HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Star Ballot Talk III - All talk goes here!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2009, 01:20 PM
  #76
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
Yes...but look at it this way...if you were to survery the league and ask if you can pick ANY 2 DEFENSEMEN in the EASTERN CONFERENCE do you think Komo would even be in the top 5??

Here is the probable list (in no particular order)

Mike Green, Zdeno Chara, Andrei Markov, Jay Bouwmestier, Sergi Gonchar

And lets be honest....if the trade on the table of Komo for ANY of these guys straight up...can you HONESTLY say NO?? Of course not, and claiming you would not take that trade...its a bold face lie
If the ASG wasn't in Montreal, this whole scenario wouldn't even happen.

The fact is that the game is in Montreal, to be attended for better part by Montrealers and the fans want to see their folks there.

No one is debating that Komo is the second best in the Eastern conference (and it would be also up for debate if Markov is the best in the EC), but the fans came out and voted him in.

The NHL wants exposure and fan interest and thats why they have the voting system in place. In my opinion, the fact that these players have so many votes (about 1.5 mil) will mean that the NHL will not reevaluate their system.

Besides, the ASG is not to reward the players, its to reward the fans.

 
Old
01-03-2009, 01:32 PM
  #77
Sparepart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
TSN's NHL All-Star starters page...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=5...opRelated_main


Why'd they put Theodore on the banner? lol. I know they were using Habs All-Stars of the past (and Markov of present) , but Theodore? come on.

Sparepart is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 01:42 PM
  #78
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go
 
We Want The 25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
i feel bad for ovechkin hes not getting his number 8 =]

We Want The 25 is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 01:51 PM
  #79
Seguins Dragon*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In Carls Garage
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
If the ASG wasn't in Montreal, this whole scenario wouldn't even happen.

The fact is that the game is in Montreal, to be attended for better part by Montrealers and the fans want to see their folks there.

No one is debating that Komo is the second best in the Eastern conference (and it would be also up for debate if Markov is the best in the EC), but the fans came out and voted him in.

The NHL wants exposure and fan interest and thats why they have the voting system in place. In my opinion, the fact that these players have so many votes (about 1.5 mil) will mean that the NHL will not reevaluate their system.

Besides, the ASG is not to reward the players, its to reward the fans.
Oh I agree 100% with you, that if it wasn't in Montreal it wouldn't happen...

Than again, I am sure if all guys were on the ballot you crazy Habs fans would still vote like maniacs and get your boys in (I know thats how you roll...lol)...not knocking you at all in saying that, it just a lot of passion.

But with the fans... I am sure if you asked EVERY TEAM BUT MONTREAL "Do you want to see Komo in the allstar game?" the answer is no.... Heck, I am sure if you asked ANYONE but a Habs fan "did you vote for Mike Komosarek?"...the answer is no.

So, its not for the fans of the NHL, its become an event for the fans of the Habs...and thats where I have an issue.

Because the Habs have 4 players in (2 of which truley belong, the other I can let fly because he does have skills and is a showman, which will garuntee entertain) but you have 1 roster spot taken by someone that NO ONE other than Habs fans want to see, and thats a spot which may deny someone that EVERYONE wants to see, not just Montreal fans... so now its not an event for fans of the NHL, but fans of Montreal...

I will most likely boycott the ASG, not that it makes a difference, but sorry, I feel the event has been hijacked from the fans of the NHL, by the fans of 1 team.

I know its your 100 year anniversary, and thats great, thats fantastic. It shows how much love people not just in Quebec, but in Canada have for this team. However... **** MAN... every game you have some sort of ceremony (on a side note, I will admit, whoever decided to have Wendel's honoring the same as Pat Roy was purely classless, should have been Roy's night only)... you were given the oppertunity to host the allstar game as part of the 100 year anniversary... HELL, you were even given a COIN BY THE CANADIAN MINT IN CIRCULATION!!!... I mean wasn't that enough?...lol You need to rob the rest of the leagues fan's of the actual allstar game too??...lol

Anyways, I don't blame you guys its the system, and you just used it... I guess it just pisses me off because I know there will be a player I would WANT to see in the allstar game, and I am sure FANS OF THE NHL would want to see...but now they won't. Due to a roster spot being taken by someone who I am sure if you asked the rest of the leagues fans would say he doesn't belong there.

Seguins Dragon* is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 02:06 PM
  #80
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Great job by the fans to get 4 of our boys there, shame Koivu doesn't get in though. Would have been great to see the captain of the Habs there too and after what happened the last time he was selected for an all-star game, would have been nice to see him get the call in his 'hometown'. Hopefully he gets something much better to celebrate later in the year though

Qui Gon Dave is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 02:09 PM
  #81
Sparepart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Great job by the fans to get 4 of our boys there, shame Koivu doesn't get in though. Would have been great to see the captain of the Habs there too and after what happened the last time he was selected for an all-star game, would have been nice to see him get the call in his 'hometown'. Hopefully he gets something much better to celebrate later in the year though

Yeah it would have been nice, but on the other hand I'm sure Koivu himself would say he'd prefer to have the time off, to recover from injuries (and general bumps/bruises).

Sparepart is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 02:10 PM
  #82
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,820
vCash: 500
now i gotta find an all star game price jersey

Canadian_Brewtality is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 02:42 PM
  #83
Habs4Life
Registered User
 
Habs4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
Kovalev playing with Crosby and Malkin might wake him up

Habs4Life is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 02:47 PM
  #84
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life View Post
Kovalev playing with Crosby and Malkin might wake him up
If they play so well together... they may want him

Talent Analyst is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 02:58 PM
  #85
Habs4Life
Registered User
 
Habs4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
If they play so well together... they may want him
even better!!! lol..

Habs4Life is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 03:02 PM
  #86
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
Personally, I hope this whole debacle changes things...

Kovalev will be entertaining, I honestly don't think he deserves to be there, but he does have skills, and a game with no contact he can really shine, plus skills competition he will be good...that being said, because Kovalev is there, Koivu will not be, and personally I rather have seen Koivu, because chances are, he would have been given the Eastern C and the guy is such a class act I think everyone would like to see that, but alas it won't happen now, and he wont even be on the team...

Price deserves to be an allstar, not sure about starter, but defeintly deserves to be there, I have no beef with him being a starter now though (even though it should be Timmy Thomas stats wise, but Price is the "sexier" choice for the NHL)

Markov was a slamdunk, and whether it was fan voting or not, he would be there, no question

And Komo...well... he is this years Rory Fitzpatrick, but just happened to have not had the NHL alter the votes and made it in (I mean, lets be honest here we ALL know Rory had the most votes, but the NHL probably just altered the outcome)... and because Komo is on the allstar team, is why the system needs to be changed. He is a fantastic player, anyone would take on their team, but he is a defensive defensman who has NEVER BROKE 20 POINTS IN AN NHL SEASON.... he has no business in an Allstar Game, just like Rory had no business in an allstar game.

Anyways, I think "back in tha day" the teams were selected by the Coaches and GM's...clearly they need to go back to that in order to avoid further situations like this year

On a side note, I think it would be a total class act on Komo's part if he gave up his spot to someone who deserves it.... but I won't blame him or be pissed if he goes, its not his fault habs fans are crazy homers and will do whatever it takes to get their boys in (its a compliment people, dont take it the wrong way)

However, you guys need to remember the ASG is for the FANS OF THE NHL...NOT the fans of the habs...because it is in Monteal, doesn't mean its exclusive to only Habs fans

Well maybe if fans of the rest of NHL were as passionate as Habs fans there might actually have been a race in the all star voting...It seems that fans of most NHL teams didn't give a crap about their teams players because of lack of votes.

I have read most of your angry comments about the Habs all star voting but don't come down on Hab fans for voting their favorite teams players.Blame the NHL for allowing it to happen.

The Habs probably have the most passionate and dedicated fans in the entire NHL and arguably the largest fan base and with the game this year in Montreal well you do the math... Call us homers all you want but I call it unlimited support for your favorite team and it's players.....

sheed36 is online now  
Old
01-03-2009, 03:05 PM
  #87
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Well maybe if fans of the rest of NHL were as passionate as Habs fans there might actually have been a race in the all star voting...It seems that fans of most NHL teams didn't give a crap about their teams players because of lack of votes.

I have read most of your angry comments about the Habs all star voting but don't come down on Hab fans for voting their favorite teams players.Blame the NHL for allowing it to happen.

The Habs probably have the most passionate and dedicated fans in the entire NHL and arguably the largest fan base and with the game this year in Montreal well you do the math... Call us homers all you want but I call it unlimited support for your favorite team and it's players.....
This is one of the best posts in this thread

 
Old
01-03-2009, 03:16 PM
  #88
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
This is one of the best posts in this thread
Thanks Chezz...

sheed36 is online now  
Old
01-03-2009, 03:23 PM
  #89
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Well maybe if fans of the rest of NHL were as passionate as Habs fans there might actually have been a race in the all star voting...It seems that fans of most NHL teams didn't give a crap about their teams players because of lack of votes.

I have read most of your angry comments about the Habs all star voting but don't come down on Hab fans for voting their favorite teams players.Blame the NHL for allowing it to happen.

The Habs probably have the most passionate and dedicated fans in the entire NHL and arguably the largest fan base and with the game this year in Montreal well you do the math... Call us homers all you want but I call it unlimited support for your favorite team and it's players.....
My friend, great post, I posted something similar but not so well put in the main board. Basically I said I found it disgraceful that even though the Bruins had the best team in the east, their fans couldn't manager to ger any of their players 200,000 votes and that instead of complaining about Habs fans voting for their favorite players, they should focus on showing a little more appreciation for their team. Funny, everybody in the main board ignored it, I wonder why.

HomaridII is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 03:29 PM
  #90
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'm well in my 40's, I fully understand the system. I also understand that the voting system is not working. I understand that the All-Star game is for All-Stars, not for fans from one team to try voting their players in no matter what (see the Fitzpatrick fiasco last year). It's ridiculous!

As much as I like Komo, you'll be hard pressed to convince anyone with any hockey sense what so ever that he's should be at that game ahead of Wideman, Green, Kaberle, Timonen or Bouwmeester, just to name a few!

All any of those guys needed to do to be a starter is to play in a market where hockey matters and their fans are passionate. If they choose to play in markets that could barely register 6 figure vote counts for them then they can't complain about not being noticed.

OV signed for 10 years in Washington, a market that did not care enough to vote for him. Of every single player that is starting in this ASG, they ALL come second to this guy's intensity. If anybody deserved to be there it's him but the system didn't allow for it.

If they set up a fanbased election process and the fans spoke what exactly is your point? If you voted Liberal and the Tories got in do you then state that the entire election process must be reviewed because the proper people didn't get elected?

Under the current system, Komi got more votes than anybody else and won so stop griping and whining about it. Saying others deserved it more is only opinion.

These other players will all be there anyway they just won't be starting. It's like the players that are starting the game are playing the whole game with all this complaining.

RushDP is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 03:46 PM
  #91
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
My friend, great post, I posted something similar but not so well put in the main board. Basically I said I found it disgraceful that even though the Bruins had the best team in the east, their fans couldn't manager to ger any of their players 200,000 votes and that instead of complaining about Habs fans voting for their favorite players, they should focus on showing a little more appreciation for their team. Funny, everybody in the main board ignored it, I wonder why.


Actually I just read your post on the main board after I posted here and we did basically say the same thing.Well done...You should know by now that anything Habs related on the main board here @ HF is either going to get bashed or ignored for the most part...

sheed36 is online now  
Old
01-03-2009, 03:59 PM
  #92
BrianR7
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
the nhl voting system is sad

BrianR7 is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 04:03 PM
  #93
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR7 View Post
the nhl voting system is sad
And what is even more sad is the people whining and complaining about the results...

sheed36 is online now  
Old
01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
  #94
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,779
vCash: 500
Official Announcement from the Habs regarding 4 All Star starters

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=401745

Nothing new except for an interesting little tidbit I did not know. Carey Price becomes only the second ever Canadiens goaltender to be voted an All Star Starter, the other is....., you guessed it:


Saint Patrick

HomaridII is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
  #95
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,482
vCash: 500
Toews getting in is just as bad as Kovalev getting in yet no one complains.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 04:17 PM
  #96
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
Just let him have his moment bro. I don't think he understands afterall, he had to ask for the link to vote what...3 times yesterday? I mean if you can't figure out voting for the NHL All-Star game can be found at the NHL website, you got bigger problems than being mad about Komi being in the game.
For one thing, I asked once. Find me the other two times I asked yesterday and your entire post MIGHT have some grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
Yes...but look at it this way...if you were to survery the league and ask if you can pick ANY 2 DEFENSEMEN in the EASTERN CONFERENCE do you think Komo would even be in the top 5??

Here is the probable list (in no particular order)

Mike Green, Zdeno Chara, Andrei Markov, Jay Bouwmestier, Sergi Gonchar

And lets be honest....if the trade on the table of Komo for ANY of these guys straight up (in some whacko dimension where Markov is on some other team other than the habs)...can you HONESTLY say NO?? Of course not, and claiming you would not take that trade...its a bold face lie
Amen to not being blinded by bias here. Way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
All any of those guys needed to do to be a starter is to play in a market where hockey matters and their fans are passionate. If they choose to play in markets that could barely register 6 figure vote counts for them then they can't complain about not being noticed.

OV signed for 10 years in Washington, a market that did not care enough to vote for him. Of every single player that is starting in this ASG, they ALL come second to this guy's intensity. If anybody deserved to be there it's him but the system didn't allow for it.

If they set up a fanbased election process and the fans spoke what exactly is your point? If you voted Liberal and the Tories got in do you then state that the entire election process must be reviewed because the proper people didn't get elected?

Under the current system, Komi got more votes than anybody else and won so stop griping and whining about it. Saying others deserved it more is only opinion.

These other players will all be there anyway they just won't be starting. It's like the players that are starting the game are playing the whole game with all this complaining.
And that's where the system fails...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
And what is even more sad is the people whining and complaining about the results...
It may be sad, but it's not ridiculous like the bias of local fans. If someone can't honestly say that Wideman, Green, Kaberle, Timonen or Bouwmeester don't deserve to be at the ASG ahead of Komo, there's a bigger problem right there... probably the same group thinking that Kovalev is a star in this league.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 04:18 PM
  #97
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,076
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Glad for Komi but its for sure kinda weird. I mean he's great but how would this board react if Paul Martin made it ahead of Markov. Because Komi made it ahead of some other team's own Markov

Joey is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 04:22 PM
  #98
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Glad for Komi but its for sure kinda weird. I mean he's great but how would this board react if Paul Martin made it ahead of Markov. Because Komi made it ahead of some other team's own Markov
Someone who can see clear.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 04:27 PM
  #99
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Someone who can see clear.
There are 29 other teams in the league with 29 other fan-bases.

If they wanted other players or their own players to make it so badly they could have easily voted them in. But they didn't care, and this is what happened.

The NHL encourages fans to vote for their favourite players, the Montreal fans spoke loudest and got what they wanted. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

I suppose you were equally upset with all the ridiculous players who have played in the all-star game in the past who weren't voted in?

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
01-03-2009, 04:31 PM
  #100
airlouche
Registered User
 
airlouche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 768
vCash: 500
This is ridiculous, no one of them deserve to be there. Maybe Kovalev......

airlouche is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.