HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Becoming A ref

Old
01-02-2009, 05:06 AM
Getzlaf the Great

vCash: 500
Becoming A ref

anyone in here have experience being a ref? How much do you usually make? how many games do you do a week? how do you become certified?

Getzlaf the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:50 AM
Gino 14

Where are you from? It makes a difference in the process, pretty much the whole procedure.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:41 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Tried reffing in intramural at college. Was much harder than I thought it would be.

Always stick to your guns even if you are wrong and don't fall is all I have to say.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Stripes

I'm a Level 3 in Canada. I've been officiating for 10 years.

Contact our local minor hockey association. They will have information about how to register for the annual mandatory clinic.

In Canada, clinics are run anywhere from late August to early October, so you're out of luck for this season.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Red Dragon

why do want diry looks everywhere you go?

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
why do want diry looks everywhere you go?
May for money?

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:20 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45flight View Post
May for money?
I live in NEPA and was considering reffing, too. There's a rink down the street from my house, and I know in Massachusetts (where I'm from) you can pretty much make your own hours and ref as often or not as you'd like. Same in PA?

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Gino 14

For USAH, you can check your local rink and see if you can make contact with an official there or check the web for a nearby organization. You'll have to wait till after next August to take a clinic so you can start games next fall. As far as games, most places are hurting for refs so if you're interested and put forth the effort you should be able to start picking up games right away. Don't expect to get too many games till you get a few games under your belt.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Larionov

I officiated for 19 seasons, and I can tell you this much -- there are far easier ways to make money. If cash is amongst your top reasons for doing it, you won't last very long. You really need to have a tremendous passion for the game, and a thick skin. Longtime NHL official Vern Buffey (now deceased) once called it an, "indifference to criticism", which was a really good way to put it. You have to learn to completely ignore the crowd -- I very quickly managed to treat the crowd as background noise, kind of like the machines humming in a factory. If you listen at all to anything said from the crowd, you are doomed. None of this means that officials shouldn't listen to people to find ways to improve -- the trick is finding the RIGHT people, i.e. experienced older officials, old hockey hands who have the best interests of the game at heart, etc.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Getzlaf the Great

i meant becoming a ref in the nhl? I assume you just apply for it but obviously they only pick certain people.

Getzlaf the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzlaf the Great View Post
i meant becoming a ref in the nhl? I assume you just apply for it but obviously they only pick certain people.
To become an NHL official, you need to work your way up through the ranks. Nobody applies for the job, the NHL only selects the best of the best out of Major Junior in Canada and NCAA/Minor Pro in the USA to enter the AHL/NHL program.

The average NHL official doesn't get his first NHL game until he is anywhere between 28-32 years old (not a hardline rule, but I would say it's the average). Considering kids can start officiating when they are 12 years old, every NHL rookie official likely has at least 10-15, if not 20 full years of training from the grassroots level on upward. Some officials in the NHL have played junior/college hockey and got into officiating when their playing careers ended as a way to stay in the game, and some started officiating as a kid with a dream of making the NHL. They really are no different than players in terms of what it takes to get to the NHL, and there are only 70 officiating jobs compared to 700 playing jobs.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote