HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Innovative PP Idea?

Old
01-04-2009, 08:22 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Bad idea because the reason coach Sutter is doing this is because he doesn't have an Andrei Markov.
Exactly, how the hell do you justify not playing him on the PP. Don't tell me because it sucks, as it is not his fault.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:25 PM
znk

I don't know why they don't put Kovalchuk on the first unit.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Start with AK46 on the point.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:51 AM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Where we are now I could imagine a PP with Markov at the point, AKost and SKost along the boards, Kovy circling within 20 feet of the net with Fatty or Lang in front of the keeper.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:08 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I wouldn't object to trying the kostitsyn's at the point together. Both can shoot. Should be interesting.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:49 AM
BLONG7

Didn't Weber have a couple of PP goals in preseason? He could be worth a try...I hope he does get a game or two while he is up with the big club.

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Mustafa*

At the point that we are i would seriously try Bouillon on the second waive, his 3 goals this year are from the Blue line throug traffic.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:04 AM
la25ecoupe

Can we put Weber on the left and AK46 on the right?

Two canon shooter from left and right!

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I wouldn't object to trying the kostitsyn's at the point together. Both can shoot. Should be interesting.
I'd be worried they would give up too many short handed opportunities to the opposition. I don't mind having one forward back on the point, but 2 makes me nervous for defensive purposes.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Etienne

Typical 2008-2009 Habs PP

Case #1: (1-A) The other team parks their 4 players on their blueline, so we park our forwards (minus Kovalev) there as well. Our D carrying the puck across the red line shoots it deep in their zone but since our forwards were ****ing stopped, the other team is the first on the puck and they clear it. (1-B) Kovalev tries to carry the puck in their zone, but he has a wall in front of him on the blueline. Kovalev turns the puck over by either losing control or make a pass to someone who's ****ing stopped. Either way, the puck gets cleared.

Solution: Get our forwards moving. Have them start at the red line or whatever and start skating to pick up speed before the D shoots the puck in deep. Then we'll be the first on the puck. I mean, it can't be this hard to get the timing right, eh? If their PK adjusts to this and keep someone back in their zone, then it opens up room to just carry the puck in their zone. It's perhaps one of the 3 or 4 things Brunet is right about, keep those feet moving and you'll be first on the puck (it's just too bad he has to say it 10 times per game and I'm pretty sure he never meant it this way).

Case #2: Habs are (finally) in the offensive zone and control the puck. Everyone who looked at our PP these last 2 years knows Markov is the key. It's no coincidence the Canadiens are facing aggressive PKs with a lot of pressure on the point. Still, Habs try to move the puck around to get a pretty set-up but the other team is all over them. Eventually one of our guy loses the puck and it gets cleared right away without us taking 1 SOG.

Solution: SHOOOOOOOOT, FOR ****'S SAKE JUST SHOOOOOOOOOT!!!! Get the puck at the net and pile up bodies rugby-style. Getting a goalie interference penalty once in a while never killed anyone. We're better 4-on-4 than we are 5-on-4 anyways. Might not get tons of goals this way, but at least we'll get some shot on goals and a few rebounds if the appropriate meatshields (Lats, Kovy, Lang) are in front of the net. It will also force the other team to play a little deeper in their zone which will open room for Markov's sweet cross-ice passes or shots from the point.

It's not that our PP strategy sucks. Far from it. We didn't end up 1st on the PP for 2 years without reason. It's just that we keep doing the same thing over and over and over again. The other 29 teams adjusted and are prepared for the Habs favorite plays. I'm not suggesting to drop the cross-ice passes forever, but the Canadiens need some diversity in there to keep the opposition off-balance.

We also need Koivu back ASAP.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:26 PM
la25ecoupe

When on PP, take a penalty and play 4-4.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Habs4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
Typical 2008-2009 Habs PP

Case #1: (1-A) The other team parks their 4 players on their blueline, so we park our forwards (minus Kovalev) there as well. Our D carrying the puck across the red line shoots it deep in their zone but since our forwards were ****ing stopped, the other team is the first on the puck and they clear it. (1-B) Kovalev tries to carry the puck in their zone, but he has a wall in front of him on the blueline. Kovalev turns the puck over by either losing control or make a pass to someone who's ****ing stopped. Either way, the puck gets cleared.

Solution: Get our forwards moving. Have them start at the red line or whatever and start skating to pick up speed before the D shoots the puck in deep. Then we'll be the first on the puck. I mean, it can't be this hard to get the timing right, eh? If their PK adjusts to this and keep someone back in their zone, then it opens up room to just carry the puck in their zone. It's perhaps one of the 3 or 4 things Brunet is right about, keep those feet moving and you'll be first on the puck (it's just too bad he has to say it 10 times per game and I'm pretty sure he never meant it this way).

Case #2: Habs are (finally) in the offensive zone and control the puck. Everyone who looked at our PP these last 2 years knows Markov is the key. It's no coincidence the Canadiens are facing aggressive PKs with a lot of pressure on the point. Still, Habs try to move the puck around to get a pretty set-up but the other team is all over them. Eventually one of our guy loses the puck and it gets cleared right away without us taking 1 SOG.

Solution: SHOOOOOOOOT, FOR ****'S SAKE JUST SHOOOOOOOOOT!!!! Get the puck at the net and pile up bodies rugby-style. Getting a goalie interference penalty once in a while never killed anyone. We're better 4-on-4 than we are 5-on-4 anyways. Might not get tons of goals this way, but at least we'll get some shot on goals and a few rebounds if the appropriate meatshields (Lats, Kovy, Lang) are in front of the net. It will also force the other team to play a little deeper in their zone which will open room for Markov's sweet cross-ice passes or shots from the point.

It's not that our PP strategy sucks. Far from it. We didn't end up 1st on the PP for 2 years without reason. It's just that we keep doing the same thing over and over and over again. The other 29 teams adjusted and are prepared for the Habs favorite plays. I'm not suggesting to drop the cross-ice passes forever, but the Canadiens need some diversity in there to keep the opposition off-balance.

We also need Koivu back ASAP.
Guy is that you?

Habs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 04:39 PM
kovalost27

If you watch the old PP videos of 2007-08, the left winger and center were a lot more mobile, with Markov on the left and a shooter on the right (Hamrlik or Streit). A lot of the time, Markov would shoot a quick accurate pass to Kovalev and he would finish the onetimer and put it in the net.

I think from these videos a few things need to happen:

1) Kovalev needs a bit of luck to stop hitting the posts and to put the pucks in the net.

2) Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn need to play more disciplined hockey on that line, with one in front of the net or on the goalie's right and the other playing the left side and behind the rink, with the purpose of keeping the opposing team's defense closed in, holding the powerplay in the offensive zone, and creating extra chances by being there for the rebound.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote