HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik Lundqvist Playing time a burden?

View Poll Results: What is the result of Henrik's poor play over the past two months or so
The Defense has been terrible. Too many high-scoring chances. 68 75.56%
Loss of Focus 21 23.33%
Fatigue - Too many minutes on the ice 10 11.11%
Nagging Injury - Possiblly? 0 0%
He is fine. This is Vintage Lundqvist. 11 12.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Henrik Lundqvist Playing time a burden?

I have missed the past two games (I am on vacation and the games are on at like 2-3am here. I did manage to catch a few). but after what seemed like a vezina year for the King he has slowly fallen off that radar. His play had gotten increasing worse.
-From Number two behind Tim Thomas to top 10.
We all know when Lunqdvist is on a hot streak he steals games. He absolutely takes over and there's nothing nobody can do about it. If he is in the zone.. he is letting in 2 goals max.

Anyways the point behind that rant,
It seems over the past month or two he hasn't played a single lights out game. He is making all the saves he needs to make and then some. He rarely get's beat cleanly and pretty much holds it down. He has had to make LOADS of saves from some high-scoring area's because our defense has been Swiss cheese (Once again, Not the point of this thread). It seems he just hasn't made any of those spectacular saves he was making all of last year. Maybe his positioning is better but it just doesn't seem like vintage Lundqvist.

I started thinking about it and I think it's the fact that he plays too much. I know he has been top 5 in Minutes every year but it just seems like he doesn't have that energy anymore to make those last ditch saves or play in games where he is bombarded by the other team and just turns them all away.

I was thinking making it's time for Renney to start playing Vally a little more. He has proved to be an excellent backup that can handle himself and it seems to motivate the team when they know they don't have a brick wall behind them so why not start him a bit more.

Now, I want Lundqvist starting as much as possible when he's up to it. You would be crazy not to have Henrik start as much as possible as long as he is alright but anyone can tell he is not 100% right now. Maybe he has a small injury. Maybe Fatigue. Maybe somethings wrong in his personal life. But what we are seeing is not Classic Henrik.

We have 4 games in the next week(Starting the 3rd) and even more over that two week span. Mostly very offensive teams so we will see how Lundqvist plays after this nice 4 day break. (Hopefully he didn't party too hard ). What do you guys think his poor play has been a result of?

A)The Defense? - Still he's not making those diving saves. Some of those games he has let in like 4+ goals he still has not look bad but he certainly is not playing the same as he did last year or early this year.

B)Loss of Focus?

C)Fatigue? - He is ranked 2nd in minutes right now. However, his track record suggests he can handle these minutes...

D)Nagging Injury? - Nabakov, Loungo and Broduer got hurt so we never know what could happen. Is the King just fighting off an injury so we can fight for a playoff spot?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:12 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

It's overall team play--there's no easy games for Lundqvist, that's the biggest problem. There's no way even the best goaltender can save the day, every single game. Plus, he's playing on a team that has trouble scoring and without goals to work with, no goalie can win consistantly.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
It's overall team play--there's no easy games for Lundqvist, that's the biggest problem. There's no way even the best goaltender can save the day, every single game. Plus, he's playing on a team that has trouble scoring and without goals to work with, no goalie can win consistantly.
I'm not talking about winning. His overall play has been significantly lower then what we saw last year or even early this year. He's not stealing those 1-2 games a month or making those miraculous saves we are used to seeing. Saves you can't believe didn't go in and make you wonder how it didn't go in.

Old
01-01-2009, 06:32 AM
eco's bones

Henrik is the least of our problems. It basically comes down to this. Redden and Kalinin are playing like crap. Sometimes Roszival joins them. The forwards are not backchecking like at the start of the year. Numerous odd man rushes. They are depending on him to pull rabbits out of a hat every game all night long.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 07:25 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

It's a combination of two things, though he has every right to be able to do so with our lack of any defensive minded play in the past month and a half.

1) Our defense is crap. Henrik can rely on maybe 2-4 of our defensemen a night to do good things in front of him, and the rest just suck.

2) He's probably become increasingly frustrated at the fact that the team is not winning, which, in contrast, means he is not winning, and at the same time, he realizes we have a team that can barely score goals and there is too much pressure on him. It has probably gotten to him and there's no way his confidence is at the same level it was as in the beginning of the season (when he had that stretch of what I believe to be 9 games with 2 or less goals allowed in every single one).

