HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Happy E-Towner?

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 11:07 PM
thistle

vCash: 500
Happy E-Towner?

Since I'm stuck out here on the left coast and have to endure Canucks propoganda, I tend to miss out on most/all of the oilers coverage. Just curious to know how Nedved has acted in the media during interviews. Has he come off as happy to be in E-town? I know that players typically spout the usual rhetoric when addressing the media, but I remember Dvo's rxn to becoming an Oiler, and I hope that Nedved would feel somewhat similiar...

Old
03-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Rooks Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
Since I'm stuck out here on the left coast and have to endure Canucks propoganda, I tend to miss out on most/all of the oilers coverage. Just curious to know how Nedved has acted in the media during interviews. Has he come off as happy to be in E-town? I know that players typically spout the usual rhetoric when addressing the media, but I remember Dvo's rxn to becoming an Oiler, and I hope that Nedved would feel somewhat similiar...
Alls I heard him say was that he was excited to try and help the Oilers get into the playoffs and that he could help any way he can, plus he was surprised it was Edmonton he was dealt to!

Rooks Oilers

Old
03-05-2004, 11:52 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers
Alls I heard him say was that he was excited to try and help the Oilers get into the playoffs and that he could help any way he can, plus he was surprised it was Edmonton he was dealt to!

Rooks Oilers
He blocked a Pronger slapshot in OT. Actions speak louder than words.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Superfluous U

I feel your pain Thistle. Its the only thing I regret about going to school out here.
The only time I get to watch the Oilers play now is HNIC or the occasional TSN game.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:34 AM
jadeddog

thats your own fault for moving to vancouver........ dam hippies!!! lol..... im just kidding, but i really do feel your pain.... i wouldnt be able to stand listening to how freaking great betzuzzi *cough* diver *cough* is all day every day..... oh well, at least you get warm weather

Old
03-06-2004, 03:28 AM
Superfluous U

The worst is Garrett. He always defends Bertuzzi's diving, arguing, and general ******-baggery.

And I'm closer to Whistler than I would be to any comparable skiing if I lived in Edmonton. Besides, if the U of A had offered me anywhere near the scholarship I got from here, I would have thought harder about it.

The warm weather is overrated. Its amazing how much I prefer nice snow and sun to days and days of overcast and dreary rain.

Old
03-06-2004, 03:33 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
Lived in Victoria/Sooke for over 6 years, I know EXACTLY how you feel.

A bit early to say regarding Nedved, we'll see how he reacts now with that first game adrenaline out of the way.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Hairball

I lived in Victoria for 5 years while going to UVIC. I miss the wheather there. IT didn't bother me a bit. But after five years there and 2 years in Scotland, I've been home in Edmonton for a while again and now the biggest reason for me to not move is all the Oilers coverage. I would miss it too much. Is there any way to get Sportsnet West out on the coast- even with a large cable bill?

Old
03-06-2004, 12:48 PM
goldenchild

I live in Vancouver but with a satelite dish and this site I get all the Oiler hockey I need. The only thing i don't like is that the whole sports coverage here is canucks talk no NBA,NFL and very little NHL outside of the canucks. Though I would imagine its the same in all cdn NHL cities. Again that whey its great to have a dish, ESPN, NFL Network and all the live games. Plus you never have to put up with anything close to -20,-30 temps.

Old
03-06-2004, 01:17 PM
thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
I lived in Victoria for 5 years while going to UVIC. I miss the wheather there. IT didn't bother me a bit. But after five years there and 2 years in Scotland, I've been home in Edmonton for a while again and now the biggest reason for me to not move is all the Oilers coverage. I would miss it too much. Is there any way to get Sportsnet West out on the coast- even with a large cable bill?
More often than not, to get any sort of Oilers coverage I have to go to a pub that has sportsnet west. I think even with a dish, because of some regional thingy, Sportsnet west somewhat unavailable. For the most part the biggest thing I miss is Oilers in the stretch drive and playoffs. Nothing beats Edmonton that time of year. Came out here for school (although I would'nt have if U of A would have offered realistic course credit for a NAIT grad) and have'nt moved back since. Amidst the rain, the realestate prices, and God Awful Canucks fans...this side of the country is pretty damn cool...

Old
03-06-2004, 01:27 PM
thistle

Oh ya, one more thing I miss about Edmonton....higher caliber men's (beer) league hockey.

Old
03-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Oi'll say!

I lived out here (in Van) with regular cable during the Grizzlies era, that was a freakin' nightmare.

Even on days when the 'Nux and Grizz didn't play you'd get at least 5 mins per team of idiotic interviews and mindless blabbering. The Canucks beat the Avs in a regular season game just after Crow came here and they talked about that game for 22 minutes. It was unbelievable! Sometimes they'd even have the audacity to show non-Grizz nba highlites before they got around to showing out of town nhl stuff. You'd be lucky to see one goal from the Oilers games highlite packages.

I was soooooo glad when the Grizz left, what a dog of a franchise they are anyways. They have to be close to the all-time worst in any of the 4 major north american leagues, they're still perennial lottery draft hopefuls after what, 7 years or so?

As for tv coverage now, with satellite you can get all the same stuff as Edm viewers with the exception of the snet blackout games, but if you add the center ice package you'll get way more Oilers hockey than even the people in Edm get. It's a whole new world.

Old
03-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Loweball

I live in and was born and raised in Victoria. Not a nicer city inthe world IMO but as we know the average price of a house is now the most expensive in Canada at just over $346,000 last month. I have been to Edmonton before and loved it . it was -40 that day i was there in December 1998 but it did not feel cold to me. 0 to -5 out here feels colder. really. it's the wind off the water and the fact it's dry in Edmonton is all the difference. That said, we do get dreary days out here, but lkast weekend we were in shorts and had the top down in our cars. i was also golfing in january,

As for hockey, I have to agree it's tough being an Oiler fan amongst all the Canuck fans. And the bandwagon jumpers out here are amazing. I have lived through over 20 years of Canuck futility and until recently the fans out here have had nothing to cheer for. i used to love seeing the Oilers annihalate the canucks . i remember one night it was 13-2 or something like that. And another night the Oilers were down 7-2 going into the third and won 9-8. I will never forget that one. Messier got the winner right off the faceoff he shot it.

i absolutely dispise Todd Bertuzzi. my feelings are well documented here. He is the biggest a##hole to ever play in this league. I hate listening to everyone talk about how great he is. Last night's game was just another like the rest for Big Bert. Whining, diving, taking his team off the powerplay. I have a pretty good surround system and you can pick up every little ***** he has. Always popping off to the refs. Fans out here say he's a marked man. NO KIDDING!! if you are an NHL ref you can only take so much!!! A 240 pound man does not fall down all the time getting love taps!! As I said, hate the guy. hate his arrogance. always has to have the chewing tobacco in his mouth at the post game interviews and that stupid visor hat thing he wears. never smiles, always has a chip on his shoulder.

anyways, thank god for the internet and these baords. And we always have Rod Phillips!!

Closed Thread