HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blues Need a Goalie (Who's Out There?)

Old
12-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

vCash: 500
If St. Louis cannot wait until July 1st and hope Backstrom or Thomas would come to Missouri then the Blues best options would be these following players.

Atlanta Thrashers

Johan Hedberg, Kari Lehtonen, Ondrej Pavelec

The most likely chance for a trade will be for Johan Hedberg. However, Pavelec wants to be the number one goalie and will fight vigoursly to be the number one guy. Any one of these goalies could be had, unless Atlanta wants to keep either one of Lehtonen or Pavelec. Since Atlanta has a log jam in net right now, Lehtonen could be the odd man out due to his injuries.

With Lehtonen, proceed with caution. However, he can be a game stealer when healthy and on his game. It would cost a bit to get either Pavelec or Lehtonen out of Atlanta, but it may not cost that much to get Hedberg.

Chicago Blackhawks

Nikolai Khabibulin

The plus in Nikolai Khabibulin is the fact he won a Stanley Cup. The downside is the fact he may test the free agency market at the end of the year and St. Louis may end up losing their player/picks for nothing. Tread carefully with this possible trade.

Columbus Blue Jackets

Pascal Leclaire

With Steve Mason making himself the number one goalie in Columbus, making only $905k per year, he seems the logical number one. Leclaire makes $3.8 million for another two years, and the Blue Jackets could be looking to move him out to free up salary cap room and add a puck moving defenseman and center for Rick Nash.

Edmonton Oilers

Dwyane Roloson

This pick up would only be good for this year, as Roloson will be a free agent. Just like Khabibulin, I would be careful in trading for a 39 year old goalie that could bolt to another team come July 1, 2009.

Florida Panthers:

Craig Anderson

A backup goaltender that is 31 years old, and with a save percentage of .935, one of the best in the league.

Anderson is the backup to Tomas Vokoun in Florida, and Jacques Martin has a history of making stupid trades for his team. St. Louis can look at prying Anderson from Florida to help the Panthers out by plugging some of their holes on the roster this year.

Anderson is set to be a UFA next year and could be had for cheap. Or, St. Louis can wait till July 1st and hope he comes to St. Louis for money only. Buyer beware based on UFA status for next year.

Montreal Canadiens

Jaroslav Halak

Halak is the odd man out in Montreal with Carey Price as number one. However, it would take an excellent offer to pry him from Montreal, and chances are St. Louis may not have what Montreal is looking for.

Nashville Predators

Dan Ellis, Pekka Rinne

Pekka Rinne will eventually want to become the starting goaltender in the next few years. However, Ellis and Rinne are on good contracts right now and it will come down to who plays the best out of the two. Kind of like Nabokov and Toskala in San Jose pushing each other for the number one spot. St. Louis would have to pay high to get either one of these goalies, especially to a Western Conference team trade.

Ottawa Senators

Martin Gerber

Although Gerber would be available, it would be in the best interest of St. Louis not to trade for Gerber. He does not help Ottawa who is practically in the same standings as St. Louis, so why even bother with picking up another Legace? No point in taking Gerber.

Tampa Bay Lightning

Olaf Kolzig

Tampa Bay needs to shake up their team out of this underachieving funk they currently are under. Kolzig would most likely be the odd man out and can be had for a decent trade based on his $2.5 million salary and UFA status next year. However, just like any other pending UFA, proceed with caution.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Vesa Toskala

A career backup goaltender who became a starter for the first time last year, Toskala has been playing sub par on a bad Maple Leafs team. Toskala has some bright moments and lapses at times. A change of scenery could help Toskala out, but this would be a project for St. Louis in the hopes he turns his game around.

At 31 years of age, he still has some upside to turn it around, but his $4 million contract could be something that John Davidson may not like. At least Toskala will not be a UFA next year and can be had for a decent return without selling the farm.

Vancouver Canucks

Cory Schneider

Only a prospect, this kid has a lot of upside and is doing really well for the Manitoba Moose of the AHL. The only way Schneider is traded, is if Ruberto Luongo signs long term with Vancouver. If not, then the chances of St. Louis landing him will be slim, along with the other 29 NHL teams looking for his services.

Washington Capitals

Jose Theodore or Brent Johnson

Theodore has struggled a bit in the nation’s capital and he could be the odd man out if he does not turn his game around come the trade deadline. With Brent Johnson playing well for the Capitals, and Simeon Varlamov eventually taking the reigns as the number one goaltender in a couple of years, watch for a possible move with Jose Theodore.

However, Brent Johnson will become a UFA next season and could possibly move instead of Johnson. Once again, with any pending UFA proceed with caution when buying one.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Market Street Heroes

Why trade for a goalie when we can sign Backstrom this offseason?

Market Street Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Market Street Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Would you guys consider Halak+ for Berglund? Damn that would be sweet.
Berglund is the most untouchable player on the team.

Market Street Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFCBlues View Post
Why trade for a goalie when we can sign Backstrom this offseason?
Gaborik is most likely not coming back to Minny next season so I'm pretty sure they have the cap space to resign Backstrom for big dollars. Unless of course, Backstrom wants out of Minny. If that's the case all the power to ya.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:36 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Tazer View Post
Gaborik is most likely not coming back to Minny next season so I'm pretty sure they have the cap space to resign Backstrom for big dollars. Unless of course, Backstrom wants out of Minny. If that's the case all the power to ya.
If so, we can try and deal for Josh Harding as well. He's one guy I wouldn't mind seeing as a Blue.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:56 AM
le_sean

I'd love Berglund.

Plekanec + Higgins + Halak for Berglund + Legace.

I wish.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:16 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
You won't get a goalie caliber of Halak for second round pick. Best bet for the Blues is to wait until this summer's free agent market. Doesn't sound like they are serious on trading for a front end goalie

Mikka Kipprusoff- 2nd round pick
Illya Bryzgalov- waivers
JS Giguere- 2nd round pick
Martin Biron- 2nd round pick
Manny Fernandez- Grinder prospect(Peter Kalus) and a 4th round pick
Kristobel Huet- 2nd round pick

You'll take a 2nd round pick for Halak and you'll like it.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:55 AM
jmwc95

Let's have this conversation again in the offseason because the Blues aren't going to do anything with Legace and Mason this season. They'll let Legace's contract expire at the end of the year and find another goaltender to push Mason for the starting job next season.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:01 AM
doglover8891
rajinikanthfan1

how about auld first round draft pick

for

legace and a first round pick

doglover8891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:00 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsrules View Post
how about auld first round draft pick

for

legace and a first round pick
We are not swapping 1st round draft picks for someone we could have signed if we wanted last offseason. No thanks.

Old
01-05-2009, 12:49 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Though I really wouldn't mind seeing Toskala in a Blues jersey....I don't like giving up both Sonne and Livingston. How about Livingston and Simon Hjalmarsson.
I would do this although I'd like to swap Hjalmarsson with Kana. He seems a little more Burke esk. There were some mild rumblings that Burke had a trade in place for Toskala involving a pick and prospect/s. It was just random nothing that I have a link for. I assume you'd be throwing Legace into the mix here.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I would do this although I'd like to swap Hjalmarsson with Kana. He seems a little more Burke esk. There were some mild rumblings that Burke had a trade in place for Toskala involving a pick and prospect/s. It was just random nothing that I have a link for. I assume you'd be throwing Legace into the mix here.
Toskala

for

Legace, Livingston, and Kana

I'd do this deal. Blues fans? Toronto fans? What do you think?

Old
01-05-2009, 02:00 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Toskala

for

Legace, Livingston, and Kana

I'd do this deal. Blues fans? Toronto fans? What do you think?
It certainly doesn't hurt our future and gives the Leafs more building blocks to move forward into their rebuild; although I'm not sure if it's the kind they want or need.

It'd also be interesting to see what Burke does to replace Toskala and wonder in hindsight if it could have been us.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:13 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
It certainly doesn't hurt our future and gives the Leafs more building blocks to move forward into their rebuild; although I'm not sure if it's the kind they want or need.

It'd also be interesting to see what Burke does to replace Toskala and wonder in hindsight if it could have been us.
Rumors are that we have a deal in place for Leclaire

Old
01-05-2009, 02:51 PM
captainpaxil

what about one of theflyers goalies biron or nittymaki?

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Rumors are that we have a deal in place for Leclaire
Where are these rumors? You have a link? I would love having Pascal in St. Louis.

Old
01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Where are these rumors? You have a link? I would love having Pascal in St. Louis.
I'll try and find it a little later. When I do I'll post it

Old
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

Well, you can't have LaBarbera.

He's taken

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM
The King 1

I have seen several links to Toronto being close on a deal with Colombus. Here is one

http://www.***********.com/index.php?page=rumors

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
The King 1

Sorry- Columbus

Old
01-05-2009, 04:15 PM
jmwc95

Quote:

I would be very wary of Leclaire. He's not the same goalie he was last year. A lot of goalies have success right away in the NHL and then once the players get the book on them, they never put up similar numbers. Leclaire has just looked awful this season.

Old
01-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

Quote:
The Blues can't find goaltenders outside of their division?

Osgood, Legace, Mason ... now Leclaire?

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Twist and Shout

Toskala for Toivonen and Backes.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:22 PM
The King 1

I agree. I am not sold on Leclaire. I think Toronto should wait till the season is over to worry about next years goalie. Take picks for now.

Old
01-05-2009, 04:27 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Damn, you guys just missed out on Jason LaBarbera. LOL.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote