HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cote

Old
01-03-2009, 01:08 AM
BerubeBox*

vCash: 500
Cote

Is he undervalued as an enforcer by the Flyer fanbase? In the GDT tonight, before the Parros fight, I was getting pissed at the people saying he shouldn't fight him. Of course he should fight Parros. Even if he only has a 10% chance of winning a fight, that just makes it that much better when it happens. And all that experience of being a punching bag, you know it has to pay off sooner or later.

He's nothing special in the heavyweight rankings, but he's definitely a heavyweight and he's our guy. Maybe it's just that flyer fans are used to being in the elite every year, 1st or 2nd in the division all the time. Cote's really not bad and shouldn't be counted out, ever. Aside from Laraque, every enforcer always has a chance to beat another fighter. That's what all the fighting's about.

Oh yeah and Parros looked absolutely BEAT when the fight was over. He looked like he couldn't get to the box fast enough.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:11 AM
mm6492

is this Mrs. Cote???

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:13 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Well said

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:15 AM
PlantersOye

I don't really watch enforcers, moreover, our enforcer. What else does Cote "excel" in other than being an enforcer? Just curious.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:28 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast View Post
I don't really watch enforcers, moreover, our enforcer. What else does Cote "excel" in other than being an enforcer? Just curious.
Nothing. But that is not what he gets paid for. Enforcers are meant to excel in other aspects in hockey other than fighting. IF they do, whoever has them on their team is lucky that they can either produce offensively or play defense as well as fight. But you dont normally expect anything from enforcers other that they can fight.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:38 AM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Nothing. But that is not what he gets paid for. Enforcers are meant to excel in other aspects in hockey other than fighting. IF they do, whoever has them on their team is lucky that they can either produce offensively or play defense as well as fight. But you dont normally expect anything from enforcers other that they can fight.
Yeah, exactly. But there are some who can play in the NHL as a producer, other than just fighting. I'd say Laraque as an example. And besides, how would Cote faire against a majority of the enforcers in the NHL?

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:42 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I wouldnt consider Laraque as a producer "somewhat" as well as an enforcer. Brashear, as bad as his hands are when it comes to stickhandling, can produce as well as Parros.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:42 AM
chaosof99*

I think Cote does a decent enough job as an enforcer and unlike other enforcers he can actually play the puck and isn't bad defensively. The problem Cote has is that he is a bit smaller than other enforcers and he is a leftie, which can come as a surprise when the other guy faces Cote for the first time but becomes a bit of a liability after that. He's still doing his job though and negates his lack of physicality in comparison with his ability to absorb the other guys punches.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:26 AM
dawkins121

Cote really hasn't been impressing me lately. I know he's not out there for his skills but he's been pretty sloppy the last few games I've watched and while he's always willing to drop the gloves, more often then not he comes out on the losing side of a fight because he's small for an enforcer. I never really cared until recently because I recognize the need for somebody on the team who is basically designated to stand up for the rest of the guys and fight people.

However, the more I watch Josh Gratton the more I like him. Gratton is just as willing to play the role of enforcer as Cote is and he's faired at least as well as Cote in his fights. Not only that, but he seems to be better at doing all of the non-enforcer things (aka actually playing hockey) than Cote is. Hell Stevens even gave him a little power play time during the extended stretch of penalties in last night's Ducks game. I say let Gratton take over Cote's role.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 05:36 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Cote really hasn't been impressing me lately. I know he's not out there for his skills but he's been pretty sloppy the last few games I've watched and while he's always willing to drop the gloves, more often then not he comes out on the losing side of a fight because he's small for an enforcer. I never really cared until recently because I recognize the need for somebody on the team who is basically designated to stand up for the rest of the guys and fight people.

However, the more I watch Josh Gratton the more I like him. Gratton is just as willing to play the role of enforcer as Cote is and he's faired at least as well as Cote in his fights. Not only that, but he seems to be better at doing all of the non-enforcer things (aka actually playing hockey) than Cote is. Hell Stevens even gave him a little power play time during the extended stretch of penalties in last night's Ducks game. I say let Gratton take over Cote's role.
Gratton isn't fighting the top fighters on each team like Cote. Sure when he first came up on the flyers he was fighting Laraque and such, but I think he learned his lesson.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I'm not being funny. But The OP is wrong. When your fighter gets his ass handed to him, it's a big mental blow to your team. Your meant to be "protecting" your players when all you are actually doing is getting your ass handed to you. Cote must lose 75% of his fights

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 09:44 AM
TheFlyingP

Gratton is to small to be our top enforcer. He's much better on his skates then Cote, but I think Cote does a good enough job with his responsibilities and he handles himself fine with the fisticuffs.

TheFlyingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:32 PM
kicksave27

cote is the tex cobb of enforcers

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 10:19 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
cote is the tex cobb of enforcers
haha nice

You gotta love a guy with heart. Cote will sacrifice it all for the Flyers. And you have to think part of him knows something really exciting is happening in Philadelphia, and he's ecstatic to be a part of it.

Old
01-03-2009, 10:26 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingP View Post
Gratton is to small to be our top enforcer. He's much better on his skates then Cote, but I think Cote does a good enough job with his responsibilities and he handles himself fine with the fisticuffs.
6'2 and http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...1&postcount=31

I just don't get the "too small" argument. What do you want, Paul Varelans?

Old
01-03-2009, 10:39 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
6'2 and http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...1&postcount=31

I just don't get the "too small" argument. What do you want, Paul Varelans?
I have watched Gratton. While Cote gets beat by laraque and Brashear, he holds his own

Gratton would be dead

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 10:59 PM
BerubeBox*

Oops, sorry. I read the post I quoted as "COTE is to small to be our top enforcer"

But yeah Cote has been known to get the "too small" tag on this board.

Old
01-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Cleary84

Cote may not be the best fighter. But give him credit for the people he fights. The last game vs. the caps, he took that assbeating from Brashear like a man. He went straight to the box and kept his head up. I love his heart and I think that's what really gets the team pumped when he drops the gloves.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:24 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
He pwend Mcgratten before. He has it in him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 05:03 AM
BrindamoursNose

His side-burns make me shiver

Parros' and him going at it had me thinking of the 70's or something.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:53 AM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
haha nice

You gotta love a guy with heart. Cote will sacrifice it all for the Flyers. And you have to think part of him knows something really exciting is happening in Philadelphia, and he's ecstatic to be a part of it.
I'm glad someone got the reference.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:36 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast View Post
he doesnt excel in being an enforcer. what has he done to enforce. i have not seen him do anything when any of the top players where hit or run at. when hartnel fought goddard, cote should have went after one of their layers, he didnt. his talent is limited and i would rather have aguy who can play ont he 4th line than cote or acquire a legit fighter. cote is terrible. he has a lot of heart but that only gets you so far.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:46 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
he doesnt excel in being an enforcer. what has he done to enforce. i have not seen him do anything when any of the top players where hit or run at. when hartnel fought goddard, cote should have went after one of their layers, he didnt. his talent is limited and i would rather have aguy who can play ont he 4th line than cote or acquire a legit fighter. cote is terrible. he has a lot of heart but that only gets you so far.
while i agree w/ you - i miss not having a legit H/W...i hate hearing it from friends and family in NY, WASH, or PITT when cote gets his arse beat...

there are two questions though-
1. Would having a more legit H/W stopped the recent cheapshots on our players - notably, gagne, giroux, kimo and alberts? PROBABLY NOT.

bieska is a beast (everything we thought vandermeer would be)that plays in the shadow of boogey 6 times a year w/o flinching...perry is a POS that has parros to carry his water if another team's H/W wants to make him pay and you get the picture...those hits would have happened anyway. it would be nice to have someone to make godard pay for jumping hartnell next time we play the pens though.

2. Do our players play less agressive or timid because they fear retribution from another teams tough guys? NO

richards, asham, hartnell, alberts all play physical and can handles themselves...even our non-fighters (lupul, gagne, carter, kimo, ossi, etc) don't play scared...they all finish their checks and go hard to the net.

i guess coming up in the org w/ a lot of the guys and winning a calder cup has formed a bond of trust that these guys know he will answer the bell for them even though he will likely get pummeled...

i would rather dress gratton for the 4th line down the stretch and in the playoffs because while he loses just as many fights he is a better player or sign/trade for a 4th liner for the playoffs (shanny or gary roberts).

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
while i agree w/ you - i miss not having a legit H/W...i hate hearing it from friends and family in NY, WASH, or PITT when cote gets his arse beat...

there are two questions though-
1. Would having a more legit H/W stopped the recent cheapshots on our players - notably, gagne, giroux, kimo and alberts? PROBABLY NOT.

bieska is a beast (everything we thought vandermeer would be)that plays in the shadow of boogey 6 times a year w/o flinching...perry is a POS that has parros to carry his water if another team's H/W wants to make him pay and you get the picture...those hits would have happened anyway. it would be nice to have someone to make godard pay for jumping hartnell next time we play the pens though.

2. Do our players play less agressive or timid because they fear retribution from another teams tough guys? NO

richards, asham, hartnell, alberts all play physical and can handles themselves...even our non-fighters (lupul, gagne, carter, kimo, ossi, etc) don't play scared...they all finish their checks and go hard to the net.

i guess coming up in the org w/ a lot of the guys and winning a calder cup has formed a bond of trust that these guys know he will answer the bell for them even though he will likely get pummeled...

i would rather dress gratton for the 4th line down the stretch and in the playoffs because while he loses just as many fights he is a better player or sign/trade for a 4th liner for the playoffs (shanny or gary roberts).
cote didn't play last playoffs, IIRC. i would bet that cote doesn't dress again and with the depth we have, we don't need him to.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote