HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the hell is wrong with gomez?

Old
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Ice Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
no heart on this team..it really makes me sad. just looking at ovechkin tonight, the guy is thirsty for wins. i don't see that in one player on this team except for prucha and callahan.
This is the saddest thing for me to watch. There have been a few games where it looks like a combined effort but I haven't seen guys leave everything on the ice for some time now this season. Last night against the caps was pathetic and I was disgusted with their lack of heart. Even Dubinsky seems to be taking a cue from Redden, Gomez and the rest of them and starting to rest on his laurels... and what laurels? The kid can be replaced.

Add Korp to the list.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:27 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Let's generalize now shall we. Sure there is a chance it will happen, but let's wait until it actually does
I don't see it as an unfair statement. This team has no cap space to upgrade the team and no wingers coming up through the system. How are we going to get this bum going?

I said the Gomez, Drury and Redden signings would be moves this team would go on to regret. I didn't need to wait to see I was correct. I'd rather not wait to find this out, either.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:14 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Didn't you get the memo? The new PP strategy is:

1. Give Gomez the puck
2. In the neutral zone before the blue line, shoot puck in
3. Shot must be aimed at goalies chest
4. Puck gets cleared
5. Successfully killed off 30seconds from said PP
6. Repeat steps 1-5 accordingly

So much for a dump and chase game. The new plan is just play the plain old dump game. Chasing is for the weak.
step 5a: give up shorthanded goal.
step5b: give up altogether and lose game.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Fletch

Sting...

that's basically it. The Drury signing, at those rates, was a bit off the charts, but unfortunately at the time those were about what it would've cost. The cap kept going up and thus a guy like Drury cost around $7MM. The cap's a new thing still and I believe they're still trying to understand how to maneuver within it.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
What's wrong with Gomer is the same thing that wrong with all of them: Their confidence is absolutely, completely shot. It doesn't take long to lose, and it takes forever to get it back.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
What's wrong with Gomer is the same thing that wrong with all of them: Their confidence is absolutely, completely shot. It doesn't take long to lose, and it takes forever to get it back.

A coach can help with getting it back

BrianLeetch2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 03:36 PM
bubba5

Maybe they are just not that good. Maybe they are better role players on other teams then goto guys on this team. Gomer had a lot of good players around him in Jersey, as has Drury through his NHL life. Redden just plan old sucks, and Naslund is a solid not great player.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Maybe they are just not that good. Maybe they are better role players on other teams then goto guys on this team. Gomer had a lot of good players around him in Jersey, as has Drury through his NHL life. Redden just plan old sucks, and Naslund is a solid not great player.
Absolutely correct. Neither Drury or Gomez is capable of carrying a team. They have never been asked to do it before and it's clearly not happening now.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:14 PM
SML

One of the problems I've noticed is that the Rangers breakout, at least for the powerplay, seems so focused on Gomez that nobody else knows what to do. I'm so tired of seeing the dman stand behind his own net with the puck waiting for Gomez to comeback and get it. I know the guy skates well thru the Neutral zone, but it's so predictable it's disgusting. Once he gets the puck, he is not going to pass it. That's what's changed in my opinion. He picks that puck up and starts skating and the entire other team knows they don't have to cover anybody else because Gomez isn't giving the puck up until he gains the zone or dumps it in. Somebody else should carry it once in awhile or Gomez should pass it once he's got it, just to change it upand keep the D honest.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Ice Hockey

I'd like to see them dump and chase along with crashing the net. It's discouraging to see someone like Dubi or Gomez (when he doesn't turn the puck over) carry the puck deep into the zone and not one blue shirt is in front of the net or even along the boards to support a potential cycle.

I've also noticed that the Rangers are trapping wayyyyy back-- with both defenders-- even in situations where they're behind on the scoreboard!

When the rangers hustle on the forecheck, hit and crash the net, they are contenders... when they don't, they play like bums.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Balej20*

There's nothing wrong with him, he's playing exactly the sameway he's always played. The question is, what the hell was wrong with Sather and everyone else who thought this guy was something different.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 05:36 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
There's nothing wrong with him, he's playing exactly the sameway he's always played. The question is, what the hell was wrong with Sather and everyone else who thought this guy was something different.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:30 PM
McMonster

I don't think I've seen him hit the net once with that stupid slapshot.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:34 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Yep. Remember him being more dangerous in close games though.

Maybe that was just against the Rangers then.....

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:24 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
He also loses the puck all the ****ing time
This... it's so ****ing annoying!

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:38 PM
The 29th Pick
By By Bernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
You guys should coax Larry Robinson out of "coaching retirement", he'd get Gomer going

The 29th Pick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWESGOTPAWES View Post
no heart on this team..it really makes me sad. just looking at ovechkin tonight, the guy is thirsty for wins. i don't see that in one player on this team except for prucha and callahan.
100% correct. Ovechkin is sick.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:52 PM
The 29th Pick
By By Bernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Ovechkin is.......well........beyond human, players like him only come around once a decade or so.

The 29th Pick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:55 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
Maybe. I mean, these guys are pro's, you'd think they'd know where to find the confidence. It's way, way harder to get it back than you make it seem. It's just one of those things. That slump had most of the guys searching for it. Most of them have gotten it back, he's one of the guys that still doesn't have any confidence.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:49 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hargsy View Post
You guys should coax Larry Robinson out of "coaching retirement", he'd get Gomer going
That would be interesting.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Prospalous

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
did you see him sitting on the edge of the bench, literally roaring to go the second he gets a chance. i don't give a damn who you are, EVERYONE on this team should be like that, wanting to be the difference maker (especially when a few starting spots are still in question). And thats why I, and I'm sure millions of other fans love this kid.

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:33 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
One of the problems I've noticed is that the Rangers breakout, at least for the powerplay, seems so focused on Gomez that nobody else knows what to do. I'm so tired of seeing the dman stand behind his own net with the puck waiting for Gomez to comeback and get it. I know the guy skates well thru the Neutral zone, but it's so predictable it's disgusting. Once he gets the puck, he is not going to pass it. That's what's changed in my opinion. He picks that puck up and starts skating and the entire other team knows they don't have to cover anybody else because Gomez isn't giving the puck up until he gains the zone or dumps it in. Somebody else should carry it once in awhile or Gomez should pass it once he's got it, just to change it upand keep the D honest.
This was a huge problem in NJ during Gomez's last season there. What started out as a great way to get the puck up the ice became predictable and teams figured out a way to stop it.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:51 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

He's playing exactly like he did in his last year with the Devils, possibly worse. Lazy, un-motivated and predictable.

Except he had Elias and Gionta, I don't see anybody of that calibre on the Ranger roster. Zherdev, but they wont ever mesh.

He should be traded while he still has value. Plenty of teams out there that dont even have a 2nd line centre.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:53 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
He's playing exactly like he did in his last year with the Devils, possibly worse. Lazy, un-motivated and predictable.

Except he had Elias and Gionta, I don't see anybody of that calibre on the Ranger roster. Zherdev, but they wont ever mesh.

He should be traded while he still has value. Plenty of teams out there that dont even have a 2nd line centre.
Elias and Gionta??

Ok, Elias is a very good player (when he wants to be). But if you are talking about calibre, Naslund, Drury, Zherdev and arguably Prucha can be put up there Gionta....

Come on man, Gomez has players he can work with.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:40 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post

How quickly you forget his post-season. He carried the Devils offensively. But since that doesn't fit your argument, we'll gloss over it.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote