HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Can't believe it took me this long to watch...

Old
12-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Sobel

Is it bad that I laughed at the fact that Sobel couldn't even kill himself properly?

Quote:
In the late 1960s, Sobel shot himself in the head with a small-caliber pistol.[9] The bullet entered his left temple, passed behind his eyes, and exited out the other side of his head. This severed his optic nerves and left him blind.[9] He was later moved to a VA assisted living facility in Waukegan, Illinois. Sobel resided there for his last seventeen years until his death due to malnutrition on September 30, 1987.[9] No services were held for Sobel after his death.
Also, good job VA at letting someone starve. How does that even happen? Aren't patients hooked up to IVs if they won't/can't feed themselves?

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:52 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
It's inherently part of what makes a war movie/series a war movie/series, but yeah, I struggle with that element of them. Is it really hard to understand why someone might find them a bit tedious?

Band of Brothers is a bit different for me because it looks really beautiful (I loved that moment when Blithe started shooting), but long drawn out killing/shooting/explosion scenes in general (something like in Saving Private Ryan for example, which I didn't care for) aren't something that I'm always completely on board with. Should I just be appreciating the chaos, should I be emotionally invested in all the nameless faces dropping like flies, should I be excited and full of andrenaline as if I'm watching an action movie? It's just not something that consistently clicks with me.

But again, I loved episode 3
Well, I'm still not really sure I get it, especially describing them as "tedious," but I can appreciate that you know what you like and don't like.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:45 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Best show of all time IMO. Absolutely brilliant.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Well, I'm still not really sure I get it, especially describing them as "tedious," but I can appreciate that you know what you like and don't like.
Just out of curiosity, which element of the extra long battle scenes get you most? Is it any of the stuff I listed? I get into them when I'm zoned into a particular person or I have something inherently satisfying to additionally absorb such as beautiful cinematography. The only thing I'm saying is that with war movies/series, this doesn't always happen for me. Sometimes (not always, especially not in this show) I get too overpowered by endless firing, explosions, and mutilations and get sick of it/aesthetically drained by it. I expect disagreement, but I'm actually surprised that sounds incomprehensible to you.

If the main appeal is just intrigue that this actually happened at one point, I'm not really sure I get that.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 12-07-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:32 PM
SB164

Bastogne (ep. 6), the story of Medic Eugene Rowe, was perhaps the finest hour of television I've ever seen.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Bastogne (ep. 6), the story of Medic Eugene Rowe, was perhaps the finest hour of television I've ever seen.
Yeah I think that was probably my favorite episode too.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Tuggy

Just finished the series and loved every minute of it!

Looking through IMDB and had my mind blown to learn that the guy who played Malarkey is the voice for Steve on American Dad.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:22 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Yeah it was great in so many ways.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Shareefruck

I'm up to episode 9. I'm surprisingly not at all satisfied by "Why We Fight". I thought it was considered bar none the best episode of the series, but I honestly got very very little out of it.

Still haven't quite put my finger on how I feel about the series yet, but I don't have the same "best show ever" feeling that other posters have had.

My favorite episodes were Carentan and Bastogne, and I enjoyed all the episodes in between those two while not particularly loving the episodes before and after them

Old
12-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Astoria
KESLERKESLERKESLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I'm up to episode 9. I'm surprisingly not at all satisfied by "Why We Fight". I thought it was considered bar none the best episode of the series, but I honestly got very very little out of it.

Still haven't quite put my finger on how I feel about the series yet, but I don't have the same "best show ever" feeling that other posters have had.

My favorite episodes were Carentan and Bastogne, and I enjoyed all the episodes in between those two while not particularly loving the episodes before and after them
I know for me, what made me appreciate the series even more is the fact that I'm a WWII nerd. I read and watch just about anything regarding WWII. I always loved Ambrose's books and I really felt BoB did a superb job at translating a great book onto film/TV.

The addition of the real men of Easy Company recalling their experiences, their fears, their grief made it even more compelling.

But that's just me.... ; )

Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyllia View Post
I know for me, what made me appreciate the series even more is the fact that I'm a WWII nerd. I read and watch just about anything regarding WWII. I always loved Ambrose's books and I really felt BoB did a superb job at translating a great book onto film/TV.

The addition of the real men of Easy Company recalling their experiences, their fears, their grief made it even more compelling.

But that's just me.... ; )
Don't get me wrong, I really respect the show and think it's an incredible and a beautifully authentic effort (and if I decide I don't like the series by the time I'm done, I know I'm in the minority), but I am the complete opposite of you in general when it comes to my interest in war as a topic. The topic is like kryptonite for me, and I tend to like everything from the genre several notches less than most people do.

Distaste aside, it's still the best war-focused thing I've ever seen.

Old
12-16-2012, 01:36 AM
SilasAdams

Yes Rome is worth it

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote