HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Value of Biron (also, Biron or Nittymaki?)

Old
12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
PlantersOye

vCash: 500
Value of Biron (also, Biron or Nittymaki?)

1. Your perspective on his value at this time?
2. Biron or Nittymaki as starter?

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:06 AM
BerubeBox*

Biron over Nitty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast View Post
1. Your perspective on his value at this time?
Four.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:13 AM
flountown

He got the win, but positioning looked shaky tonight, and that is his main strength. I need to see him a bit more after this flu before I can judge, but if he loses his positioning and discipline then he loses his starting spot. Nitty is the better reaction goalie and is more likely to make spectacular saves, but Biron's positioning and discipline keeps him from needing to and is more likely to give you a solid performance night in and out, on the other hand Nitty is more likely to give you spectacular performances but less predictable.

The one thing I find strange though is that Nitty tends to see far more shots during his performances. Generally if a defense has confidence in their goalie they will let certain shots through and will play tighter allowing less shots for someone they do not feel as comfortable with. I don't know if I am reading a bit too much into this but it's something I've noticed in my experience as a player.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:37 AM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
He got the win, but positioning looked shaky tonight, and that is his main strength. I need to see him a bit more after this flu before I can judge, but if he loses his positioning and discipline then he loses his starting spot. Nitty is the better reaction goalie and is more likely to make spectacular saves, but Biron's positioning and discipline keeps him from needing to and is more likely to give you a solid performance night in and out, on the other hand Nitty is more likely to give you spectacular performances but less predictable.

The one thing I find strange though is that Nitty tends to see far more shots during his performances. Generally if a defense has confidence in their goalie they will let certain shots through and will play tighter allowing less shots for someone they do not feel as comfortable with. I don't know if I am reading a bit too much into this but it's something I've noticed in my experience as a player.
I think the same way.

Old
12-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Tommy D

Marty got the win, good on him. I say let it ride, he plays next game!

Tommy D

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:55 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Biron or Nitty... hmm.. Ill skip that question. I say we find a legit #1

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:20 AM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Biron or Nitty... hmm.. Ill skip that question. I say we find a legit #1
Good thinking

Old
12-31-2008, 02:13 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Biron over Nitty.
Four.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:25 AM
ELab2

Nitty over Biron but I think they're almost interchangeable. I'd like to see us resign Nitty (he'll be cheaper) and go out and get a young guy with some real promise.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 07:59 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
The way i see our goaltending situation is that Nitty is a good backup. That is it.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:23 AM
TheFlyingP

[QUOTE=DeadPhish5858;17064697]The way i see our goaltending situation is that Nitty is a good backup. That is it.[/

TheFlyingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:26 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

The way I see it, the rest of the season/playoffs is an audition between the two goalies to be re-signed

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:42 AM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
The way I see it, the rest of the season/playoffs is an audition between the two goalies to be re-signed
Makes a lot of sense to me.

Old
12-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I think I'd like to see them battle it out for the balance of the season. Roll with the hot hand and hopefully they can elevate each others performance.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:48 PM
captainpaxil

i think biron is more consistent though he doesnt have the flash nitty does. i think nitty is a 1a same as marty. i think he should be kept to bring another younger guy along pretty cheap. marty is gonna be looking to re up at the same money or more and i dont think hes worth it. marty is a guy who will win u one goal games where nitty can make a 6-4 loss into a 4 3 victory. 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. i go with whoevers cheaper.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i think biron is more consistent though he doesnt have the flash nitty does. i think nitty is a 1a same as marty. i think he should be kept to bring another younger guy along pretty cheap. marty is gonna be looking to re up at the same money or more and i dont think hes worth it. marty is a guy who will win u one goal games where nitty can make a 6-4 loss into a 4 3 victory. 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. i go with whoevers cheaper.
What we need is a consistent goalie who is worth the money.

Old
01-02-2009, 07:13 PM
mm6492

Briere, Nodl, 1st, 3rd
for
Luongo

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Terence Peterman

biron's value is that of a number one goalie.

i'll take him over niitty eight days a week. anyone who says otherwise doesn't realize how he's had the chance to take the starting job pretty much since he's been here and hasn't done it yet. that oughta say something.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:59 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
biron's value is that of a number one goalie.

i'll take him over niitty eight days a week. anyone who says otherwise doesn't realize how he's had the chance to take the starting job pretty much since he's been here and hasn't done it yet. that oughta say something.
You cant disagree though that you would want a legit number one goalie. They both make the EQUAL number of mistakes, which this year is alot. Please dont bring up last years playoffs either. I hate when people do that. Last year Biron also played really well during the season. This season he doesnt look as strong. I am not saying Nitty looks better, just saying they both have been making some horrible mistakes. Im personally in favor of a strong, really good goalie. I hate seeing all these teams having these amazing goalies, and all we do is go through mediocre ones...

Old
01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
You cant disagree though that you would want a legit number one goalie. They both make the EQUAL number of mistakes, which this year is alot. Please dont bring up last years playoffs either. I hate when people do that. Last year Biron also played really well during the season. This season he doesnt look as strong. I am not saying Nitty looks better, just saying they both have been making some horrible mistakes. Im personally in favor of a strong, really good goalie. I hate seeing all these teams having these amazing goalies, and all we do is go through mediocre ones...
All of these teams? Besides Boston, who would you say has AMAZING goalies? I mean, do Tim Thomas and Manny Fernandez remind you of two of the greats?

Goaltending is about consistency and whoever can have the hot hand. There is only ONE NHL goalie right now I would trust to consistency, and thats Brodeur. He's injured. As far as a hot hand, if Biron goes into a funk, Niity steps up. If Niity goes into a funk, Biron steps up. Both are good-enough NHL goalies and sometimes thats all you need.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
All of these teams? Besides Boston, who would you say has AMAZING goalies? I mean, do Tim Thomas and Manny Fernandez remind you of two of the greats?

Goaltending is about consistency and whoever can have the hot hand. There is only ONE NHL goalie right now I would trust to consistency, and thats Brodeur. He's injured. As far as a hot hand, if Biron goes into a funk, Niity steps up. If Niity goes into a funk, Biron steps up. Both are good-enough NHL goalies and sometimes thats all you need.
Hmm Id say Lunquist, Fluery (maybe), Backstrom, Broduer, Nabokov, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Miller, Turco, Price, Giguere (in the past has been strong... little bit iffy now)

Even the young one Mason is looking very well.

These are well known goalies that play well most of the time.

I dont think that riding the hot goalie will win us a cup. Thats what I think...

Old
01-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Hmm Id say Lunquist, Fluery (maybe), Backstrom, Broduer, Nabokov, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Miller, Turco, Price, Giguere (in the past has been strong... little bit iffy now)

Even the young one Mason is looking very well.

These are well known goalies that play well most of the time.

I dont think that riding the hot goalie will win us a cup. Thats what I think...
Ask Carolina, Tampa Bay, and other teams about a hot goalie in the finals.

I would disagree on several of those choices. First off, Backstrom is a product of the system in Minnesota. Turco hasn't done much in the playoffs and is not a big game goalie, which is why I take Biron over him. Giggy and Nabakov have had good success, Giggy especially in the playoffs, but is Giggy setting the world on fire? Not really.

Price might have the most upside in that group, which is why he is on the list. Biron has outperformed him in a head to head series. Luongo and Brodeur are injured, but those are the only two who I would consider truly consistent goaltending. Thomas is creeping into that category. Until Miller or Luongo win a cup, though, are they really flat out spectacular?

I could go on and on here. You've made a list of goalies who have had success, and Biron has had success and could easily be in that same list. Only two players I would consider to be top flight tenders, Brodeur and Luongo. Only one of those players has won a cup.

There is a reason there are many teams with very good goalies and 2 or 3 teams with STELLAR goaltending. It's the same reason you have very good defensemen and then Pronger and Nieds, and why two teams have Crosby and Ovechkin and then the 28 other teams have very good forwards. Elite goaltending doesn't grow on trees, and until you magically draft one or remove half your team for one, you've got to make due.

Hell, even DiPi being a top draft pick hasn't produced results in NYI yet. It's not an exact science and there isn't an abundance.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote