HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Streit, tied with Boyle for most points by a dman.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2009, 01:29 PM
  #101
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
First you call Streit an "incredible" hockey player and then you call our goaltending (well, Price) a joke, when Price had two shut outs in the playoffs.

You're the greatest person to ever live ever at exaggerations
I also had Halak listed in there, though he played just 1-game. I also called our goaltending a joke in the Philadelphia series, but way to misquote me.

And I guess we'll need to agree to disagree on Streit.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:04 PM
  #102
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Streit is no worse defensively than Brisebois and he adds another dimension to the power play. He's not a top four defenseman when playing 5 on 5 but he is a top two defenseman when we are on the PP.

It's a mtter of deciding how much emphasis should be put on the PP vs 5 on 5. In this case it looked like Gainey thought O'Byrne would be a better 5 on 5 player than Streit and thought Streit could be replaced on the PP by a forward.

Neither of those have worked out as planned and now we are using Brisebois to fill Streit's role last year and that is a serious drop-off in talent.

In hindsight, if Montreal had signed hm for $2.5 million it would have been a bargain but GM's can't make decisions with the benefit of hindsight.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:25 PM
  #103
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,653
vCash: 500
Frankly, O Bryne is not ready and Streit would not have given the Habs a cup. If your going to pay a d-man 4+mil per he had better bring more then a PP shot.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:52 PM
  #104
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,327
vCash: 500
The whole bad team statement has its other side. The fact the Isle are a bad team with basically ZERO expectations at even making the playoffs and lacking much quality allows an offensive guy like Streit succeed.

The guy can get a tonne of ice time with all the PP time he wants and allowed to play in an environment where making a mistake doesn't really matter because hell, you aren't a a winning team anyhow. That extra pinch or chance you wouldn't normally take because you are in a playoff push is out the window.

He is a good player however i think he benefits more from this situation than Montreal because of lack of surrounding talent and expectations.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 05:02 PM
  #105
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
People are ripping on Streit while Brisebois is getting ice time.

Face it Gainey could have got him cheap but he didn't and made another mistake in an ever growing list.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 05:47 PM
  #106
NewGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
People are ripping on Streit while Brisebois is getting ice time.

Face it Gainey could have got him cheap but he didn't and made another mistake in an ever growing list.
And still the Habs are a much better team than when Gainey first took over. He must be doing something right.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 05:52 PM
  #107
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
And still the Habs are a much better team than when Gainey first took over. He must be doing something right.
Well playoffs wise they havnt improved but they are a much better team mainly thanks to great drafting. Gainey hasn't made good trades or dealt with free agents well at all and I am not the type to sit here and fawn over everything he does but the team is stronger today than it was 5 years ago.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 05:53 PM
  #108
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'm not even going to bother reading through this thread because people are just going to call him bad defensively, which isn't the case.

Go check with Isles fans, they definitely would not agree. Streit was improving each season and this year was no different. His offensive game is more well-rounded and his defensive game has improved ten-fold.

But, people don't watch the Islanders and are too stupid to realize that he was improving every season here.

The guy is an incredible hockey player, plain and simple. He was a mistake by Gainey that I'm sure he'd love to have another chance at.
He's so great defensively that he couldn't beat out O'Byrne and Brisebois for a spot on defense last year...


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-02-2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Deleted a quoted posted.
Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:05 PM
  #109
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Gainey hasn't made good trades or dealt with free agents well at all and I am not the type to sit here and fawn over everything he does but the team is stronger today than it was 5 years ago.
He got Kovalev and Koivu signed for under $5M, he dealt an albatross in Theodore in one of the best cap savings in recent NHL memory, he got a first round pick and Josh Gorges for Craig Rivet, he picked up Kostopolous for nothing and it was his decision to go with Carey Price at the end of the 2005 Draft. He took Timmins opinion but could have went, "Nah, I like Staal better" and went with Staal. He went with Price.

Some people expect perfection. It's ridiculous.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:05 PM
  #110
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
He's a serious candidate for the Norris trophy.

