HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

You guys got LOLBarbera!

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Payaso619*

vCash: 500
There are a couple of ways you can make sense of this trade. Either by assuming Luongo is going to take longer then the fans expected or they want Schneider to be returned to Manitoba and get his game into shape. I have a feeling that, with the whole Sanford situation, that the coaching staff or etc, knew that Sanford wasn't on top of his game, therefor decided to acquire Labarbera. The two almost moments almost happened right after the other as, if it were expected? Either way, for a 7th round pick, it's not the end of the world, even if he does manage to **** the bed once more, I mean come on guys, this is the Vancouver Canucks, we can't draft a decent prospect after the 3rd round.

Old
12-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing View Post
GOOD LORD !!!!!

Im sick of people saying we have ****** defence... if your gonna make assumtions about the kings at least pay attention to what is going on around you.
Up til this season the Kings have had a pretty poor defense.

This season though, they're doing pretty well. Lababera has been part of the Kings for more than just this season, so you could argue that yes, he has suffered under some poor D.

Old
12-31-2008, 06:12 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
There are a couple of ways you can make sense of this trade. Either by assuming Luongo is going to take longer then the fans expected or they want Schneider to be returned to Manitoba and get his game into shape. I have a feeling that, with the whole Sanford situation, that the coaching staff or etc, knew that Sanford wasn't on top of his game, therefor decided to acquire Labarbera. The two almost moments almost happened right after the other as, if it were expected? Either way, for a 7th round pick, it's not the end of the world, even if he does manage to **** the bed once more, I mean come on guys, this is the Vancouver Canucks, we can't draft a decent prospect after the 3rd round.
Kevin Bieksa, and Jannik Hansen beg to differ. I agree though, a 7th rounder is not a big deal.

Old
12-31-2008, 06:17 PM
Luongo2008*

Labarbs isn't that bad- He's on a bad team. You look at any other goalie that came through Los Angeles that went to a decent team, you can see they're quite good. Huet, Garon, now maybe Labarbs? Who knows.

Old
12-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
It was already explained by AV that this trade was made in regards to sanford's injury. He tweaked his groin in the morning and it was only at this point that gillis got on the phone to get a goalie. Why is that so hard for some people to understand and want to read into more than that? Without sanford tweaking his groin yesterday morning, this trade does not happen.

Old
12-31-2008, 06:19 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
It was already explained by AV that this trade was made in regards to sanford's injury. He tweaked his groin in the morning and it was only at this point that gillis got on the phone to get a goalie. Why is that so hard for some people to understand and want to read into more than that? Without sanford tweaking his groin yesterday morning, this trade does not happen.
So you're saying that Luongo doesn't want to re-sign with the Canucks, and LaBarbara is the new goaltender of the future, right?

Old
12-31-2008, 06:19 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

I'm not too worried. Ya LaBarbera is probably going to suck. But we seem to make goalies that suck slightly better when they come here. A slightly better LaBarbera that will probably play only a handful of games and then waived I have no real problem with.

LA is happy to get something for him and Vancouver is happy to have a decent back-up for a couple games.

LaBarbera better make the most out of this though, if he plays terrible during this stretch his NHL career is done.

12-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
I haven't heard of that since you wrote it just now.

Old
12-31-2008, 07:51 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Labarbera might be good with our defense.

Old
12-31-2008, 08:01 PM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMan View Post

i second that. because l.a defense is weak and van's strong i think with a few advice from goalie coach ian clark. jason might get the ball rolling.

Old
12-31-2008, 08:22 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Better stop talking about LA defense... That doesn't go over well with their fans.

Old
12-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Well, it's just not true.

Anyway, Jason should only play 5 games or so the rest of this season. This deal is only important from the aspect that we got him off our team, however, that could've been accomplished by putting him on waivers. I think a change of scenery could do him well, but that only goes so far. It doesn't give you quicker reflexes.

You guys have us beat for all-time with the Cloutier thing, so yeah...

Old
12-31-2008, 09:04 PM
nibbles

Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
Stop being mean to the savior... Sandterd is out..

Schneider is alright, but I'd rather see LABABRBEBRBEEA play.

Smart!

Old
12-31-2008, 09:08 PM
DreamCatcher*

Labs will do fine behind a stable D in Vancouver unlike L.A.'s grotesque defence.

Old
12-31-2008, 09:54 PM
RobertKron

I've heard that LA doesn't even actually dress any defensemen, and just play with only 3 skaters on the ice at all times.

Old
12-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

LA has a team?

Old
12-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Solidius

What's an LA?

Old
12-31-2008, 10:32 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidius View Post
What's an LA?
Lactic Acid?

Old
12-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMan View Post
As long as you don't let him in for shootouts, he'll be just fine.

Old
01-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Tripwyre

Hopefully we'll all be laughing about this unfortunate turn of events once we win the cup come June.
Better that than crying about it when we miss the playoffs.

Old
01-01-2009, 12:59 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
Hopefully we'll all be laughing about this unfortunate turn of events once we win the cup come June.
Better that than crying about it when we miss the playoffs.
I can just see it now...
"haha! do you remember that time that both Luongo and Sanford went down and we traded for LaBarbera?"
"yeah! How can I forget the day we acquired our co-conn smythe winner?"
"Never have I seen a tandem ride 16 shutouts to win the cup!"

sigh.

Old
01-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Really, I don't see the negativity towards Labarbera...this is a veteran player with almost 100 NHL games on his resume(similar to Sanford) who is capable of playing good games. Also like Sanford, he's capable of laying some real eggs. We gave up essentially peanuts to get him. I'm pumped to see him play, always glad to welcome a home grown product into the fold. Not expecting the second coming of Christ or anything, but solid backup goaltending/rotational goaltending until our goalies are all healthy would be awesome.

~Canucklehead~

Old
01-01-2009, 04:02 AM
AgentNaslund*

I think Labarbara will be fine, he was playing behind a not so strong defence.

Labarbra now has the chance to work with Ian Clarck,
and the fact that he is playing for his home town, will give him the extra motivation to play good. He struggled a little, maybe a little exposed, nothing wrong. I think he will be fine.

Old
01-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Cocomero*

The fact that you guys expect LaBarbera to play better with our D makes me chuckle... Like many have said, he can usually save the 1st shot but his crappy rebound control and his inability to get back into position to make the 2nd save will definitely kill us. Our D absolutely sucks when it comes to clearing the puck in the blue ice...They've sucked for 2 years at doing that... Proof? Recall previous games against the Flames, Oilers, and especially the Avs (MAD SCRAMBLES INFRONT OF LUONGO...)...Man I hope Luongo had a New Years miracle..

Old
01-01-2009, 04:42 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

Lets just hope Schneider found his game for now

Closed Thread