HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Crosby Overrated?

View Poll Results: Do you think Sidney Crosby is overrated?
Yes 44 22.92%
No 97 50.52%
Sort of 51 26.56%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman15 View Post
I no crosby is only 21 but look at this 120 pts to 102pts to 72 pts to 49 pts

now i know he got injured but all this hype for a player turning out to be almost injury prone

I meen come on "Crosby doesn't stop" Yes he has skill, but seriously he will maybe get a couple more 102 point seasons then he will be a Daigle or maybe a Langkow, thats it. I dont care if any of you disagree thats your problem when you lose you hockey pools in the next couple years sweating over crosby treating him like god.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:35 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir150 View Post
I think he was being sarcastic?

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderlizer View Post
I think he was being sarcastic?
I sure hope so. Either way, I love it.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
not at all.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:42 PM
wildone26*

I would say no. He is still undisputably one of the best players in the World and arguably the best player in the world. In many previous years he would be undisputably the best player in the world but we currently have 3 forwards around the same emerging- Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby, who are the greatest forward talents the sport has seen since the great one and Mario were playing.

He might well be overhyped, which is different than overrated. However that is a good thing, as overhyped media stars is what attracts more American viewers to sports anyway and that is what the NHL needs.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:

now i know he got injured but all this hype for a player turning out to be almost injury prone

I meen come on "Crosby doesn't stop" Yes he has skill, but seriously he will maybe get a couple more 102 point seasons then he will be a Daigle or maybe a Langkow, thats it. I dont care if any of you disagree thats your problem when you lose you hockey pools in the next couple years sweating over crosby treating him like god.
that's the funniest comment i have ever read on these boards.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I don't understand one ounce of the Crosby hate that goes on around these boards.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:

oXo Cube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

I no guys, I no.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 10:51 PM
AK

Quote:

Post of the year? I think yes.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 10:59 PM
PlantersOye

Crosby is an excellent player to have on your team in which he makes other players "play better."-- if that makes any sense. He does indeed have more assists than goals and the fact that players like Malkin on his line-up who are solid players, points will rack up quick, and in this case-- they are.

However, I hate how the media uses Crosby as: poster boy, Mr. Hockey, The Next One, etc. He's a great player (although a bit immature right now in his prime (youth), but I think he's getting ratings that actually exceed his capability.

Thus, I conclude with Crosby is "sort-of" overated and I say this without bias.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Went with sort of.

He's slightly overrated but, at the same time, underrated by the haters.

But Pens fans get so defensive about ANYONE coming off as possibly underrating him, that it elevates him back to that "slightly overrated" point.

By normal fans, though, I don't think he's overrated. In the scheme of all things hockey? Slightly overrated.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

Not overrated, I'm just sick of seeing him everywhere.

*glances up*

Seriously?!

Last edited by Sad King Jimmy: 12-30-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
quite the paradox to call the best player in the NHL overrated no?

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
By normal fans, though, I don't think he's overrated. In the scheme of all things hockey? Slightly overrated.
Which, to my way of thinking, has absolutely nothing to do with the player...

...and is instead a commentary on the times in which we live. Where hype and celebrity are confused with greatness...and the idiot masses buy it. Generation Britney.

The exposure of Crosby is without question disproportionate, even for a genuinely great player, but that is because the hype machine marketers deem it will be that way, otherwise the NHL will not get the weekly check in the mail.

That said, ponder this: were there no advertising, no talking heads, just NHL players on the ice, performing for 82 games each regular season, would you or I or any other sane person possessing an ounce of hockey knowledge and intellectual honesty for a second not consider him a world-class talent, a generational player?

Point being, we all could do without the massive amount of hype. Unfortunately, some people today are slaves to the media. As such the media controls them and their view of the everything. But that's their problem, it has nothing to so with #87. Ignore the media, watch the game.

Put another way: cut through all the superficial crap...and the game is the thing.

The only thing that matters.

And to that end, I'll follow the cue of the NHL GMs. They don't rate players based on Nike commericals.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Sort of. Case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
quite the paradox to call the best player in the NHL overrated no?
Why Crosby is by default the top player in the game when there are talents like Ovechkin and Malkin playing, I'll never know. Seems like everyone always has to prove why someone's better than Sid, far more often than having to prove him better than the first two.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:33 PM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Sort of. Case in point:

Why Crosby is by default the top player in the game when there are talents like Ovechkin and Malkin playing, I'll never know. Seems like everyone always has to prove why someone's better than Sid, far more often than having to prove him better than the first two.
I came across a post where one said Kovalchuk should get the hype as well-- something in those lines. Crosby has a young team to back him up with: Malkin, Staal, Fleury. On the other side, Kovalchuk is without an effective line-mates. I think it's because of the #1 overall status from recent years for Crosby (even though Kovalchuk was in that spotlight as well not too long ago) and what the media has changed the way people see Crosby as and not really the kind of player he is. Everybody plays differently and I respect the way Crosby plays, but there are other players who are just as good who don't deserve much attention or close-to.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Sort of. Case in point:

there is nothing default about it. ovechkin is a great goal scorer but does not have the smarts of crosby. malkin is a great player as well and can outplay crosby, but i'm pretty sure he was out with the flu in the sc finals or somethin...

crosby is the best player in the nhl, IMO, because he has earned it and i honestly don't like the kid. that doesn't mean he isn't an amazing hockey player though...

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarosefortheHart View Post

*glances up*

Seriously?!

Lmao, that is gold.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
there is nothing default about it...
Agree 100%. More importantly, so do people in the game. This is not a case of relativity. The people who are paid to judge players - NHL GMs - rank him the best.

I find it odd that so little attention is paid to that point in this thread (in fact, I'm the only one).

It's as if the opinions of NHL GMs are considered equivalent to the opinions of fans?

Sorry. Not the case. You want to rank a horse, ask a horse trainer. You want to rate a diamond, see a jeweler. You want to rank NHL talent, who's opinion would you trust more?

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Nashology

He isnt overrated. But I believe Malkin and Ovechkin are bother better than him. But that doesn't mean he isnt a great player as well.

Nashology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:13 AM
Michael Scott*

What a ridiculous thread...

Michael Scott* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:14 AM
Stu Macher

I think it's hard for some people to realize that something can be really great, but still overrated. I think Crosby is overrated, but he is still a tremendous hockey player.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarosefortheHart View Post

*glances up*

Seriously?!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Crazyhorse

No he isn't overrated. Not by the realist.

But he is indeed overrated by some homers. I remember a poll a year ago suggesting that he would get 150-200 points. That's just silly. And he isn't the clear cut best player in the world as some people where suggesting, like it was a universal truth.

Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby. There you got the three best players in the world. They will have their up and downs. Neither of them is "miles ahead" of the other.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote