HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Horrific Leg Injury to Marco Sturm

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2004, 11:05 PM
  #26
kenabnrmal
Registered User
 
kenabnrmal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the beach or rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,209
vCash: 500
The dislocation is definitely good news, I would guess. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know if that means he'll have a chance to be back this season. When I saw it I was concerned about his career, so anything that tells me that this fine player will be back on the ice at some point is good news to me.

kenabnrmal is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:06 PM
  #27
Yayo
 
Yayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
McGuire just said on the TSN broadcast that they did x-rays and didn't find a fracture....apparently its a dislocation.
That's good news. Hopefully he can return before the season is over.

Yayo is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:12 PM
  #28
kenabnrmal
Registered User
 
kenabnrmal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the beach or rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,209
vCash: 500
Apparently on the AP wire its being reported as a broken leg. I suppose time will tell, although I'd think the direct report from McGuire at the game would be most trustworthy

kenabnrmal is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:13 PM
  #29
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 34,511
vCash: 500
ESPN is saying it's a broken leg.

With all the contradictory reports, I think it's best to wait tomorrow for the correct diagnosis.

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:19 PM
  #30
jc4shrx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jc4shrx
Sharks commentators have said several times in the last few minutes that it is a dislocation.

jc4shrx is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:19 PM
  #31
PavelBure
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayouche5
Season still over even if it's not fractured ?
im guessing so, i dislocated my knee at a hockey game last year and was on crutches for 6 weeks and then had to go to rehab for a month

PavelBure is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:29 PM
  #32
Bobby Orr's Knees
Registered User
 
Bobby Orr's Knees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Where it hurts most
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Dislocations can be worse than breaks - they usually result in a bunch of torn ligaments that take a long time to heal. This is a tough injury; I wish Marco a quick recovery.

Bobby Orr's Knees is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:55 PM
  #33
wazee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
Well...now in the Avs postgame show, they are saying it is BOTH a broken leg AND a dislocated ankle. The worst of both worlds...

wazee is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:00 AM
  #34
The Frugal Gourmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Do the Sharks make a move now, being as how he is probably the second best forward on the Sharks?

Kinda works out positive for my Stars, though, who are 2 wins behind SJ.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:04 AM
  #35
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
I have a friend who dislocated his ankle. He told me that it's the worst pain he ever felt in his life, and that includes a compound fracture of his leg.

It was so bad he actually went into shock...

Toonces is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:06 AM
  #36
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy
Marco Sturm Update: Now classified as a dislocated ankle.... no frature...

Great news!


No thats not great news, it's almost worse. Imagine putting your foot on backwards. Thats what an ankle dislocation can be. Usually you tear some ligament as well.

Warning, graphic photos of a dislocated ankle

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/...hics/tran1.jpg
http://www.cbhs.org/sportsmedicine/images/ankle_1.jpg

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:08 AM
  #37
Yayo
 
Yayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,938
vCash: 500
*faints*

Yayo is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:10 AM
  #38
Thalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
No thats not great news, it's almost worse. Imagine putting your foot on backwards. Thats what an ankle dislocation can be. Usually you tear some ligament as well.

Warning, graphic photos of a dislocated ankle

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/...hics/tran1.jpg
http://www.cbhs.org/sportsmedicine/images/ankle_1.jpg
OMG, that looks like the store manequins that I used to dress.

Thalia is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:12 AM
  #39
Lobstertainment
Registered User
 
Lobstertainment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,335
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lobstertainment is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:13 AM
  #40
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Holy crap. Best of luck to Marco.

Touch-icing is one of the worst things about the NHL, its like adding spike strips to a Nascar track.

Also, those pictures look horrible!

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:22 AM
  #41
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,561
vCash: 500
I should also say, when someone has an injury like this, there is chance the blood flow to the foot can be blocked. Garrison Heart of the 49'er almost had his foot cut off because of the same injury. Luckly after YEARS he was able to come back to the NFL. These types of injuries are most common in baseball. Jason Kendell who was with the Pirates had the same thing happen to him.

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:26 AM
  #42
Thalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
About four months ago, I was giving my mother a ride home in my Jeep. I pulled up along side what I thought was a pretty level parking spot on the road.

Apparently not b/c there was a slight slope on the passenger side and when my mom got out, she lost her footing and took a tumble down the embankment. Okay, it wasn't a cliff or anything (although I had tried that on previous occasions, lol), just a slight incline.

Turns out that she dislocated her shoulder and she ended up having surgery to put it back in. She also had a metal plate put in and it has taken her until now to fully recover but her range of motion is still not back to where it was.

I won't even begin to tell you how guilty I felt and how many housecleaning chores I had to do for her.

Anyway, I know Sturm is a professional athlete and all and my mom isn't. Although she was an awesome soccer player in her younger days but a dislocation is more serious than a lot of people think.

Thalia is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:29 AM
  #43
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
About four months ago, I was giving my mother a ride home in my Jeep. I pulled up along side what I thought was a pretty level parking spot on the road.

Apparently not b/c there was a slight slope on the passenger side and when my mom got out, she lost her footing and took a tumble down the embankment. Okay, it wasn't a cliff or anything (although I had tried that on previous occasions, lol), just a slight incline.

Turns out that she dislocated her shoulder and she ended up having surgery to put it back in. She also had a metal plate put in and it has taken her until now to fully recover but her range of motion is still not back to where it was.

I won't even begin to tell you how guilty I felt and how many housecleaning chores I had to do for her.

Anyway, I know Sturm is a professional athlete and all and my mom isn't. Although she was an awesome soccer player in her younger days but a dislocation is more serious than a lot of people think.
Yeah I broke my finger 3 weeks back and was hoping for a dislocation. I fiigured I'd be back playing hockey in no time. The doc said I was lucky it was a break and not a dislocation, and I didn't quite understand why until now.

I'm out for the season now though, so I'm stuck as a "coach" for my team.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:31 AM
  #44
Frolov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 706
vCash: 500
Best of luck to Sturm.

Frolov is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:34 AM
  #45
Frolov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Yeah I broke my finger 3 weeks back and was hoping for a dislocation. I fiigured I'd be back playing hockey in no time. The doc said I was lucky it was a break and not a dislocation, and I didn't quite understand why until now.

I'm out for the season now though, so I'm stuck as a "coach" for my team.
I broke my finger last year and I couldnt bend it for about 4 weeks then it got better but I still havn't gained 100% strenght back in my finger. And it wasn't realy a break but a minor fracture or chip off the tip of where my joint is.

Frolov is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 02:01 AM
  #46
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,571
vCash: 500
I wonder if he will be able to have the speed on the ice that he used to exhibit......I bet he has pins put in, at the ankle. This is a terrible injury. My dad did this going down the stars three months ago. He had to have surgery, was in a ton of pain.....and he just got out of the cast,etc. He is still limping....I hope Marco makes a full recovery. He is one of my favorite players in this league.

Enoch is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 02:21 AM
  #47
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
While the rest of us mere mortals would probably limp for the rest of our lives if such an injury occured to us, Sturm is a professional athlete. His training regiments should help him through this and I believe he'll be back good as new next season. It'll take him a long time to get back into game shape after the ankle heals, as he'll lose a lot of muscle in that leg. But I think he'll make a full recovery. An ankle dislocation is harder to come back from than a broken leg. Skating is harder on the ankles than the legs.

ehc73 is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 02:47 AM
  #48
Canadian Chris
Registered User
 
Canadian Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,192
vCash: 500
Best of luck indeed to Sturm....so not cool for this to happen to him.

And I agree with the rest of what you're saying. A break is often better than a severe sprain/dislocation. At least with a break, when it's healed you know for sure, a sprain or dislocation, it can feel good, but one wrong tweek and you're back to square one.

Canadian Chris is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:04 AM
  #49
quat
winsome, loathsome
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 9,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy
Marco Sturm Update: Now classified as a dislocated ankle.... no frature...

Great news!
Uh... actually, that CAN be much worse than a simple break. A break heals pretty solid in a couple of months, but it can take up to 9 for a sprain to get better! Plus, after a regular break, the bones will usually be stronger at the break, while a sprain will usually always be somewhat weaker and more prone to that injury again. :mad:

quat is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 04:25 AM
  #50
TVanek26*
 
TVanek26*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buffalo,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
I should also say, when someone has an injury like this, there is chance the blood flow to the foot can be blocked. Garrison Heart of the 49'er almost had his foot cut off because of the same injury. Luckly after YEARS he was able to come back to the NFL. These types of injuries are most common in baseball. Jason Kendell who was with the Pirates had the same thing happen to him.
Isn't that Robert Edwards?I thought Hearst shattered his knee...

This sucks for Marco Sturm and the sharks.Marleau eventually will need some help....

TVanek26* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.