HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

March 4th: Craziest Trade Deadline Ever? Probably...

Old
01-05-2009, 12:42 PM
22twinfaith33

vCash: 500
You guys keep mentioning Toronto players moving yet you don't mention the most interesting name in Tomas Kaberle. Also Im sure Jason Spezza or Dany Heatley will be moved by Ottawa. Ottawa may have a fire sale when March roles around and try to rebuild which would be the ebst way to handle things as nothing else works. Also what are the odds Gaborik gets dealt as a "negotiation right" and perhaps "he will be back when we are deep in the playoffs" sort of condition ans logic. I believe that scenario is very possible and last checked Ilya Kovalchuk has 1 year left after this and Im sure if he does not want to sign they will trade him this year because they saw whats happend with Gaborik. And lastly, Martin St.Louis could move out of Tampa I mean he has been disgruntled there and to shed a big salary is what the crew in Tampa may want to do. These are jsut a few names that come to mind but I guess we will see.

22twinfaith33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
So with all these rumors about teams moving, players getting traded and all that, and again, a lot of teams thinking they're just one or two players from the promised land, March 4th should be CRAZY.

Obviously most young players are locked down on their respected teams, but some teams need a major shake up (Pittsburgh anyone?)

What do you think is gonna happen, what would you like to see happen, and who do think your team will make a pitch for and what will that pitch be

My deadline deal is this:

Flyers send a 1st, 3rd, Parent, Upshall

to

Florida for Jay Bouwmeester

that's what i'd like to see happen anyway. and obviously that doesn't work cap wise so here's another,

Jones and Lupul

to

Columbus for 2nd '09, 3rd '09, 3rd '10

AND THEN,

JVR pulls an Okposo and just dominates
Haven't we seen this before

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I think it'll be less crazy, because there is likely to be fewer sellers. As of right now - there are only 5 teams more than 5 points out of a play-off spot. That will probably drive the price up for the deals that do get done, but there will be significantly fewer deals done IMO.
The fewer sellers could create crazy returns. With only a hand full of talent available and plenty of teams close to 8th spot and higher teams than that trying to catch up to the Sharks, Detroit, and Boston in talent, there could be some pretty big returns for the right player.

If Florida is out of it and decides to deal Bouw, that return could be scary.

I don't think we will see as many big names moved as in the past, but we may see some bigger returns. Only thing is the draft is so deep this year in the first round or two that we may see prospects dealt before picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
Yeah i guess that statement wasn't very clear. I was basically saying that hopefully JVR turns pro like Okposo did; that being an only similarity. I expect JVR to make a serious impact and dominate when he comes to the NHL and make a statement all his own. hopefully that makes a little more sense.
Okposo has been playing great as of late. He seems to make plays every time he is on the ice now in one way or another, but I would expect JVR to dominate a lot more too.

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I would be extremely surprised if Kuba fetches a first rounder.
Like someone else said, if Craig Rivet can return one, Kuba sure as hell can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22twinfaith33 View Post
You guys keep mentioning Toronto players moving yet you don't mention the most interesting name in Tomas Kaberle. Also Im sure Jason Spezza or Dany Heatley will be moved by Ottawa. Ottawa may have a fire sale when March roles around and try to rebuild which would be the ebst way to handle things as nothing else works. Also what are the odds Gaborik gets dealt as a "negotiation right" and perhaps "he will be back when we are deep in the playoffs" sort of condition ans logic. I believe that scenario is very possible and last checked Ilya Kovalchuk has 1 year left after this and Im sure if he does not want to sign they will trade him this year because they saw whats happend with Gaborik. And lastly, Martin St.Louis could move out of Tampa I mean he has been disgruntled there and to shed a big salary is what the crew in Tampa may want to do. These are jsut a few names that come to mind but I guess we will see.
1) When you want to rebuild, you don't trade away a 2x 50 goal scorer who is 26 and signed long term. You also don't trade away a perennial 90pt center who is also signed long term. Spezza and Heatley are going nowhere. The Sens will, if anything, rebuild AROUND them. Besides, what are they going to trade them for... players who have the POTENTIAL to be as good as them?

2) Kaberle I`m not so sure will be moved. Last year TO was well out of the playoffs and he refused to waive his NTC to go to Philly, why would he change his mind now?

3) Waddell has ruined the ATL franchise, imo, and while I think he`s a retard, he`s not going to trade Kovalchuk while he still has 15 months to sign him to an extension. If something can`t be worked out by the deadline next year I think he`ll be moved, but as questionable as the decisions Waddell makes are, he`s not dumb enough to trade him now when he can still get a great return next year if necessary.

4) St. Louis is pretty much just as much the heart of Tampa as Lecavalier, and he`s signed for another 3 years at a great price - 5.25 mil. He won`t be moved unless its for an extraordinary return.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
22twinfaith33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post

1) When you want to rebuild, you don't trade away a 2x 50 goal scorer who is 26 and signed long term. You also don't trade away a perennial 90pt center who is also signed long term. Spezza and Heatley are going nowhere. The Sens will, if anything, rebuild AROUND them. Besides, what are they going to trade them for... players who have the POTENTIAL to be as good as them?

2) Kaberle I`m not so sure will be moved. Last year TO was well out of the playoffs and he refused to waive his NTC to go to Philly, why would he change his mind now?

3) Waddell has ruined the ATL franchise, imo, and while I think he`s a retard, he`s not going to trade Kovalchuk while he still has 15 months to sign him to an extension. If something can`t be worked out by the deadline next year I think he`ll be moved, but as questionable as the decisions Waddell makes are, he`s not dumb enough to trade him now when he can still get a great return next year if necessary.

4) St. Louis is pretty much just as much the heart of Tampa as Lecavalier, and he`s signed for another 3 years at a great price - 5.25 mil. He won`t be moved unless its for an extraordinary return.
Ottawa can get a lot of assets for those players and tkaing could equal a lot of assets plus a solid pick. they have not been able to win with them now why not try without them. Also we do not know Kaberle's mind but he has seen it all and if the right team came up you never know. Also Waddell would not be ruining the franchise because I simply believe Kovalchuk will not sign there in a year and a half down the road. Get the assets you can at its highest rate rather thanrisking it becomes a Gaborik situation. Also as far as Tampa goes what there doing right now is not working so why not trade St.Louis and tank it another year while yet again cashing a lot of young assets. Also Im sure Tampa will trade many guys simpyl because nothing right now for them is working just like the Ottawa case.

22twinfaith33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
That's assuming the 2009 Draft is the same as the 2007 Draft. '07 was considered to be below average at the time. '09 is supposed to be above average. Much like last year, '08 was a deep draft so teams were more reluctant to give up a first rounder. A potential rental like Brad Stuart got a 2nd+4th rounder. You can't assume that all first round picks are alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction
I think it will be actually a slow trade deadline for players that will be UFA's after this season. Why would a team throw all kind of picks or players for a "superstar" player when they can wait until the off-season and just sign him without having the sell the farm.
It's pretty much the last chance for a team to "improve" prior to the playoffs. If you can find a difference maker, that might mean 3+ more home game games which is more revenue for the owner. Money will mean more to an owner than say a 2nd round pick.

And there's no guarentee you'll be able to sign that "superstar" since there will be plenty of other teams vying for his services. In particular, I remember plenty of people around here in 2001 making fun of the Avalanche for "selling the farm" to rent Rob Blake. A number of Maple Leafs fans were already assuming they could sign Blake in the offseason.

And "the farm" in the most recent of rental trades hasn't exactly been incredibly substantial up to this point.

Like somebody else mentioned, I don't think this will be a "crazy" deadline compared to those of past years. The number of sellers isn't high and most of those teams don't have a lot of attractive players.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:09 PM
DarKarTs

Send a message via AIM to DarKarTs Send a message via MSN to DarKarTs Send a message via Skype™ to DarKarTs
I will be interested in seeing what doug wilson has in the mind for the sharks.

DarKarTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
The fewer sellers could create crazy returns. With only a hand full of talent available and plenty of teams close to 8th spot and higher teams than that trying to catch up to the Sharks, Detroit, and Boston in talent, there could be some pretty big returns for the right player.

If Florida is out of it and decides to deal Bouw, that return could be scary.

I don't think we will see as many big names moved as in the past, but we may see some bigger returns. Only thing is the draft is so deep this year in the first round or two that we may see prospects dealt before picks.
1) Agree that if moved, J-Bo's deal will be sick.
2) Disagree on the "crazy return". With the exception of J-Bo, there aren't a lot of players who realistically might set a new precedent for deadline deals. There are some nice players available, but none of them are elite at this point in the game. I'd be shocked if any of the rentals returned a Hossa like return (2 x 1st, 2x marginal roster players). While there returns might be higher than last year's deals, I don't think that GM's are going to sell the farm to get Doug Weight or Mathieu Schneider.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Rangers need wingers. have too many centers. I see Antropov and/or Gaborik coming our way(I know he is a walking band-aid).

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
crazyforhockey

There are few playoff teams who can just take on salary and give away draft picks.

Take Matheiu Schneider 5.625,what does that work out to ??? 1/4 season 1.4mil or is closer to 1/3 1.7 mil cost????? not alot of playoff teams have the cap space to take back salary.
Bouwmeester would be any where from 1.22-1.85 salry cap at this time.....he may be a poor example because you will have to give up at least one roster player for him....

Some teams will look to get a draft pick and some salary back--but it will be young affordable players--players the buying team may not want to trade.

Still some teams always overpay.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKarTs View Post
I will be interested in seeing what doug wilson has in the mind for the sharks.
He doesnt have to do much tinkering at this stage.Maybe he has McLaren ? up for the playoffs.....but he doest have much cap space to do much .880?

A 3.2 mil player if only draft picks going back???Cant really see any of your current rocter going back the other way....thinking its a step back...chemistry??

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Hunter07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
1) Agree that if moved, J-Bo's deal will be sick.
2) Disagree on the "crazy return". With the exception of J-Bo, there aren't a lot of players who realistically might set a new precedent for deadline deals. There are some nice players available, but none of them are elite at this point in the game. I'd be shocked if any of the rentals returned a Hossa like return (2 x 1st, 2x marginal roster players). While there returns might be higher than last year's deals, I don't think that GM's are going to sell the farm to get Doug Weight or Mathieu Schneider.
Just to clear up what I meant, I do not think that Weight or Schneider or who ever else will fetch a 'crazy' return as a superstar would. What I meant by crazy return, was a crazy return for them respectively. Due to the short list of sellers I think those guys will fetch more than people may expect, due to the short list of decent players available. I am an Isles fan, I don't see the Isles getting a first for Weight, but we may get a second and something else because no one else is around.

Then again as an Isles fan I don't think we will trade Weight unless some one really over pays for him. I think the Isles think he is worth too much as a mentor to trade him for the return he probably will bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Rangers need wingers. have too many centers. I see Antropov and/or Gaborik coming our way(I know he is a walking band-aid).
You mean the same Gaborik that is now going to be on the IR till maybe passed the trade deadline? Oh and not to mention that a player is more likely to get injured after being off the ice for so long. I don't think Gaborik is going anywhere, isn't there a rule against trading players on the IR?

Plus as an Isles fan, we have had at least 3 players with hip surgeries in the passed year. Comrie stopped playing hockey last year at the end of March. He had hip surgery shortly after that and finally now in late December/early January he is healthy.

DP stopped playing mid March last year, he had knee and hip surgery shortly after that. He still isn't back to 100%.

Sillinger stopped playing end of January last year due to his hip. He had hip surgery after that. He wasn't really able to play until mid December. Sillinger's hip never fully healed (probably due to age) he reinjured recently and I doubt anyone will see Sillinger play another game in the NHL unfortunately.

So people who think Gaborik will be back before the trade deadline, I think are crazy. And the team that is willing to trade valuable assets for him are even crazier.

Last edited by Hunter07: 01-05-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Ismellofhockey

ANA: could they deal a few of their impending UFAs?
ATL: Schneider, Williams, Perrin, Lehtonen? Exelby?
DAL: will they claw back into the playoffs?
EDM: Cole? Roloson/Garon?
FLA: Bouwmeester? Zednik, Dvorak, Peltonen, Boynton? Skrastins?
LAK: O'Donnell, Calder, Armstrong
NYI: Comrie, Guerin, Weight, Witt, Sillinger, Pock
OTT: Kuba, Vermette? Neil? Smith? Schubert, McAmmond, Gerber
STL: Tkachuk? MacDonald? Woywitka? Legace
TBL: Roberts, Recchi, Kolzig, Heward, Malik, Jokinen?
TOR: Kubina? Kaberle? Antropov, Ponikarovski? others?

That's about 40 players who could be available, a few big names as with every deadline, but a good variety of players, I think the returns won't be as high this year as in years past especially with a highly regarded draft crop in 2009.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:10 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Would anyone possibly take Redden for a defenseman on his last year that will be a UFA?

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:40 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

There are only five teams (Ottawa, TB, Atlanta, NYI, St. Louis) that are more than five points out of the playoffs.

Any one of them could get back into the race with a hot two week span, and there's no point speculating about any teams currently in the race unless they fall back and have players who are obviously not going to resign.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
The Oilers will make a few moves. If they are not in a great position come the deadline than they will be big sellers to try and tank 4 the lottery. If they are in a good position they'll be looking to add a few pieces. I can see Roli,Cole,Grebeshkov,Staios, Horcoff, going at the deadline.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
If they are in a good position they'll be looking to add a few pieces. I can see Roli,Cole,Grebeshkov,Staios, Horcoff, going at the deadline.
Can't imagine too many contending teams wanting to inherit Horcoff's remaining six years.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
The Oilers will make a few moves. If they are not in a great position come the deadline than they will be big sellers to try and tank 4 the lottery. If they are in a good position they'll be looking to add a few pieces. I can see Roli,Cole,Grebeshkov,Staios, Horcoff, going at the deadline.
The idea of "trying to tank" for the draft is one othat a lot of fans have but it is not one that managment ever seems to adopt.

The Oilers may wind up sellers (although I doubt it). However, don't expect them to purposely damage the team's chances this year in the hopes of rising in the draft.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Can't imagine too many contending teams wanting to inherit Horcoff's remaining six years.
unless it's to get worse so we'd trade him to a team that has another overpayed player to semnd them back. (just for us to get worse)

Old
01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
The idea of "trying to tank" for the draft is one othat a lot of fans have but it is not one that managment ever seems to adopt.
Nevermind the fact that the Oilers are still trying to recover from their alleged tank job in 2006-07.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post

The Oilers may wind up sellers (although I doubt it). However, don't expect them to purposely damage the team's chances this year in the hopes of rising in the draft.
that's why i said if there in a bad position at the deadline they will be sellers. Might as well ,it's not a great position to be in battling for the playoffs and than not making it and being stuck with a 10-15 pick. Lots of Oilers fans are quite high on trying for Tavares if were sucking.

Old
01-05-2009, 05:52 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Would anyone possibly take Redden for a defenseman on his last year that will be a UFA?
You would've had a chance if Mike Milbury was still in this league... so my answer is no. Satter is a moron for signing Gomez and Redden... period. He pulled a JFJ by giving retarded contracts to veteran players that aren't elite players anymore. Don't get me wrong, Gomez is a good player but he isn't worth his contract and Redden was going downhill for the past 2 or 3 years and get's a 6M$ contract for the next 6 years ?!?!?

Let's go Rangers..... Let's go Rangers.....

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:19 PM
dawkins121

"craziest" deadlines will always be those pre-salary cap. Before the lockout contenders could just load up on vets or expiring contract stars from other teams. It seemed like every year at the deadline Philly would be adding some former star a few years past his prime, now a lot of contenders are already scraping the salary cap ceiling.

So no, I don't think this deadline will be particularly crazy.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:21 PM
mapes

It will be but so is every year. Kaberle and Kubina will probably be traded, along with J-Bo.. some good defencemen available this year.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Hunter07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
It will be but so is every year. Kaberle and Kubina will probably be traded, along with J-Bo.. some good defencemen available this year.
Don't Kaberle and Kubina both have NTC? Why would they move this year if they didn't waive it last year?