HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

From the NHL Talk board...What is the worst move our organization ever made?

Old
01-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Nemchinov13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Kondratiev, which if I'm not mistaken translates to "totally gutless and hates body contact" in Russian.
Not quite, but close enough. The guy made me feel ashamed to be Russian.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Fletch

Esa and Nemchinov...

you guys are absolutely correct. Not sure where my head's at. I do remember watching Kevin Stevens handle Zubov like a rag doll at some point, which precipated that trade. The 90s are becoming fuzzy to me. The 70s and 80s are already out of my head so I'm not even talking about those trades.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The Zubov trade actually included Ray Ferraro and Bruce Driver. They weren't much of a consolation prize, but I figured I'd mention it. I remember a lot of talk about signing Driver to allow Neil to move Zubov, with Nedved already half-way out the door because Ferraro was here.

I was out of the country when Driver was signed and remember calling my friend to find out if it happened. When he said it did, I told him, "I guess now we have Robitaille and someone for Nedved and Zubov done".

At the time it seemed like a big improvement for the team to add Robitaille for nothing up front while replacing Nedved with Ferraro, and on defense, we'd have Ulf+Driver for Zubov, which didn't seem too bad.

Most people thought Ulf+Driver is an improvement on Zubov, who was getting slaughtered on the boards, and Ferraro=Nedved, while the addition of Luc Robitaille would mean an extra 50-55 goals. A lot of people thought he'd break Adam's record. Instead, he got 23, less than half of what everyone thought he'd get.

We also signed Stu Grimson that year, but Detroit matched it.

And then the hammer dropped when Larmer retired. That screwed over the team completely and led to the Ferraro+Norstrom, etc for Kurri, Churla and McSorley.

If we had Grimson, we wouldn't need Churla (Stu was better). Larmer was better than Kurri, so we wouldn't have needed him. And if Driver didn't suddenly begin to blow, we probably wouldn't ever go after McSorley.

That trade left a hole for the present (Ferraro in the center) and the future (Norstrom).

If Larmer didn't retire and Detroit hadn't matched Stu Grimson, I bet we'd have won the Cup that year, even if Driver sucked.

We were leading the league in points as of 2/1/06. Take the same team and add Larmer+Grimson, and they'd probably have enough strength to survive the rough spot in February. In March, Neil would've done something along the lines of Marchant for MacTavish, as opposed to a major overhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Those were real stinkers. I also think the Zubov trade was bad. Even at the time. The one trade I find to suck a lot that would have affected the team today was
Savard + 1st (Saprykin) for Hlavac + 1st (Lundmark) + I think a 3rd that was traded back to Calgary.
We got one season of the Czechmates and Savard has gone on to be a number one center scoring at 1+ ppg for the last 7 seasons. Savard means we don't sign Gomez (although the same amount of money would probably be tied up) but our management has always had a size complex.

Regardless, we should all smile as our "worse moves ever" list can't hold a candle to the Islanders.

Last edited by Beacon: 01-02-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Fletch

Sml

the Rangers had their chance at Savard a couple offseasons ago - 5 years, $25MM, something I wanted them to jump all over. Oh well, the steal of the century wasn't meant to be. Thought that was an easy one.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:06 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

1) Middleton for Hodge

2) Zubov and Nedved for Robitaille and Ulf

3) NOT trading Zubov and Nedved for Selanne in 1995

4) Leetch for a couple of soft Europeans

5) Not resigning Mess in 1997

---Ridley and Miller for Carpenter was bad, but lets not forget the Rangers won 3 division titles in the seven years after the trade

--Giving up the 5th overall pick in 1988 for signing Bergeron (Gelinas Roenick Selanne, Brindamour were 7-10)

---Trading Dave Gagner for that miserable scrub Gronstrand

--Getting Ray Sheppard for a dollar then letting him walk for nothing

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:07 AM
eco's bones

As trades go--the worst was Middleton for Hodge. I know a lot of posters here probably never saw either but it's kind of equivalent to say the Rangers giving up Zherdev today for say Owen Nolan or Gary Roberts. Rick was pretty much at the beginning of a career and it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the HOF some day. Hodge was absolutely washed up. The trade was made somewhat to make Espo feel more comfortable in New York--reuniting him with one of his pals. Hodge played that one year and the next year went to the minors and never resurfaced. That was a bad bad deal.

The Ridley-Miller thing was also horrible as was the deal that sent Norstrom to LA.
Hard to put the Espo or Zubov deals in the same class. The Rangers at least got some serviceable players back that contributed for a while. Some of our better deals came at Sather's expense--Messier, Graves for Mallette, Beukeboom.

As for coaches we've had a lot of bad ones. Larry Popien, Jean Guy Talbot, Ted Sator, Muckler, Trottier, Low.

A lot of bad first rounders as well--Brendl, Lundmark, Montoya, Jessiman and a lot of bad luck with Cherneski, Blackburn and Cherepanov.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:37 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The summer of 1999 free agent bust bonanza-Theo Fleury,Val Kamensky,Tim Taylor,Slyvain Lefebvre,Stephane Quintal,Kirk McLean
Don't hate on Crackhead Theo

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:41 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
and a lot of bad luck with Cherneski, Blackburn and Cherepanov.
Agreed. Not bad picks at all. They all would've been great players had they been here, especially Alexei

Blackburn's injury was tragic, but had it not occurred, we probably wouldn't have Lundqvist right now.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:45 AM
LETSGORANGERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Yea what about Espo trading Ridley and Miller for Carpenter
Sickening, I knew I forgot that one for a reason.

LETSGORANGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:54 AM
LETSGORANGERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
two words ...Mike Gartner. Two more words Tony Amonte
Hard to argue these because they won and ended a 54 year drought.

Now if they would not have won it all, they would have been horrible moves, as would the Weight deal, he's going to be what the 72nd or 73rd guy to hit 1,000 points?

That being said I would not make such deals to go for it all now that the 1940 curse has been broken.

I'm not sure sacrificing the future like that would make sense for us now, and having a cap does not help either.

LETSGORANGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:55 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

From A Devils fan prospective trading Zubov was the worst move. HE KILLED US when he was a Ranger. KILLED US.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:05 AM
nyrtrublue

Worst move i think would probably be hiring sather

nyrtrublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 09:44 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!