HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Dormant/New/Lurking hawk fan thread (Say Hello to everyone)

Old
06-16-2011, 05:03 AM
Blucher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckTruckGoose View Post
Hey Hey! I've been a follower of this board on & off for some time, this is my first post. I'm an active duty United States Marine with 11+ years (I'm a Gunny), and tours to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm an Arabic linguist by trade, as well as a water survival instructor and small boat coxswain. I love the water, I love to brew beer, I'm a huge metal-head, I love hot chicks that can skate and I love HOCKEY. My fanaticism in hockey and for the Blackhawks has a bit of a history, so bear with me...

I moved around a lot as a kid because of my old man's job, to include stints in southeast asia, west coast and east coast. My first introduction to a live hockey game was when I was a kid living in NJ in the mid '80s. My dad worked in NYC, but refused to go into the city on his off time due to the traffic. Thus, the Meadowlands was the logical choice (in his opinion) for a place to watch sporting events, and I went to many a Devils game with him. I was a little too young to really grasp/appreciate the sport at that time, and was honestly more excited to watch my childhood buddy get to play pee-wee hockey during intermission rather than the pros.

I really started to get into hockey when NHLPA '93 came out for Sega Genesis. I know, I know, it's a dang video game. Regardless, I lived in Reno, NV at the time, and hockey wasn't exactly a staple of sporting entertainment there. That video game literally taught me about the game, and about the players. It was at this point I started to get to know the Blackhawks, and due to my patriotism, became a big fan of all of the US born players; Roenick is still my all time favorite Blackhawk. As a matter of fact, I met JR at the celebrity golf tourney at Lake Tahoe one year, he actually came up to my buddy and I (we were fresh out of high school) and chatted us up. Our jaws dropped and I don't really remember being able to say much at all because I was in awe. It was pretty awesome.

When I started college (University of Nevada) I still really didn't identify with a team; I'd root for the Sharks back then because they were 'local' and were always such a HUGE underdog. I had two fraternity brothers that were hockey fans. One was a casual Blackhawks fan because of family heritage (he's been my best friend for 18 years), and one was a fanatical Rangers fan. I took up watching games with the Rangers fan because he was always watching the games, and I took them on as my team in the mid '90s. I was a huge fan (and still am) of guys like Richter and Leetch, and I guess you could say that I 'accepted' Gretzky and Messier as well.

I joined the Marine Corps after college at the beginning of 2000, and really didn't have the time or resources to watch games as a young jarhead. I married the coolest chick on the planet in 2001, and my love for the midwest started to grow as she's from Indiana. She and my mom in law took me to Chicago for my first time in 2002 for a Cubs game on a friday in July. I hadn't followed baseball since the strike in '95, and all my favorite players (I was a Twins fan as a kid) were gone. But all it took was to walk into Wrigley Field and I was sold. On that day I fell in love with the Cubs, and with the city of Chicago as a whole. Yet, because I really wasn't able to watch hockey all that much, combined with the debacle that was the '04-'05 'season', my gusto for the game was next to nil. I would say that it was when the 'Hawks drafted a certain Sioux player in '06 that I started following hockey again, albeit a bit slowly, as my side of the family is from North Dakota, and Sioux Hockey is all they know. It didn't hurt my interest either when a certain US born player was taken #1 overall in 2007.

Fast forward to spring of 2010--I had been on a 3 week field exercise in April, sleeping with the rats and snakes and eating MREs for 24 days straight, and had missed not only opening day but the beginning of the NHL Playoffs. My first saturday out of the field was April 24th, and my only goal that day was to watch hockey and drink beer. Fittingly enough, it was game 5 of the Predators/Blackhawks series, and this will forever be known to me as the day that the Blackhawks won my undying love. Kaner's SH goal with :14 seconds left had my heart racing, and Hossa's game winner in OT literally sent me flying, and screaming, off of my couch (much to the terror of my sleeping wife who works nights). My better half and I took a small vacation to Chicago several days later, sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley on Friday afternoon, and ponying up the cash to see our first ever game at the UC (game 1 vs. vancouver...ouch). The National Anthem alone at the UC would probably have been enough to say that the $400+ we dished out was worth it, but we had a great time meeting a lot of really nice 'Hawks fans and watching the game despite the final score. The only part of the Finals I couldn't stand was that I had mandatory pre-deployment training before leaving for Afghanistan, and I had to pull a 'Tommy Boy' during Game 6, running around a mountain on the backside of Camp Pendleton trying to get reception on my cellphone to watch the game. I nearly fell off a cliff when Kane slipped the puck underneath Leighton and made history, and had to hide in my sleeping bag so my Marines couldn't see me getting choked up (...understatement...) while watching Roenick's post-game commentary.

So there you have it, and I'm glad to officially be on these boards. I'm pumped about the Entry Draft, and I can't wait for October. I hope I can make a trip back soon, toss back a few of some of Goose Island's finest, and watch some more Hawk-ey at the UC.
Hell yeah!
Welcome!

Blucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
I too have been a lurker. I am a Hawks lover and 'nucks hater who lives in the Twin Cities. I used to live in Chicago and would go tho the old Stadium to watch Eddie and JR play. I remember one playoff game when Grimson tried to climb over the penalty box glass to get to someone while playing the North Stars in the playoffs. Good times they were

Glad to be here and join in on the fun. At least living here....hockey is the #1 sport. When we had out tornadoes this spring they had to interrupt the playoffs for weather bulletins. There were so many phone calls about the playoffs being disrupted they apologized to the viewers for it. Kinda weird.....but they take it seriously here!

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:34 AM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I too have been a lurker. I am a Hawks lover and 'nucks hater who lives in the Twin Cities. I used to live in Chicago and would go tho the old Stadium to watch Eddie and JR play. I remember one playoff game when Grimson tried to climb over the penalty box glass to get to someone while playing the North Stars in the playoffs. Good times they were

Glad to be here and join in on the fun. At least living here....hockey is the #1 sport. When we had out tornadoes this spring they had to interrupt the playoffs for weather bulletins. There were so many phone calls about the playoffs being disrupted they apologized to the viewers for it. Kinda weird.....but they take it seriously here!
welcome

RedBaronIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
Hey folks. I've been a lurker for awhile, and felt like it was time to hop on to the stair car. Been a blackhawks fan for about a decade now, message board junkie for about the same amount of time. I'm from a town called Charleston, went to college there. Lived in Oak Lawn for a while, and am now located in Champaign, home of the U of I.

Love the active membership here, can't wait to chip in!

CS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Blucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS85 View Post
Hey folks. I've been a lurker for awhile, and felt like it was time to hop on to the stair car. Been a blackhawks fan for about a decade now, message board junkie for about the same amount of time. I'm from a town called Charleston, went to college there. Lived in Oak Lawn for a while, and am now located in Champaign, home of the U of I.

Hi and welcome to the board!

Blucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
BlackHawkeye*

cant keep up with all the new posts...

BlackHawkeye* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Cullksinikers

Welcome.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:46 PM
DKeith

Hello everyone! Been lurking for quite some time now. Finally decided to register 6 months ago, didn't bother logging in/posting until today.

DKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Cullksinikers

Welcome.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS85 View Post

I have been to U of I and Urbana-Champaign a few times. Love the place. Welcome

RedBaronIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:07 AM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronIndian View Post
I have been to U of I and Urbana-Champaign a few times. Love the place. Welcome
It's pretty amazing. Lot of great locally-owned bars and restaurants, great downtown area. The campus-area kind of sucks and is crazy during the school year, but otherwise it's a fantastic place to live.

CS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

welcome everyone

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Sophist

Hey Everybody: long-time lurker. long-time Hawks fan. My oldest memory is getting a call from Whitey Stapleton around my birthday (after my Dad had run into him in a bar). Newest, best memory: sharing highlights of the Cup and PKane's goal with my 5-year old.

I'm new to posting here, but welcome, young-uns here, to this once-proud, then not proud, then proud again, then not proud for a long time, then very proud franchise.

Sophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:57 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

welcome Sophist

Old
07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

I'm new, so I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I love Dunkin Donuts coffee and the Blackhawks. Cubs/Bears/Bulls too.

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:31 PM
HawksFan86

Guess I should poke my head in here, been a Hawks fan since I was a kid (Belfour/Roenick/Chelios era), my dad is a Hawks fan so growing up I liked them for that reason, as I've gotten older and started understanding the game more I've become a diehard fan.

Living in the St. Louis area I usually do my best to make it to as many Hawks games there as I can, this year I'm hoping to make a few trips up to the UC to see some games for the first time, also looking to hopefully fly up to Vancouver to see a Canucks/Hawks game in November.

Just found out the HF boards existed a couple days ago and have enjoyed lurking while the registration was locked out so I registered and look forward to being part of the community now.

HawksFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
I'm new, so I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I love Dunkin Donuts coffee and the Blackhawks. Cubs/Bears/Bulls too.
Welcome! ... but Dunkin Donuts coffee is disgusting. I'm a bit of a coffee snob, I guess... so that would explain it but at least it's not Starbucks.

I don't think I could drink Dunkin Donuts coffee without adding a bunch of cream to it... I usually drink coffee black.

Anyways, your name is clever. Maybe we'll see a Bolland Bagel username soon

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:28 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post

To be fair that happened for soccer too in the Twin Cities.

http://deadspin.com/5806653/to-minne...om-soccer-fans

Welcome all our new posters

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:47 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Anyways, your name is clever. Maybe we'll see a Bolland Bagel username soon
change your name again

Old
07-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Adrian05

I managed to register

I'm new, so I want to welcome everyone. Polish hockey fans is probably little but maybe this will change?

Hello

Adrian05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

welcome to HF

another european Fan

Old
07-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Cullksinikers

Cześć!

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
07-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Adrian05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Cześć!

Correct me if I'm wrong.
No need to improve

Adrian05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Cullksinikers

You have to love Google.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:05 PM
ChitownDoctor

Hey guys! White Sox, Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks fan in Michigan here. I'm a metal head and love hot chicks too, whoever posted that. Starting medical school in the fall... hopefully I can still keep up with the Hawks.

ChitownDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote