HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1/3/09 "Snow Fleurys" - Panthers VS. Penguins

View Poll Results: Who snow-blows over the other team?
Panthers 20 80.00%
Penguins 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

vCash: 500
(being coy here)

Not sure, but did it end 8-2 Pittsburgh as was predicted earlier?

Old
01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
Without Bouw and Boynton, a strong defense becomes pretty barren. I doubt Zetterberg or Hossa come to Florida anytime soon. If they do, it would be in the last years of their career as has been a tradition with the cats.

Good to see the cats pick up a much needed win, and keep the hope alive. Have to agree with you Laus about Crosby and Malkin. At least the refs didn't fall for Malkin's acting today.
I would think we have a shot with Hossa since Detroit will likely re-sign Zetterberg and JM has "connections" to him.

Boynton is a better teammate than a defenseman and in a salary cap era he isn't worth 3 mill a year. Our defense is downgraded but still solid while our offense should increase dramatically.

Old
01-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Anyone else stuck listening to the homer Pens announcers?
Yes.

Re entire game:

Old
01-03-2009, 04:36 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
keep the steamroll going boys.

Old
01-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I would think we have a shot with Hossa since Detroit will likely re-sign Zetterberg and JM has "connections" to him.

Boynton is a better teammate than a defenseman and in a salary cap era he isn't worth 3 mill a year. Our defense is downgraded but still solid while our offense should increase dramatically.
I'll buy that JM connection when I see it. I'm not saying Boynton is a great d-man but this

Allen/Skra-Bouw
Boynton-Ballard
McCabe-Allen/Skra/Cullimore

looks a lot better than this

Ballard-Allen
McCabe-Skra
Welch/Ellerby-Murphy/Cullimore/might as well give Pavel Trnka a try-out

Old
01-03-2009, 04:55 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
I'll buy that JM connection when I see it. I'm not saying Boynton is a great d-man but this

Allen/Skra-Bouw
Boynton-Ballard
McCabe-Allen/Skra/Cullimore

looks a lot better than this

Ballard-Allen
McCabe-Skra
Welch/Ellerby-Murphy/Cullimore
I conceded that our D wouldn't be as good but our offense would increase dramatically.

Old
01-03-2009, 04:56 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
There is no reason to let go of Boynton next year. The cap will probably go down $1-3 million, and with that happening, we will still be under by over $20 million. With the only significant signing we have being Booth, we would have enough money to resign Boynton, Welch, Stewart, and a good UFA if we wanted. So the D could look like:

Ballard - Allen
Boynton - McCabe
Welch-Ellerby/Cully/UFA

Old
01-03-2009, 04:58 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
There is no reason to let go of Boynton next year. The cap will probably go down $1-3 million, and with that happening, we will still be under by over $20 million. With the only significant signing we have being Booth, we would have enough money to resign Boynton, Welch, Stewart, and a good UFA if we wanted.
Boynton is not worth 3 mill.

Old
01-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
I conceded that our D wouldn't be as good but our offense would increase dramatically.
Look at all the good Hossa did for Atlanta last year. This team needs to maintain its strengths while improving areas where it is weak. Just my 2 bits, and I know you doubt Bouwmeester will stick around.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Ballard seems more comfortable when teamed up with Boynton, and I like him on the team. He'd have to take a discount, imo, but I'd be more than happy to keep him, especially if we don't get someone better than TarNasty at fighting.

01-03-2009, 05:03 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Look at all the good Hossa did for Atlanta last year. This team needs to maintain it's strengths while improving areas where it is weak. Just my 2 bits, and I know you doubt Bouwmeester will stick around.
My whole statement is premised on Bouw being traded. Comparing us to Atlanta isn't fair.

We would finally have that elite forward this team desperately needs.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
My whole statement is premised on Bouw being traded. Comparing us to Atlanta isn't fair.

We would finally have that elite forward this team desperately needs.
Keep pulling key players away, Bouwmeester and even Boynton, and the team isn't that far from Atlanta.

Not fair? One thing this team has on Atlanta is defense. Take that away, and I don't see how much better they really are.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:09 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Keep pulling key players away, Bouwmeester and even Boynton, and the team isn't that far from Atlanta.

Not fair? One thing this team has on Atlanta is defense. Take that away, and I don't see how much better they really are.
You seem to not give credit to a much improved offense. One that would finally have a superstar. Also, Boynton is too expensive for what he brings to this team. I'm sure there are other d-men available who could be signed to replace him or at least signed to 3 million a year who would be better.

Ballard - Allen
McCabe- Skrastins (if re-signed)
Ellerby-????

Still a solid D.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:15 PM
RainingRats

(D) Beauchemin, Francois ($1,650,000)
(D) Hedican, Bret ($870,500)
(D) Montador, Steve ($800,000
(D) Leopold, Jordan ($1,500,000)
(D) Skoula, Martin ($1,900,000)
(D) de Vries, Greg ($2,750,000)
(D) Zanon, Greg ($750,000)
(D) Koistinen, Ville ($700,000)
(D) Oduya, Johnny ($600,000)
(D) Kalinin, Dmitri ($2,100,000)
(D) Mara, Paul ($1,950,000
(D) Alberts, Andrew ($1,400,000)

just some ufa d-men

Old
01-03-2009, 05:17 PM
RainingRats

Steve Montador is someone who could replace Boynton if he would sign here and do what Boynton does in addition to be being cheaper.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
You seem to not give credit to a much improved offense. One that would finally have a superstar. Also, Boynton is too expensive for what he brings to this team. I'm sure there are other d-men available who could be signed to replace him or at least signed to 3 million a year who would be better.

Ballard - Allen
McCabe- Skrastins (if re-signed)
Ellerby-????

Still a solid D.
Ellerby hasn't shown that he is ready for the NHL, and while that group might seem solid, aside from Ballard they lack speed and would be destroyed by any injury. As for not giving credit to a much improved offense, I doubt JM is that connected to Hossa to get him to sign here after turning down more money to go to Detroit this year. He will sign with a team he knows has a shot at winning.

Look at Florida vs. Atlanta right now

Florida 99 GF 105 GA
Atlanta 114GF 142 GA

What makes Florida a better team?

Old
01-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
(D) Beauchemin, Francois ($1,650,000)
(D) Hedican, Bret ($870,500)
(D) Montador, Steve ($800,000
(D) Leopold, Jordan ($1,500,000)
(D) Skoula, Martin ($1,900,000)
(D) de Vries, Greg ($2,750,000)
(D) Zanon, Greg ($750,000)
(D) Koistinen, Ville ($700,000)
(D) Oduya, Johnny ($600,000)
(D) Kalinin, Dmitri ($2,100,000)
(D) Mara, Paul ($1,950,000
(D) Alberts, Andrew ($1,400,000)

just some ufa d-men
And how many of those guys are going to be overpaid or sign with their original teams?

Old
01-03-2009, 05:23 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Ellerby hasn't shown that he is ready for the NHL, and while that group might seem solid, aside from Ballard they lack speed and would be destroyed by any injury. As for not giving credit to a much improved offense, I doubt JM is that connected to Hossa to get him to sign here after turning down more money to go to Detroit this year. He will sign with a team he knows has a shot at winning.

Look at Florida vs. Atlanta right now

Florida 99 GF 105 GA
Atlanta 114GF 142 GA

What makes Florida a better team?
The idea that defense is based mainly on the quality of your defensemen isn't completely true. Defense is a team game and we've played our best D when our forwards come back to help out. In addition, Pete's system is a major factor as is our goaltending. Furthermore, with a better offense we would have more puck possesion, thus limiting chances for the opponent. In my opinion the best defense is a good offense. You keep comparing us to Atlanta which as previously mentioned is unfair. Look at Washington. Their D, with the exception of Green is hardly noteworthy.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:23 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
And how many of those guys are going to be overpaid or sign with their original teams?
We would only need one. Or we could re-sign Culli, who I like.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
The idea that defense is based mainly on the quality of your defensemen isn't completely true. Defense is a team game and we've played our best D when our forwards come back to help out. In addition, Pete's system is a major factor as is our goaltending. Furthermore, with a better offense we would have more puck possesion, thus limiting chances for the opponent. In my opinion the best defense is a good offense. You keep comparing us to Atlanta which as previously mentioned is unfair. Look at Washington. Their D, with the exception of Green is hardly noteworthy.
I'm comparing the team to Atlanta because of the Hossa delusion. It's not unfair just because you say so. The reason I don't compare them to Washington is that the teams are built entirely differently. The Cats aren't stockpiled with talented forwards, and they are not one Hossa away from being there.

In your renovation of the teams defense you fail to make back-up plans for injury, and seem to deny that the team's defense would suffer any dramatic set back from the loss of Bouwmeester. There is a reason Allen and Skrastins look as sound as they do out there, and I think it has a name. Sure a team can be good with no name d-men, but they can be even better with proven talent. I'd rather not go back to the days where half the defense was comprised of eastern block borderline players and an oversized french canadien lumberjack with a talented brother.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:36 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
I'm comparing the team to Atlanta because of the Hossa delusion. It's not unfair just because you say so. The reason I don't compare them to Washington is that the teams are built entirely differently. The Cats aren't stockpiled with talented forwards, and they are not one Hossa away from being there.

In your renovation of the teams defense you fail to make back-up plans for injury, and seem to deny that the team's defense would suffer any dramatic set back from the loss of Bouwmeester. There is a reason Allen and Skrastins look as sound as they do out there, and I think it has a name. Sure a team can be good with no name d-men, but they can be even better with proven talent. I'd rather not go back to the days where half the defense was comprised of eastern block borderline players and an oversized french canadien lumberjack with a talented brother.
Your comparison to Atlanta makes no sense and is extremely self serving. Just because they had Hossa doesn't in any way relate to this team. The Panthers *might* be a similar team to Atlanta if they lose Bouw and don't replace him. However, you can't possibly think losing Bouw and replacing him with Hossa makes us worse, its at least a lateral move.

Again, everything is premised on losing Bouw. I believe our team will be better off spending money on a top forward. Offer a solution.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:40 PM
RainingRats

Lines

Booth Horton Hossa
Stillman Weiss Frolik
Olesz Kreps Repik?
Tarnasky Soup Stewart
McClean

Allen Ballard
McCabe Skrastins
Welch/Ellerby/Cullimore/Montador

Vokoun
???

Old
01-03-2009, 05:40 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Boynton is not worth 3 mill.
What are you talking about? I never said he is worth that much, and he wont get that much next season. If he would re-sign, I expect it to be around $2 million.

We are at $30.6 million next season, which will be anywhere from $23-25 million under the cap.
Our UFAs are:
Skrastins
Cully
Boynton
Dvo
Zednik
Pelts
Sprukts
Murphy
Anderson

And our RFAs are:
Booth
Stewart
Glass
Welch

I think $10 million total will get all our RFAs, one of Skrastins and Boynton, and one of Pelts, Dvo or Zednik resigned, and that is with Booth getting around $3.5 million per long term. Then comes the situation in net. If Andy is resigned and Vokoun shipped off, we probably will be, at worse, the same cap number after we sign a backup to Andy. So we will have around $12 million to fill this team out. That gives us a possibility to add a top tier forward to this team. We cant forget though what Bouwmeester would bring back to this team, since Im not counting him in this equation.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
Just as its 2-0, the highest ice time amongst forwards is Dvorak & Campbell. Now I know why this team struggles.
Because were always on the PK. They are our top PK killers.

As for Horton.. He played better but didnt really generate much else than get those break away goals. He had a horrible turnover in the offensive zone early in the game too. I hope he starts scoring again and stops floating around.

Overall.. We played a good game on forward from when Pelts scored. Penguins were really bad... really bad.. they seemed like our usual Panthers out there and didnt give a rats arse. It's not like we out hustled them they just played really bad. I hope this win gets our guys some confidence going and they start to forecheck again, keep the gap between the forward and d much closer. Pre x-mas break. Tomorrows game should say alot.

Old
01-03-2009, 05:45 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
What are you talking about? I never said he is worth that much, and he wont get that much next season. If he would re-sign, I expect it to be around $2 million.

We are at $30.6 million next season, which will be anywhere from $23-25 million under the cap.
Our UFAs are:
Skrastins
Cully
Boynton
Dvo
Zednik
Pelts
Sprukts
Murphy
Anderson

And our RFAs are:
Booth
Stewart
Glass
Welch

I think $10 million total will get all our RFAs, one of Skrastins and Boynton, and one of Pelts, Dvo or Zednik resigned, and that is with Booth getting around $3.5 million per long term. Then comes the situation in net. If Andy is resigned and Vokoun shipped off, we probably will be, at worse, the same cap number after we sign a backup to Andy. So we will have around $12 million to fill this team out. That gives us a possibility to add a top tier forward to this team. We cant forget though what Bouwmeester would bring back to this team, since Im not counting him in this equation.
He might be able to get 3 mill. He is having a solid year. See Jeff Finger.

Cap wise we're sitting pretty. I think Zednik is gone and I thought I read something about Peltonen wanting to go back to Europe, but who knows. I wish we could have given Olesz's contract to Booth.

As for Vokoun, I would trade him but I doubt it happens. I see us losing Andy, trading him for a solid return if we're not in the the playoff hunt. Signing a backup for one year since our goalie gem should be ready Vokoun's final year.

Closed Thread