HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers and Senators...now with no Spezza!

Old
12-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Kamina
Amok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
To OTT: Gilbert, Nilsson
To EDM: Volchenkov, Kelly
No, again.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:06 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
No, again.
To OTT: Gilbert-Nilsson
To EDM: Phillips-Kelly

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:12 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
If he waived his NTC, I would be shocked, even if it was to a team in Alberta.
Thats fine but to state as fact like the other Sens fan is just crazy.

He is what we need but i think we can find one younger and cheaper and it might be right under are nose with how Smid is playing lately, and Peckham waiting for his shot but he might be a year or two away.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:31 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
To state that he would be "happy" to waive it is equally crazy, especially when you have no idea what his attachment to the city is.

Of course nothing is impossible, but to read Oilers fans claiming that he'd happily waive it just because he was born in the same province is ignorant at best. He's lived pretty much his entire adult life in Ottawa, he asked for the NTC and took the discounted salary for a reason. Don't go throwing out the NTC as if it weren't meaningful. Toronto learned that the hard way last year.

In recent memory, the following players have refused to waive their NTCs: Redden, Sundin, McCabe, Kaberle, Kubina, Weight, Boyle. Those are only the ones that were made public (and that I happen to remember at the moment), there were probably others. McCabe, Boyle and Weight were eventually forced to waive theirs by being told by their respective managements that they were no longer wanted and would be sent home or put on waivers if they didn't. Those moves were universally panned by the entire hockey world, and this is not something that Ottawa would or should even contemplate doing with Phillips.

Last edited by The King of Town: 12-30-2008 at 12:00 AM.
The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Arguably worse.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:54 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Arguably worse.
I'd say Volch is better, but both proposals are worse than the first one in this thread.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:07 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Clancy View Post
To state that he would be "happy" to waive it is equally crazy, especially when you have no idea what his attachment to the city is.

Of course nothing is impossible, but to read Oilers fans claiming that he'd happily waive it because he was born in the same province is ignorant at best. He's lived pretty much his entire adult life in Ottawa, he asked for the NTC and took the discounted salary for a reason. Don't go throwing out the NTC as if it weren't meaningful. Toronto learned that the hard way last year.
Yeah they learned that the players can control there own destiny. Asking for a no trade is exactly that. I am 100% sure he loves Ottawa and his wife but i don't think he is digging the mounting losses, you dig.

Hey i love the Sens too and its killing me watching whats happening to them. And the Oilers really could find someone more suitable at a better price and a little bit younger then phillips.

And just because i am a Oiler nut does not mean i do not know anything about the Sens since i have been a fan since the expansion. And i got 1500$ in jerseys and hats to prove it.

I would like to see an Oiler/Sens trade cause i think the two teams could use what the other team has. You need puckmovers just ask Heatley and Alfredson and you need some secondary scoring just ask your D thats been busting there balls all season but lacks the puck movement a team needs to get out of your own zone.

The Oilers need someone to play with Hemsky plain and simple and a shutdown D but that could be gotten elsewear if you guys are only willing to trade Smith.

Spezza and Vermette for Horcoff, Grebeshkov, Nilsson A 1st rounder and a third rounder. Now remember this is coming a Oiler/Sens fan. This is a fair deal. If you want Gilbert instead of Grebeshkov you would need to trade one of your many Defensive Dmen not named Smith. Just being realistic.

Old
12-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Yeah they learned that the players can control there own destiny. Asking for a no trade is exactly that. I am 100% sure he loves Ottawa and his wife but i don't think he is digging the mounting losses, you dig.
We're talking about two halves of two seasons.

He has said he loves Ottawa, he's a GREAT community guy and has a wife and kids.

Obviously if he was pressured and pressured he'd probably come up with a list of where he wanted to go and it would probably have Edmonton at the top or very near it.

I just don't think short term (1 or 2 seasons) is enough for him to be upset with management and cause him to waive his NTC.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:11 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Gilbert is on pace for 5G 40P. 20 dmen had that last year. He is still a top 40 offensive dman playing 2nd pair PP minutes. Give him first PP minutes he is a top 20 Offensive dmean. Plus he is top 60 in block shots. For only 4M/yr.

If I am giving up a top offensive dman I want a first pairing Defensive Dman. Who is good on PK and hits and block shots . Must be in the 26-30 Yr range. Only one guy fits that mold on Ottawa's team. Volchenkov. You have to give to get.

Watching your dmen cycle the puck around the boards reminds me of edmontons D the last 20 games of the 06-07 season. You do not run a transition game picking the puck up off the boards. Still do not understand moving Corvo and Mezaros.

Ah but it is a painful eduction.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 12:14 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsenssive View Post
I'd say Volch is better, but both proposals are worse than the first one in this thread.
Yeah for the Sens maybe not for the Oilers. Gilbert is exactly the type of player the Sens need.

Watch him tomorrow how he moves the puck and transports it to the other end with ease. Just watch. I would not trade him for Phillips at all nevermind with a another player.

Old
12-30-2008, 12:21 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
We're talking about two halves of two seasons.

He has said he loves Ottawa, he's a GREAT community guy and has a wife and kids.

Obviously if he was pressured and pressured he'd probably come up with a list of where he wanted to go and it would probably have Edmonton at the top or very near it.

I just don't think short term (1 or 2 seasons) is enough for him to be upset with management and cause him to waive his NTC.
Thats fine he can stay he is what we need but you can find those type of players younger and cheaper. IMHO.

Old
12-30-2008, 12:23 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Gilbert is on pace for 5G 40P. 20 dmen had that last year. He is still a top 40 offensive dman playing 2nd pair PP minutes. Give him first PP minutes he is a top 20 Offensive dmean. Plus he is top 60 in block shots. For only 4M/yr.

If I am giving up a top offensive dman I want a first pairing Defensive Dman. Who is good on PK and hits and block shots . Must be in the 26-30 Yr range. Only one guy fits that mold on Ottawa's team. Volchenkov. You have to give to get.

Watching your dmen cycle the puck around the boards reminds me of edmontons D the last 20 games of the 06-07 season. You do not run a transition game picking the puck up off the boards. Still do not understand moving Corvo and Mezaros.

Ah but it is a painful eduction.
I think it was losing Redden thats really hurting the Sens. I wonder how many Third assists he got over the years? hundreds i bet.

Old
12-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
You do know Phillips is from Alberta and has family here? He might want to come home and be close to his family something like Souray did. If he was to waive his NTC I would bet that he'd be willing to waive it for Edmonton unless he's bent on staying on the east coast like Redden.
You do know Phillips is from Calgary right?

Thats like asking someone from Tel Aviv if he wants to move to Gaza City

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:07 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post

Only in your little world. He has family in Edmonton and Fort Mcmurrey(sp) and his uncle is the voice of the Oilers. Go figure.

Old
12-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

He is what we need but i think we can find one younger and cheaper and it might be right under are nose with how Smid is playing lately, and Peckham waiting for his shot but he might be a year or two away.
I don't think Smid, or Peckham will even come close to Phillips....not nearly...seriously.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:59 AM
voxel

Quote:

Haha... as you know Iginla and Celine are from Edmonton.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:03 AM
40oz

Quote:

But those Gaza kids like Iggy, Langkow and Dion have no problem going to Tel Aviv. Whatta world .

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:06 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:

Hey i love the Sens too and its killing me watching whats happening to them. And the Oilers really could find someone more suitable at a better price and a little bit younger then phillips.

And just because i am a Oiler nut does not mean i do not know anything about the Sens since i have been a fan since the expansion. And i got 1500$ in jerseys and hats to prove it.

I would like to see an Oiler/Sens trade cause i think the two teams could use what the other team has. You need puckmovers just ask Heatley and Alfredson and you need some secondary scoring just ask your D thats been busting there balls all season but lacks the puck movement a team needs to get out of your own zone.

The Oilers need someone to play with Hemsky plain and simple and a shutdown D but that could be gotten elsewear if you guys are only willing to trade Smith.

Spezza and Vermette for Horcoff, Grebeshkov, Nilsson A 1st rounder and a third rounder. Now remember this is coming a Oiler/Sens fan. This is a fair deal. If you want Gilbert instead of Grebeshkov you would need to trade one of your many Defensive Dmen not named Smith. Just being realistic.
He asked for the NTC. Kovy wouldn't be in Atlanta right now if he just asked for a trade. but he was mature enough to wait out his contract and stick to his end of the deal. + its only been half a season. it's not even as bad as him being stuck in ATL.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:10 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagorical View Post
Ottawa takes that in a heartbeat. That is, if Tambellini and Lowe are stupid enough to offer that.
Are you kidding, as a fan of both teams I take that deal. It adresses needs on both teams. With Phillips Edmonton stabalizes their defense and it instantly becomes top ten in the league with a nice combination of grit mobility and puck movement. The fact of the matter is that Edmonton can trade Gilbert because they have Grebs, Vish and to a lesser extent Smid to move the puck. Nilsson is expendable due to the play of Brule and Schremp in the minors imo either one of them can effectively take his spot.

Ottawa gets the mobile puck mover that they need. Gilbert is big, has excellent speed and mobility and can really pass and shoot the puck. Ottawa also adds a cheap contract in Nilsson. Nilsson really brings speed and skill to Ottawa's top 6. He is a pure playmaker and imo would look good with Fisher.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 03:23 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I don't think Smid, or Peckham will even come close to Phillips....not nearly...seriously.
says the guy that offers Gilbert + for Phillips.

Never said they would be better just said they could turn into the Dmen we need. Even though both are developing very nicely if you have not noticed. And just for argument sake go compare Smid and Phillips as 20 and 21 year olds and Smid may surprise you as he is really close if you compare the two at the same age. So do not rule out Smid he could be better or just as good by the time he plays 10 years in the NHL. Remember he is only 22 years old. He is bigger and might have more grit too. This year he might be having a better year statiscally with less minutes and games. Go look thanks for coming out though.

Old
12-30-2008, 03:30 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Are you kidding, as a fan of both teams I take that deal. It adresses needs on both teams. With Phillips Edmonton stabalizes their defense and it instantly becomes top ten in the league with a nice combination of grit mobility and puck movement. The fact of the matter is that Edmonton can trade Gilbert because they have Grebs, Vish and to a lesser extent Smid to move the puck. Nilsson is expendable due to the play of Brule and Schremp in the minors imo either one of them can effectively take his spot.

Ottawa gets the mobile puck mover that they need. Gilbert is big, has excellent speed and mobility and can really pass and shoot the puck. Ottawa also adds a cheap contract in Nilsson. Nilsson really brings speed and skill to Ottawa's top 6. He is a pure playmaker and imo would look good with Fisher.
I am a fan of both teams and the Oilers do not give Gilbert and Nilsson for just Phillips. Sorry men. Phillips is a fan favorite and a good player but he is not as good as some think he is.

Old
12-30-2008, 06:50 AM
alphahelix

Phillips grew up in Fort McMurray and played Junior here.. he may have been born in Calgary but I'm pretty sure he was (at one point) an Oilers fan, and has most of his roots in the north... If he were going to waive his NTC I think this would be the best bet.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 07:36 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I think that for the deal to work Ottawa has to offer up one of their 1st round picks next year or a top prospect.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 10:21 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

First of all: the ink is still drying on Gilberts long-term contract (and Nilssons 3 year deal FWIW).

There is no way we trade Gilbert and Nilsson for Phillips, as much as he is what we need.

Nilsson + Grebeshkov, yes. That is something we can talk about. Give Ottawa a Top-4 PMD and a 2nd line winger.

Lowe had his eye on Gilbert ever since Colorado drafted him, we traded Salo + 6th and took our time (3 years) developing him. Just to sign him to a long-term contract and then trade him? It isn't going to happen. This guy is a player, locking 35 points a year while playing behind the rest of our offensive D-core. He would put up 45-55 points a year if given top minutes.

Grebeshkov is also valuable, for he has a higher potential, more physicality, its just that he is not locked up in a contract.

Last edited by oilsands: 12-30-2008 at 10:28 AM.
oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 10:48 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Grebeshkov is also valuable, for he has a higher potential, more physicality, its just that he is not locked up in a contract.
I think Grebs and Gilbert both have great potential and will put up similar point totals when both are at the peak of their career(Gilbert will score more, Grebs with more assists). My only reason for wanting to move Grebs over Gilbert is that Gilbert is a top 4 offensive D with a right hand shot, and they are really hard to find. If we move Gilbert and if Petry doesn't turn into a replacement top 4 guy, we'd just be searching for an offensive RHS D ourselves in a couple of years

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote