HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2009 Draft

Old
01-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Stepan Razor

vCash: 500
taylor hall is a freak show, kid has scary talent

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:36 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringUpBobby View Post
taylor hall is a freak show, kid has scary talent
Man, my dream dream scenario would be to trade Gomez and Rozsival at this year's deadline, and Redden, Naslund, and Drury if somehow that were possible. Then, tank next year, get as high a pick as possible, and if it isn't number one, package your first with something and get that top pick, draft Hall and then use the cap space to sign Kovalchuk.

I know, never happen.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:01 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Man, my dream dream scenario ... Then, tank next year, get as high a pick as possible, and if it isn't number one, package your first with something and get that top pick, ...
I realize you post is in good fun, but the difference between the Rangers and The Tankers from PA is just that... WE DO NOT TANK! IF we did I'd drop my 43 year Ranger habit, like yesterday. The 7 pre-lockout season we missed the playoffs we had chances to just let go and instead made stupid acquisitions that secured our 13th-20th picks.

I dream of the Baffoon from Banf-f-f getting canned.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:35 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post

I realize you post is in good fun, but the difference between the Rangers and The Tankers from PA is just that... WE DO NOT TANK! IF we did I'd drop my 43 year Ranger habit, like yesterday. The 7 pre-lockout season we missed the playoffs we had chances to just let go and instead made stupid acquisitions that secured our 13th-20th picks.

I dream of the Baffoon from Banf-f-f getting canned.
And that's why I think (yes this could be blasphemy) Islander fans have it better than Ranger fans this year. They're a lock to get either Hedman/Tavares, and look at what is happening in Washington. They have one guy who's scary good (Ovie), a couple of extremely solid guys surrounding him (backstrom, semin, et al), and they're gonna be a force come the second half of the year. The Islanders have a chance to replicate that with Tavares (or even Hedman, he'd do well in the NHL) and guys like Okposo, Bailey (though I think he's overrated), that kid Petrov that they drafted, and possibly the rash of picks they've stocked up could turn out to be solid.

And all they have to do is suffer through about 3 or 4 years of our "season's over" chants for a quality hockey team. We're stuck with a team that will make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs for a while.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:58 PM
HoosierDaddy

[QUOTE=pmorris;17122892]And that's why I think...Islander fans have it better than Ranger fans this year. They're a lock to get either Hedman/Tavares, and look at what is happening in Washington. They have one guy who's scary good (Ovie), a couple of extremely solid guys surrounding him (backstrom, semin, et al), and they're gonna be a force come the second half of the year. The Islanders have a chance to replicate that with Tavares (or even Hedman, he'd do well in the NHL) and guys like Okposo, Bailey (though I think he's overrated), that kid Petrov that they drafted, and possibly the rash of picks they've stocked up could turn out to be solid.QUOTE]

Yes, that is the way some teams have been built, you forgot Chicago. However, teams like the PenTankers have made an art of tanking when generational talent is up for grabs. They are stinking up the joint as we speak, just waiting for an injury to the Commisoner's love child or Malkin to throw their hat into the Hedman / Tavares sweepstakes. The Islanders could have had Filatov and traded that pick for Bailey and more picks, so they'll find some way to screw up. It's their destiny. We had our chance to tank those 7 years we missed the playoffs, but didn't. That's the only consolation I have. And don't forget that drafting a top player in the top 3 picks is easy, otherwise how can you explain picking Jessibust over Parisi and Green.

But my point is, that I loath those yellow and black tankers with a passion. Where were tier fans when they were aweful? My dream is that they NEVER win another cup, even if it means we never win one ourselves.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:58 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Yes, that is the way some teams have been built, you forgot Chicago. However, teams like the PenTankers have made an art of tanking when generational talent is up for grabs. They are stinking up the joint as we speak, just waiting for an injury to the Commisoner's love child or Malkin to throw their hat into the Hedman / Tavares sweepstakes. The Islanders could have had Filatov and traded that pick for Bailey and more picks, so they'll find some way to screw up. It's their destiny. We had our chance to tank those 7 years we missed the playoffs, but didn't. That's the only consolation I have. And don't forget that drafting a top player in the top 3 picks is easy, otherwise how can you explain picking Jessibust over Parisi and Green.

But my point is, that I loath those yellow and black tankers with a passion. Where were tier fans when they were aweful? My dream is that they NEVER win another cup, even if it means we never win one ourselves.
Good call about Chicago, I forgot about them only cause I'm not a huge follower of the western conference.

As for Jessibust, I would have rather seen Dustin Brown (who was picked right after Jessiman) than Parisi or Green. Here's a guy who not only can put the puck in the net, but throws the body around nicely, too. That's something this team is desperately lacking.

