because the player would probably get his *** kicked by his coach.

I must admit, I did see Pavel Bure (the Russian Rocket) score a goal from behind the net by picking the puck up and bouncing it on the goalies back.

Plus, I did see a Mexico Player that played on the Mexican National team score a goal like this from behind the net.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/180131...ockey_players/

Yes, I did chew him for this hot dog move!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 04:46 PM
the_speedster

Kid is hella famous now, here in texas. Every kid I coached last year knew his name. The part that brings a smile to my face is that at least once a month I'll hear some kid yell out the name "max gerlacher" as they attempt the move at a stick and puck

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
Kid is hella famous now, here in texas. Every kid I coached last year knew his name. The part that brings a smile to my face is that at least once a month I'll hear some kid yell out the name "max gerlacher" as they attempt the move at a stick and puck
Well he better enjoy while he can. The minute he gets into a checking league, it not going to be so easy to showboat!
As a coach, I hope that you are teach your kids that this type of play is not acceptable.

Yes it cute, and yes it nice, and boy doesn't he look good doing it. But just think about it. If you were coaching a team and you were playing a game against a player that goes down the ice and does that type of stuff to your team, how would you feel and what would your team feel?

Now before you answer that, let look at the level of play. By looking at the way he skates, it safe to say he's not in the house league. Which means that he probably travels. This is a move that he didn't just pick up over night. This is a move that he practice over and over again. Oh, trust me, he's not the only one I have seen do this.

It's just for me, as a coach, I don't condone this type of play. Why? Story time!

Back in 1991, we were get spanked by another team 7 to 2, or something like that. I just know it wasn't pretty. When the other team scored the 8th goal, the hot dog who scored the goal, rode his stick down the length of my bench. When he did that, I looked at the clock and we had 8 minutes left in the game. Then I looked at the guys on the bench and I didn't have to say a word. We ended up winning that game 9 to 8.

But the reason why I tell this story is not to say anything, but to bring to light how player treat players on the other team. Remember, the game (at that level) there should be some respect for the game and for the team that you play against....period!

When coaches condone this type of play, they give the green light to throw mud in the face of their opponent. 9 times out of 10, it will not be a favorable out come.

When I coach kids, they are not allowed to..."Shot the Duck", or ride their stick. It show poor sportsmenship.

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 12-30-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Still pretty cool seeing a 9 year old do that. I wish I could do that and show off to everyone.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 10:45 PM
qwertysac

i agree 100% with everything headcoach has said.

Already it's annoying that everybody and their mother either practices doing that move or knows how to do it. The most annoying part about it though, is that ITS USELESS. They waste their time practicing that garbage showboat junk instead of actually improving their game.

I see players all the time who can't even skate properly doing that crap.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 10:59 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Does not impress me at all really. Spending hours practicing that move does not make you a good player. I've seen videos of 5 and six year old kids doing it- so what? It's never going to be useful.

I can't do that move, but I can outskate and outshoot a lot of the guys like that. My favorite form of practice is pickup games, so I'm better in a game setting.

It's really a matter of training for a shootout or training for a game. And one of those matters more then the other.

BTW headcoach, they've tweaked the enforcement of that rule to allow that kind of thing and spinaramas and such to make it clear that what they're looking for is motion in a general forward direction so that if the skater isn't stopping to do something like this and is still moving forward it's still fine. But still not a good idea to try in a game.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:47 PM
IniNew

Come on guys, its fun to watch. Who's to say he tries things like that in a game situation? Just for fun.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:33 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Sure it's fun, but particularly impressive? Not really.

Fun and impressive?

Old
12-31-2008, 04:58 AM
Green13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, if I am not mistaken and I could very well be. If this hot dog was doing this in a game, (yes it was during intermission) chances are really good that a defensemen would be on him like white on rice.

If he was doing this in a penalty shot, the minute he turns that puck backwards, the whislte would be blown and the shot not allowed. According to the rules, the puck must be advancing forward. And the minute he turns, it goes backwards.

Oh, and why don't the NHL players do this kind of stuff like the announcer said? Because the player would probably get his *** kicked by his coach.

I must admit, I did see Pavel Bure (the Russian Rocket) score a goal from behind the net by picking the puck up and bouncing it on the goalies back.

Plus, I did see a Mexico Player that played on the Mexican National team score a goal like this from behind the net.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/180131...ockey_players/

Yes, I did chew him for this hot dog move!

Head coach

Wouldn't that move be legal in a NHL penalty shot? I don't see how it's any different from a spinnorama or the move where people pull the puck backwards with their stick. I don't get it..

Green13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:01 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Well he better enjoy while he can. The minute he gets into a checking league, it not going to be so easy to showboat!
As a coach, I hope that you are teach your kids that this type of play is not acceptable.

