HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stamkos' Shooting Percentage

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2009, 02:37 AM
Goose

vCash: 500
Stamkos' Shooting Percentage

I was looking through some stats and two really caught my attention:

Steven Stamkos... 81 Shots (Rookie Leader), 4.9% Shooting (One of the Rookie Worst).

I really like Stamkos, but I haven't had a chance to see much of him this year. Is he just firing shots at the net from all angles, not passing etc., or are all those shots a result of decent opportunities that simply aren't clicking for the kid right now?

Also, I notice he's got one of the worst rookie +/- at -11. I'm assuming that's largely a result of where Tampa is in the standings moreso than a reflection on his poor defensive play, but is he a little worse defensively than you guys had expected?

Old
01-02-2009, 02:44 AM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

He has to work on his release with the shot. That's just too slow for NHL to be effective.

Old
01-02-2009, 02:57 AM
KenAF

Backstrom was around 5% at the mid-way point last season as well. It was even worse than that, because Backstrom had the highest ratio of missed shots to SOGs on the team. There were many plays where he had a wide open net and either "shanked" the shot or shot it wide or high of the net.

Backstrom's shot last season vs. this season is night and day. The velocity and accuracy of his shot has improved dramatically. That just goes to show what more confidence and another year of practice and weight training can do.

Old
01-02-2009, 03:16 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Nah, its just that Stamkos sucks and the Lightning should deal him quick while they can still get a 4th rounder or something for him...

Old
01-02-2009, 03:33 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
He has to work on his release with the shot. That's just too slow for NHL to be effective.
You're almost exactly right. He shoots hard and accurately, but that's because he takes time to completely load up on every single shot. A quick release is the most important factor at higher levels of play. Heck, it even helps a lot in beer league.

Old
01-02-2009, 11:33 AM
stammerhammer91

he is getting a lot of chances, some of them are wide open, as he gets older he will start to bury them.

he is only 18 years old.

Closed Thread