HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Flames @ Blackhawks, Game 39

View Poll Results: Who was the Flames' MVP tonight?
Daymond Langkow 2 15.38%
Todd Bertuzzi 2 15.38%
Robyn Regehr 3 23.08%
Other - mention in thread 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Snoil11

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
PGT: Flames @ Blackhawks, Game 39

Fire away!!!

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Kipper was your guys MVP tonight. He kept you in game early.

Good game, Wish your team luck in future endeavors not involving Hawks

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
GoFlames

Went with other as none of the above... wanted to vote for Glencross. He nearly changed everything with the SH and other miss in the 3rd... two great chances guess he is still not quite found his post injury game yet but he played great.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Great 3rd period. Too bad the team didn't put forth a 60 minute effort and had that collapse at the end of the 2nd. Would have liked to of seen them play in the first two periods the way they did in the 3rd, especially when playing a goalie that has this team's number. I will definitely not miss Khabibulin the day he decides to call it quits, that's for sure.

Here's hoping the Canucks lose tonight to the Stars in regulation.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:42 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Kipper was your guys MVP tonight. He kept you in game early.

Good game, Wish your team luck in future endeavors not involving Hawks
Well Chicago is great at taking advantage of opportunities. If they can hand teh Canucks losses that would be helpful!

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
Third Period
The only period the Flames bother to show up for. They hit, they shot, the skated and hit hard. And not a whit of it mattered. This was simply a case of way too little way too late. Had the Flames played this hard from the start of the game there might just be some good news for me to report. But alas the Flames decided to phone this game in.
The power play was flawless. Fast accurate passes, hard shots on net, and great sustained pressure. A perfect cross crease pass to Langkow and the Flames were able to get within two. The penalty kill was it’s usual self with perfect execution. Blocked shots and passes, and even a couple offensive chances. Though I do have to say, Glenncross has to bury that breakaway chance. To be fair The Bulin Wall had a lot to do with that.

Overall Impressions
The Flames deserve to lose this game. What a pathetic effort. How can anyone expect to beat anyone when you only show up for one period? This is not what I have come to expect from the Flames and I am not at all impressed. As a matter of fact I am quite irritated with this team. They are so very much better than this. Yes yes, you cannot win them all, but by not showing up it’s a guarantee you won’t win.
Since I have no stars for the Flames tonight (no one really deserved any) I will give kudos. Nystrom, Iginla, and Regher. Those guys were the real Flames players tonight. Well I suppose Miikka was pretty good until the defense completely abandoned him.

Three Stars By Me
1. Nicolai Khabibulin
2. Andrew Ladd
3. Martin Havlat

The Flames head back to the Dome to host the Sharks on Tuesday. Let’s hope the Flames actually bother to show up.

Edit: I chose Regher from the poll.

Last edited by Lanny'sDaMan: 01-04-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: add my pick for Flames MVP
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Well Chicago is great at taking advantage of opportunities. If they can hand teh Canucks losses that would be helpful!
We are 2-0 vs them so far this year

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Other - No one

Bad penalties, bad costly turn over, and generally lazy play. Keenan really needs to work out a new system for when we play better teams like Chicago, Detroit, and San Jose. They have too much firepower to play the game we do.

What a bad way to end our streak. Quenville really has our number.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:54 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Nystrom, Iginla, and Regher. Those guys were the real Flames players tonight.

I didn't think Iginla had that great of a game at all.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I didn't think Iginla had that great of a game at all.
Oh he didn't have a good game, but at least he was Trying. The effort was there if not the skill.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Northern Neighbour

Kiprusoff struggled early in the game but then got better. But in the first 5 or 7 minutes, he wasn't very sharp. He gave up huge rebounds and battled the puck. He settled down, though, later on. Veersteg's goal, however, was a bad goal and a back breaker.

I agree with GoFlames that Glencross was the best Flame tonight. He had a few great scoring chances, but couldn't capitalize. Moss, Langkow, Nystrom, and Roy were the only other Flames that played well tonight. Giordano was o.k. as well.

I thought Regehr and Iginla had poor games. Regehr lost a lot of battles that he normally wins and he just wasn't on his game tonight. Iginla was largely invisible and made some terrible, terrible turnovers that led to great scoring chances. He had one nice pass, but overall he played a brutal game.

I thought Phaneuf played well with the lone exception of the turnover at the blueline that led to Veersteg's marker. All he needs to do is hit the net with greater frequency. He missed the net way too many times.

The Flames are 0-2-1 against Chicago this season. If both teams make the playoffs, have to hope the Flames don't meet them.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Kiprusoff struggled early in the game but then got better. But in the first 5 or 7 minutes, he wasn't very sharp. He gave up huge rebounds and battled the puck. He settled down, though, later on. Veersteg's goal, however, was a bad goal and a back breaker.

I agree with GoFlames that Glencross was the best Flame tonight. He had a few great scoring chances, but couldn't capitalize. Moss, Langkow, Nystrom, and Roy were the only other Flames that played well tonight. Giordano was o.k. as well.

I thought Regehr and Iginla had poor games. Regehr lost a lot of battles that he normally wins and he just wasn't on his game tonight. Iginla was largely invisible and made some terrible, terrible turnovers that led to great scoring chances. He had one nice pass, but overall he played a brutal game.

I thought Phaneuf played well with the lone exception of the turnover at the blueline that led to Veersteg's marker. All he needs to do is hit the net with greater frequency. He missed the net way too many times.

The Flames are 0-2-1 against Chicago this season. If both teams make the playoffs, have to hope the Flames don't meet them.
Our record isn't much better (wouldn't even say better) against the Sharks or Wings either.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Northern Neighbour

If the Flames hold on to first-place in the NW, they won't have to worry about the Wings or Sharks until the 2nd round at the earliest. They could, however, meet Chicago in the first round should the Blackhawks struggle a bit and fall to 6th.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Damn Khabibulin sure does have the flames number. Threw everything at him in the third, but just couldn't get it by him.

Minus the last five minutes in the 2nd I didn't think the flames played that badly of a game. Those 5 minutes though were just brutal. Major mistakes and an unlucky bounce on Phaneuf and they were down by 3 and just couldn't recover. Top line really struggled tonight. Need Iginla and Cammalleri to be much better then they were.

Winning streak had to end eventually. It'll be important though to have a strong game on Tuesday. Can't afford to have a losing streak start.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Hyde

Our Flames did't play their best outside the third they never got any bounces either. All I could think about during this game is that a playoff series between these two would be nasty.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:03 PM
DownInFlames

The Flames are Jeckly and Hyde less than the fans on this Forum are. Jesus they won 5 in a row and lost to a team that was hell bent on winning this game. On top of that they were playing in back to back games. Furthermore they won 5 in a row. People they don't have to win them all.

Sure they could have shown a little more in the first two periods goes without saying. They came out with all of it in the 3rd period and showed that they can control the Hawks. Folks you gotta take into account fatigue does affect the players in the NHL. As well in the playoffs they don't play back to back games and if for some miracle they do, the team they are playing against is on the same type of rest.

Here's to showing the Sharks what the Flames are all about.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:15 PM
sonetlumiere

more "sloppy seconds" from the flames finally leads us to a loss (it was only a matter of time). you cant expect to win if you give a half assed effort, half of the time. yes, they were coming off an afternoon game only twenty-four hours previous, but thats still no excuse for the way they played. they knew it was an important game, but didnt show it with their play. overall a disappointing game, but we'll get over it (we always do)

here's to disappointing the sharks tomorrow night@the dome!

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote