HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Horrific Leg Injury to Marco Sturm

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 11:05 PM
kenabnrmal

vCash: 500
The dislocation is definitely good news, I would guess. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know if that means he'll have a chance to be back this season. When I saw it I was concerned about his career, so anything that tells me that this fine player will be back on the ice at some point is good news to me.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
McGuire just said on the TSN broadcast that they did x-rays and didn't find a fracture....apparently its a dislocation.
That's good news. Hopefully he can return before the season is over.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:12 PM
kenabnrmal

Apparently on the AP wire its being reported as a broken leg. I suppose time will tell, although I'd think the direct report from McGuire at the game would be most trustworthy

Old
03-05-2004, 11:13 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

ESPN is saying it's a broken leg.

With all the contradictory reports, I think it's best to wait tomorrow for the correct diagnosis.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:19 PM
jc4shrx

Send a message via AIM to jc4shrx
Sharks commentators have said several times in the last few minutes that it is a dislocation.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:19 PM
PavelBure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayouche5
Season still over even if it's not fractured ?
im guessing so, i dislocated my knee at a hockey game last year and was on crutches for 6 weeks and then had to go to rehab for a month

Old
03-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Dislocations can be worse than breaks - they usually result in a bunch of torn ligaments that take a long time to heal. This is a tough injury; I wish Marco a quick recovery.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:55 PM
wazee

Well...now in the Avs postgame show, they are saying it is BOTH a broken leg AND a dislocated ankle. The worst of both worlds...

Old
03-06-2004, 12:00 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Do the Sharks make a move now, being as how he is probably the second best forward on the Sharks?

Kinda works out positive for my Stars, though, who are 2 wins behind SJ.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

I have a friend who dislocated his ankle. He told me that it's the worst pain he ever felt in his life, and that includes a compound fracture of his leg.

It was so bad he actually went into shock...

Old
03-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy
Marco Sturm Update: Now classified as a dislocated ankle.... no frature...

Great news!

No thats not great news, it's almost worse. Imagine putting your foot on backwards. Thats what an ankle dislocation can be. Usually you tear some ligament as well.

Warning, graphic photos of a dislocated ankle

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/...hics/tran1.jpg
http://www.cbhs.org/sportsmedicine/images/ankle_1.jpg

Old
03-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Yayo

*faints*

Old
03-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
No thats not great news, it's almost worse. Imagine putting your foot on backwards. Thats what an ankle dislocation can be. Usually you tear some ligament as well.

Warning, graphic photos of a dislocated ankle

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/...hics/tran1.jpg
http://www.cbhs.org/sportsmedicine/images/ankle_1.jpg
OMG, that looks like the store manequins that I used to dress.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Old
03-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Verbal Kint*

Holy crap. Best of luck to Marco.

Touch-icing is one of the worst things about the NHL, its like adding spike strips to a Nascar track.

Also, those pictures look horrible!

Old
03-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

I should also say, when someone has an injury like this, there is chance the blood flow to the foot can be blocked. Garrison Heart of the 49'er almost had his foot cut off because of the same injury. Luckly after YEARS he was able to come back to the NFL. These types of injuries are most common in baseball. Jason Kendell who was with the Pirates had the same thing happen to him.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Thalia

About four months ago, I was giving my mother a ride home in my Jeep. I pulled up along side what I thought was a pretty level parking spot on the road.

Apparently not b/c there was a slight slope on the passenger side and when my mom got out, she lost her footing and took a tumble down the embankment. Okay, it wasn't a cliff or anything (although I had tried that on previous occasions, lol), just a slight incline.

Turns out that she dislocated her shoulder and she ended up having surgery to put it back in. She also had a metal plate put in and it has taken her until now to fully recover but her range of motion is still not back to where it was.

I won't even begin to tell you how guilty I felt and how many housecleaning chores I had to do for her.

Anyway, I know Sturm is a professional athlete and all and my mom isn't. Although she was an awesome soccer player in her younger days but a dislocation is more serious than a lot of people think.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
About four months ago, I was giving my mother a ride home in my Jeep. I pulled up along side what I thought was a pretty level parking spot on the road.

Apparently not b/c there was a slight slope on the passenger side and when my mom got out, she lost her footing and took a tumble down the embankment. Okay, it wasn't a cliff or anything (although I had tried that on previous occasions, lol), just a slight incline.

Turns out that she dislocated her shoulder and she ended up having surgery to put it back in. She also had a metal plate put in and it has taken her until now to fully recover but her range of motion is still not back to where it was.

I won't even begin to tell you how guilty I felt and how many housecleaning chores I had to do for her.

Anyway, I know Sturm is a professional athlete and all and my mom isn't. Although she was an awesome soccer player in her younger days but a dislocation is more serious than a lot of people think.
Yeah I broke my finger 3 weeks back and was hoping for a dislocation. I fiigured I'd be back playing hockey in no time. The doc said I was lucky it was a break and not a dislocation, and I didn't quite understand why until now.

I'm out for the season now though, so I'm stuck as a "coach" for my team.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Frolov

Best of luck to Sturm.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Yeah I broke my finger 3 weeks back and was hoping for a dislocation. I fiigured I'd be back playing hockey in no time. The doc said I was lucky it was a break and not a dislocation, and I didn't quite understand why until now.

I'm out for the season now though, so I'm stuck as a "coach" for my team.
I broke my finger last year and I couldnt bend it for about 4 weeks then it got better but I still havn't gained 100% strenght back in my finger. And it wasn't realy a break but a minor fracture or chip off the tip of where my joint is.

Old
03-06-2004, 02:01 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I wonder if he will be able to have the speed on the ice that he used to exhibit......I bet he has pins put in, at the ankle. This is a terrible injury. My dad did this going down the stars three months ago. He had to have surgery, was in a ton of pain.....and he just got out of the cast,etc. He is still limping....I hope Marco makes a full recovery. He is one of my favorite players in this league.

Old
03-06-2004, 02:21 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
While the rest of us mere mortals would probably limp for the rest of our lives if such an injury occured to us, Sturm is a professional athlete. His training regiments should help him through this and I believe he'll be back good as new next season. It'll take him a long time to get back into game shape after the ankle heals, as he'll lose a lot of muscle in that leg. But I think he'll make a full recovery. An ankle dislocation is harder to come back from than a broken leg. Skating is harder on the ankles than the legs.

Old
03-06-2004, 02:47 AM
Canadian Chris

Best of luck indeed to Sturm....so not cool for this to happen to him.

And I agree with the rest of what you're saying. A break is often better than a severe sprain/dislocation. At least with a break, when it's healed you know for sure, a sprain or dislocation, it can feel good, but one wrong tweek and you're back to square one.

Old
03-06-2004, 03:04 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy
Marco Sturm Update: Now classified as a dislocated ankle.... no frature...

Great news!
Uh... actually, that CAN be much worse than a simple break. A break heals pretty solid in a couple of months, but it can take up to 9 for a sprain to get better! Plus, after a regular break, the bones will usually be stronger at the break, while a sprain will usually always be somewhat weaker and more prone to that injury again. :mad:

Old
03-06-2004, 04:25 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
I should also say, when someone has an injury like this, there is chance the blood flow to the foot can be blocked. Garrison Heart of the 49'er almost had his foot cut off because of the same injury. Luckly after YEARS he was able to come back to the NFL. These types of injuries are most common in baseball. Jason Kendell who was with the Pirates had the same thing happen to him.
Isn't that Robert Edwards?I thought Hearst shattered his knee...

This sucks for Marco Sturm and the sharks.Marleau eventually will need some help....

Closed Thread