HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1-4-09 Wild at Avs 6 PM MT

Old
01-04-2009, 11:26 PM
quesosauce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
Really?
mayveb not his carereer, but he was freaking grood tonkte

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:31 PM
quesosauce

i should aslo stop foruiming whilst drunk!

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifux View Post
my girlfriend was laughing the whole time saying the same thing...
It`s exactly what I think whenever I hear that name. Probably most people think that though.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:28 AM
PeterTheGreat

It's nice to see Wolski back at center. It suits his game much better. Less grinding in the corners, more time with the puck in space to make plays. Also his skating and defensive play can really shine playing center and I believe it will. Having him and Stastny center the top 2 lines in the future should be pretty good.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:21 AM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
At this point, I think it might be best just to focus on how our youngs guys are playing and developing instead of clinging to this notion of being able to compete with the better teams in this league and making the playoffs. If we are able to hang around until Stastny gets back...great but I think it's unlikely.

Smart play by Hensick to get the puck out after losing his stick.

Nice pass by Wolski to Lappy to draw a penalty.

Very good point...that is one of two coping methods for dealing with this season...as the other involves heavy liver damage, I'm just gonna enjoy watching the growth of Hensick, Jones and Stewart...and the move of Wolski to center.

As long as the kids compete hard and don't give up, I'm not gonna worry about the scoreboard or the W/L column the rest of the season. They'll learn and get better as a group.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:09 AM
chiavsfan

I have found myself just sitting back and laughing at this point. The humor of this team, combined with the homer announcers and the lack of coaching has me watching for the comedy alone.

Heck, now we see Foote starting to act like a Tucker...that's never good. Granato has lost control (did he ever really have it?) the way Hartley lost control

Last edited by chiavsfan: 01-05-2009 at 09:26 AM.
chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
^^^ this has inspired me to change my avatar for a bit...

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:34 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
This team is so predictable that I have started beating against them...and winning .....$250 over the last 3 games alone. Magnus Svensson- Paajarvi here we come

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

The Cubbard's Bare!!!

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:00 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
Really?
As a noted Wolski hater, he was very good tonight. Hopefully he can put together 10 games like that, get some confidence, and put up some points. This season looks to be gone with all the injuries so we should give Hensick, Stewart, Jones, etc the ice time to improve their games. Maybe call up Cumiskey too.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
As a noted Wolski hater, he was very good tonight. Hopefully he can put together 10 games like that, get some confidence, and put up some points. This season looks to be gone with all the injuries so we should give Hensick, Stewart, Jones, etc the ice time to improve their games. Maybe call up Cumiskey too.
That would take ice time away from Arnason.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:21 AM
ColoradoHockeyFan

I actually thought the Avs played a pretty decent game.

Not sure if that's good or bad.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:27 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
That would take ice time away from Arnason.
Oh yeah. I keep forgetting he is on the team. I wonder why?

Old
01-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
I've been very harsh on Wolski too, but I also posted that he a had a very good game. I fail to see how it was his best game as a pro though.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Very good point...that is one of two coping methods for dealing with this season...as the other involves heavy liver damage, I'm just gonna enjoy watching the growth of Hensick, Jones and Stewart...and the move of Wolski to center.

As long as the kids compete hard and don't give up, I'm not gonna worry about the scoreboard or the W/L column the rest of the season. They'll learn and get better as a group.
That's how I feel at this point, Tex. Hopefully at the deadline FG will ship some guys out (Clark, Arnason, Lappy, Salei and maybe Svatos if the right deal came across the table) and we can keep re-stocking that bare cubbard.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:31 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
That's how I feel at this point, Tex. Hopefully at the deadline FG will ship some guys out (Clark, Arnason, Lappy, Salei and maybe Svatos if the right deal came across the table) and we can keep re-stocking that bare cubbard.
As I think Sakic should retire this summer or sign another one-year deal but at about 2M if he wants to come back for a handful of games, I think keeping Lappy around would be a good thing for several reasons:
1. He doesn't eat up much cap-space.
2. He plays bottom 6 minutes which allows the kids to develop on the top lines.
3. He's one hell of a leader and quite frankly, he's told it like it is in interviews more often than the Altitude staff has on-air. He calls a fart, a fart and doesn't like the smell any better than the fans.
4. His leadership and work ethic is, from what I can tell, not equaled by any other single player on the team (to the point that I think the AVs should cut a coach and use him in a player/coach role...it's probably not been done in over a decade but there's not a better candidate out there for dual roles.)
5. I sure would hate to see one of the few players who look like they give a damn shipped off.
6. He is smarter than a lot of folks give him credit for. He is brilliant on the PK and I think he's also shown us why he spent 6+ years as a center when he broke into the league.

All said, he's versatile, a great leader, doesn't cost much, is excellent deffensively, a team leader and an tremendous fan favorite. I would demand at least a first round pick for him (which by any other team's standard would be considered an over-payment.) I think he's more valuable on a one or two year deal than he is as a trading chip...especially if we are going to start giving top line minutes to youngsters over the next season and a half.

Old
01-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Golden Foppa

There is no benefit to getting rid of Lappy. That would be a bad move.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
Unless he turns it around this season, which I don't see happening, this organization needs to sever ties with Marek Svatos. The experiment is all but over in my opinion. Perhaps a change of scenery will prove me wrong, but after years of holding the mindset that we should just "wait and see" on him -- especially if he can stay healthy, I've just about given up on him.

If he's not scoring 20-30 goals per year (right now, his 6 goals prorated over the rest of the season would bring him to 14), he's a dime a dozen player: undersized and tenacious. There's also no telling when another part of his body is going to give out either. Perhaps I'm being hard on him, since his offense is even more missed because of the team's offensive woes, but I think I'm being pretty fair. At least in the case of Wolski, he's creating opportunities and playing great D. But Svatos, on the other hand, feels like a filler to me.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Unless he turns it around this season, which I don't see happening, this organization needs to sever ties with Marek Svatos. The experiment is all but over in my opinion. Perhaps a change of scenery will prove me wrong, but after years of holding the mindset that we should just "wait and see" on him -- especially if he can stay healthy, I've just about given up on him.

If he's not scoring 20-30 goals per year (right now, his 6 goals prorated over the rest of the season would bring him to 14), he's a dime a dozen player: undersized and tenacious. There's also no telling when another part of his body is going to give out either. Perhaps I'm being hard on him, since his offense is even more missed because of the team's offensive woes, but I think I'm being pretty fair. At least in the case of Wolski, he's creating opportunities and playing great D. But Svatos, on the other hand, feels like a filler to me.
While I've been a big defender of Svatos over the years I now believe maybe a trade would help him out. You've gotta remember this kid has mad skillz! He's great in front of the net and has done that for four or five years, regardless of the price he's had to pay physically for doing so. His reward....riding the third line with Tyler Arnason. The AVs don't deserve a fair deal for him because of the way the coaches (Q and TG) have handled him. I'm almost to the point where I hope like hell there are no takers for a trade, he goes FA and is given a chance to light up the NHL. I'm not saying he's the second coming of anyone but every year he's ended up being some kid who is expected to score 30 goals in 10 minutes a night or less on a third line playing with the likes of Tyler Arnasson. Sure he played a handful of games with Joe Sakic this year...Joe Sakic didn't even play like Joe Sakic in those games though. We're talking about a guy who thought it was a good idea to stick his hand into the business end of a snow-blower....great decision making there. How is that an indictment on Svatos?

[if there are any takers who can give us a good pick/prospect, I'm all for it]

Start flaming now...

Old
01-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
While I've been a big defender of Svatos over the years I now believe maybe a trade would help him out. You've gotta remember this kid has mad skillz! He's great in front of the net and has done that for four or five years, regardless of the price he's had to pay physically for doing so. His reward....riding the third line with Tyler Arnason. The AVs don't deserve a fair deal for him because of the way the coaches (Q and TG) have handled him. I'm almost to the point where I hope like hell there are no takers for a trade, he goes FA and is given a chance to light up the NHL. I'm not saying he's the second coming of anyone but every year he's ended up being some kid who is expected to score 30 goals in 10 minutes a night or less on a third line playing with the likes of Tyler Arnasson. Sure he played a handful of games with Joe Sakic this year...Joe Sakic didn't even play like Joe Sakic in those games though. We're talking about a guy who thought it was a good idea to stick his hand into the business end of a snow-blower....great decision making there. How is that an indictment on Svatos?

[if there are any takers who can give us a good pick/prospect, I'm all for it]

Start flaming now...
I think he'd be a good deadline addition for a playoff team looking to bolster 2nd/3rd line scoring for cheap. If he finds the right chemistry, he could be a steal. At this point, I don't think the Avs could expect much more than a 3rd or 4th round pick for a struggling sniper who is a UFA to be.

I don't know that I'd blame his current woes on being relegated to the third line though. To me he's just not getting into the open spaces that he usually does, and he's playing more along the boards. Now that could have to do more with tactical approaches taken by the current coaching staff than anything else.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:52 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post

I think you may be right. I still see good goal scoring potential in Svatos, it just seems like the coaches/management don't want to put him in a position to succeed. Before the injuries the coaches showed favor to Jones, and even now he's still a third liner. I can't see him putting up a ton of points playing with Arnason and Tucker, so maybe we should look to move him. If "struggling" Boyes brought back Wideman at the deadline a few years back, and Richardson got us a 2nd at the draft, we should be able to get something of value (however small it may be) for him.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

But wait...aren't we supposed to trade Wolski? Isn't he a dud?

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:45 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
But wait...aren't we supposed to trade Wolski? Isn't he a dud?
One game Bender. It was one game. Wolski's main problem is consistency. If I were to brag about an inconsistent player, I would wait till he strings together 5 or 6 good games.

Old
01-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
One game Bender. It was one game. Wolski's main problem is consistency. If I were to brag about an inconsistent player, I would wait till he strings together 5 or 6 good games.
Bah, I have no problem poking fun, especially when we're talking about a 22 yr old player. I really don't know that many 22 year old offensive forwards that are NOT inconsistent early on in their careers. Sure, there are always exceptions like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc but for the most part, when you look at guys like Spezza, Gagne & LeCavalier (37pts in 76gp in his 4th season) it usually takes a while for them to really mature and understand what it takes to be consistent players in this league.

I have never been worried about Wolski, I know he's going to get there. It just makes me laugh when people dump on him while he's playing with BlackHoleTurd (the veteran presence on the line) and HE'S expected to carry the load and make #39 look better and play better? Ridiculous.

I thought he played a much better game vs Minnesota, finally tried at center. He could have easily had 2-3 assists if Lappy, Hannan and Leopold capitalize on their chances. I thought he could still be much better with his skating...at times he seemed to revert back to a winger mentality but that's to be expected after playing wing for so long. If he keeps creating and handling the puck the way he did last game, I guarantee he'll get his share of points and make anyone who even suggested we dump him look pretty silly.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:36 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Bender =