Yes it cute, and yes it nice, and boy doesn't he look good doing it. But just think about it. If you were coaching a team and you were playing a game against a player that goes down the ice and does that type of stuff to your team, how would you feel and what would your team feel?

Now before you answer that, let look at the level of play. By looking at the way he skates, it safe to say he's not in the house league. Which means that he probably travels. This is a move that he didn't just pick up over night. This is a move that he practice over and over again. Oh, trust me, he's not the only one I have seen do this.

It's just for me, as a coach, I don't condone this type of play. Why? Story time!

Back in 1991, we were get spanked by another team 7 to 2, or something like that. I just know it wasn't pretty. When the other team scored the 8th goal, the hot dog who scored the goal, rode his stick down the length of my bench. When he did that, I looked at the clock and we had 8 minutes left in the game. Then I looked at the guys on the bench and I didn't have to say a word. We ended up winning that game 9 to 8.

But the reason why I tell this story is not to say anything, but to bring to light how player treat players on the other team. Remember, the game (at that level) there should be some respect for the game and for the team that you play against....period!

When coaches condone this type of play, they give the green light to throw mud in the face of their opponent. 9 times out of 10, it will not be a favorable out come.

When I coach kids, they are not allowed to..."Shot the Duck", or ride their stick. It show poor sportsmenship.

Head coach

EXCELLENT POST

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:26 PM
MikeD

Taken in context, the youngster performed very well. This is a far cry from unsportsmanlike or disrespecting behavior. His goal celebration after was also very subdued. I would have to see much more of the youngsters play and how he carried himself to believe that there was any intent to disrespect.

I would not assume that the boy put all his efforts into learning this move, neglecting his other skills. To me it indicates that the youngster is more likely to have spent a large amount of time developing his skills INCLUDING his stick work. Impressive? HELL, YEAH! Come on, Folks! The closest any can come up with in comparison are twice the kids age at the very least. As for picking the puck up from behind the net for a stuff, there is a significantly lower level of skill required than in the move by the 9 year old. Lets see anyone link a comparison video whos subject is near the same age. At age 9, most youngsters just dont have the fine motor skills refined to this level. Had this been a 13, 14 or older player I wouldnt be very impressed myself. 9 YEARS OLD.....damn impressive and would HAVE to be respected. As another poster mentioned, other players reference the players name....that is a sure sign of respect by his peers and that he has excelled at something we look for when naming a Captain...the abilty to inspire.

Using this move in a game...why not? IF I had a player on my team who could perform this move with success at a high percentage, facing a staunch goal and on a break away...USE IT. "THIS AIN'T HOUSE LEAGUE" We ask our kids to play fair, within the rules and to the best of thier ability. Under what circumstances do we back track on this? Up 10-1 do you hold the team back? If you have the best player in the league to you ask him/her to play below their skill level? If he/she has 8 points in a game do you bench? IF you notice that you happen to have your top scoring line on and the opponent hs his weakest, do you call a change? The answer from any travel coach should be an emphatic NO! To do so is IMHO a disrespect of the game AND the team you are facing. It is contrary to the principles we try to establish in our young players. Do you instruct them to NOT celebrate goals, to show class and be respectful...yeah. It is these top players who inspire their team mates to play better, practice harder....etc etc. Its these same players who can wake up an opposing player to also practice harder and try to bring their own skill levels up.

I can understand not wanting to see hot dog moves from a hot dog player. The root problem is the attitude and intent that the player shows more than the actual move used. Its about the state of mind of the player.

Is this move illegal is a PS or in a SO? I would say it would have been called a goal. Just because the player turned does not mean the direction of travel of him or the puck was not moving in a continious direction toward the goal line. Looking at when the player makes the turn, the puck is about even with center of the circle. Frame by frame the puck appears to never stop moving toward the goal line. There is a moment priot to it when he is stick handling the puck that it looks like he did draw the puck back toward himself away from the goal line well prior to the shot. A good ref might have caught that and blew it dead.

Story time:

I had qualified for the Texas State Invitational Championships in 3 individual events as well as 2 relays. I had gold, swimming the butterfly leg in the 400m medley relay, had gold in both 100m breast and 200m butterfly. The next event was the 200m IM. The event calls for 50m of each stroke BUT in the freestyle leg a swimmer may choose any stroke. I swam this stroke BUTTERFLY, making my last 4 laps all butterfly. Many thought this was showboating....a hotdog move. It wasnt and my coach knew very well why. My 50 meter american crawl was SLOWER than my 50 fly by at least 2-3 tenths. Should I have still swam american crawl so as to NOT be labeled a "hotdog"? I only won that event by 13/100th of a second. I probably would have lost! As a team, we won the title by a slim 2 point margin. The difference between a second place finish and a first in my IM was 2 points. The team would have lost the gold, also. Nope, the Coach didnt instruct me to do it and nope he didnt chew me out. He threw me into the pool...lol

Here is a picture that one of the photogs from the Houston Chronicle captured as I came to the wall to take the goald in the 200IM. The caption above it on the cover of the sports section that day was "FINISHING WITH POWER". Those who knew me understand there was no showboat. It was about giving myself and the team our best chance to win. 13 yrs old at the time of the photo

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:03 AM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
As a defenseman, I would have to say that move wouldn't have the proverbial snowball's chance coming up my slot.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:49 PM
qwertysac

Quote:
Lets see anyone link a comparison video whos subject is near the same age.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS7H9WrKv6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxxyK3N2PMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNpVUoHGXPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nikComvAA88

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
noobman

The lacrosee move is gaining popularity... I see more and more people practicing the move. I have a feeling that it will eventually become a legitimate shootout move in the NHL, as creative young kids like those in the OP's video start practicing this stuff at a younger age and become more comfortable using it.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 05:18 PM
sharkticon

Quote:
As for picking the puck up from behind the net for a stuff, there is a significantly lower level of skill required than in the move by the 9 year old.
HUGE difference. The "Michigan" was performed in a college hockey game while this lacrosse move was turning an exhibition shootout.

Michigan > lacrosse move.

There is stuff i can do during practice that i dare not try in a game. Why? Because in an actual game, there are other people trying to take the puck away from me.

I could see this being attempted in a shootout contest, but with a game on the line, one better be able to do this EVERY time without chance of screwing it up.

And also for mention is the skill of the defending goaltender... i think that would come into play.

By the way, in no way am i skilled enough to perform either move. I play in a non checking adult league (but contact happens) and we have some "hot dog" guys who play in division far below their skill level (ringers). In fact, one of the top teams in my division has two ringers who score almost every goal. These guys try show off moves from time to time and they pay for it later. I make up lack of skill with excessive use of my elbows.

Last edited by sharkticon: 01-01-2009 at 05:25 PM.
sharkticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 09:14 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Watched every video on here and seen all those were done just messing around if one of them can do it in a real game with defenders on the ice and in front of them ill give them some credit but anyone who plays hockey can learn how to do that and do it when they have no in there face.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 01:13 PM
frito

Ah, let 'em have fun, that's what it's all about isn't it? As long as they aren't demonstratng poor sportsmanship with goofy goal celebrations, especially in a lopsided game, let them enjoy themselves. Every once in a while, though not very often, one of these strange moves actually result in a goal. case in point, Rick Nash's between the legs goal last season He never thought it would be anything he would actually use in a game but guess what, he did and it resulted in a goal. There are too many people trying to lay out too much sctructure and creativity from the game. Just let the kids be kids bring fun back to the game.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:

Head coach
Wow! Don't you have a parade to rain on, or a stick to place in some mud?

Take it easy. It's a nine-year old. When did we get so serious with sports that we can't allow children to 'hot dog' or have some fun? I thought that was the point of sports?

I would have applauded this kids move. Leave it to adults to be overly technical about everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Sure it's fun, but particularly impressive? Not really.

Fun and impressive?

And yet THIS video is of a 20-something while the original is from a freakin' nine-year-old!.

Wow! I can't believe some of the ignorance on this board.

So everyone here can't tell me that when they were a kid, they didn't try to do special, super-dekes in their driveway or on the pond? Get a life and stop taking hockey so seriously. This wasn't Daniel Briere trying this. It was a FREAKIN KID doing it during an intermission to entertain the crowd.
Take a Mitol already!

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:22 PM
sharkticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
And yet THIS video is of a 20-something while the original is from a freakin' nine-year-old!.

Wow! I can't believe some of the ignorance on this board.
The 20 year old did it in an actual game, where as the kid did it to entertain the crowd. The argument was can it be done when it counts.

I don't think anybody here wants to suck the fun out of it.

sharkticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Wow. A little kid works on his stickhandling for hours on end and comes up with a cool move and one coach spends his time ripping on him and a bunch of others can't wait to put the kid down.

Get a life people, he's nine and it was pretty sweet.

SyracuseBulldogs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:59 PM
RobertKron

How about we leave the arguments about showboating and whatnot for when the kids at least start hitting puberty? It was a kid playing in the intermission of an NHL game having fun.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Honestly my 13 year old house league brother has been able to pull the lacrosse move for at least a year..

It's not as impressive as it once was..

That said, pulling it at an intermission is incredible and worthy of all the praise in the world..

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:23 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Here's a 10 year old doing the same thing...

Youtube is littered with young kids doing this. A lot more kids are practicing it these days, you see it a lot more. It's really not that hard to do is part of it- virtually every decent player can pick up the puck, and once you lift it doing those moves isn't that hard. Just takes a little practice.

Doing something like that in a game takes a whole lot more effort and skill. If you do it in a game, I'll be impressed. But for kids like that, I'm more impressed by things like this:

By the way, the kid in the second video is 8.