HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

12/31/08 "Out With The Old, In With The New York" - Panthers VS. Islanders

View Poll Results: Who Resolves To Win The Game?
Panthers 10 71.43%
Islanders 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Anyone who thinks this team is going to be a contender anytime soon is out of touch. Anytime soon being within three years from now.
OK...

01-01-2009, 09:41 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
A lot can happen in 3 years.

Old
01-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
LOL @ facts being propaganda. If he has a family here, a reasonable person would think that they have settled down, have friends, go to certain schools, are comfortable, probably like it down here, etc. However, he doesn't have any of this it makes it much easier for him to pick up and leave. As for the contract, and "biting", there is risk involved in passing up guaranteed money. Not sure I need to explain further.

Also, what does offering long term deals to every player have anything to do with offering Bouw a contract. My point is that some people want to be here and others don't. Your last couple sentences are completely unrelated to anything I've said.
It was to the point that Jay really does want to play for a playoff team. He doesn't want to sign until he thinks they have a chance at being competitive. Horton obviously didn't care as much, and look where that got the team,. No big deal, I'm not trying to lead you anywhere. As for the last few sentences, they may be unrelated to what you said, but they express where I think this team needs to be moving and the differences as to why all the kids you mentioned signed contracts vs the reason Jay hasn't; it's not all about your grand hypothesis.

As to the children and wife comment, some 25 year olds aren't ready to jump into that life just yet. Hell a good number of people are smart to never have kids because it's not something they are good at, but let's not get all Dr. Phil with trogladyte sociology. It's a non-issue in that players with wives and kids leave town just as much as those without -- even Mike Sillinger has a family.

Old
01-01-2009, 11:54 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Zero asked me what could be some reasons. These aren't quotes just some possible reasons.

You're crazy if you think this team is going to be a contender anytime soon. As in, contender for the Stanley Cup! Not for a playoff spot, not for the division, the Stanley Cup! Its one thing to be optimistic its another to be completely out of touch with this team and its potential.

I think Bouw will be gone in the next couple of weeks.
you're pulling this all out of your you-know-what. i didn't ask you for make believe reasons. we all get that there are reasons why one would or wouldn't want to stay down there. the bottom line is that he has not said anything close to what you're suggesting.

and they aren't going to contend this year but really, if JM continues his work, all bets are off as soon as next year. imo, we're still 2 years away from even attempting to step in to the buyer's role pittsburgh did last year but... well, call me crazy i guess. my point is, look around the league; there aren't any guarantees. jay's smart. he understands this. he knows this organization better than anyplace else. he knows the prospects, he knows the management style of JM, he's getting to see PDB in all situations. compare that to the risk of signing long term with anyone but the absolute creme de la creme, i.e., detroit, et al and you see that it's a complete crap shoot. ottawa looked like a sure shot 2 years ago. a coaching change and disastrous season and a half later, their window has closed and the organization is in dire straights.

anyhow, as a player, he's on the road half the winter anyhow and can (still does?) live in western canada during the off-season so that's not as big of a deal as you think.

Old
01-02-2009, 05:49 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Yes, and we are lucky that history is no guarantee for future results.

Old
01-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Brings to mind an old Casey Stengal quote when asked about a players future prospects. He said so and so is 20 years old and in ten years he has a chance to be 30.

Old
01-02-2009, 06:47 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Yes, and we are lucky that history is no guarantee for future results.
Take for instance, our prospect pool. 3 years ago, the cupboard was bare.

It was easy to succumb to the notion we would never build it up to anything half decent, let alone in such a short span of time.

Old
01-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Georgia Panther

The point I was making with the Stengel quote is with prospects the only certainty is that someday they will be older. Granted that it's better to have more prospects than less in the system but you can't count chickens before they hatch. A guy like matthias is a lot closer, at the moment, to a Novoseltsev-Shvidki type career than he is to Joe Thornton's.

Old
01-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
The point I was making with the Stengel quote is with prospects the only certainty is that someday they will be older. Granted that it's better to have more prospects than less in the system but you can't count chickens before they hatch. A guy like matthias is a lot closer, at the moment, to a Novoseltsev-Shvidki type career than he is to Joe Thornton's.
I don't think he was projected to be in Joe Thornton's league, anyway. Maybe Nathan Horton's, but due to effort rather than natural ability. I know he's not showing that in the AHL, but seems to have grown a bit in his NHL stints this season.

Frolik, meanwhile, is already getting closer to say a Ray Whitney (during his Panthers career) only with defensive ability than he is to a Shvidki or Novoseltsev, so there's that going for the team.

01-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I don't think he was projected to be in Joe Thornton's league, anyway. Maybe Nathan Horton's, but due to effort rather than natural ability. I know he's not showing that in the AHL, but seems to have grown a bit in his NHL stints this season.

Frolik, meanwhile, is already getting closer to say a Ray Whitney (during his Panthers career) only with defensive ability than he is to a Shvidki or Novoseltsev, so there's that going for the team.
Actually, what comparisons I've seen of Matthias to a NHL player is that to Bertuzzi, though since Bertuzzi is a winger I don't see it.

Old
01-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

I just reallized there's one positive development of "that horrible game" (as it shall forever after be called) that hasn't been discussed yet.

So many posters have correctly pointed out that there's too much Bouwmeester and McCabe action on the power play, trying to set them up for the big shot, principally McCabe. Those comments, I think, are spot on.

But in the third I saw a determined effort NOT to shoot from the back--it was almost as if McCabe had been specifically told by PDB not to shoot, but pass it off. Even when he had a shot he appeared to be trying to work it down low as all the people here have suggested.

Result? That power play was dangerous. The puck was brought to the net and we had many good scoring chances. I haven't seen that from the power play in a long, long time.

So congratulations to all for your insight. Do you think PDB is a lurker on this board?

Closed Thread