HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who am I? 13 mins a night; 0 goals, -10...

Old
01-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Who am I? 13 mins a night; 0 goals, -10...

and 1 measley asssit and little else in the last 18 games but I keep playing no matter what..Must be the style points I get for skating hard..and it is always my linemate's fault that I can't produce (all 5-6 of them!)...Oh yeah, and numbers don't matter..

OK, ok, just having some fun and, yes, SJostrom is a decent PKer and is good player to have for the 4th line/black ace roles but I don't think there is another coach in the league that would be skating him every single night with this lack of contribution outside the PK...At least Renney has put him back on the "4th Line" where he belongs the last two games....Still a benching/sitting might do Frederick the Great some good...and also give Fritsche a shot...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
I have 1 goal is 26+ games,3 assists to show for my "efforts' and if i don't watch my back a guy who has sat out 20 or so games will pass me in goals scored.

who am i ?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:02 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
I have 1 goal is 26+ games,3 assists to show for my "efforts' and if i don't watch my back a guy who has sat out 20 or so games will pass me in goals scored.

who am i ?
DUBINSKY!!

I win.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Duponttime*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
and 1 measley asssit and little else in the last 18 games but I keep playing no matter what..Must be the style points I get for skating hard..and it is always my linemate's fault that I can't produce (all 5-6 of them!)...Oh yeah, and numbers don't matter..

OK, ok, just having some fun and, yes, SJostrom is a decent PKer and is good player to have for the 4th line/black ace roles but I don't think there is another coach in the league that would be skating him every single night with this lack of contribution outside the PK...At least Renney has put him back on the "4th Line" where he belongs the last two games....Still a benching/sitting might do Frederick the Great some good...and also give Fritsche a shot...
Yes but Sjostrom is so much better than Fritsche. To be a little fair to Sjostrom, Betts might be one of the worst offensive players in NHL history. While it's not his primary role, he instantly kills the offensive ability of any player on his line. If Sather had a brain he would trade Betts now. He isn't going to resign him because Anisimov needs a roster spot. Betts probably has a little value now to teams who lack defensive play from their forwards.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
DUBINSKY!!

I win.
Here's your prize!

Old
01-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Duponttime*

Quote:

who am i ?
I wonder if you meant Korpikoski who has one of the highest skill sets of any young Rangers forward and is playing the first 29 games of his career. Yeah, let's sit him.

Old
01-02-2009, 03:11 PM
LETSGORANGERS

I have 2 goals in my last 10 games and I never play, (12 games on the season)

I work my ass off and I should be in the lineup every night!!!

Who am I?

LETSGORANGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Duponttime*

Would that be the same Czech player who has 1 g 1 a in 17 career playoff games and spends all night on his butt vs. any physical team?

Old
01-02-2009, 03:17 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Interesting, rip a guy who is not only playing on an offensively horrid line, but who has shown he's got hands given the chance. Yes, as Ranger fans, we all know the world is coming to an end. But why do we consistently look to dim even the faintest of bright spots on the team?

Given the Fritsche v. Sjostrom battle, I feel Fritsche should get some time too. But we don't have the room, and if we're going to pick one over the other, I stick with Freddy over Danny anytime. Interesting topic, I guess the other ones are beating a dead horse so since Freddie hasn't been an all star, he deserves to be in the press box, eh?

Last edited by NYRSinceBirth: 01-02-2009 at 03:23 PM.
NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
SouvenirCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETSGORANGERS View Post
I have 2 goals in my last 10 games and I never play, (12 games on the season)

I work my ass off and I should be in the lineup every night!!!

Who am I?
Mike Pelino

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duponttime View Post
I wonder if you meant Korpikoski who has one of the highest skill sets of any young Rangers forward and is playing the first 29 games of his career. Yeah, let's sit him.
i said in the last 26 not in 26 so obviously i mean someone else
(korpokoski was also sent down this person was not ---------------DUBINSKY)

Old
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
ThisYearsModel

Sjostrom has been deemed valuable for his shootout success, I guess. He is the new Hossa. No justification for the ice time, but still getting it.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:35 PM
LETSGORANGERS

Quote:
Would that be the same Czech player who has 1 g 1 a in 17 career playoff games and spends all night on his butt vs. any physical team?
On this team he should be in the lineup every night, it just took us 5 goals to beat the islanders backup.

That is trouble, and we need offense in the regular season, before we can even worry about the playoffs. "PLAYOFFS???"

Again 2 goals in 10 games is good on this team!!!

The kids development was horribly mis handled, sure he should have bulked up and maybe if he played he would have, but he scored 52 goals in his first 2 seasons regardless. (30,22)

None of our other home grown prospects are going to come any where close to that, and how many Rangers rookies ever scored 30 goals?

Last before him was Tony Amonte, can you honestly name another without looking it up?

Old
01-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

HFBoards: Where the only thing that determines value is numbers.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Fletch

them some telling numbder, trx..having a guy play 13+ minutes and not producing should be telling the coach something - that he needs to find someone to produce in that role and reduce the minutes of the gu with 13+ minutes. I'm on board with the notion that it's far more valuable to watch the games than just look at the numbers, but when you see long-term trends, you sometimes do look at the numbers a bit more and they become meaninful. If Sjo's having good shifts, pressuring the puck well, working hard and making defenses work hard, that's a good thing and it should lead to points eventually, even if in streaks. If it doens't, you look to his linemates and see if there's chemistry or if they're working hard too. If that checks out, then you start scratching your head and looking for something different, at least in that role.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:49 PM
McMonster

Freddy's job isn't to score goals or get points. He works hard, kills penalties, does great in shootouts, and he can score the occasional goal.

Not much more I can ask of him.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

who am i ?
He also has 4 points in his last 4 games.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:55 PM
eco's bones

Dubinsky is a 22 year old 2nd year player who has done pretty well for himself. I can't really say I'm disappointed in him. In any case he is not getting the big dollars and he's not supposed to be the offensive leader of the team--at least not yet. One might even suppose that at his age he will get better.

OTOH we have 2 $7 million per year forwards who are going at about a 50 point a season clip. Gomez is a -11, Drury a -6. At least Dubinsky is only a -2. For the amount of money Dubinsky is getting paid and for his age we are getting a respectable return. I wouldn't say the same for Gomez and especially Drury who seems to be on the decline. Anyway I know a lot of people don't like plus/minus stats but are there any stats either Gomez or Drury are putting up that are particularly impressive?

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
Yes but Sjostrom is so much better than Fritsche. To be a little fair to Sjostrom, Betts might be one of the worst offensive players in NHL history. While it's not his primary role, he instantly kills the offensive ability of any player on his line. If Sather had a brain he would trade Betts now. He isn't going to resign him because Anisimov needs a roster spot. Betts probably has a little value now to teams who lack defensive play from their forwards.
whats with you wanting to trade everyone? betts is one of the main reasons why our penalty killing is actually pretty good night in and night out, hes always healthy and hes ON THE FOURTH LINE, your fourth line guys arent supposed to score 20 goals, and betts already has the same amount of goals this year as opposed to last year.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
them some telling numbder, trx..having a guy play 13+ minutes and not producing should be telling the coach something - that he needs to find someone to produce in that role and reduce the minutes of the gu with 13+ minutes. I'm on board with the notion that it's far more valuable to watch the games than just look at the numbers, but when you see long-term trends, you sometimes do look at the numbers a bit more and they become meaninful. If Sjo's having good shifts, pressuring the puck well, working hard and making defenses work hard, that's a good thing and it should lead to points eventually, even if in streaks. If it doens't, you look to his linemates and see if there's chemistry or if they're working hard too. If that checks out, then you start scratching your head and looking for something different, at least in that role.
They're not so troubling if you look at his role. Betts and Orr are offensively inept, so their job as a unit is to forecheck and wear out the other team. There has been a multitude of chances for other players on the bench that were generated by Sjostrom and the 4th line. The guy PKs, forechecks hard, is a good teammate and is surprisingly good in the shootout.

Teams need role players too. He's a defensive forward with a (very) little bit of offensive upside playing with another defensive forward and an enforcer. That line isn't going to score a lot of goals, so the -11 really doesn't mean a whole lot when you take that into account.

Old
01-02-2009, 04:09 PM
LETSGORANGERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
HFBoards: Where the only thing that determines value is numbers.
Which is why, I did not bring up the energy he brings to the team, and how he's sparked them.

Old
01-02-2009, 04:12 PM
NYRSchrute217

I had a pet fish once

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Fletch

I agree about role players, trx, but those numbers are pretty bad. Look at his last 10 games - 10 points, -4 (a minus in five games, a plus in one and even in the others). That's not the end result you're looking for, even for a role player. The troubling stat was the minutes played - you'd typically like role players like that getting 10 minutes or less, not 13 minutes or more - that's the real issue. And when you have a guy like Fritsche on the bench, who also can kill penalties and not score, you almost wonder why one is unaffected by line changes the the other sits out.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:18 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
I had a pet fish once
Nicely done.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I agree about role players, trx, but those numbers are pretty bad. Look at his last 10 games - 10 points, -4 (a minus in five games, a plus in one and even in the others). That's not the end result you're looking for, even for a role player. The troubling stat was the minutes played - you'd typically like role players like that getting 10 minutes or less, not 13 minutes or more - that's the real issue. And when you have a guy like Fritsche on the bench, who also can kill penalties and not score, you almost wonder why one is unaffected by line changes the the other sits out.
Well the fact that the 4th line plays 13 minutes a night is Renney's fault and not the line's fault. But consider how many of those 13 minutes are short handed minutes as well.

I would like to see Fritsche get more time, but I don't think he's a drastic improvement over Sjostrom.