HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

York in Chicago, may play on sunday!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2004, 03:28 AM
  #1
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,565
vCash: 500
York in Chicago, may play on sunday!

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmont...06/372143.html

As glad as I am to hear this, I can't shake the feeling that York's being rushed back AGAIN.

If York does play (the article makes it sound like a better than 50% chance IMO), who the heck sits?

Digger12 is online now  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:45 AM
  #2
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,766
vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
who the heck sits?
who eels other than Chimmer MacT will surely bench him if york is ready

Laraque going to get by again cuz of recent play

wouldn't be surprised to see him with Stoll and Laraque at the start

Vyse64 is online now  
Old
03-06-2004, 08:19 AM
  #3
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmont...06/372143.html

As glad as I am to hear this, I can't shake the feeling that York's being rushed back AGAIN.

If York does play (the article makes it sound like a better than 50% chance IMO), who the heck sits?
The article makes it quite clear that he was waiting for the doctors clearance and it was HIS decision.

If he is being rushed back, it is hiim that is rushing himself back. Direct quotes from the article
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The doctor said it's up to me, as long as I feel comfortable with it and understand the risks."

It was left up to me and I said that I wanted to get back in there. So I'm flying in."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------







.


Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 03-06-2004 at 08:25 AM.
hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 09:25 AM
  #4
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,056
vCash: 500
I am not worried about rushing him back. This is finger injury, not a knee or shoulder. If he is good to go, then get him in there. We have big games coming up and it would be great to have a few under his belt before then.

torres - nedved - devo
smyth - horcoff - york
ethan - stoll - hemsky
chimmer - oates - laraque

is a huge upgrade over the lines of a week ago. I wonder who izzy is going to bump?

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 09:40 AM
  #5
WFHACommish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 425
vCash: 500
When Izzy gets back, I think our lines will look like this.

york, nedved, dvorak
smyth, horcoff, isbister
moreau, oates, hemsky
torres, stoll, laraque

Torres did had some chemistry with laraque and stoll before.

Not a bad set of lines.

That leaves out chimera, bishai, pisani and reasoner (injured).

WFHACommish is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 10:02 AM
  #6
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
So I guess Bisahi goes back to TO

obviously and I hope Oates is the one replaced by York but I think it will be Hemsky.

Matts is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 10:15 AM
  #7
Oiltalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
I think Chimera comes out.

Torres-Nedved-Dvorak
Smyth-Horcoff-Pisani(Why break up a line that is playing well?)
Moreau-Oates-Hemsky
York-Stoll-Isbister/Laraque

With Pisani out

Torres-Nedved-Dvorak
Smyth-Horcoff-Isbister
Moreau-Oates-Hemsky
York-Stoll-Laraque

As soon as York gets his legs back switch him with Torres.

Oiltalk is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 10:26 AM
  #8
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
The article makes it quite clear that he was waiting for the doctors clearance and it was HIS decision.

If he is being rushed back, it is hiim that is rushing himself back. Direct quotes from the article
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The doctor said it's up to me, as long as I feel comfortable with it and understand the risks."

It was left up to me and I said that I wanted to get back in there. So I'm flying in."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haha, Spaz is this akin to the argument we had a while back? That's fine if the doctor gave him a choice and he wants to play. I don't blame him - that's what every player in the same position (for the most part) will choose. But sometimes I think it would be in the management's decision if they sat him down until the doctor says he is 100% or at least close enough... It was brutal watching Janne play last year on what could not have been more than 60 on that knee.

momentai is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 10:28 AM
  #9
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,056
vCash: 500
nm

nm

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 10:57 AM
  #10
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
As glad as I am to hear this, I can't shake the feeling that York's being rushed back AGAIN.
...
C'mon, Digger, it's tradition :p The Oilers have repeated this same mistake ad nauseum for years and years. It just wouldn't seem right if they changed their ways now.

igor* is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 11:00 AM
  #11
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Wow... already blaming stuff on the team and nothing has happened yet.

As much as they would like York back, the team has been awesome the past several weeks, and there is no need to rush him back.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 11:11 AM
  #12
Obsessed
Registered User
 
Obsessed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Devon, AB
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
After watching York play with a broken scaphoid its safe to say that he cannot hurt this team. He is so smart with the puck that even at 50% he is better than Isbister. As long as his legs are going he will help.

I like the chemistry of Torres Nedved Dvo so I wouldnt want to mess with that. I say put him on the fourth line for extra defensive reliability until he is ready to take on a greater role.

Torres Nedved Dvo
Smyth Horc Pisani
Moreau Oates Hemsky
York Stoll Laraque

Thats a solid combination.

We have a logjam of players though.. A few extra wheel on the front and back end? Lowes got some decisions to make before Tuesday...

Obsessed is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 11:16 AM
  #13
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
obviously and I hope Oates is the one replaced by York but I think it will be Hemsky.
Yeah, if York comes back they really should play him at centre. He's played very well there and that's the position they need him to be effective at in the future.

Oates is the obvious guy to be replaced from a logical POV. He's on the "liability line" ... (heck Hemmer probably wouldn't recognize the best forwards in the league if he met them on the street ... he hasn't seen any of them up close. ) With Moreau babysitting on the left side ... it would be a good place to break York back into the lineup IMHO. Even with York sporting injury and out of game shape ... he can't possibly be any worse defensively than Oates.

We'll see ... a tough decision for sure. I'd be a bit leary of pulling Oates though ... he has a history of being a really bytchy fokk when things don't go his way. Might be bad for the room.

BTW: You gotta be impressed with MacTavish's handling of Oates so far. And especially in handling the media on the subject. He has really protected Adam, and the truthspeak about Oates being 'a tremendous defensive player' Good gravy, he was a crap defensive player in his prime ... and now he's even worse. But MacTavish seems to be able to quietly bully these media guys on this sort of thing, IMO none of them have the confidence to directly contradict him in print.

igor* is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 11:26 AM
  #14
Cowboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
I doubt Oates will sit, there is no way pisani will sit, and i think chimera has really played well on that line and will get to play. York will probably bump hemsky, even though my lines would have york playing with hemsky and smyth. We'll see what happens.

Cowboy is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 11:39 AM
  #15
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
I would go ahead and pull Oates, because if York is back you can probably go ahead and deal Oates anyways, no?
Oates isn't a crucial piece of this team's playoff run, if someone offers a decent pick for him, why not?

speeds is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 11:53 AM
  #16
Hemmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ethan Moreau for MVP! NOW! VOTE!
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
I doubt Oates will sit, there is no way pisani will sit, and i think chimera has really played well on that line and will get to play. York will probably bump hemsky, even though my lines would have york playing with hemsky and smyth. We'll see what happens.
These are good points. I could see one of the following lineups:

Smyth - Horc - Pisani
T - N - D
Moreau Oates York
Chimera Stoll Laraque

or

Smyth - Horc - Pisani
T -N - D
Moreau - Oates - Hemsky
York - Stoll - Laraque

Myself, I would make up a 4th/PP line of York, Oates and Hemmer and put Moreau with Stoll and Laraque on the third line (relative to icetime) to start the game and shuffle them around as the game progresses.

Hemmer is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:08 PM
  #17
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I would go ahead and pull Oates, because if York is back you can probably go ahead and deal Oates anyways, no?
Oates isn't a crucial piece of this team's playoff run, if someone offers a decent pick for him, why not?
Do you really think that Oates is tradeable, that a playoff team would have a place for him? I dunno, maybe But to me his career has fallen off the table. He was brought in to help the powerplay, and he hasn't done that. Much like Lamouriello's similar gamble with Larionov ... it just didn't work.

And much like Larionov, I have trouble finding a team that would see benefit in acquiring Oates at this point. Though if Lowe can move him for something, anything, he deserves kudos IMO.

igor* is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:16 PM
  #18
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Do you really think that Oates is tradeable, that a playoff team would have a place for him? I dunno, maybe But to me his career has fallen off the table. He was brought in to help the powerplay, and he hasn't done that. Much like Lamouriello's similar gamble with Larionov ... it just didn't work.

And much like Larionov, I have trouble finding a team that would see benefit in acquiring Oates at this point. Though if Lowe can move him for something, anything, he deserves kudos IMO.
I can't see how it would hurt a contender to add a faceoff guy like Oates if the cost is something pretty cheap? If he's unmoveable, then I guess he's here to stay

speeds is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:17 PM
  #19
GorillazXL
Registered User
 
GorillazXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
If York does play tomorrow I would rather him play the wing then at center, until he gets back to form...

Torres - Nedved - Dvorak
See if there is any chemistry with these guys or is the frst game just a flash in the pan... Though seeing them on that first powerplay against StLouis was great, they seemed to click and for once in a long time the Edmonton powerplay looked dangerous.

York - Stoll - Hemsky
Both York ans Stoll are defensively solid, Hemsky has York to pass to for one timers

Smyth - Horcoff - Pisani
Its beyond me how this line gelled together but why mess with something that is working well

Moreau - Oates - Laraque
Oates hasn't been able to find anyone to pass to, so why not give him a go with the two pluggers in the lineup, can't do much worse then is now


GXL

GorillazXL is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:36 PM
  #20
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
If York does play tomorrow I would rather him play the wing then at center, until he gets back to form...

Torres - Nedved - Dvorak
See if there is any chemistry with these guys or is the frst game just a flash in the pan... Though seeing them on that first powerplay against StLouis was great, they seemed to click and for once in a long time the Edmonton powerplay looked dangerous.

York - Stoll - Hemsky
Both York ans Stoll are defensively solid, Hemsky has York to pass to for one timers

Smyth - Horcoff - Pisani
Its beyond me how this line gelled together but why mess with something that is working well

Moreau - Oates - Laraque
Oates hasn't been able to find anyone to pass to, so why not give him a go with the two pluggers in the lineup, can't do much worse then is now


GXL
Of all combinations, I like this the most. Let Hemsky have some offense again on his line. I love Moreau and he has worked his ass off this year, But hemsky needs some imagination and skill to play with.

Chimmer has been great recently but it is a numbers game and he isn't going to draw in over Torres, Smyth Moreau and York on the LW. No biggie this is only his second year and I still expect big things from him. He is still young.

s7ark is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 02:04 PM
  #21
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
The only problem with pulling Oates is this:

Both Stoll and Horcoff get into face-off funks where they can't win draws (i.e. against St. Louis)... now, if you take Oates out, you could end up with 3 guys lining up at centre who can't win a draw.

That being said, the only line that isn't going as well as the others is the Moreau-Oates-Hemsky line, and Oates didn't see the ice much against the Blues (mind you neither did Hemsky...).

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 02:09 PM
  #22
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Of all combinations, I like this the most. Let Hemsky have some offense again on his line. I love Moreau and he has worked his ass off this year, But hemsky needs some imagination and skill to play with.

Chimmer has been great recently but it is a numbers game and he isn't going to draw in over Torres, Smyth Moreau and York on the LW. No biggie this is only his second year and I still expect big things from him. He is still young.
Still, it's tough to bench a guy when he is playing the best hockey of the season, and has found his niche (Chimera). If anything, pull out one of Oates or Hemsky (Oates would be my choice because Hemsky has been creating a lot lately, 4 assists in 5 games), because that 4th line has been very good, and very important for the Oilers.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 02:18 PM
  #23
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Still, it's tough to bench a guy when he is playing the best hockey of the season, and has found his niche (Chimera). If anything, pull out one of Oates or Hemsky (Oates would be my choice because Hemsky has been creating a lot lately, 4 assists in 5 games), because that 4th line has been very good, and very important for the Oilers.


Hmmm all valid points... I may have to reconsider and see what Lines I can come up with here.

s7ark is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 02:54 PM
  #24
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I can't see how it would hurt a contender to add a faceoff guy like Oates if the cost is something pretty cheap? If he's unmoveable, then I guess he's here to stay
Detroit?

momentai is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:22 PM
  #25
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Remember what Holland said the other day

said if he was gonna move anyone he'd be looking for a soft trade for the bottom six.

Yzerman isn't gonna play much centreanymorefor the Wings,it would seem. So they thought they needed to address centre before they got Lang but then Draper goes down and then Datsyuk.

So now they really need a centre.

It looks like a perfect match.

Matts is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.