HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Trade Deadline 2009

Old
12-30-2008, 06:18 PM
ugotmybeef*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4ever View Post
I would honestly rather keep Antro, Poni and Moore.

Antro, being our only Top 6 Forward (in the mind of Cliff Fletcher) is a good player to go forward with.

Poni is Antro's best friend, they have incredible chemistry together, and is on pace for a career year.

Moore is an energy guy, great 3rd or 4th line player. He knows his role and plays it well.
How do you expect to move on and change the team when you keep bringing back the same guys that couldn't get done the last 3 years.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
I believe it's March 3rd.
They pushed it back to March 4th because so many teams play on March 3rd that it would leave too many teams shorthanded due to players in transit.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
i mentioned it in the tank thread, would anyone want to try and get Kris Russell?
I made a proposal in the main boards involving him in a Antro/Kubina trade. No fans really seemed to respond to it though. I'd be more then happy to pick him up especially if we can move Kabs as well. He seems like a solid replacement for him down the road. But then again if things go really south for us we could end up with Hedman.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Do you think we could get 1st round picks for taking on other team's messes?
The only team that would probably give us their first for their mistake are the NYR if we took Redden and that's not worth a first. I think we'll simply be taking expiring contracts back for a better return. Move say Kubina to whoever and take back a junk contract allowing a team a little extra space and increasing say an additional 3rd being improved to a 2nd.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
How does one respond to this?
One doesn't, one reads, then one learns. Teams invest millions of dollars in these players so they are going to want to look at every aspect of those players. There is more than being able to do a toe drag move.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

haha nice now Tampa's winning.

Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

LOL @ Sifers

Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Snipeshow

I hope Moore isn't moved. He's a great 3rd line player with some offensive flare.

Unless we get some stupidly good offer, which is doubtful.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
LTL

Quote:
Hopefully your taking notes MSP.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:32 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post
sorry but you dont pass on someone with the talent of schroeder or morin because they are from the united states.
I am not saying I would pass up on Schroeder but why would you take Morin with another pick? I am sorry but I am all for Canadian contingency on my canadian team.

I like Schroeder, he is very talented but I take Kane over him if both are available at the same spot.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:41 AM
AlMo

Quote:
What does nationality have to do with anything? If you're a good player it doesn't matter where you were born.
It does matter MSP, Canadians take hockey much more serious than the rest of the world. We have went the Euro route (Sundin) it didn't work. The Sens did the same thing, it didn't work. Look at Stanley Cup winning rosters and you'll see a majority of players from good ol' Canada.

I am not trying be ignorant here, the Leafs have to take the best players available so if MSP is sitting there I don't pass on him to draft Brayden Schenn. My comment was more towards the guy that said we should draft Schroeder and Morin because they are both teammates but I just feel the Leafs would have too much of an American influence.

I want to build my team around guys that are extremely passionate for the game, guys that would absolutely love to put on that Leafs sweater and guys who dream of winning the Cup. There's a reason why the majority of people would pick a guy like Crosby over Malkin. Both have loads of talent and you really can't lose in that department but only one has passion and heart. Only one gives a 110% on every shift, and only one is a leader. I think you know which one is which.

Old
12-31-2008, 08:47 AM
AlMo

Quote:
You don't have to, it's pretty self explanatory. If you are still having trouble just ask Chris Prongers wife about Edmonton or ask Chris Chelios what he thinks about Toronto. Maybe you can compare the taxes too.

All the little Canadain boys may dream about throwing on a Leafs or Habs jersey but those little American boys have dreams of throwing on Minnesota and Boston jerseys.

It may not be common but the problem does exist.

Old
12-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
It does matter MSP, Canadians take hockey much more serious than the rest of the world. We have went the Euro route (Sundin) it didn't work. The Sens did the same thing, it didn't work. Look at Stanley Cup winning rosters and you'll see a majority of players from good ol' Canada.

I am not trying be ignorant here, the Leafs have to take the best players available so if MSP is sitting there I don't pass on him to draft Brayden Schenn. My comment was more towards the guy that said we should draft Schroeder and Morin because they are both teammates but I just feel the Leafs would have too much of an American influence.

I want to build my team around guys that are extremely passionate for the game, guys that would absolutely love to put on that Leafs sweater and guys who dream of winning the Cup. There's a reason why the majority of people would pick a guy like Crosby over Malkin. Both have loads of talent and you really can't lose in that department but only one has passion and heart. Only one gives a 110% on every shift, and only one is a leader. I think you know which one is which.
I would take Malkin over Crosby. And Ovechkin. I might even take Parise or Kane over Crosby. Just sayin...

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewPony View Post
Antropov is not going to net a first rounder.
Sure he could.

He'll probably be first or second on the list of any team that needs some size up front on their first three lines come trade deadline time, especially because they won't have to do a dance to get him in under the cap.

Last edited by Joey Hoser: 12-31-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:06 AM
r3v07ut10n

i agree, at least a second liner on any team

r3v07ut10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:22 AM
ashs

I would like to see Kovalchuk a leaf.

ashs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:25 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I would take Malkin over Crosby. And Ovechkin. I might even take Parise or Kane over Crosby. Just sayin...
Parise and Kane over Crosby.......extremely foolish! Both are excellent players but not in Crosby's league. Ovechkin is comparable due to the passion he brings game in, game out but Malkin can be emotionless at times. There is no denying Malkin's talent, I think it's on par with Crosby and Ovechkin but I give the edge to Sid and AO because of the other elements in their game.

Old
12-31-2008, 09:32 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Look at Stanley Cup winning rosters and you'll see a majority of players from good ol' Canada.
Red wings?

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
I hope Moore isn't moved. He's a great 3rd line player with some offensive flare.

Unless we get some stupidly good offer, which is doubtful.
...and for this reason easy to replace. Trade him while he has value, he was a waiver pickup afterall, so, any return is a profit, and would be more than we got for more talented players like Wellwood for example.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Budsfan

If we did trade Antro and get another 1st, Burke would maybe try to trade up and take Cowan or dare I say even higher but definitely in the top 3-4 but having said this, would it be better to keep 2 firsts.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Hockey Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
If we did trade Antro and get another 1st, Burke would maybe try to trade up and take Cowan or dare I say even higher but definitely in the top 3-4 but having said this, would it be better to keep 2 firsts.
Unless it was to move up to number one, I would keep the two firsts in this deep draft year.

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Reydin

keep the 2 first's its a deep draft, unless of course we can move up by adding a veteran player to the pick.

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:37 AM
BlackMagic

This is just my opinion but i think we should try to get these prospects:

New Jersey Devils
Patrice Cormier He is a powerforward and could be a top two center for us. Burke kind of player.
Kevin Cormier He is Patrice Cormiers brother and is a heavyweight enforcer who barely lost any fights in the Q at 6-3 236lbs.

Vancouver Canucks
Yann Sauve Was expected to be a really good to way D-man but is looking like he is not developing his offencive game. Could be a real good second pairing D-man and a good PK Defence.

Philadelphia Flyers
Claude Giroux He is a shifty winger from ontario who fits in nicely with the new style of hockey in the NHL.

Pittsburgh Penguins
Alex Grant He is a good offensive defenceman who could be a really good pick-up for us because he has a great shot good speed and exelent passing.

These are all players i have seen play multiple times in the Q and 4 of them could be on the top two lines at their position while K.Cormier could be a really good enforcer if he can stay healthy.

BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 11:09 AM
JeffYear92*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post
sorry but you dont pass on someone with the talent of schroeder or morin because they are from the united states.
i would rather ELLIS than Morin but that could change

if Morin ever Reported to Kitchener

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic View Post
This is just my opinion but i think we should try to get these prospects:

New Jersey Devils
Patrice Cormier He is a powerforward and could be a top two center for us. Burke kind of player.
Kevin Cormier He is Patrice Cormiers brother and is a heavyweight enforcer who barely lost any fights in the Q at 6-3 236lbs.

Vancouver Canucks
Yann Sauve Was expected to be a really good to way D-man but is looking like he is not developing his offencive game. Could be a real good second pairing D-man and a good PK Defence.

Philadelphia Flyers
Claude Giroux He is a shifty winger from ontario who fits in nicely with the new style of hockey in the NHL.

Pittsburgh Penguins
Alex Grant He is a good offensive defenceman who could be a really good pick-up for us because he has a great shot good speed and exelent passing.

These are all players i have seen play multiple times in the Q and 4 of them could be on the top two lines at their position while K.Cormier could be a really good enforcer if he can stay healthy.
I'm going to take a wild guess here and suggest you live in Saint John, NB and a big fan of the Sea Dogs.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote