HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

12/31/08 "Out With The Old, In With The New York" - Panthers VS. Islanders

View Poll Results: Who Resolves To Win The Game?
Panthers 10 71.43%
Islanders 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
A better shot of getting lucky!!
There is no such thing as luck in Florida and expecially when it comes to drafts

If we got Tavares he'd become the next Horton

Old
12-31-2008, 03:17 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Good. I hope they keep scoring. I hope we lose 7-1. I hope the Islanders beat them into the ground. Show these pathetic "athletes" a few things.

Old
12-31-2008, 03:17 PM
PanthersRule96

So pathetic

Old
12-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
There is no such thing as luck in Florida and expecially when it comes to drafts

If we got Tavares he'd become the next Horton
Could be worse. Maybe we could draft the next Shvidki

ah might as well give them that goal

Old
12-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

How bad are we? NYI snap there 6 game losing streak

Old
12-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
Could be worse. Maybe we could draft the next Shvidki

ah might as well give them that goal
Atleast Shvidki doesnt float on our team night in night out

Old
12-31-2008, 03:22 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Some1 save us.. There is no effort at all..... at all..... Make a trade that actually would matter
this is really an inexcusable effort. disgusting. bad decisions, lousy effort. it's not goaltending. the poor effort and decision-making is spreading and now we're seeing all sorts of mistakes by the D (except jay). 4 games in a row of this crap is getting close to enough.

personally, i'm a little disappointed we're not seeing more of stewie and tarnasky.

Old
12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

It seems since Horton came back this team has started playing there old ways.

Why doesnt DeBeor bench the "big names" for this last period and play Matthias/Stewart as the 1rst line.

Old
12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
zeroG

announcers are agreeing with me now about the lack of playing time for the 4th line (before garbage time).

Old
12-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
How bad are we? NYI snap there 6 game losing streak
Two game. They beat the Maple Leafs on Dec 26th. 4-1, lost to Buffalo in OT and the Ranger in reg after that game.

Old
12-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Two game. They beat the Maple Leafs on Dec 26th. 4-1, lost to Buffalo in OT and the Ranger in reg after that game.
Ok announcers suck then

Old
12-31-2008, 03:41 PM
RainingRats

I would think JM has a contract offer prepared for Bouw and offers him it in the next couple of days. If he doesn't accept then he gets traded ASAP, especially with the way this team has been playing.

Old
12-31-2008, 03:48 PM
cycle_it

both teams looked apathetic.....but i only watch one on a regular basis and they've been looking pretty bad. i hope today was rock bottom.

Old
12-31-2008, 03:49 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

So Vokoun got yanked after giving up 3? A solid veteran like him deserves better than that... Just the latest in what has turned into a terrible mishandling of two talented goaltenders.

Maybe it's time to consider Laviolette?

Old
12-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Even if he does mean that, who cares? When both goalies are playing like crap, which one would you go with? You have to go with the guy that earned the fat contract in the belief he'll be the one most likely to rebound...not the guy that has a small contract because the last time he was handed a starter's role for more than 1/4 of the season, he failed miserably.

I like Anderson and the way the team plays in front of him...in short spurts. Long-term I don't think he's a starter.
''We need a win, this is a very important two points,'' DeBoer said. ''The decision was to go with the veteran, the money guy. We pay Tomas a lot of money to win games like this.''

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...n-the-new.html

And with all that money in his wallet, he failed. Islanders broadcasters said two of the three goals allowed by Vokoun were bad goals that Vokoun should have saved. They couldn't understand why the NHL's save percentage leader was on the bench especially when he shutout the Islanders last season 1-0 with 50+ saves. The answer to why he was on the bench is simple. The Panthers have a lot of money invested in Vokoun, to paraphrase DeBoer's own words. It's time Andy be given the number one job without having to worry about a loss or a goal meaning Vokoun replaces him. Give him a month without having to look over his shoulder to see if Vokoun is replacing him and see how he does. Vokoun hasn't earned his money but Andy has many times over.

Old
12-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
So Vokoun got yanked after giving up 3? A solid veteran like him deserves better than that... Just the latest in what has turned into a terrible mishandling of two talented goaltenders.

Maybe it's time to consider Laviolette?
I think the team just goes into the next game without a goalie in net. They seem to play with a bit more urgency when they have the goalie pulled. Maybe that extra skater can help McCabe set up the puck in just the right spot before he shoots a field goal on the powerplay.

Old
12-31-2008, 03:56 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
''We need a win, this is a very important two points,'' DeBoer said. ''The decision was to go with the veteran, the money guy. We pay Tomas a lot of money to win games like this.''

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...n-the-new.html

And with all that money in his wallet, he failed. Islanders broadcasters said two of the three goals allowed by Vokoun were bad goals that Vokoun should have saved. They couldn't understand why the NHL's save percentage leader was on the bench especially when he shutout the Islanders last season 1-0 with 50+ saves. The answer to why he was on the bench is simple. The Panthers have a lot of money invested in Vokoun, to paraphrase DeBoer's own words. It's time Andy be given the number one job without having to worry about a loss or a goal meaning Vokoun replaces him. Give him a month without having to look over his shoulder to see if Vokoun is replacing him and see how he does. Vokoun hasn't earned his money but Andy has many times over.
In the salary cap era I'm not for investing a lot of money in a goalie.

With that said, Vokoun played a solid period against Montreal and Pete seems to have both goalies on a very tight leash.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:00 PM
sinDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
So Vokoun got yanked after giving up 3? A solidveteran like him deserves better than that...
He's not solid anymore

He should have stopped that 3rd goal

Could have been a different game if he had stopped it

Old
12-31-2008, 04:16 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
He's not solid anymore

He should have stopped that 3rd goal

Could have been a different game if he had stopped it
the game was over by that 3rd goal, really. they had stopped skating. it wasn't until frolik's great individual effort on the PK midway through the period that they had a couple of respectable shifts in a row.

watching the postgame show, i heard that we outshot them 8-0 to start the game. i missed that. got back right before the sim goal that was called back. i really think what's happening is that they aren't getting rewarded like they were earlier in the month and, instead of sticking it out and staying with the system, they get frustrated and get away from what was working. the team that was winning stuck with it even if they were even or down into the 2nd. this team now doesn't seem to have will to stick with it.

anyhow, goaltending is not the problem right now. it's not bailing us out but it's not the root of the problem.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Georgia Panther

I'm telling you guys, Vokoun,Bouw to Ottawa for Spezza,Gerber makes a lot of sense. Both teams need big shakeups and it works Cap Wise. Spezza gets paid the money that would have gone to Bouw and Gerber's contract comes off the books at the end of the season. Sign Andy to a 2-3 mil per year three year contract, sign a cheap backup and with Vokoun's departure Cohen actually SAVES money if he wants to or can invest it in strengthening the team in other areas. The addition of Spezza allows the Cats to have two true scoring lines. How does Stillman-Spezza-Horton, Booth-Weiss-Frolik strike you? That trade makes sense on so many levels both for the Cats and Ottawa!!!

Old
12-31-2008, 04:19 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
the game was over by that 3rd goal, really. they had stopped skating. it wasn't until frolik's great individual effort on the PK midway through the period that they had a couple of respectable shifts in a row.

watching the postgame show, i heard that we outshot them 8-0 to start the game. i missed that. got back right before the sim goal that was called back. i really think what's happening is that they aren't getting rewarded like they were earlier in the month and, instead of sticking it out and staying with the system, they get frustrated and get away from what was working. the team that was winning stuck with it even if they were even or down into the 2nd. this team now doesn't seem to have will to stick with it.

anyhow, goaltending is not the problem right now. it's not bailing us out but it's not the root of the problem.
I agree. This is all mental and this is why we see such inconsistency in their game. This is still a mentally fragile team. Its all in their heads.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:22 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
I'm telling you guys, Vokoun,Bouw to Ottawa for Spezza,Gerber makes a lot of sense. Both teams need big shakeups and it works Cap Wise. Spezza gets paid the money that would have gone to Bouw and Gerber's contract comes off the books at the end of the season. Sign Andy to a 2-3 mil per year three year contract, sign a cheap backup and with Vokoun's departure Cohen actually SAVES money if he wants to or can invest it in strengthening the team in other areas. The addition of Spezza allows the Cats to have two true scoring lines. How does Stillman-Spezza-Horton, Booth-Weiss-Frolik strike you? That trade makes sense on so many levels both for the Cats and Ottawa!!!
I would love to have Horton with a play making center but I don't think Ottawa does this. This leaves them very weak down the middle and their problem is scoring right now.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
zeroG

Quote:
except jay's the most consistent defender we have. take him out of the lineup and this team is much weaker, imo. sounds good but i still think the focus has to be on keeping jay. the way this tandem's fallen apart though, it's making me think twice about dealing vokoun. if they don't figure out how to get back to playing 60 minutes of team hockey within another week or so, i'd be supportive of some kind of deal, though i don't know who i'd want to deal off-hand.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I would love to have Horton with a play making center but I don't think Ottawa does this. This leaves them very weak down the middle and their problem is scoring right now.

Ottawa has been shopping Spezza. It has been reported in thr Ottawa papers. The problem they're having in moving him is not the production lost in trading him, they would move Vermette back to his natural position of center which hopefully would wake him up, but in finding a team to take his long term expensive contract, a $7 mil cap figure over the next 7 years and $8 mil in actual money the next 5 years. But in the Panthers case, that would be money they had allocated to sign Bouw long term.

Old
12-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
except jay's the most consistent defender we have. take him out of the lineup and this team is much weaker, imo. sounds good but i still think the focus has to be on keeping jay. the way this tandem's fallen apart though, it's making me think twice about dealing vokoun. if they don't figure out how to get back to playing 60 minutes of team hockey within another week or so, i'd be supportive of some kind of deal, though i don't know who i'd want to deal off-hand.
Jay is gone, either by trade before the deadline or for nothing as a free agent at the end of the season. Deal with it.

Closed Thread