Don't get me wrong. He's making big saves. He's just not making all the big saves like before. He's letting in soft ones, that's for sure, but he's entitled, if you understand the way in which I mean that.

We're so spoiled by his brilliant play as an absolutely mesmerizing goaltender that when this stuff is happening (that rough patch in every one of his seasons so far), we're just disappointed.

He'll get through it. And more importantly, so will the team.

Last edited by RMcDonagh: 01-01-2009 at 07:40 AM.
RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:30 AM
RichterLundqvist

He does this every year. When its After the all-star break and he's still playing like a pile of poo give me a ring and I'll worry....until then everyone should know by now this is how he plays at this time of year.

RichterLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 09:26 AM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterLundqvist View Post
He does this every year. When its After the all-star break and he's still playing like a pile of poo give me a ring and I'll worry....until then everyone should know by now this is how he plays at this time of year.

Agreed. That said, he has 1-2 bad months every year throughout his career and its always around january.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Chimp

Henrik hasn't played bad. He's been average. And average on this team will look miserable, because the defense in front of him is miserable.

An average Henrik is still pretty darn good, but it's not enough to save this pathetic team's performance. He's saving what he should, but he needs to save what he shouldn't be supposed to save for this team to win.

He hasn't let in those huge numbers of softies that some seem to think. He pretty much always saves the initial shot, which is what you could ask of your goaltender, unless it's a breakaway, oddman rush or a screened shot/ deflection (which he faces a zillion of every game). Then he has sometimes given up some bad rebound, which is bound to happen over 40 games. And then the defense is never there for him to help him clear.

In the words of Henrik himself, sort of from my memory: "Shots are one thing, scoring chances are something else. Even if a goalie is on his game, he will statistically give up a goal on 1/6 scoring chances. We have given up about 20 chances a game lately, you do the math."

So, even on his game, Henrik will statistically give up over 3.00 GAA every game the way we are playing now.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-01-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:20 AM
ThirdEye

I don't really see him letting in soft goals, which is why I direct the blame on the defense. In the beginning of the season he was making 2-3 "extra" really good saves each game to keep the games moderately close. However, you it's too hard to stay sharp for longer than 20-25 games without catching a break. Now those 2-3 good chances are ending up in the back of the net.

Nevertheless, he still playing relatively well on most nights making some great saves. Our defense is just brutal about 75-80% of the time. You won't convince me otherwise

We have some decent defenseman, but as a whole they don't play well at all. This is counter to the Devils, who have a bunch of relatively low profile defenseman that on most nights keep the opposing team shooting from terrible angles all game long. It's not really surprising that they're doing just as well, if not better, without Brodeur

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

The #1 reason has been the defense, or lack of.

But its not like he has been playing out of his mind like he normally does, so i factor in a little bit that hes unfocused at times during the strech.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Celestial Black

I kind of feel like because of the way the team has been playing in front of him that he is playing more tense/stiff, always waiting for something wrong to happen rather than poised to stop the opportunity.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:09 PM
92hatchattack

Guys, Henrik sucks in december... it seems to be a pattern.. and generaly the team follows that pattern. January is here, Henriksa gonna get hot and we are going to win.

Sure, this all doesnt mean i am happy with our team right now... we need some major help,. but i see us getting it together a little in the near future.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysARanger View Post
Agreed. That said, he has 1-2 bad months every year throughout his career and its always around january.
I wouldn't really say that he has been bad or has had a bad month this year. He has been a normal goaltender in the net. He has been doing what most goalies would be doing on this team right now. It's not fair to say he has had a bad month with what has been put in front of him.

Legitimately, am I the only one who sees this team give up at least 1 - 2 breakaways a game? Thats not normal for most teams. It's not. I see plenty of hockey and most teams don't give up a breakaway on a night by night basis. Just as they don't give up multiple odd man rushes to the team that is penalty killing! He has had to deal with far too much.

The #'s don't mean everything. Put Tim Thomas, whom has cushy numbers b/c he is on Boston, where Lundqvist is playing, and you'll see Thomas take a nose dive on the leader boards. Period. Swap him out with Luongo, Brodeur, Nabakov, etc; they'll still let up plenty of goals. It's only natural when you face quality chances consistently.

So, I still don't think we have seen him play a legit "bad" month.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I'm not talking about winning. His overall play has been significantly lower then what we saw last year or even early this year. He's not stealing those 1-2 games a month or making those miraculous saves we are used to seeing. Saves you can't believe didn't go in and make you wonder how it didn't go in.
And my contention is that because of the breakdown in over all team defense, Lundqvist is seeing more quality chances than he's had to in the past. No goaltender can do it alone.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:16 PM
94now

I think it is Loss of Focus. That is normal thing during long season. Whoever think he doesn't let softies, think and look again (5:4 loss to WAS for instance). The solutions for such period normal for any G are basically three:

1. Tightening team defense. Rangers tried and failed there mostly because of poor defensive performance of our centres. While Dubi is not supposed to be a cornerstone on defensive corps, Drury and Gomez were hired and are paid big $$$ for the job they failing. While our defensemen are adequate during Henke good periods, in the slump, they cannot elevate their game to bail him out. In other words, our D-men cannot play any better, not by much anyway...
2. Scoring more. This not the option for NYR. We simply do not have personnel to do that consistently. Some splashes may occur, especially against under par Gs , but it is not what is needed.
3. Play back up G more often. Look at almost every team that done well thus far. They all do that. I may be wrong, but Rangers don't have anything close to " hot back up" they've got in Vali.

Based on the above it is up to Drury and Gomez to bail out Henrik at this point by playing better in our zone.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:22 PM
crabcz

70% Defense
30% Lundqvist

crabcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Macke*

You can tell the Rangers not getting Sundin took a lot out of him.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Henrik hasn't played bad. He's been average. And average on this team will look miserable, because the defense in front of him is miserable.

An average Henrik is still pretty darn good, but it's not enough to save this pathetic team's performance. He's saving what he should, but he needs to save what he shouldn't be supposed to save for this team to win.
Yeah, Don't get me wrong. He still is playing well. Just not Henrik well. You guys are right though. He always hits this rough patch around this time of the year. Kind of odd.

I know you guys say he is going to turn it on after the all-star break but I think that was a big contribution from Jagr. He would turn it on then and the offense certainly helps a goalie

Old
01-02-2009, 01:42 AM
battlerex99

I think he's just tired of the swiss cheese defense and is starting to feel despondent.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 09:07 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

The Rangers and Lundqvist usually have slumps in December for whatever reason.

Probably because Renney pushes them too hard coming into the year, but at least this year they rattled off a great start, so it makes up for it.

He'll be fine, but the defense around him has to improve.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 09:34 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Well, the Rangers have 4 days off heading into tomorrow night and theyll need it.

5 games in 8 nights coming up. Big week here, if they can get 3 wins ill be very happy. 7-8 points would be a huge success imo.

Going back to TFP - Vally should be getting a start somewhere in there... in Buffalo or Ottawa i would suppose.

Also, January will be the month of having Crosby shoved down our throats. 12 games this month and a 1/4 of them against the Pens, wonderful.

8 road games. Ouch, tough month.

Old
01-02-2009, 09:36 AM
1940rip

It's definitely the D. The other day, how many Icelanders were left alone in front of the net without being touched? We were lucky to get a win. It's been the same most of the year. Girardi, Staal, and Mara have been pulling their weight, the rest have been virtually useless. Particularly, Redden. What a waste of money and ice time. I mean really, this guy's head has been planted firmly in his rearend all season long. Guaranteed, this guy leads the D in turnovers. So much for veteran presence on the blueline. Oh, and wasn't he supposed to HELP our PP?? Geez. No, nothing's wrong with Henrik that some solid D can't cure.

1940rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 09:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

My idiot boss was talking about Lundqvist and how he is a "mediocre goalie, at best". He "flops around too much"

I was trying to explain how sure, he hasnt exactly been lights out lately, but he carried this team most of the season. Its the defense thats terrible. He didnt really agree. Then i asked him who hed rather have on the team and he said Fluery, Miller or Brodeur.

I said good luck with that. Of course you'd want Brodeur you moron, who else? he didnt know. Didnt even think of the big goalies in the West. of course. I asked him why has Henrik been voted a Vezina finalist the last three years... "Oh, they dont know what they are talking about..."

I can't stand when casual fans just watch the highlights and think they can carry an argument. I feel like smacking them in the head with a tack hammer. Shut up. Thats got to be the most frustrating thing being a huge hockey fan, dealing with that ****.

There's a huge Devil fan here I work with and she looked at me and just shook her head.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-02-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old
01-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Fire Lundqvist!

I could probably dig back and pull up an identical thread from last January. Probably the January before that as well. He does this every year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Chimp

I hear so much about Lundqvist slumping in december every year. What about the team in front of him every december, every year?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote