HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Will Patrick Kane go retire as the greatest American hockey player in NHL history?

View Poll Results: Will Patrick Kane go retire as the greatest American hockey player in NHL history?
Yes 39 29.55%
No, Pat LaFontaine will still be at that point 13 9.85%
No, Brian Leetch and/or Chris Chelios will still be at that point 32 24.24%
No, he won't even eclipse Jeremy Roenick and Mike Modano 48 36.36%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2009, 02:31 AM
hockeymetrics

vCash: 500
Will Patrick Kane go retire as the greatest American hockey player in NHL history?

Please excuse my typographical error in the poll title.

Will Patrick Kane retire as the greatest American hockey player in NHL history?

I happen to think he has about a 75% chance to do so.

Last edited by hockeymetrics: 01-03-2009 at 02:38 AM.
hockeymetrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Sens4Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymetrics View Post
I happen to think he has about a 75% chance to do so.
Just a little optimistic at this point. He's played about 120 games in the NHL, there's a long, LONG way to go. After he has 3-4 very solid seasons this discussion might be worthwhile but he's not a Crosby/Malkin type of talent just yet.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:34 AM
Jose Corvo*

yes, as far as american players go so far.

Jose Corvo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

LOL...exactly. And even that is a stretch at best right now.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Randall Graves*

Based on what Kane has shown us so far at a young age...yes if he stays healthy, he will atleast go down as the best American born forward.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:37 AM
Luigi Lemieux

barring injury, yes. he'll be the best US born player of all time.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

I said no I still think pat Lafontaine is the greatest American player to date. But give kane 6 or 7 years and i could easily jump wagon. It is really to bad the injuries that happened to Lafintaine, he could of been up their in top 5 all time scorers.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Macke*

I say no, that will still belong to another Blackhawk.. Chris Chelios.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:58 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Where's the option for "I refuse to answer until such a time that this question becomes relevant"?

Kid has a 100 games under his belt. Don't anoint him yet.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:59 AM
vivianmb

mike modano anyone?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:05 AM
the_speedster

Holy flavor of the month! What exactly has he done?

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

I doubt that. Chelios is by far the best so far and Kane is not even close to Modano.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 250
Kane's got a loooooooong way to go before he can enter the forwards realm of Modano, Lafontaine or even Roenick. It'll take him at least a decade to come close to Modano's numbers, and that's if he keeps up his current pace.

It's possible, but won't be for a long time.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:29 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:56 AM
hockeymetrics

Part of the point of this poll is to show everyone just how special Patrick Kane is. When one says he's only played a hundred games as if that's a point against him I couldn't disagree more. I say his hundred games were better than 99% of the first 100 games played by all other players EVER and make me believe just how great he will be. It's not like this happens every season.

Guys playing as well as Patrick Kane has at the ages of 19 and/or 20 are INCREDIBLY RARE. Here are some examples - Gretzky, Mario, Lindros, Crosby, Ovechkin, Bossy, Yzerman, Jagr, Kovalchuk, Sakic. These guys aren't too bad, huh?

Kane's numbers are better than Modano, Roenick, and LaFontaine (as well as a host of other future and current hall of famers) at the same age. He's producing just as well as Malkin did two years ago when Geno was 20. I'd say if everything goes as planned Kane's career numbers will look similar to Joe Sakic's.

Old
01-03-2009, 04:58 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Part of the point of this poll is to show everyone just how special Patrick Kane is. When one says he's only played a hundred games as if that's a point against him I couldn't disagree more. I say his hundred games were better than 99% of the first 100 games played by all other players EVER and make me believe just how great he will be. It's not like this happens every season.

Guys playing as well as Patrick Kane has at the ages of 19 and/or 20 are INCREDIBLY RARE. Here are some examples - Gretzky, Mario, Lindros, Crosby, Ovechkin, Bossy, Yzerman, Jagr, Kovalchuk, Sakic. These guys aren't too bad, huh?

Kane's numbers are better than Modano, Roenick, and LaFontaine (as well as a host of other future and current hall of famers) at the same age. He's producing just as well as Malkin did two years ago when Geno was 20. I'd say if everything goes as planned Kane's career numbers will look similar to Joe Sakic's.
you forgot Hawerchuk.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 05:09 AM
hockeymetrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Kane's got a loooooooong way to go before he can enter the forwards realm of Modano, Lafontaine or even Roenick. It'll take him at least a decade to come close to Modano's numbers, and that's if he keeps up his current pace.

It's possible, but won't be for a long time.

I'm personally more impressed by dominance than by a long consistent career like Modano's. He was great, no doubt, and a hall of famer, but wasn't amongst the top 5 players in the NHL for more than a year or two, if ever.

Paul Kariya and Eric Lindros impress me more, even though they didn't last as long, because they were more dominant. IF Ovechkin has to retire tomorrow (for whatever reason) are you going to say Modano was better? I think that's laughable.

Of course these debates all hinge on if we judge a player at his peak or on his whole career. I have great respect for those with great long careers like Modano and Sundin, but I want total dominance like that of Jagr, Lindros, and Kariya. I was a bit young and this was pre-Center Ice, but Kariya always seems to me like the perfect comparable player to Kane.

Last edited by hockeymetrics: 01-03-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old
01-03-2009, 07:54 AM
the_speedster

Quote:

lafontaine= hall of famer, beat mario lemeiux to the scoring title in juniors, 400+goals, 1000+pts, masterton trophy winner, world cup winner

Bobby Carpenter= from high school directly to a scoring line in the NHL (67pts first season) scored 50goals 2 seasons later

Mike Modano = 75pts as a 19yr old (1300pts now)

Brian Leetch = averaged a point a game for his first three years then exploded for 102pts AS A DEFENEMAN. Conn Smythe, stanley cup, world cup

Chris Chelios = stanley cups, 3 norris trophies, averaged just under 1pt per game as a defensman in his first few seasons in montreal

Chris Drury= NCAA champ, Hockey EAst champ, calder winner, stanley cup winner, one of the best american clutch goal scorers

Brett Hull= 700goals, stannley cups, hart, pearson winner, future guranteed hall of famer

Hobey Baker= well.. he's hobey baker

PAtrick Kane has scored 72pts in his first season and 41 so far this season..

Seriously What has he done?

Stuff like this is unfair to the kid. I bet my life that if you posed the question of his hockey greatness in comparison with the lafontaines, bakers, modano's ottos, He'd turn red with fright. There's even debate as to wether he's the best player on his own TEAM!

In american history? at under a point a game pace?

great googley moogley

Old
01-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
I say his hundred games were better than 99% of the first 100 games played by all other players EVER and make me believe just how great he will be.
It is much too early to say whether he'll be a legend or a guy who's had a couple of great years before becoming a merely decent scoring forward or even vanishing into mediocrity. We don't know what will happen. Maybe he'll suffer a serious injury which leave us pondering what could have been. Maybe he'll end up being the NHL's best forward.

Ask again a decade from now.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 08:19 AM
amnesiac*

Yes, the Hawks are bound to win a Cup or 2 over the next 15 years. Why couldnt he be the best ever?

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 08:21 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
As any other american in the league he might end up as the greatest ever

This is way too early but if he keeps playing like this and wins a cup or two along the way.. who knows.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 08:37 AM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Yes, the Hawks are bound to win a Cup or 2 over the next 15 years. Why couldnt he be the best ever?
paul kariya says hi

Old
01-03-2009, 08:49 AM
nmbr_24

wow, this is a little bit early in his career to be talking about this kind of thing don't you think?

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 09:07 AM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
lafontaine= hall of famer, beat mario lemeiux to the scoring title in juniors, 400+goals, 1000+pts, masterton trophy winner, world cup winner

Bobby Carpenter= from high school directly to a scoring line in the NHL (67pts first season) scored 50goals 2 seasons later

Mike Modano = 75pts as a 19yr old (1300pts now)

Brian Leetch = averaged a point a game for his first three years then exploded for 102pts AS A DEFENEMAN. Conn Smythe, stanley cup, world cup

Chris Chelios = stanley cups, 3 norris trophies, averaged just under 1pt per game as a defensman in his first few seasons in montreal

Chris Drury= NCAA champ, Hockey EAst champ, calder winner, stanley cup winner, one of the best american clutch goal scorers

Brett Hull= 700goals, stannley cups, hart, pearson winner, future guranteed hall of famer

Hobey Baker= well.. he's hobey baker

PAtrick Kane has scored 72pts in his first season and 41 so far this season..

Seriously What has he done?

Stuff like this is unfair to the kid. I bet my life that if you posed the question of his hockey greatness in comparison with the lafontaines, bakers, modano's ottos, He'd turn red with fright. There's even debate as to wether he's the best player on his own TEAM!

In american history? at under a point a game pace?

great googley moogley
The OP is not asking if he's already the greatest, he's asking if he will retire the greatest. He's around 100 games into his career so he really hasn't had a chance to do much. Comparing other Americans' career stats to his isn't fair as he is only in his second year. It's a hypothetical question. Do you think he will be the best WHEN HE RETIRES?

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Sasso09

James VanRiemsdyk will overtake kane

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote