HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

2009 UFA: ridiculous amount of forwards available, almost no d-men

Old
01-05-2009, 12:08 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Makes me glad that the Flyers don't really need Defense. and if they did it would have to be by trade.

Jbo is going to get like 8 million by rarity alone
Makes me glad the leafs have 2 top offensive dmen to dangle at the deadline and if they don't waive the infamous NTC's at the draft are gone and they are open to all bidders. Could be very fun to watch. Actually us leafs fans pray it's fun to watch.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
CAPiTA

Sedins will hit the open market, not get signed for a couple days. MG will try to pull a Sather and land both Slovaks and announce them on the same day. If it doesn't work out, the Sedins will come back.

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:07 PM
sonetlumiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
he doesn't fit Burke's team for the future however.
lol, uhh how do you figure that?..

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

If the Stars re-sign Zubov it better not be over 5 million!!!!

He deserves a pay cut with all those uncertainties regarding his hip.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
lol, uhh how do you figure that?..
some people are speculating Burke is looking for younger players (25 and under i assume) to build around, this by that logic Cammalleri could be too old for what Burke is trying to do

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:23 PM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chea View Post
Zetterberg to start.
Would Hossa be counted as well?

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arde View Post
I predict that Schneider and Niedermayer will retire after this season.

But yea there is some quality forwards out there and it will be very interesting off-season.
Schneider was on NHL Live in October and said he'd like to play a couple more years.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Kiddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Brian Lawton is licking his chops....because we all know...Tampa needs more forwards!
Not only that, but after he signs these forwards, he can trade them for more forwards from other teams.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
TaiMaiShu

Bouwmeester is gunna be a rich man.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 0
People wonder why Brian Campbell got paid...it is just so hard to find defensemen who are so good. They're so valuable. It's why people complain everyone overspends on them.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysEndeavor View Post
Sedins will hit the open market, not get signed for a couple days. MG will try to pull a Sather and land both Slovaks and announce them on the same day. If it doesn't work out, the Sedins will come back.
That's a REALLY dangerous plan for MG. What happens if someone steps up to the play on 7/1 and the Sedin's sign elsewhere, which isn't impossible considering that the Canucks would be telling them that they were their 2nd choice. I think that NHL players (like all of us) have significant ego's and that's a slap in the fact IMO.

MG could go "0 for" and be sitting there with nothing but a ton of cap space. That's the kiss of death because historically, you can't build around UFA's. Successful teams bring them in as the last piece - not trying to build around them.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
matt trick

Bouw will have his choice of team and dollar figure.

Off the top of my head: FLA, Anaheim, Toronto, Vancouver, Philly, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Dallas, Columbus, and NJ will have the cap space and need. While almost every team that doesnt have the cap space, would find it if they had too.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Bouw will have his choice of team and dollar figure.

Off the top of my head: FLA, Anaheim, Toronto, Vancouver, Philly, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Dallas, Columbus, and NJ will have the cap space and need. While almost every team that doesnt have the cap space, would find it if they had too.
i would loveeee to have J-Bo(imagine 2 #1type Dmen playing 25+mins per game ala Pronger/nieds aceept alot younger)
But with Krejci and Kessel needing new contracts after the season,Lucic_Wheeler and savard the next summer and Ryder costing over 4$ per the next few years there really isnt any noteworthy expiring contract coming off besides Axellsons 1.7$ this summer and Wards 2.5$ the following.

Bruinaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Dark Knight
#PlayoffPush

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
he doesn't fit Burke's team for the future however.
Burke prefers skilled players in his top 6.

Cammalleri fits that bill. He's not the elite out there, but he's a legit top 6 winger, who IMO would become the highest point getter on our team.

Toronto's best forward is a guy by the name of Nik Antropov, who IMO, is a second liner at best, and a pretty good second liner. I have no issues with keeping Antro. Cammalleri will be our first line winger.

I repeat, Burke likes his top 6 guys to be skilled and bottom six to be defensive and tough, who'll do the dirty work. I think Cammy fits the top 6. He'll command less than Hossa, Zetterberg, Gaborik and Havlat. Good option, IMO. Still young so will help in our rebuild as well.

Also, I'll be tempted to take a chance on Havlat. Yes ! I know he's made of glass but he's been pretty healthy this year, and playing well for Chicago. Truth is, when he plays, he produces, and he has the ability to take over games just on his speed and skill. Good two-way player as well.

My two players, one might be risky, but they'll come cheaper than the others, but might pay off.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

I like our cap room, but do UFAs want to play for LA?

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAzN View Post
Erm...I thought the sens had no money to spend, with Alffy, Heatly, and Spezza being tied up, along with Phillips and Volchenkov?
Should have around 6.5-7 million to play with - that's after the 2 million cap cushion we need.

Still...the obvious guys on this list are going to be re-signed or we can't afford, and the rest are interesting. A lot of quantity, but real quality? Not so sure. Sens need D and G in a bad way anyway.

EDIT: And after reading brownking's post above, I'm actually not sure how many UFAs are gonna be running to sign a contract in Ottawa - for the next couple of years at least.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Massena Sens Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I found this a bit strange. For the 2009 UFA off-season, look how the forwards stack up to the defensemen.

Forwards: Gaborik, Hossa, Havlat, Sakic, Tanguay, Koivu, Guerin, Kovalev, Tkachuk, Lehtinen, Cole, Comrie, Fedorov, Gionta, Lang, Cammalleri, Sedin's, Afinogenov, Satan, McDonald, Madden, Zetterberg, Knuble, Morrison, Kotalik, Kozlov, Sykora, Sillinger, Fedotenko, Williams, Antropov, Weight, Reinprecht, Axelsson, Grier, Franzen, Pahlsson, and quite a few more.

v.

Defensemen: Niedermayer, Schneider, Zubov, Blake, Bouwmeester, Aucoin, Morris, Ohlund, Spacek, Kuba, Havelid, Mara, Komisarek, and then some players no one really wants. The distinction is heightened by the fact that several players at the top of this class could retire.

Obviously not all of these players will be UFA come July 1st, 2009, however there is a tremendous contrast between the forwards and defensemen available. Teams that are stocked on defense will make out very well in unrestricted free agency (assuming they pursue forwards), and on the trade market (assuming they dangle a defenseman).
not that strange - there are twice as many forwards as D men on a roster

simple math actually

Massena Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:15 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I found this a bit strange. For the 2009 UFA off-season, look how the forwards stack up to the defensemen.

Forwards: Gaborik, Hossa, Havlat, Sakic, Tanguay, Koivu, Guerin, Kovalev, Tkachuk, Lehtinen, Cole, Comrie, Fedorov, Gionta, Lang, Cammalleri, Sedin's, Afinogenov, Satan, McDonald, Madden, Zetterberg, Knuble, Morrison, Kotalik, Kozlov, Sykora, Sillinger, Fedotenko, Williams, Antropov, Weight, Reinprecht, Axelsson, Grier, Franzen, Pahlsson, and quite a few more.

v.

Defensemen: Niedermayer, Schneider, Zubov, Blake, Bouwmeester, Aucoin, Morris, Ohlund, Spacek, Kuba, Havelid, Mara, Komisarek, and then some players no one really wants. The distinction is heightened by the fact that several players at the top of this class could retire.

Obviously not all of these players will be UFA come July 1st, 2009, however there is a tremendous contrast between the forwards and defensemen available. Teams that are stocked on defense will make out very well in unrestricted free agency (assuming they pursue forwards), and on the trade market (assuming they dangle a defenseman).
Edmonton needs to worrry about Denis Grebeshkov(1.5mill going RFA) Ladislav Smid (952k going RFA) and Jason Strudwick(650k going UFA) on the blueline. I think they've gotta trade Grebs before the end of the year, because I doubt they'll want to stack another 3-4 million onto what's spent on our defensemen.

Smid won't get much of a raise. So I say it would be smart to sign him to a 3 year deal for 1.1-1.4 mill a season. Let Packham come up and work with em.

As for forwards, Edmonton will likely resign Brodziak (500k going rfa) for less than 1 mill a season for a few seasons. Cole(4mill going UFA) will walk and so will the 4.3 mill cap hit of Garon and Roloson. Edmonton will likely resign one of them to a much cheaper deal. Edmonton's looking at having at least 9mill in cap space before finding someone to take Cole's spot on the 2nd line.

Would like to see Edmonton chase after McDonald, Franzen and Grier.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Johnny Utah

Kings will be looking for a goal scorer and have more cap room than any other team. Kopitar's new contract will kick in, but we will also lose Gauthier, O'Donnell, Calder, and Armstrong....that almost offsets Kopitars jump from under 1 million to 7 million.

I think the Kings will target Hossa, Havlat, and Gaborik.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Uncle Lou Knows Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrepeterson View Post
not that strange - there are twice as many forwards as D men on a roster

simple math actually
wow. incredible observation. seriously. that explains a lot.

Uncle Lou Knows Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
KingsCrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kings will be looking for a goal scorer and have more cap room than any other team. Kopitar's new contract will kick in, but we will also lose Gauthier, O'Donnell, Calder, and Armstrong....that almost offsets Kopitars jump from under 1 million to 7 million.

I think the Kings will target Hossa, Havlat, and Gaborik.
I think the Kings should target:

Franzen, some veteran presence, size and scoring. Would play well with Stoll and Brown/Moller.

Antropov, top six forward, could play on the 2nd line, size/scoring.

Hossa would be nice, but I think will be wanting too much money and a long term contract. Great defensively, would play well in TM's system and obviously provide scoring. Osullivan, Kopitar, Hossa?

Gaborik, depending on his recovery from injury, maybe a reasonable two-year contract to prove he can withstand a season without being injured.

Havlat, not bad, he been pretty healthy this season, only 27 so could still grow with the team and productive. Provides speed and skill.

Afinogenov, take a chance on him with a cheap one-year contract and see if the change on scenery will help. ala Samsonov, hopefully better.

KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:05 PM
ashenhigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Great teams have been built outwards from the goaltending and defense. Once you get past the truly great forwards - Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Gretzky, Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman, etc forwards tend to be interchangeable parts.

On the list, outside of an aging Sakic none of the forwards have a history of making a difference to their team.
They may be pleasing to watch but ..................
Zetterberg won the conn smythe. How is winning the most prestige individual trophy a player can win, not making a difference?

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:13 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Tazer View Post
If the Stars re-sign Zubov it better not be over 5 million!!!!

He deserves a pay cut with all those uncertainties regarding his hip.
call it a crazy hunch but i dont think Dallas is going to resign Zubov.

I think they'll feel that they want to usher in a new age...

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
I hope the Isles can get him after we draft Hedman or Tavares. If the Isles get either Komi/JayBO and Hedman/Tavares, things will be a lot better on the Isle of Islanders.
Komisarek leaving Montreal is as unlikely as Zetterberg leaving Detroit. The only reason he hasn't signed an extension yet imho is because Habs have been decimated by injuries since the start of the season and we've yet to see a complete Habs roster firing on all cylinders. And because Gainey is a mute ninja. Very fews fanbases know less about what's going on in the front office than in Montreal, and that's quite a thing considering it is Montreal.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
sonetlumiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
some people are speculating Burke is looking for younger players (25 and under i assume) to build around, this by that logic Cammalleri could be too old for what Burke is trying to do
yeah, makes sense under that logic.. but if they're looking for burke type players, cammy shouldn't be too far off their radar..

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote