HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A suggestion for the next trade- if there is one

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Habs all the way

vCash: 500
A suggestion for the next trade- if there is one

As a habs fan, I am very pleased with the acquisition of Kovalev and Dowd for a playoff run. I've watched almost all of the Habs games this year and through the winning streaks and losing streaks, I've always been concerned about the play of Rivet and Quintal. Tonight's game against Phoenix is typical: I like Quintal's heart and his physical play against the boards, but his skating, puck handling, passing, and playmaking in his own zone have consistently been too slow and a defensive liability. The same goes for Rivet. (I think Quintal was responsible for atleast 3 turnovers.) If the motive behind trading for Kovalev and Dowd is to go far in the playoffs then I really hope that there's a trade for a solid defensive defenseman who has a decent first pass and adequate skating speed.

Think about it this way. The habs will probably face Toronto, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, or Philadelphia in the first round. With their offense, the habs' defence has to be solid and have the ability to make good defensive plays quickly. Having Souray back will take care of some but not all of the defensive liabilities.

We'll see by next Tuesday. Let me know what you guys think.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Artyukhin*

ahhhh..kovy got hurt tonight eh...i personally think that the token to the fans (kovy)just blew up in the boys faces.you think were goin to pull off another trade now ?weere payin kovy 1.3 million,ya just cant keep on replacing guys who you bring in that get hurt.it cost more money to bring players in ...i think there will be no more trades (incoming ) atleast....imho

Old
03-05-2004, 11:39 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs all the way
As a habs fan, I am very pleased with the acquisition of Kovalev and Dowd for a playoff run. I've watched almost all of the Habs games this year and through the winning streaks and losing streaks, I've always been concerned about the play of Rivet and Quintal. Tonight's game against Phoenix is typical: I like Quintal's heart and his physical play against the boards, but his skating, puck handling, passing, and playmaking in his own zone have consistently been too slow and a defensive liability. The same goes for Rivet. (I think Quintal was responsible for atleast 3 turnovers.) If the motive behind trading for Kovalev and Dowd is to go far in the playoffs then I really hope that there's a trade for a solid defensive defenseman who has a decent first pass and adequate skating speed.

Think about it this way. The habs will probably face Toronto, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, or Philadelphia in the first round. With their offense, the habs' defence has to be solid and have the ability to make good defensive plays quickly. Having Souray back will take care of some but not all of the defensive liabilities.

me too bro i know what you mean quintal makes many errors mostly becuase of his speed, to a lesser extent rivet.
cube has proved he's way more solid and intence then quintal, rivet will play good in the playoffs as the intensity level will help him, while quintal looks very very bad night in night out and his inensity is dead.
thats why witt would be a great pick up. but id keep rivet in my corps.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:08 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
me too bro i know what you mean quintal makes many errors mostly becuase of his speed, to a lesser extent rivet.
cube has proved he's way more solid and intence then quintal, rivet will play good in the playoffs as the intensity level will help him, while quintal looks very very bad night in night out and his inensity is dead.
thats why witt would be a great pick up. but id keep rivet in my corps.
I dunno all of the guys you mentioned and throw Brisebois in there put the fear into me. I hate our defense without Souray out there, but he's coming back soon, thank god.

In a perfect world, we'd have this:

Souray-? (we need a top notch guy here)
Markov-Komisarek (when all grown up)
Bouillon-Rivet (decent with reduced minutes)

Last edited by tinyzombies: 03-06-2004 at 12:46 AM.
Old
03-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Bob In Kitchener

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
ahhhh..kovy got hurt tonight eh...i personally think that the token to the fans (kovy)just blew up in the boys faces.you think were goin to pull off another trade now ?weere payin kovy 1.3 million,ya just cant keep on replacing guys who you bring in that get hurt.it cost more money to bring players in ...i think there will be no more trades (incoming ) atleast....imho
When you make a trade...you take your chances...Relax!!!! He will be ok. I think there are more surprises in store yet.

Old
03-06-2004, 08:12 AM
alexx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs all the way
....If the motive behind trading for Kovalev and Dowd is to go far in the playoffs then I really hope that there's a trade for a solid defensive defenseman who has a decent first pass and adequate skating speed.
Whattabout Kovalev's old mate from 1994 Rags Cup winning days Alexander Karpovtsev? Wouldn't cost a lot and might be nice fit with Markov.
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Daze replacing Dagenais :p

Old
03-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't insurances paying the player while he's on IR?

Old
03-06-2004, 08:33 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't insurances paying the player while he's on IR?
YUP!
so you could look at it that we saved money

Old
03-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
YUP!
so you could look at it that we saved money
Hehehe... Yeah, maybe that was Boivin's plan all along!

I kid, I kid...

Old
03-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Rahan

Yeah, I pretty much didn't laugh when Quintal lost the puck when he was all alone along the boards, because he couldn't handle his stick. Or when he fell for no reason in our own zone when he had the puck. He causes so many turnovers because of his flaws.. Argh.

Old
03-06-2004, 05:50 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexx3
Whattabout Kovalev's old mate from 1994 Rags Cup winning days Alexander Karpovtsev? Wouldn't cost a lot and might be nice fit with Markov.
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Daze replacing Dagenais :p
If somehow we could keep our core and still swing a Daze for Dagenais, I'd be in heaven. I don't know about Karpovtsev, though. A little old nowadays (34) and not overly physical for a 6-3 Dman. Don't get me wrong. I'd play him instead of Quintal, Dykhuis, Rivet, or possibly Bouillon (hmmm... maybe not). What do you give up for 1 or 2 years of service?

Closed Thread