Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreams for Summer '09

Old
01-03-2009, 12:46 PM
ComixZone

vCash: 500
Dreams for Summer '09

Knowing how hot our team is right now, looking ahead into next years free agent pool, what would your dream scenario for this team be?

Mine would have to be:

Trade Sarich for a pick
Re-sign Cammalleri
Sign Scott Niedermeyer to a 1 or 2 year deal. He almost signed here before Anaheim, so maybe its a possibility with Aucoin + Sarich off the books. Niedermeyer, Regehr, Phaneuf, Giordano, Pardy, Vandermeer and possibly Negrin, Wilson or Pelech.
Re-sign David Moss to an affordable deal.
Keep all/any RFA's.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:24 PM
GoFlames

Sure but I am starting to really dig Sarich as he has seemed to have elevated his game to levels I have not seen yet. So for arounhd 3 mil he is at a good price IMO.

But, one thing I would add to your idea is definitely resign Boyd. He is really starting to play well this year.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:26 PM
GoFlames

I forgot.... Beauchemin is a UFA. That is a player I would love to have and MUCH cheaper than Niedermayer... plays a hard game. And Burke players are pretty much Sutter players...

Old
01-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
- Re-sign Cammalleri
- Re-sign Boyd long term
- Re-sign Moss
- Sign another good dman to take Aucoin's spot (Beauchemin?)

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:43 PM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 50
I would sign any UFA from Anaheim actually...both teams are pretty much similar.

I would like to sign Niedermayer, but he might be to expensive. He would play great with Phaneuf.

Niedermayer-Phaneuf
Regehr-Giordano
Vandermeer-Pardy

The Gaud Father is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:00 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj43r View Post
I would sign any UFA from Anaheim actually...both teams are pretty much similar.

I would like to sign Niedermayer, but he might be to expensive. He would play great with Phaneuf.

Niedermayer-Phaneuf
Regehr-Giordano
Vandermeer-Pardy
A great back end and imagine how Pardy bis there and has earned it. Impressed with how he is progressing. I would hazard a guess to switch Vandermeer for Sarich who is an iron man.

Old
01-03-2009, 02:06 PM
ComixZone

I love sarich, but I just think 3.6 million is too much seeing as how he's on our bottom pairing now with the emergence of pardy.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Lunatik*

well let's see, assuming the Cap doesn't drop below $57,000,000 I would like to see the Flames do the following...

- re-sign Mike Cammalleri to a long term contract. 5 years/25.
- sign Andy McDonald to a long term contract. 5 years/25 million.
- re-sign Dustin Boyd to a 2 year contract. 2 years/2.5 million.
- re-sign David Moss to a short term contract. 2 years/2 million. I am still not 100% sold on his progression, this would give him the chance to prove himself.
- sign Jordan Leopold as an unrestricted free agent. 2 years/5 million
- re-sign Adam Pardy to a 2 yeas contract. 2 years/1.1 million
- trade Matthew Lombardi along with our 1st to move up in the draft.
- re-sign Andre Roy to a 1 year deal. 1 year/0.5 million
- sign capable backup goaltender for 1 year. 1 year/ =/<1 million. Guys like Weekes, Sanford, Tellqvist & Valliquette come to mind. This will give Irving and Keetley another year to be ready for a back-up role.
- trade Wayne Primeau for a mid to late round pick

Cammalleri (5.000) - McDonald (5.000) - Iginla (7.000)
Glencross (1.200) - Langkow (4.500) - Bourque (1.350)
Boyd (1.250) - Conroy (1.050) - Moss (1.000)
Nystrom (0.688) - Sutter (0.537) - Prust (0.500)
Extra: Roy (0.500)

Forwards: $29.575 million

Phaneuf (6.500) - Sarich (3.600)
Regehr (4.020) - Leopold (2.500)
Vandermeer (2.300) - Giordano (0.892)
Extra: Pardy (0.550)

Defense: $20.362 million

Kiprusoff (5.833)
Keetley (0.602)

Goaltenders: $6.435 million

Total: $56.372 million

barely under the cap but would be a nice team. to have and for a change would would have some continuity and not turn over half our roster in any one position

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
I love sarich, but I just think 3.6 million is too much seeing as how he's on our bottom pairing now with the emergence of pardy.
do you watch the games? Pardy's emergence as a legit NHL defenseman has nothing to do with Sarich playing on the 3rd pairing. If anything Sarich being on the 3rd pairing is the reason for Pardy's emergence as a legit NHL defenseman. Sarich was moved to the 3rd pairing to be a stabilizing player on the pairing. When Giordano began to struggle they moved Pardy up instead of Sarich because quite frankly Pardy + Giordano = disaster. Sarich has played extremely well for the Flames this season and is playing within himself. Also calling him a bottom pairing defenseman is unfair as he is 4th among our healthy defensemen in minutes played (25 seconds per game behind Vandermeer). Sarich is also 2nd on the team in PK minutes per game.

If you look at things fairly Sarich is our #4 defenseman and is not overpaid if you look around the league and see the contracts other 3/4 defensemen are getting around the league.

Old
01-03-2009, 03:03 PM
serratedmuffin

I really dig that new team Lunatik but I'd rather sign the lower guys long term and the top guys to shorter terms. It's easier to eat longer term bottom 6 contracts than 5 year 25 mill contracts with a possible lower cap after next year. But on paper that team is so solid. I'd rather keep lombardi than conroy though for a third liner center. Younger and basically the same. Oh and Leopold has had the injury bug like mad since we traded him.

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
I really dig that new team Lunatik but I'd rather sign the lower guys long term and the top guys to shorter terms. It's easier to eat longer term bottom 6 contracts than 5 year 25 mill contracts with a possible lower cap after next year. But on paper that team is so solid. I'd rather keep lombardi than conroy though for a third liner center. Younger and basically the same. Oh and Leopold has had the injury bug like mad since we traded him.
I would like a top line for more than a couple years and top end players look for long term contracts now, so as much as i would like to only sign guys for 3 years i dont think it would be enough. The lower end players are the ones with more question marks, like Leopold and Moss that is why I suggested shorter contracts. As for Lombardi/Conroy while they are similar there is enough differences that I prefer Conroy. He is more consistent offensively, better in key faceoffs and makes 3/4 of a million less. Lombardi has also shown that he doesn't go balls out when on the 3rd line, I would rather move him while he has still some value.

Old
01-03-2009, 04:18 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
do you watch the games? Pardy's emergence as a legit NHL defenseman has nothing to do with Sarich playing on the 3rd pairing. If anything Sarich being on the 3rd pairing is the reason for Pardy's emergence as a legit NHL defenseman. Sarich was moved to the 3rd pairing to be a stabilizing player on the pairing. When Giordano began to struggle they moved Pardy up instead of Sarich because quite frankly Pardy + Giordano = disaster. Sarich has played extremely well for the Flames this season and is playing within himself. Also calling him a bottom pairing defenseman is unfair as he is 4th among our healthy defensemen in minutes played (25 seconds per game behind Vandermeer). Sarich is also 2nd on the team in PK minutes per game.

If you look at things fairly Sarich is our #4 defenseman and is not overpaid if you look around the league and see the contracts other 3/4 defensemen are getting around the league.

I agree with that totally. Sarich is totally top 4 and for a cap hit of 3.6 a good contract (not as good as Regehr's but still a bargain). I also dig that team. Wonder if McDonald could stay healthy though. But anyways MUCH better than Spezza (at minimum the cap hit)

Old
01-04-2009, 10:23 PM
JorgeRocks!

The team Lunatik proposes is fantastic. Who knows what the free agent market will be like this year as far as values and that, but i can see us signing macdonald for less seeing how he has come off an injury. (Maybe 4 million a year?) I would also trade boyd as part of a package to move up in this draft, seeing how the top 10 this year is very, very strong. I would not resign roy, i think we have guys like greentree, chucko and backlund who should get chances incase of injuries. I think lundmark can take boyds role, but he needs to be resigned. (He is a UFA, and only signed for 0.6 million a year, and i think there is a good chance he gets resigned, seeing how we just called him up.) I think Pardy can play that top 6 role, and having pelech or negrin/wilson on the roster over vandermeer would save about 1.5 million dollars in cap room.

I think sutter will sign kovalev in the offseason though for just a 1 year deal, seeing how he is a keenan favourite, which is why we got aucoin. That could be alright, because since the lockout, his ppg totals have fluctuated from good, to low (for him), to hi, and then to low again this year, and i think he could be in for a big year in 2009-2010. I think he wants to play in the Olympics again, and after a year in Calgary will go back to the KHL. I just have a feeling Kovalev will end up here in the summer, at around the same money we signed bertuzzi though. He sure won't hurt the pp.

Thoughts???

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
serratedmuffin

I doubt Kovalev comes to the western conference. More physical hockey and better d-men and a tougher travel schedule. He doesn't seem like the player who would be into that (he's only played for rangers,penguins and canadiens). I dont want to move Boyd and I am not sure he'd be able to move us up from 25 to top 10...and even top ten picks are not certain and Boyd is more of a known quantity..the whole one in the hand is worth two in the bush deal. Lundmark has never shown he can be consistent in the NHL over a full year. Of course we do need to draft more impact top 6 forwards though..

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote