HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You guys got LOLBarbera!

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2008, 01:27 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
That was Aubin.. he was worse than Labarbara.

FYI... the personal problems people are referring to are his girlfriend or fiance having some severe medical problems. It wasn't like he was committed to an asylum or something. He left the team to be with his girlfriend while she was seriously ill.
Hopefully she was okay after that short bit. Stuff like this really puts a simple game into perspective.

12-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Free Kassian

vCash: 500
If the Monarchs would lose the purple, that logo would be one of the best in sports.

Old
12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Weren't Kings fans doing the same thing with another goaltender of theirs that wound up in the NW division?
A few were, which to this day I still don't understand.

I (and many other Kings' fans) thought we had a very solid #1 goalie for years to come (who has since wound up in the NW div. and still plays quite well), yet DL thought otherwise and the rest is history...

... but this has been discussed MANY times already.

Previous Kings goalie in NW div. >>>>>> LaBarbera (not even close, and that's not even looking at their shootout skill/lack thereof)

Old
12-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Kingswin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Well, hopefully playing in his hometown will help his confidence a bit. He'll be alternating games with Schneider until one of them shows they can carry the load in the absence of both Luongo and Sanford. I think we could have done worse than to bring Labarbera in. At the costy of only a 7th round pick, a nice depth pickup.

~Canucklehead~
The only depth he will help you with is falling in further in the standings..I just would not wish him on any team.. Good team guy though. never complained more than expected.

Old
12-31-2008, 01:53 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
On the bright side, at least when everyone is healthy, a Schneider/LaBarbera tandem is going to absolutely dominate the AHL.

Problem is, that's our current NHL tandem. Better not be for more than a couple weeks...yikes.

Old
12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Luongo2008*

Well this trade needed to happen, with Sanford now on the injured reserve another goaltender was needed and at the moment the canucks dont feel Schneider can carry
the load by himself.

Old
12-31-2008, 01:57 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post
Well this trade needed to happen, with Sanford now on the injured reserve another goaltender was needed and at the moment the canucks dont feel Schneider can carry
the load by himself.
What about Julien Ellis?

Old
12-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Luongo2008*

Not much of an explanation needed. Schneider is an overrated prospect, and Sanford ....yeah.

Old
12-31-2008, 02:00 PM
pitseleh

Another goaltender was also needed because the next player in line to sit on the bench was Julien Ellis. Labarbera will play one of the two games of the upcoming back to back against Nashville/Atlanta and if he's terrible he won't be needed again this month except in another back to back that's in about two weeks. Worst case scenario he's a warm body for Sundin to take extra shots on in practice.

Old
12-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Knucklez

What an interesting and horrifying turn of events.

Old
12-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Alexistheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswin View Post
No.. not Decent.
Trolls troll trolling.

Old
12-31-2008, 02:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Schneider to start vs. Nashville
Labarbera to start vs. Atlanta

Old
12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Luongo2008*

We needed a backup to our backup who is of NHL calibre. Corey is good but not ready yet for the big league. The players are trying too hard to protect the kid when he's in goal that they can't play their game plan. When Lou returns, Jason is odd-man out.

Old
12-31-2008, 03:31 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Not. LaBarbera was in a bad situation in LA. He's got skills but has been rotting away on a crappy team with even crappier goaltending coaches an even worse defensive corps.

LaBarbera has the skills. However, when you rot away on a perpetually crappy team year in and year out, winning attitudes don't always come easy.

That deserves a....

PWNED!
yea by crappy defense you mean lowest shots per game allowed in the nhl right?

Old
12-31-2008, 03:37 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
don't even think of bringing logic into this discussion!

Old
12-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
It's not the quantity of shots that you give up its the quality of shots you give up.

In other words it doesn't matter if you hold a team to few shots it's scoring chances that matter and since I haven't followed the Kings that closely this year I can't say whether or not the scoring chances have been high or low.

If you're giving up a shots from the outside that get cleared relatively easy when and if there is a rebound then it doesn't matter if you give up 50 shots in a game.

However if you're giving up a shot and a rebound that gets put right back into the net then in that set of shots you gave up 2 shots and 1 goal which proves that shots against per game really doesn't matter.

Old
12-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
I haven't followed the Kings that closely this year I can't say whether or not the scoring chances have been high or low.
Look at ersberg's and quick's stats and compare them to jason and you have your answer.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:13 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
I'm actually pleased with this trade. Sure Labarbera has struggled with the Kings, but then again, it's the Kings. When you're backstopping a team with virtually no defense of course you're going to let in a ton of goals.

He has struggled this year, but last year he sported a .910 save percentage, and with that team being the worst team in the league, that's very very strong.

He's not much of an upgrade over Sanford (when healthy), if an upgrade at all...but the depth in net is what we're going after, and we essentially got him for free. It's a very low-risk move.
Kings rank 8th in the NHL in GAA.
Kings are 7th in the NHL in PK.
Kings are 1st in the NHL in Shots Against.

No they have no defense.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:22 PM
JonnyCash

this just in CUJO beat Atlanta last night... Labarb is looking better now

Old
12-31-2008, 04:24 PM
HaveAnotherDoughnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I'd say we're due for one of these goalie flyers to come in and play above expectations, but I know that's not the way it works around here.
Haha. Seems to me the Goalie Graveyard follows Burke around. Giggy has had problems, Bryz on waivers, Toskala has been terrible and Joseph is awful.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan View Post
Noronen.
I had high hopes for him. To be fair, he wasn't really given much of a shot here.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Guys I'm having trouble here can anyone help me out.

I'm looking on canucks.com for the live stream of LaBarbera's first practice and I can't find it. Is it under media? Have they practiced today yet? Will he join the team tomorrow?

Old
12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post
Guys I'm having trouble here can anyone help me out.

I'm looking on canucks.com for the live stream of LaBarbera's first practice and I can't find it. Is it under media? Have they practiced today yet? Will he join the team tomorrow?
Cameras still at the bus depot waiting for him.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
It's not the quantity of shots that you give up its the quality of shots you give up.

In other words it doesn't matter if you hold a team to few shots it's scoring chances that matter and since I haven't followed the Kings that closely this year I can't say whether or not the scoring chances have been high or low.

If you're giving up a shots from the outside that get cleared relatively easy when and if there is a rebound then it doesn't matter if you give up 50 shots in a game.

However if you're giving up a shot and a rebound that gets put right back into the net then in that set of shots you gave up 2 shots and 1 goal which proves that shots against per game really doesn't matter.
Which has been an issue with the goal tending. Labarbera has not been reliable in stopping even half of those good scoring chances that do get through. A good defense keeps the shots away from the goalie, but can't be expected to keep all of them away.

Labarbera can't stop the breakaway. Can't stop anything in the shootout. I don't expect goalies to always make those saves, but I do expect them to at least make some of them and in most of the games Labs has played in this season, he's simply failed at that.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Alexistheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post
Not much of an explanation needed. Schneider is an overrated prospect, and Sanford ....yeah.
WOW. That basically captivates what I think of you as a poster. Schneider has been quite good (being this his first ever look at the NHL). But if you're 12 years old I guess if the player isn't lights out in his first debut then he is over rated. Heck under your logic, Hodgson is over rated since he was unable to cut it here in training camp. If you're looking for attention by making completely asinine comments, you've outdone yourself, yet again.

Closed Thread