Only a fool wouldn't miss him.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:13 PM
  #111
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
I miss him. Any 3rd line player that puts up 62 points can have a spot on my team. He may have been a liability some times, but he more then made up for it with his offence. Remember the game against the sabres last year. Streit goes from goat (BAD giveaway behind the net) to hero with some delightful offence to tie and win the game in overtime. He is no where near as poor as we hab fans often make him out to be.

Kikizaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
  #112
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
He's a serious candidate for the Norris trophy.

Only a fool wouldn't miss him.
Norris candidate? Give me a break! One must play defense to be considered!

Then call me a fool. We didn't have the cap space for him and he couldn't beat freakin' O'Byrne and Brisebois on defense on our team! Fool... yes!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:24 PM
  #113
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
He's a serious candidate for the Norris trophy.

Only a fool wouldn't miss him.
Serious in who's book?

Fanboys?

Right.

He may not even win "New York Islander" of the year, let alone a Norris trophy. If I could have any blueliner from the Islanders, it'd likely be Witt. And I like Streit.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:29 PM
  #114
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
Good for Streit, happy for him.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:41 PM
  #115
LBislander
 
LBislander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
He's so great defensively that he couldn't beat out O'Byrne and Brisebois for a spot on defense last year...


You realize who you just quoted, right?
No idea. But he wasn't the only one praising Streit. I was just too lazy to quote everyone who misses him.

And I believe that he was right in his assessment of Streit. He is a GREAT player.


Last edited by LBislander: 01-01-2009 at 06:51 PM.
LBislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:42 PM
  #116
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Norris candidate? Give me a break! One must play defense to be considered!

Then call me a fool. We didn't have the cap space for him and he couldn't beat freakin' O'Byrne and Brisebois on defense on our team! Fool... yes!
Streit has been good to very good in his own end. I realize he wasn't that effective for Montreal. But, the fact that you are basing your argument on issues like his play last year tells me that you've not bothered to ever watch him as an Islander.

He will almost certainly get votes for the Norris. He won't win, of course, but he'll get some consideration.

I understand you guys are irked that he left the Habs, but that doesn't change the reality that he has been a total stud for the Islanders.

Oh, and just because a guy goes on to do good things in another organization doesn't meant that letting him go was a mistake for your team, given your payroll and particular needs. I don't follow the Habs very closely, but even if Streit turns into an All Star, there might still have been very good reasons for the Habs to show him the door. Its all about each team's own situation.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:45 PM
  #117
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Any of you guys actually basing your opinion on watching him play? I am, I've watched a fair share of Isles games...and he gets owned on D like he always has. Certainly not worth the dough he's making.
Bullshot. He has been quite effective in his own end. He certainly doens't get "owned."

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
  #118
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
The book was out on our powerplay during the playoffs last year

Pressure, pressure, pressure

Streit was shooting at legs all the time and I remember hearing Pedneault whining about that. He was struggling and so was the entire team on the PP.

Yes, the power play may have been better this season with Streit on the right point, but it's pure speculation and we'll never know, especially after the debacle last year...

He's having a great season, good for him, he really deserves what is happening to him, but his team is dead last and the Habs are doing great without him.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:59 PM
  #119
tycho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Streit would have signed vor 2.5 or even 2 million

There is an interview with Streit available under [1] (german). It was published by a very reliable swiss newspaper called Neue Zürcher Zeitung. It says:

Quote:
[...]Wenn Ihnen die Canadiens zu Weihnachten einen Kontrakt über 2,5 Millionen Jahresgage angeboten hätten, wären Sie geblieben?

Ja sicher, ohne Zögern auch für drei Jahre zu zwei Millionen.[...]
This translates to (translated by myself as good as I can):

Quote:
[...]If the Canadiens had offered you a contract over 2.5 million a year for christmas, would you have stayed?

Yes of course. Without hesitation. Even for three years over 2 million. [...]


[1] http://www.nzz.ch/nachrichten/panora..._1.777205.html

tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 07:17 PM
  #120
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Streit took the money and is the one of the worst teams in the league. He could have stayed with the Habs and won for less money. He is more to blame than Gainey. Greed over winning.
I hate people that talk like you. Stop pretending that you'd turn down millions of dollars to do the exact same job. Its not greed, it getting what you can out of life just like the rest of us would do.

Internet people are so fake.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 07:19 PM
  #121
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Norris candidate? Give me a break! One must play defense to be considered!

Then call me a fool. We didn't have the cap space for him and he couldn't beat freakin' O'Byrne and Brisebois on defense on our team! Fool... yes!
Read below.. He's an Islanders fan.

And most of their fanbase feels the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Streit has been good to very good in his own end. I realize he wasn't that effective for Montreal. But, the fact that you are basing your argument on issues like his play last year tells me that you've not bothered to ever watch him as an Islander.

He will almost certainly get votes for the Norris. He won't win, of course, but he'll get some consideration.

I understand you guys are irked that he left the Habs, but that doesn't change the reality that he has been a total stud for the Islanders.

Oh, and just because a guy goes on to do good things in another organization doesn't meant that letting him go was a mistake for your team, given your payroll and particular needs. I don't follow the Habs very closely, but even if Streit turns into an All Star, there might still have been very good reasons for the Habs to show him the door. Its all about each team's own situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Yes, the power play may have been better this season with Streit on the right point, but it's pure speculation and we'll never know, especially after the debacle last year...
We will never know..

But he is 2nd among the entire NHL for powerplay points (20) this season, just 1 point behind Niklas Backstrom.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-02-2009 at 04:24 AM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 07:21 PM
  #122
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post

Yes, the power play may have been better this season with Streit on the right point, but it's pure speculation and we'll never know, especially after the debacle last year...
Yes speculation, thats it. Its all speculation to say a great pp specialist would improve the pp. Come on, thats like saying its pure speculation that adding J-Bo improves the d corps.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 07:25 PM
  #123
bipolarhabfan
Registered User
 
bipolarhabfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
The book was out on our powerplay during the playoffs last year

Pressure, pressure, pressure

Streit was shooting at legs all the time and I remember hearing Pedneault whining about that. He was struggling and so was the entire team on the PP.

Yes, the power play may have been better this season with Streit on the right point, but it's pure speculation and we'll never know, especially after the debacle last year...

He's having a great season, good for him, he really deserves what is happening to him, but his team is dead last and the Habs are doing great without him.
+1.

The opposition caught onto what it was we were doing on the PP. However, the Habs coaching staff and, especially the players, did not do a sufficient job at the execution side of the equation late in the year last season and into this season. We need to keep it simple and place bodies in front of the net. No more cross ice passes to no one please!!!!!!!! I think Streit would have helped in the PP side of affairs, however but would have compromised our defensive game.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
  #124
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I understand you guys are irked that he left the Habs
For the love of Christ. Stop saying this, people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Oh, and just because a guy goes on to do good things in another organization doesn't meant that letting him go was a mistake for your team, given your payroll and particular needs. I don't follow the Habs very closely, but even if Streit turns into an All Star, there might still have been very good reasons for the Habs to show him the door. Its all about each team's own situation.
That's what it comes down to. You have to realize the Habs had a very short window to sign him before setting their sights on Hossa. During that window, they looked at a guy who had 50 successful games on the PP in his 2nd year. A soft player that was primarily a 4th liner during 5 on 5, playing for a soft team, over the age of 30 and asking for over 2 million for 3 years from a team that will be up against the cap for years....


Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 01-01-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:38 PM
  #125
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho View Post
There is an interview with Streit available under [1] (german). It was published by a very reliable swiss newspaper called Neue Zürcher Zeitung. It says:



This translates to (translated by myself as good as I can):





[1] http://www.nzz.ch/nachrichten/panora..._1.777205.html
Won't be good enough for some.....they'll say something about the translation or ask for the tape....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.