And there's no way the Pens get enough ping-pong balls in the lottery to have a realistic shot tavares or Hedman, but don't put it by Bettman to pull a "David Stern 1985 Ewing draft" and fix it for them.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 09:01 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris View Post
As for Jessibust, I would have rather seen Dustin Brown (who was picked right after Jessiman) than Parisi or Green. Here's a guy who not only can put the puck in the net, but throws the body around nicely, too. That's something this team is desperately lacking.
Love Brown, but talk about OV, Baackstrom and Semin all you want, Green is the best skater to enter the league since Coffey. Just wait another year or two and you will agree with me. I just love to watch that guy skate. Love to see the Craps play.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
NYR Viper

im hoping that sather realizes this team isnt going to make any serious noise in the playoffs and realizes either gomez/redden, prucha, rissmiller, fritsche and kalinn can all be traded for some picks. I know many may disagree with me but I feel like this would be the perfect draft for the rangers to be able to stockpile some later picks and take some chances on some offensively gifted players.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:41 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Guys, a fire sale is not gonna happen.

The time for a fire sale was last year.

Jagr, Shanahan, Straka, Rozsival, Avery, Mara, Malik

ALL were UFAs at the end of the season.

We lost 5 of the 7 with no compensation.

I was BEGGING for a fire sale at the trade deadline last year. We got Backman and Sjostrom. Those were our big moves. Although in fairness we got Zherdev in dealing Backman and Tyutin.

No fire sale will happen. No chance. Sather is not smart or ballsy enough to do it when a huge opportunity hits him in the face.

We could have cleaned up at the draft last year. We could have gotten at least an extra first round pick, and a couple of seconds.

Instead, we stuck with what we had.

Does anyone honestly think Sather will sell off Gomez, Drury, and Redden? Even though that is exactly what he should do?

Forget that no one wants those contracts. He still won't bother trying. If he didn't do it last year, when the opportunity was right there with the WHOLE damn team hitting Unrestricted Free Agency, why would he do it now when these guys are locked up for the better part of a decade to come?

Of course, i'll be hoping for a fire sale of sorts at the deadline. Hoping Sather has the foresight to understand the cap will not be increasing, and may actually drop. But it won't happen.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:45 AM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

ALL were UFAs at the end of the season.

We lost 5 of the 7 with no compensation.

I was BEGGING for a fire sale at the trade deadline last year. We got Backman and Sjostrom. Those were our big moves. Although in fairness we got Zherdev in dealing Backman and Tyutin.

No fire sale will happen. No chance. Sather is not smart or ballsy enough to do it when a huge opportunity hits him in the face.

We could have cleaned up at the draft last year. We could have gotten at least an extra first round pick, and a couple of seconds.

Instead, we stuck with what we had.

Does anyone honestly think Sather will sell off Gomez, Drury, and Redden? Even though that is exactly what he should do?

Forget that no one wants those contracts. He still won't bother trying. If he didn't do it last year, when the opportunity was right there with the WHOLE damn team hitting Unrestricted Free Agency, why would he do it now when these guys are locked up for the better part of a decade to come?

Of course, i'll be hoping for a fire sale of sorts at the deadline. Hoping Sather has the foresight to understand the cap will not be increasing, and may actually drop. But it won't happen.
the only teams i can see wanting to take the contracts are vancouver, florida, islanders atlanta etc because they cant draw any top end free agents their way. However, with nmc for most of our top paid players its very doubtful anyone would waive to go to one of those teams.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:48 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

How do buyouts work?

There is still a yearly cap hit correct?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Unlike with what we have now, some of these guys could have returned 1st round picks and/or a few good prospects.

Oh well, hindsight is awesome

A top ten pick this year could possibly save this team for the future, but that would mean finishing out of the playoffs. We could get an elite offensive prospect, and then we have guys like Grachev, Anisimov, Korpikoski, Dubinsky and Callahan to fill out the roster. Gomez, Drury and Naslund, and Zherdev (hopefully) will be here next season. Ideally, Redden will be gone. Now that would be a fun team to watch, even if they don't make the playoffs that year.

I don't see Sather trading anyone though, and I don't see Lundqvist playing so poorly for the remainder of the season that we finish so low.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:12 AM
RangersFan88*

uuhmm boy
i heard, there's some mighty fish ut there 2009, uhm boy
i consider we catch ourselves one heck of a tasty hugh jessiman like in 2003
that's right ... that's what we want

**** the rangers drafting system

RangersFan88* is offline   Reply With Quote